Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fionordequester posted:

[/i]. At the beginning, we guessed there would be many female fans who see Leaf, for example, and think “he looks so handsome inbattle, I don’t want to promote him![/i]

:colbert: .

:eyebrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Oh, good catch! Already fixed that :) !

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Now I'm imagining that "are you mad?" "I'm not mad" Pop Team Epic gag but with Jabarro and Aless.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You call her Aideen a couple times in that update, think you meant Lana.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Always good to see this back

Incidentally, Heroes got a Thracia 776 update so enjoy the artwork for Leif, Nanna & Finn. The other characters added are Thracia-specific

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So most of Celice's stats are in the horse?

That's a good horse.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fionordequester posted:

I'm actually kind of curious. Is he inferring that FE4 dancers have a bad reputation as glorified prostitutes (and Jabarro's surprised, because he'd have thought Aless was too straight-laced to be attracted to her)? Or is he saying that Aless is cold-hearted and ruthless enough that Jabarro couldn't see him ever getting that worked up over what happened to her?

This is Kaga we're talking about so the former is 90% likely. :sigh:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Eh, it was pretty much tradition in Western society for dancers to have the connotation of being "comfort women" regardless of what kind of dancing they did.
Even dances and performances that our standards today would be considered fairly tame would have been considered very lascivious.
Doesn't mean Leen or other dancers of the time actually WERE sex workers--but public opinion tends towards ugly assumptions.

Let's not forget that in Ancient Rome, actors, dancers and stage performers actually were on lowest rung of social reputation, arguably even LOWER than prostitutes.
In fact, it was actually impossible to be legally charged for raping an entertainer, since in Roman code their bodies were LITERALLY considered to be public property.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Nope, still not dead yet! This LP's like a snail crossing the Golden Gate bridge. It's gonna take a while, but eventually we're gonna make it to the end :cheeky: !

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fionordequester posted:

Nope, still not dead yet! This LP's like a snail crossing the Golden Gate bridge. It's gonna take a while, but eventually we're gonna make it to the end :cheeky: !

Well, this is the Dragon Ball Fire Emblem LP. This pace is to be expected, I guess!

this is a joke don't kill me, death is permanent here

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, this is the Dragon Ball Fire Emblem LP. This pace is to be expected, I guess!

this is a joke don't kill me, death is permanent here

Nope, the revive staff has three charges! Just need somebody with major Blaggi blood.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some new FE4 characters were added in the update, but I'm not sure if it's okay to show them, given what two of them are.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hmm...for cases like that, I generally like just saying...

"Here's X or Y spoiler thing in this link here!"

Kinda like a newspaper headline, you know?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I can work with that. Spoilers for two playable units and two enemies!

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Ares:_Black_Knight
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Lene:_Yearning_Dancer
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Ishtar:_Thunder_Goddess
https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Julius:_Scion_of_Darkness

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Now I'm imagining that "are you mad?" "I'm not mad" Pop Team Epic gag but with Jabarro and Aless.

Oh hey, never saw this from the last update. Where's that scene, now? Not sure if it's on Youtube, or not :cheeky: .

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fionordequester posted:

Oh hey, never saw this from the last update. Where's that scene, now? Not sure if it's on Youtube, or not :cheeky: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8RwJXlgTM

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Stillll not deeeead!!!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Thinking about it for a while now...and I'm thinking of putting this thread on hiatus. Let this one be locked just until I've regained interest in this game, and recorded a bunch of footage to the Epilogue, or so. Then I can just up and get all the updates out within a relatively short time frame of each other, rather than going for multiple months between updates.

That sound good to you all?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fionordequester posted:

Thinking about it for a while now...and I'm thinking of putting this thread on hiatus. Let this one be locked just until I've regained interest in this game, and recorded a bunch of footage to the Epilogue, or so. Then I can just up and get all the updates out within a relatively short time frame of each other, rather than going for multiple months between updates.

I mean... that's not actually going to happen, but you're not finishing the thread either way, so might as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fionordequester posted:

Sounds good to me! Take your time, perhaps Three Houses will make you motivated to update this again. Since trailer reviewing indicates that there might be some similarities to FE4. It's not like we have anything more to discuss in this thread for now :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
bumping in 2020!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, it's been a while, but, I am back at last. I'm still using the old patch and everything, and while I won't promise a completion in the near future... This LP will eventually be finished. Perhaps just in the same way Samurai Jack was "eventually" finished.

Chapter 7: Crossing the Desert

Anyways, let's review!

See that blue guy on the left? Well, he started out as an enemy, but then turned blue on Player Phase. He's Aless, and he's rescuing his girl Leen from an evil man called Bramsel. He didn't get the memo till now, though, so things can go really badly for him. His starting position is actually dependent on where your units are in relation to him! Sometimes he'll go way right, sometimes he'll hang back, sometimes he'll go way out left, sometimes he'll go southwest...you get the idea.

So you see the blue guy on the right? He's Oifaye, and moving him in the exact spot he's at made Aless move where we wanted him...

Right below Bramsel's squad, instead of right in the middle. So, there we go.

Also, Fee softens up this brigand with the Berserk Sword, switches to the Slim Lance...

Then switches to Slim Lance for extra killing power, all while visiting the village...

He prances around like some king, as long as there’s no Grandbell official’s butt to kiss. Oh, how I wish somebody would put that disgusting man out of his misery!

Then, from out of nowhere...

Especially that Aless. I wouldn’t want to meet him in a dark alley. He’s still young for a knight, but he has this magical sword called the Mistolteen. The story goes that Commander Jabarro found Aless as a child. Sounds like the two are very close. Anyhow, you wouldn’t stand a chance against Aless on the battlefield. Not to dash your hopes or anything. Here, this Shield Ring may be of some use to ya.

Dang, +5 DEF. They must REALLY want Bramsel dead! Anyway...

Aless & Oifaye go down (Aless is black, Oifaye is brown)...

Celice goes up...

Player Attack

Nanna & Leaf rough up a merc...

White Magic

And Lana warps Lester to Melgen because...

Yied Army

This is gonna be a big day for him. Jabarro's squad (Jabarro is Bramsel's flunky) presents a FANTASTIC opportunity for Forseti!Arthur to gain a TON of EXP!

Enemy Attack

Jabarro's forces are really weak, and Forseti!Arthur is super fast. The only problem...

Is Jabarro himself. 132 base HIT + 3 Leadership Stars means he's got about a 75% chance of landing hits, even on Forseti!Arthur. Since he has Adept, that puts Arthur in extreme danger. So, we need to somehow kill him, and ONLY him! How do we do that? Well, take a look at the Sword Cavalier stats...

...and compare them to what Celice will likely have...

21+ Defense is all you need for them to bypass him completely. The Bow Cavaliers aren't a problem, either, as you can just equip a 1-Range weapon. Hence, Celice will be sniping Jabarro while leaving the others alone.

