Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Streets of Fire is totally rad. A lot of people classify it as post-apoc (certainly moreso than Blade Runner) but I think the movie's own self classification as a "Rock n Roll Fable" is pretty spot on. It's a very classic western plot but in a post-apoc steel town setting and with a general 80's music theme.

Six String Samurai isn't a good movie, but it's popular with B-movie people for a reason.

I can't say much new about Dark City (one of my all-time favorite movies), Blade Runner, or Brazil, but I have to quote these two because they are great fun, and not enough people have seen them.

Streets of Fire is almost like a hyper-distorted version of the 1950s as seen through a neon, coked-out '80s lens. It's an action movie, but also a musical (with two KICK-rear end Jim Steinman-written numbers bookending the film). I've often wondered if the lead, played by the forgettable Michael Pare, inspired Captain Mal's look on Firefly, but the movie also features young Willem Dafoe, Rick freakin' Moranis, and a gorgeous Diane Lane.

And Six-String Samurai has a sword-wielding Buddy Holly wandering a desert wasteland in search of the kingdom of "Lost Vegas," going up against evil bowlers, Russian rockabilly thugs (the Red Elvises, who performed the awesome soundtrack), and Death himself, who looks an awful lot like Slash. Unfortunately, it also has the most obnoxious kid actor I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

TomViolence posted:

Don't think there is a third season yet. There's a christmas special though, is that what you mean?

I'm just counting all my chickens before they hatch. I want a third season so bad.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I can't say much new about Dark City (one of my all-time favorite movies), Blade Runner, or Brazil, but I have to quote these two because they are great fun, and not enough people have seen them.

Streets of Fire is almost like a hyper-distorted version of the 1950s as seen through a neon, coked-out '80s lens. It's an action movie, but also a musical (with two KICK-rear end Jim Steinman-written numbers bookending the film). I've often wondered if the lead, played by the forgettable Michael Pare, inspired Captain Mal's look on Firefly, but the movie also features young Willem Dafoe, Rick freakin' Moranis, and a gorgeous Diane Lane.

And Six-String Samurai has a sword-wielding Buddy Holly wandering a desert wasteland in search of the kingdom of "Lost Vegas," going up against evil bowlers, Russian rockabilly thugs (the Red Elvises, who performed the awesome soundtrack), and Death himself, who looks an awful lot like Slash. Unfortunately, it also has the most obnoxious kid actor I've ever seen.

Oh man, Dark City is amazing.

If anyone wants to go see it, check out the director's cut and not the theatrical cut, because the latter throws in some bullshit narration that explains the entire premise right off the bat and spoils the fun of figuring it out with the main character.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It was also originally meant to be based entirely on Bruce Springsteen songs (hence the name) like some kind of crazy rock opera but they couldn't get the rights to the songs so they dropped it.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

There's a weird, upsetting little dystopian-or-is-it movie from yeeeears ago that's stuck with me in odd ways. It's called Final, starring Denis Leary and Hope Davis, and it's about a guy who wakes up in a mental hospital absolutely convinced that it's now a nightmarish totalitarian future.

It feels more like a stage play than anything else, and it's slow, talky and subtly unnerving. Recommended if you can find it.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Mad Max was mentioned but not The Road Warrior. Wonderful movie.

Talking of water deficiency, there was a short film I watched in college called Pumzi which is also very good. It's about a high-tech world that is dystopic in that water is so scarce the people in the society have to collect as much water as they can from their bodies, and one woman's attempt to let the barren world blossom once more. I imagine the last shot would make people :rolleyes: but I still liked it nonetheless.

Electric Lady has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Jul 2, 2015

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Kin-Dza-Dza!

It's a Soviet film about two Russians guys that get transported to some weird desert planet with Mad Max like societies. The architecture and machinery is janky and impractical in a very Terry Gilliam way. Similar aesthetic to the game Machinarium if that is more meaningful.

It's definitely very Russian in that it's pretty bizarre and whimsical for being dystopian. I speak Russian decently enough to understand it but there's a fairly good subtitled version floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GEKV1dOgY
DEATH RACE 2000! A Roger Corman classic starring David Carradine with Sylvester Stallone.

Peanut President has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Jul 20, 2015

• Locked thread