Anyway, Darna's just assembled, and Aless got out of range. They're not doing much.

Only thing of note is Leaf proccing Continue on this dude.

Manster Army

Alster also has a turn, but...

They're foot mages. They have to go left a long ways before they're a threat.

Enemy Attack

Oh, and Fee gets an EP kill (EP = Enemy Phase).

Alright, here's one of the more crucial turns!

White Magic

Lana warps Delmud so he can talk to Nanna...

And everyone scrambles. The siblings are about to reunite, and Oifaye is making room for Arthur!

Aless also gets out of dodge (though he'll need to enter Darna)...

Actually, now's a good time to get him and Celice talkin'. Make sure they're on the same page!

Recruitment

Aless: I'm the Black Knight, Aless. But you might know me better as the son of Eltshan.

Celice: What? You're the son of King Eltshan!?

Aless: That's right! The very Eltshan that your father murdered! My mother went to her grave with that over her head! How does that make you feel!?

Celice: Really... But I thought our fathers were friends. I know things ended horribly, but I don't think our fathers ever resented each other.

Aless: That can't be... How could I have grown up believing the exact opposite to be true!

...The same way Jabarro lied to you before? Just sayin'...

Celice: Aless, we need some time to work this out. Why don't you come with us for a little while? Please consider it. Look, I hold King Eltshan in the same high regard as my father did.

Aless: ...Well, I suppose I could tag along for a while and see where things go. But if I find out you've been lying to me, I will gladly take your life in place of Sigurd's! You follow me, Celice!?

Celice: You do how you please. You just don't understand how ecstatic our fathers would be at us meeting like this!

I love Celice just no-selling his edgelord nonsense. It's great :allears: !

Now, Fee heads to Melgen as well (don't worry; the Desert tiles shield her from the horsemen)...

And here comes Celice, with his white, 12 Move steed!

Yied Army

Here comes!

The bowmen accomplish nothing, and the swordmen don't even try. Now it's Jabarro's turn.

Miniboss

Hey you did this to yourself, bud :colbert: . Speaking of Aless, here's their boss convo:

Jabarro vs. Aless:

Jabarro: Aless! You ingrate!! You won’t get away with this!

Aless: You disgust me. I hate to say it, but you’re going to die.

Actually, let's talk about Aless real quick, shall we?

Aless Overview

Manster Army

Back to Alster...

Yeah, I forgot to mention the armor knights headed up. They don't matter though; Losing Lenster doesn't hurt you.

Back to business.

Nanna's gonna talk to Delmud, while smooching Leaf...

And here we go! Forseti!Arthur's got 3 Leadership Stars! That's a +20 HIT & Avoid boost with which to dodge-tank everything!

Now let's fix Lana's Warp Staff...

And send Julia out to Yied.

See, Patty & Shanan are still out there, and the Arena's only at the HQ. Lana can't be in two places at once, so someone needs to do it in her place, once she's done grinding.

Now, look how many levels Arthur gets!

LOOK AT IT!! SEVEN LEVELS IN ONE TURN :woop: !!

Manster Army

Good thing, too.

The Magus Sisters are coming, and we want Arthur on that.

Anyway, Fee goes down a bit...

Aless gets out of the way while Arthur goes slightly right (he wants to get the Magus Sisters, but he doesn't wanna leave his scraps behind)...

...Then Celice goes up while equipping the 2-Range weapon. The bow knights could choose between him or Arthur, so we don't wanna encourage them to target Celice.

Now, let's have Lana give her Warp Staff to Julia...

One more turn, Shanan. One more turn...

Yied Army

Darna strikes!

Enemy Attack

...and falls right on its face.

Unfortunately, at least one of the guys went for Celice. It's not too bad though...

This level up is groovy!

Manster Army

Another boring Enemy Phase... But that's about to change.

One more turn, and it's an all-out magic war!

White Magic

Meanwhile, Julia warps Shanan...

Celica brings the scythe closer to Bramsel's neck...

...Aless continues to Leen while Fee continues to Arthur...

Yied Army

And Arthur gears up for war.

Now, this is important. Notice how the Magus Sisters are up front, while Tinny is all the way in the back? That's because the trio moves first, while Tinny moves last. With this narrow choke point, we've made it so Arthur has no chance of killing her on Enemy Phase!

Forseti!Arthur can blick them all without ANY fear of hurting Tinny! Get some Charm bots behind him (and Celice, if you wanna be extra safe), and he'll stomp!

Fee continues right and Aless continues up (trying to be more stingy on arrows, since those take time)...

And Celice is almost there.

White Magic

Julia gets Patty back home...

Yied Army

And now it's time for action!

Enemy Attack

The scrubs (who all wield Elthunder), have no chance of hitting him. Only the Magus Sisters can. They don't even hit for THAT much, either...

Miniboss

Eliu & Fetra only have 27 Attack...

...and Vampa has 30 + WTA. Vampa is the only one who really makes Forseti!Arthur look twice... But he has high enough HP that he can still Wrath her effectively (especially if you grinded him on Jabarro's squad, like I did).

Unfortunately, they don't feel like dying today. They teleport instead...

Oh well. We got the rest of 'em. The goons were guaranteed to miss, so no risk there.

And hey! Tinny is RIGHT in front of us! Let's talk to her!

Tiltyu & Tinny theme

Arthur: You're Tinny! I've finally found you!

Tinny: Huh? Who are you?

Arthur: Look, I have a pendant just like yours. I've been wearing it my whole life!

Tinny: Wow, they are the same. What is this all about?

Arthur: Well, my mother fought with the liberation army. After the war we all fled to Silesia. But my mother and baby sister were taken from me, and this pendant is all I have left of her. I found out just recently that it was King Blume who took them from me. I also found out that my mother had passed away but that my sister was still alive! YOU are my sister! I've come all the way from Silesia for you!

Tinny: Blume did all that!? I had no idea. I don't remember much of my mother. But I do remember that she always seemed so sad. You really are my brother, huh? This is all too much!

Arthur: Tinny, would you care to join our side? There's so much we need to talk about.

There is? Arthur just gave his whole backstory there. I can't think what else he's got....

Tinny: Sure. I didn't really want to fight any of you anyway.

Speaking of which, here are her battle quotes.

Recruitable Enemy

Generic Battle Quote:

Tinny: I’m sorry…

Tinny vs. Arthur:

Tinny: Sorry… I don’t want to fight, but…

Arthur: Ah, wait! Could you be…

And then Arthur cuts her to pieces and throws her into the wind with Holsety.

Tinny Death Quote:

Tinny: Ahh…

Not that she cares. Live her life, and you don't react to much of anything. That goes for her sub Linda, too. Amid X Linda have the exact same talk as Arthur and Tinny...

Anyway, let's do the overview!

Tinny Overview

White Magic

Now let's get Arthur back. He's got WAAAY more EXP than he needs :) .

As for Fee, she still wants Arthur.

Speaking of which, Julia's done her job, so...

Yied Castle Town

The Warp Staff gets fixed up, then sent back to the Pawn Shop (with the Relive staff sold to foot the bill).

Be sure to Wait in front of the castle, too. You'll see why later.

Let's take care of Bramsel once and for all!

Yied Army

Bramsel: Darna is my city, and I’ll never give it up!

And if you talk to him with Aless...

Bramsel vs. Aless:

Bramsel: What? It’s you, Aless!? You… you traitor!!

Aless: Bramsel! Return Leen!!

Bramsel: You’re too late! Right about now, she’s already… heheheh…

Aless: Y, you! I won’t forgive this!!

:ohdear:

Anyway...

It's a hard thing. On one hand, we've seen GIFs of Celice OHKOing guys over and over again, and they definitely take more time than just uploading screenshots. On the other hand, GIF boss kills have become as much a tradition as the DBZ comparisons. It's hard for me to scale things back, no matter how taxing it is on my attention span.

Besides, it's fun! Celice stomping fools with his Uber Hero Sword is one of FE4's greatest pleasures. So, more GIFs it is!

Now let's get the castle!

Levin Speaks

Levin: The empire’s military was crushing the liberation army on all fronts. The few soldiers that remained barricaded themselves in the fortress to tend their wounds. As they regrouped for what they believed was to be their last battle, a miracle occurred. Gods decended[sic] from the heavens and granted miraculous weapons and powers upon 12 young soldiers. The soldiers came to be known as the 12 Crusaders as they led the liberation army back into battle.

Celice: That was the Miracle of Darna Fortress, wasn’t it?

Levin: Yep, that’s right. And now another miracle is taking place, Celice. The Crusaders are once again beginning to emerge in the face of Loputousu’s revival.

Celice: …Huh?

Levin: Hahaha… You’ll know what I mean someday.

Levin, you're not giving him the birds and the bees. You can explain yourself a little :sigh: ...

Darn. It got captured.

These panning shots, I'll likely get rid of. Screen scrolling bloats the image size like heck, so finagling with that can be tricky. But we'll see.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 19, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Anyway, Aless is almost there! And guess what?

Johalva got hitched with Lakche! May their kids be blessed in every stat possible :3: !

Well, we've blicked just about every remaining threat, so... Let's do some Arena stuff! Patty's got a lot to sell and a lot to give, so...

Isaac Castle Town

We sell these two things...

Then buy an Iron Sword to get our Gold to the amount we want. Patty's got the Bargain Ring, so she can do that!

There we go!

More Warp spam for Lana!

White Magic

Now here's where we want Julia parked in front of Yied. You can't warp units to castles that're blocked, so blocking EVERYTHING besides the HQ means we skip the Warp selection menu! Frames man, frames!

Manster Army

New Enemy Phase... Not that they have anyone left.

Oh no, they captured Lenster. Aaaahh :geno: .

Enemy Attack

Also, here's one last guy attacking Tinny. He was the sole survivor of the Magus squad... Emphasis on "was".

Anyway, Arthur sells his Elite Ring, since others gotta have it..

Then I Return Tinny to HQ before activating this convo!

Nanna with Delmud (+1 LCK to Nanna):

Conversation 1

Delmud: Yes! I found you! I'm Delmud, your brother!

Nanna: Huh? Is this some kind of joke?

Delmud: Here, let me explain everything Levin told me. During the last war all us kids fled to Isaac. But then our mother, Lachesis, brought you here to Lenster just after you were born.

Nanna: If you're my brother, then where is she now?

Delmud: You mean our mother?

Nanna: She left me when I was around 3 to meet up with you in Isaac, but she never came back. I've waited for her to come home ever since...

Delmud: Mother came for me? But... but I never saw her!

Nanna: Oh, no! What could've happened to her...

Delmud: Well, first of all Yied Desert is no place for anyone to be traveling alone.

Nanna: Oh, no... Poor mother!

Yeah, that was her likely fate; Turned to stone by one of those jerks from Thracia 776. The game never confirms it, though.

On another note, this conversation is completely different if you're using their substitutes!

Tristan with Janne:

Conversation 1

Tristan: Yes! I found you! I'm Tristan, your brother!

Janne: Huh? You're kidding, right?

Tristan: No, I'm not! Our father was a knight of the Nodion Kingdom. He died in battle during the upheaval in Agustria. You and I were still pretty young then. Sir Sigurd's army ended up taking us in, but we lost track of you while fleeing to Isaac.

Ok... So where was the mother :raise: ?

Janne: Wow, that actually makes sense. I was picked up by a traveling merchant in Isaac.

Tristan: I'd say he saved your life.

Janne: But he was murdered by an imperial soldier. I was 7 at the time. And then Fin took me in.

Tristan: Geez, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, Janne.

Janne: That's okay. I'm just happy to have a brother! Tristan, we must make certain we never get separated again!

You know, she talks as though she didn't know she had a brother, but... They were alive in Sigurd's time? "Pretty young", but, still. Did Fin just... Never ask about Tristan? I'm glad the two have a unique backstory, but the details are really confusing...

Isaac Castle Town

Now then. Patty has more to give!

A LOT more to give, though make sure not to sell the crucial stuff!

More important, she has the Bargain Ring in her storage! See, parents pass down their storage items too, not just what's in their inventory!

Patty & Shanan spend some time together.

Lakche also gives a honeymoon gift to Johalva. Lots of sugar mommas in this episode, huh?

Let's get some sugar daddies in there, too, shake things up a little.

Actually, it's just the Uber Hero Sword he's selling. It sucks that we're taking Blume with just the Uber Light Sword, but the other guys need it more.

Also, this is a nice chance to get the Return Ring...

...And go home. Lana's gonna Warp him to Melgen so he can blitz Blume.

Plus, it's a nice chance for more convos!

Tinny with Celice:

Tiltyu & Tinny theme

Tinny: I'm Tinny, Arthur's younger sister.

Celice: Ah, so you're Tinny. Yeah, I heard about you.

Tinny: Um... I need to apologise to you.

Celice: No, don't worry about it. King Blume is your uncle, right? You didn't have a choice.

Tinny: You'll forgive me then?

Celice: Hahaha... Of course! Its good to have you on our side.

Tinny: Wow, you're very understanding. I wish I could've met you sooner.

Celice: Tinny, I know you have family out here, and I don't expect you to fight them, okay?

Tinny: Thanks...

Nothing much to say, other than I'll be marrying the two. Julia's not an option, obviously, and the other women are already gonna be paired to other men... So, Tinny it is. Besides, I like her :3: .

Leaf with Celice:

A New Advance

Leaf: ...I lost both my parents in the Battle of Barhara to a surprise Thracian attack. Following that Lenster was seized by the Imperial Guard under Duke Blume. Fin kept me out of harm's way. We sought shelter in a nearby village and waited for the day to liberate the motherland. The timing felt right, so we rose up. However...

Celice: We both took up arms about the same time. We've all heard of King Blume's bloody rule. I just wish we could've made it here sooner...

And I wish you hadn't interrupted Leaf mid-speech :mmmhmm: !

Leaf: No, sir. I take full responsibility for our failure. However, I have every intention of living up to my father's good name. He had earned the distinction that comes with being a Knight of Noba. With all due respect, would you consider including us in your liberation effort? With what little I have to offer I hope to assist in Grandbell's return to glory.

Celice: Thank you, Prince Leaf. People often say our fathers were two good friends who shared identical fates. And your mother was my aunt...They both gave their lives while trying to help to my father. Prince Leaf, I can't begin to express my sorrow to you.

Leaf: I'm very proud of my parents, sir. And I greatly admire your father for all he did. Its Emperor Alvis and King Trabant that I detest!!

Celice: That's exactly how I feel. I just want to respect our fathers dying wishes and return peace to the land. Do join us, Prince Leaf.

Leaf: With all honour!

Nothing much to say here. I do appreciate the way Boo sticks to British spellings, though. Sort of gives that medieval flavor.

Now let's rescue Leen! Remember, only Aless can do this!

Recruitment

Leen: ...I wish I could say so. Fortunately someone from the liberation army rescued me.

I'm not sure what Bramsel was implying to Aless. Torture, perhaps? Bramsel didn't order that, though, so there's not much to go on.

Aless: Forgive me. I... this is all my fault. I should've listened to you.

Leen: ...Forget about it. I'm just glad you came back, Aless.

Aless: I promise it wont happen again.

... :cripes: ...

Well, speaking of sexist cliches, let's talk about Leen!

Leen Overview

Also, here's her with Celice.

Leen with Celice:

Fighting Dancer

Leen: Don't think so. My name's Leen. I'm a dancer.

Celice: You're Leen, huh?

Leen: What s'matter? Never seen a dancer before?

Celice: No, I haven't.

Leen: Hehehe... You're funny.

And that's it. Bit of an odd conversation, though perhaps it's to contrast Celice with Sigurd. Sigurd was an older, married man who had no time for Sylvia's antics. Celice, on the other hand, is a younger, unmarried teenager, so he's a bit more flustered. Perhaps that's the point? Anyway...

Leen started with a Return Ring, so back she goes! Much as I'd love to start working on Ares X Leen, we need Leen for the staff bots. Oh well; We've got time.

In other news, Fee goes down to get to Arthur...

White Magic

And Lana Warps Celice!

Manster Army

Enemy phase!

...Whatever :geno: .

Now, Skasaha isn't needed anywhere, so he gets Warped to Darna to block off that pesky Warp menu.

At this point, we're just doing the Arena while Celice rides to Blume, so I'm not going to go TOO deep into detail on these next few turns. So, to sum up...

Arena Match

Lester sells all but these three items.

The Killer Bow & Hero Bow both have different uses The Hero Bow is cheaper and guarantees two attacks. However, it cuts Attack Speed by 8 instead of 3, and has 20 less Hit. So in general, I use the Hero Bow for weaker opponents, and the Killer Bow for more dangerous ones (like Wolf).

As you can see, Lester does really well, even *without* Pursuit! Also, as according to keikaku, he now has JUST enough to buy the Elite Ring next chapter, so long as he sells his Skill Ring!

Skasaha buys the Uber Hero Sword, and...

...Well, you can fill in the rest from there.

Tinny uses Wind along with Elthunder, for the same reasons Lester switched between HIS two weapons.

She uses Elthunder for raw power... But Wind's more helpful for the sword users.

Fin... is at a big disadvantage compared to the Gen 2 cast. He specializes only in lances, and his stats have fallen way behind.

Still, he has WTA against Wolf, and Prayer if it's needed. He doesn't have to worry yet.

Johalva shows off his Herc Axe and his amazing base stats by clearing out everything but the last opponent.

Could he eventually kill Wolf? Yes. Is it worth it? Heck no.

Celice clears the Arena partially for the HP refill, and partially just for some extra cash.

I Returned Delmud to HQ and sent Celice toward Blume, all while getting my pairings in a row.

Here we see Leen's power.

My set-up gives her instant Elite Ring, as well as untold amounts of control over her HP. Check 16:35 of this video to see!

Fire Emblem 4 Ranked Speedrun Route - Chapter 7 (Arena #2)

Yes, I've been busy while I was away. All the better to pump these out, when I finally did return :D !!

Funny thing is, I chose Leen specifically for demonstration purposes. I knew I'd overshoot the EXP Rank without her, as Johalva already gave the final push I needed... But looking back? I think raising her's actually faster than Johalva! Johalva's a pain to train even with his wife's help, and he only gains 18 levels. Leen just might be faster... Maybe. Depends on how long her battles take compared to Johalva.

But enough about that. Let's get ready for a DEATH BATTLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Fateful Showdown

Blume: As long as I have my Torhammer, I’ll never be scared of you little brats!

Speaking of "brats"!

Blume vs. Arthur:

Blume: What? …you, you’re…

Arthur: Blume, I’ve waited for this day! You’re going to pay for taking my mother and little sister!

Blume: drat, you little brat! You think you can beat me!?

Arhtur would've been great, but alas... He doesn't have his horse.

Blume vs. Tinny:

Blume: It’s you, Tinny!? You’re betraying me…?

Tinny: I’m sorry, Uncle…

Apparently, her "I don't wish to fight" thing only extends to strangers...

Blume vs. Leaf:

Blume: Haha, you’re Cuan’s son, right? So you’re still alive.

Leaf: You’ve made my people suffer, King Blume. You’ll die for what you’ve done.

Blume: Hmph, you idiot! You’re the one who’ll die!!

Now then...

Unfortunately, Celice is not faster than Blume; not with the Light Sword. For all his strengths, Celice tends to fall behind in Speed... at least, compared to some of the bosses. Plus, Celice can only tank two hits.

For this reason, I would've just rigged a Light Sword crit, if I didn't crit on this one. This fight could last a while, if I didn't.

White Magic

Also, YAY! Lana's gonna promote!

Manster Army

Anyway, Blume recovers a good chunk of HP. This is why I want double Light Sword crits.

Even Celice can't handle a protracted battle!

Bottoms up...

Fateful Showdown

Er... Whoops. Accidentally overwrote the movie file. Had to grab this from the Youtube video :( ...

Blume: Urgh… How…!? It’s unavoidable… I’ll have to retreat to Conote. For the time being, at least…

Off he goes. These guys are a stubborn bunch!

Oh well. Just get Celice next to the guard, and you'll seize next turn.

In fact, we want Patty & Shanan to Arena before he does!

Unit Change

Also Lana! She gets promoted!

Arena Match

She beats the Arena handily, like most Gen 2 units.

Aless' turn...

He's strapped for cash, so no Uber Hero Sword yet. That's ok, though. The Mistoltein tides him over till then.

Nanna gets in there as well...

...and demonstrates the power of the Uber Hero Sword.

She repairs it, too. She's a staff user, so she's not as hard up for Elite Ring time as the pure fighters are.

Leaf has great bases, and even better growths than his father. You'd be amazed at how effective he actually is...

And no, he doesn't need the Elite Ring. Not yet! He doesn't need to promote till Chapter 10, at which point, the Rescue Staff will be more than sufficient!

Not much to note on Oifaye & Fee. Oifaye is high leveled enough to not need the Elite Ring yet... And Fee is another staff bot, thanks to Claude. Hence, she just keeps her Shield Ring.

Almost done, so...

Let's finish off with Patty, Shanan, & Delmud!

Patty's got Bargain, so she also repairs the Uber Hero Sword.

And then she clears. Easily. This is why I love pairing Patty with Holyn. I'm not fooling! Holyn really is the difference between her stomping the Arena, and getting stomped by it!

Shanan reminds me of RNG abusing Allen or Sain in FE6-7... Except instead of "abuse", he literally just comes this way :woop: !

And finally, we have Delmud.

Delmud ends the chapter with the Elite Ring and Hero Sword. He saves money from not having to buy either back, and he's also one of the weaker fighters. Giving him that extra level of security seemed like the right thing to do, at the time... But looking back, I might've overdone things a little. Perhaps he shouldn't have bothered Thief Swording those Dark Mages? Oh well, not the worst thing in the world.

Mine's got 80% STR Growth!! Sooner we can get that workin', the better!

Now, let's talk about Leen's substitute, Laylea. She actually has an event unique to her, at this EXACT village! Leave it alone till she gets there, and she'll get THIS!

A Gift (Laylea Gets Barrier Sword):

Lover 2

Anna: My boyfriend left to join the war. I'd guess you're fighting for someone you care for, too. I wish I was strong like you. All I can do is sit back and wait. Oh, here. I have something for you. This holy sword will increase your resistance. Get in a few swings for me, will you?

Little does she know, her prayers are answered 1000 years from now... I fought her in Apotheosis, without DLC. Believe me, I know :cry: .

Laylea: Thank you, I’ll do my best. By the way, what's your name?

Anna: Me? I'm Anna and my boyfriend's name is Jake. If you run across him you tell him I'm thinking about him...

Laylea: Jake... Got it.

Jake was her boyfriend till like, FE7... Then he disappeared. Pity, that.

Also, here's Daisy; Patty's substitute. Have her Wait next to Shanan when Blume's beaten, and...

Daisy's Training (+3 SKL & SPD):

Dew & Patty's theme

Daisy: Guess who!

Shanan: Ahh!

Daisy: Ha... HAHAHA! I scared ya, didn't I!?

Shanan: D, Daisy! I nearly took a swing at you! Quit playing around, alright!?

Daisy: But I'm bored. And I'm too weak to fight anybody.

Shanan: I'll teach you how to use that sword then. I don't have much time, so I'll keep it real simple.

Bad idea. People who think they can fight are in more danger than people who know they can't...

Daisy: Wow! My own private lesson with Shanan! Wheee!

Shanan: You'd better take this seriously, or you can just forget it!

Daisy: Ulp... sorry.

Shanan: Okay. First, let's begin with posture. You'll want to... Hey! Are you listening to me!?

Daisy: Sigh... Hmm?

...But somehow, I don't see that being a problem. Not with Daisy, lol.

Finally, Fin's got like, a million different convos, depending on who he married.

Fin with Nanna (+5 SPD to Nanna):

Aideen & Lana's theme

Fin: Nanna, how're you holding up?

Nanna: I'm fine, father. You don't need to worry about me.

Fin: Your strong determination reminds me more of Lachesis each passing day, Nanna.

Nanna: Father, if you loved mother so much, how could you have let her go all by herself!?

Fin: To Isaac? Nanna, I've asked you before not to bring that up... That's between your mother and I.

Nanna: But...

Fin: You'll understand someday. Just wait till you're a little older.

Unless the answer is "she had sex with Beowulf, and I ran her out of the house", I don't see how this is a "Wait till you're older" situation :raise: ... Though now that I say that, he DOES come off a bit awkwardly, in these next two.

Fin with Lakche (+5 SKL to Lakche):

Aideen & Lana's theme (I don't have an easy way of viewing this conversation, so I'm guessing here. This plays for Nanna AND Lana, so, I'm guessing it plays here as well!)

Fin: Who are you?

Lakche: Hm? I'm Lakche.

Fin: This can't be...

Lakche: What's the problem? Hey, don't look at me like that. You're embarrassing me!

Off to a great start, Fin. Bring it home.

Fin: Ah, forgive me. You just remind me so much of someone I once knew.

Lakche: I do?

Fin: Yes. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are the spitting image of a woman I once loved.

...A little forward, Fin. Just a little.

Lakche: Oh. So were you two a couple?

Fin: Yes, but we got separated during the war, and I haven't seen her since.

Lakche: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What was her name?

Fin: Aira... You're the first I've met to parallel her beauty.

Lakche: Aira? You sure about that!?

Well, he sticks it regardless. Lakche had Johan & Johalva to contend with, so I guess she's used to this sort of thing.

Fin with Lana (+5 MAG to Lana):

Aideen & Lana's theme

Fin: Who are you?

Lana: I'm Lana. You're Fin, right?

Fin: You...

Lana: What's the matter? Please don't look at me like that. You're embarrassing me!

And this one's basically the same. Lana's just a little more dainty.

Fin: Ah, forgive me. You just remind me so much of someone I once knew.

Lana: I do?

Fin: Yes. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are the spitting image of a woman I once loved.

Lana: I see. Were you two a couple?

Fin: Yes, but we got separated during the war, and I haven't seen her since.

Lana: Oh, how sad... What was the woman's name?

Fin: Aideen. You're the first I've met to parallel her beauty.

Lana: Aideen!? That's my mother!

Now let's finish this! First, let's see what happens if Julia was K.O.ed...

Victory 1

Celice: Julia!? Oh my god! You're alright!

Julia: Yes, I'm fine. They locked me up in this castle, but I knew you'd come for me.

Awesome. Now...

Levin: Well, that's the way it goes sometimes, Celice. This war isn't over, you know. We've only just gained a foothold in the Thracia Peninsula.

Celice: But we have the total support of the people! They're always so happy to see us!

Levin: That just goes to show how harsh the empire's rule has been on them. The people are counting on you, Celice. But I think the worst is still ahead of us.

Celice: Yeah, maybe so. But I'm surrounded with so much talent! I can't imagine any obstacle being too great for us.

Levin: Yeah, the sky's the limit, Celice.

That's that! Thx for being patient with me, and God bless you all!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUB CHARACTER OVERVIEWS

Linda Overview

Daisy Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT AAAA RANKED RUN STATS:

Time Taken This Update: ~1 hour, 17 minutes and 17 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~17 hours, 12 minutes, 58 seconds

Turns Taken This Update: 12 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 259 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 70 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 665 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

On Chapter 4, I regret spending so much time disabeling the Arena bug for Fury's Arena fights; her combat stats didn't even matter once I promoted her! I also regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

On Chapter 5, I regret not having Dew sit tight after slaying that General; I didn't really accomplish much by moving him around outside, so I probably wasted about a minute or so.

On Chapter 7, I regret putting Fee and Arthur the same amount of spaces away from that dark mage as I did Julia. I was lucky enough that the attacked Julia anyway...but a mistake is still a mistake. Also might have wanted to refrain from Thief Swording the Dark Mages.

Level 22-24: 60 HP > 64 HP, 25 Str, 14(19) > 15(20) Mag, 22 Skl, 18 Spd, 13 Lck, 18(23) > 20(25) Def, 11(16) Res!

Level 1-6: 31 > 38 HP, 11 > 14 STR, 13 > 16 SKL, 13 > 14 SPD, 6 > 8 LCK, 8 > 9 DEF, 0 > 1 RES!

Level 13-23: 41 > 53 HP, 9 > 14 Str, 10 > 19 Mag, 14 > 20 Skl, 11 > 17 Spd, 25 > 30 Lck, 6 > 10 Def, 8 > 11 Res, B > A Staves, C in all Weapon Ranks!

Level 4-9: 33 > 38 HP, 14 > 17 STR, 10 > 15 SKL, 9 > 10 SPD, 5 > 8 LCK, 9 > 10 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 2-5: 31 > 36 HP, 11 > 14 STR, 1 > 2 MAG, 8(13) > 8 SKL, 9 > 10 SPD, 13 > 16 LCK, 8 DEF, 0 RES!

Level 15-16: 40 > 41 HP, 16 STR, 9 MAG, 17 SKL, 16 SPD, 8 > 9 LCK, 17 DEF, 8 RES!

Level 4-5: 27-28 HP, 1 STR, 14-15 MAG, 8 > 9 SKL, 12 > 13 SPD, 5 LCK, 3 DEF, 14 > 15 RES!

Level 2-6: 27-30 HP, 9-10 STR, 1 MAG, 9 SKL, 16 > 17 SPD, 13 > 14 LCK, 7(12) DEF, 9 > 13 RES!

Level 7-19: 40 > 56 HP, 1 > 4 STR, 11 > 16 MAG, 15(25) > 21(31) SKL, 15(35) > 21(41) SPD, 11 > 17 LCK, 2 > 5 DEF, 7 > 9 RES!

Level 12-14: 42 > 43 HP, 16 STR, 0 MAG, 7 SKL, 16 SPD, 5 LCK, 14 > 15 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 1-5: 31 > 36 HP, 10 > 11 STR, 4 MAG, 10 SKL, 9 SPD, 5 > 7 LCK, 10 DEF, 3 RES!

Level 15-17: 41 > 43 HP, 13 STR, 1 MAG, 15 > 16 SKL, 13(18) SPD, 16 > 17 LCK, 9 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 4-7: 32 > 35 HP, 8 > 10 STR, 3 MAG, 10 SKL, 8 SPD, 9 > 11 LCK, 5 > 7 DEF, 4 > 5 RES!

Level 13-14: 39 > 41 HP, 18 STR, 0 MAG, 23(33) > 24(34) SKL, 23(43) SPD, 10 LCK, 13 > 14 DEF, 4 RES!

Level 1-7: 31 > 39 HP, 7 > 9 STR, 0 MAG, 6(11) > 11 SKL, 9(14) > 11(16) SPD, 12 > 13 LCK, 3 > 6 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 7-9: 40 > 42 HP, 13 > 15 STR, 4 MAG, 12(32) > 13(33) SKL, 13 SPD, 6 > 8 LCK, 12 > 14 DEF, 4(14) RES!

Level 3-6: 33 > 36 HP, 0 STR, 9 > 10 MAG, 11 > 12 SKL, 11 > 12 SPD, 14 LCK, 2 DEF, 7 > 8 RES!

Level 3-9: 27 > 31 HP, 4 > 6 STR, 0 > 5 MAG, 2 > 4 SKL, 9 > 10 SPD, 6 > 9 LCK, 2 > 3 DEF, 4 > 5 RES!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 19, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Great to see this back! It's kind of weird to have concurrent FE4 runs with different translations, kind of neat to see the different names though.

Also thanks to the hiatus you got to make comparisons to at least one character that didn't exist before, so I guess it was a good thing!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Great to see this back! It's kind of weird to have concurrent FE4 runs with different translations, kind of neat to see the different names though.

I thought about that, actually. I was gonna let Professor Metis do his thing, but, then someone reached out to me on LP Beach, and... Well, the fire was lit again :sweatdrop: ! Oh well, we're three chapters apart, so, hopefully that'll be alright!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also thanks to the hiatus you got to make comparisons to at least one character that didn't exist before, so I guess it was a good thing!

Indeed!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I don't suppose there's an easy way of replacing the broken Tindeck links for the previous updates? Those're gonna be boring to replace, otherwise!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War! We all ready to meet some old foes?

Perfect! Then let us begin!

When the Rush Comes

The Thracia Peninsula has two very distinct faces. The northern half is an enormous fertile savannah[sic] home to several small kingdoms.

It's called "savanna", actually. That's what [sic] means; That the word was spelled incorrectly.

The south however is a barren wasteland lined with towering mountains, and home to the Thracia Kingdom and their infamous Dragon Knights.

With reckless valour Thracia made repeated attempts to conquer the northern fertile land.

However, each attempt met with opposition by Lenster’s Royal House and ended in defeat. After the massacre of Lenster’s army in the Yied Desert, Thracia’s perseverance finally seemed to have paid off.

However, a military force headed by Blume of Freege quickly moved in and subdued the area. Thereafter the empire appointed the region as the Northern Kingdom of Thracia under King Blume. During the ten-odd years that followed, not even the brazen King Trabant dared challenge the empire’s military power.

So not only did Trabant slaughter an entire royal family in cold blood, but he did it all in vain. He made things worse, if anything.

But the fall of the capitol in Alster to the liberation army presented a new twist to the delicate balance of power in the region.

That would've made for a really interesting twist; That Celice actually made life hell for the people living under Blume's watch. It'd even be a nice callback to Sigurd & Levin's conversation in Chapter 2, where they concluded that Sigurd was causing a mess, but was still doing what needed to be done.

But no, everyone who's not a bad guy is just 100% on Celice's side. Pity, that. Gen 2 gets a little stale at times...

After safely escaping to Conote Castle, King Blume began to amass a military force.

Meanwhile Princess Ishtar, better known as the goddess of thunder, fortified Manster Castle’s defense in case of a Thracian attack.

This is a weird plot point, btw. You'll see why.

And just over the border at Mease, King Trabant and his commanding officer General Maikov maintained an ominous silence. The people had only one wish, and that was for Lenster’s Royal House to return to power.

Alright, here we go!

Enemy Message 2

Chapter 8: The Dracoknights of Thracia

Gee. I wonder who we'll fight after Blume :rolleyes: ?

Blume: Vampa, I never imagined they’d pose a threat to the three of you.

Vampa: Forgive us, sir… but we have the situation under control now. General Muhammed’s squad have already reached Alster. And General Ovo’s knights will soon advance on Lenster. We, too, shall go back in.

They mean that, too. This chapter sends five mini-bosses at you at once! FIVE! And there's gonna be more!

Blume: Alright, I’m counting on you. Now what’s taking King Trabant so long to provide backup?

Vampa: We’ve sent several requests for reinforcements, but he has yet to respond.

Blume: Grr! What’s holding him back!?

Vampa: I recommend keeping an eye on King Trabant, sir. They say he’s not to be trusted.

And this is where the game's writing starts getting a little messy. Not that it was flawless before, mind. It's just that Chapter 8 is about where the cracks really start to show. See, Princess Ishtar is one of Blume's daughters, and as the game said...

Princess Ishtar...fortified Manster Castle’s defense in case of a Thracian attack.

...So on the one hand, Blume is asking for Thracia's help. But on the other hand, he expects foul play? Enough to give the Thor Hammer, and send her away? He's got no leverage on Trabant, either, so he's relying on nothing but Trabant's good will... while NOT relying on his good will, at the same time...

And yes, I checked the Naga translation. No, it doesn't make any more sense. It just made everyone say fancier words :sigh: .

Blume: Hrmph… Well, we’ll handle the rebel army with or without him. Vampa, Fetra, Eliu… move out. This time, no survivors!

Does Tinny count under "no survivors"? Or does Blume know about that?

Vampa: Without fail!

We’ve had just about all we can take of King Blume’s rule!

Sety: You mustn’t lose hope! Sir Celice’s liberation army is just to the west of us. Go… tell everyone it will only be a matter of time before they reach us. Believe me! Freedom is just on the horizon!

And if that fails, Sety is like, the most OP foot unit ever... On a castle. So there's that.

Changed my mind! Camera pans are here to stay, though they'll occasionally need to be chopped up to squeeze under 2.0 MB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwe2GbjSMPs&list=PL1755CAC79F44DA32&index=73Enemy Message 3 (Trabant%27s theme)

Arion: He claims the empire has lost both Lenster and Alster to the rebels.

Trabant: That’s Sigurd’s boy, right? Blume must be getting pretty old to let some kid walk all over him. Arion, don’t worry about Blume. Let the empire and the rebel army fight it out. I’ll strike when they’re both too tired to fight back.

Arion: I knew it. You’ve been holding out all this time, haven’t you father…

Trabant: You’re drat straight! The peninsula was finally within my grasp after disposing of Lenster’s knights in Yied. Then that Blume slipped in and stole it right from under me… He’s gonna pay with blood!

Presumably, the plan is to let Blume die, so he can take Lenster without provoking the Empire... Of course, that still leaves three surviving members of the royal family. Tinny is one, Ishtar is the 2nd, and the 3rd will be introduced in Chapter 10. They're all women, yes, but one of them's got a really, really powerful, uh... "boyfriend", let's just say. No spoilers, but... You could say he's got "connections". Not that he needs them. One way or another, he would make life hell for Trabant and everyone he loved. Just have Ishtar say the word, and...

Trabant was doomed from the start, is what I'm saying.

Arion: Father, I know how you must feel. If only we could take on Grandbell outright…

Trabant: Everything rests on the unification of the peninsula. The fertile lands to the north hold the key to eliminating poverty within our kingdom. Arion, our ways have often been likened to that of hyenas… Yet our mercenary work for foreign lands has meant the kingdom’s survival. However… I’ve had enough. It’s time we move up in this world. Arion, the rivalry before us will determine the fate of Thracia.

This is also where the game starts trying to make Trabant more sympathetic. Apparently, he was always meant to be that, way, according to Kaga...

Kaga (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War Playing Guide) posted:

[Trabant] was an extremely passionate man... He wasn’t a blood-thirsty person at heart... If he wasn’t born in Thracia, he would have been a true hero.

...But the game does a really terrible job of showing this; As though Kaga had a completely different vision of him than the rest of the writers did. I dunno. The whole thing's explored in more detail in Chapter 9, but, I wanted to bring it up now. Have you guys see if there's anything I'm missing, as we go through the game.

Arion: Understood, father.

Crisis 2

"Having exactly zero guys there DOES seem silly, in retrospect."

Levin: Yeah, I do. I can bet you King Blume isn’t wasting any time over at Conote. The citizens of Manster have also requested your help. We need to move… fast!

Celice: Alright. We’ll set out at once!

Correction: Leaf, Nanna, & Fin will set out at once. Celice just sort of... sits there :cheeky:.

Chapter 8: Dragon Knights of Thracia

Now! Let's look at the map!

This is also where the gameplay itself starts seeming more... rushed, for lack of a better word. Celice's path is a straight line, with absolutely no terrain or anything to get in his way. Instead, the game throws a parade of mini-bosses at him. However, most of THOSE don't arrive for a few turns, and you can even skip the last few of them if you're fast enough.

You can literally beat it in 6 turns, if you know what you're doing. Heck, this may only take me two updates, despite the tons of optional content. What we get, then, is a map with a ton of empty space. I suspect that's why there's three different secret events, as well as a Thief Ring in the lower-right.

This isn't getting into stuff like some of the blatantly mismatched tiles. I mean...

We've got this cliff looking thing that's a noticeably darker shade of green than everything else around it...

...We've got the ground tiles just left of the cursor that seems very... patchy in how they're laid out. They don't blend in with each other...

...And if you look closely, there's this greyish sort of outline all around the brown Peaks, right before they're supposed to transition to the green Mountains...

...I dunno. Am I on to something here, or am I just seeing things? Or perhaps it's just the palette?

Anyway, enough about that! Let's get going!

Chapter 8 Arena Footage #1 (click this if you get lost following the screenshots!)

Manster Castle Town

Now, Celice has some inventory to clear!

First, we're storing the Defense & Return Rings. Celice is going in a straight path, and most of this chapter's enemies fall under two categories...

1) Incredibly weak melee units

2) Magic users

For example...

This is who Celice'll be fighting first. And...

...they're only slightly stronger than Eltshan's Cross Knights in Chapter 3. Actually, Eltshan's guys had Steel Swords, and only had -3 in HP, and -1 everywhere else. That, and Eltshan had a holy weapon, and 5 Leadership stars (40% to HIT & Avoid vs Ovo's 10%). They're weaker, if anything!

Ovo is no prize himself. He has two Leadership stars, and no Class or Personal skills. That said, he's also the only mini-boss in the entire game with a unique portrait. No other boss re-uses it! His awesome hair is exclusive entirely to him... So, that's something? Whatever.

But yeah, Celice is now far ahead of his enemies, as they're really weak for where they are. I see no reason to keep the Power Ring on Celice. Not till later.

Now, let's get some Arenaing done!

Arena Match

As weak as Julia is now, she grows in leaps and bounds due to both amazing growths, and her staff botting potential. Good thing, too; She's gone during Chapter 10, for reasons I won't spoil.

The Skill Ring may seem an odd choice for Delmud, but it really is the best option. For starters, the Power Ring is in far higher demand... but more importantly...

...fricken OVERLORD ZENON here essentially has the touch of death against anyone who can't put him down in the 1st round. He's fast, he's strong, he's durable, and he has the Continue skill on top of that. Delmud needs the +5% crit and the +10% Hit. Otherwise, OVERLORD ZENON could troll him real bad.

There she goes, buying the Uber Hero Sword for the Arena, and a spare Steel Sword for killing MBandits. She still needs that Elite Ring, though, so...

There. Fee doesn't need the Defense Ring. OVERLORD ZENON hits her too hard for it to matter. The battle's gonna come down to luck...

Sadly, she doesn't get lucky enough on her SPD gains. She doesn't get outsped by OVERLORD ZENON, but, she doesn't get Pursuit against him, either. I had to retry a few times before she made it through to the end.

Patty's turn...

She gets a Knight Ring partially so she doesn't overflow on Gold, and partially because she's going to take the field this Chapter. More on that later, but for now...

Yeah, she also gets trolled by OVERLORD ZENON.

It's all good, though. Her boyfriend's Shanan himself, so, she can handle Swordmasters. Just needed a warmup, lol.

Also, remember her Bargain skill! It cuts repair costs in half, and also let's her do crazy inventory stuff! Like this!

That's her trying not to overflow on Gold. Not an easy task, when the Elite + Pursuit Rings total 40,000G, but we managed!

The irony with Leen, here...

...is that she actually has the easiest time of everyone so far, despite her stats.

Actually, it's because of her stats, along with Bargain, that allows her to thrive! She's so fragile, that getting her into Prayer range is trivial! Just give her +5 DEF, +7 DEF, or +12 DEF as needed and there she goes! Only thing that can throw her is an untimely Sun Sword proc...

Looking good, Leen :dance: !

Oh, and careful when selling HER stuff, too. She's also liable to overflow!

Now, before we go further...

Let's get Celice to Lenster, and we want Leen to Dance soon. Don't want Lana wasting a Warp opportunity.

Manster Castle Town

Now ,let's do something awesome!

First, Patty drops herself to ~18000G with those two rings...

...And gives it to Aless. Now he can buy the Elite Ring!

But we're not through yet!

Now we sell some loot for 17500G...

...and help Arthur out, too. Now he's got money for Holsety repairs!

Arena Match

Tinny goes through the Arena, mostly with a plain Wind tome. She also uses Elthund to counter Marda's Elfire...

And then switches between Elwind & Wind for OVERLORD ZENON. Dude's annoying enough even with the ability to cleanly 2HKO...

...Unless, of course, your name is Arthur. Didn't even promote him till he cleared everything, either. SPD is the only stat he was even close to capping...

Unit Change

...and Mage Knights only have a SPD cap of 22, so it really doesn't make a difference.

Yes, those numbers are with Holsety added in. Stats can't go past 30 by themselves!

Manster Castle Town

Now regarding Johalva, it'd be nice if I could have him beat the Mercenary in the Stage 4 fight. Unfortunately, it's an axe man vs a sword man, where axes are almost as bad as they've ever been.

So, I settled for just giving him the Elite Ring first, to drain some cash. After that...

Arena Match

I had Skasaha wear down the Uber Hero Sword a bit as he cleared the arena...

Had Lakche buy said Uber Hero Sword at a slight discount (since it's not at full uses)...

...before clearing the Arena herself.

And then she got to donate about 17,500G to her hubby. With that...

Johalva got the Defense Ring as well. This, by the way, was why Johalva had to buy the Elite Ring before Lakche's donation. Otherwise, he would've capped at 50000G. Now...

The Mercenary could do naught but plink at Johalva :haw: !

Of course, Johalva sells the Elite Ring immediately after, but that's ok. He's gonna snag about x5 civilians to promote. After that, he should be capable of beating everyone but OVERLORD ZENON.

For most units, the Holy Weapons are an almost necessary step to true greatness. For Aless, however...

...it's just a stopgap. Something to make do till he's got enough for the true ultimate weapon: The Uber Hero Sword!!

Now here's a problem. Aless is 4 levels under the threshold for capping off Arenas... But he's already juiced THIS one for all its worth! What's we gonna do to make up the difference?

Well, keep the Elite Ring on him, and find out NEXT time! God bless you all!

Time Taken This Update: ~38 minutes and 45 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~17 hours, 51 minutes, 43 seconds

Turns Taken This Update: N/A

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 259 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 44 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 709 Levels

Things I Regret: In the Prologue, I regret the fact that Noish had to hang back as I rigged levels for Sigurd in the Prologue.

In Chapter 1, I should've brought Midir to guarantee that Kinbois's men would be taken down without issue.

On Chapter 2, I regret the fact that Ardan built up so many love points with Aira even though that pairing's been written out of the route, I regret making that positioning mistake with Fin, and I wish I hadn't made that careless mistake with Sigurd attacking that guard near Boldo (even if it did end up working out). I regret deciding to not just get Deirdre to Level 30 by the end of Chapter 2. I regret wasting something like 12 minutes rigging Aideen a win against Keimos, when it ultimately didn't end up doing much for Jamka anyway. And I could have manipulated Dew's Gold a bit better so that Aira got just 18,000G instead of 22,470G.

On Chapter 3, I regret selling Deirdre's Aura tome! I'll bet she TOTALLY could've kicked Manfloy's butt, if ONLY I hadn't taken that away :gonk: !!

On Chapter 4, I regret spending so much time disabeling the Arena bug for Fury's Arena fights; her combat stats didn't even matter once I promoted her! I also regret not having Claude turn around sooner. I also regret not repairing the Return Staff before giving it to Aideen.

On Chapter 5, I regret not having Dew sit tight after slaying that General; I didn't really accomplish much by moving him around outside, so I probably wasted about a minute or so.

On Chapter 7, I regret putting Fee and Arthur the same amount of spaces away from that dark mage as I did Julia. I was lucky enough that the attacked Julia anyway...but a mistake is still a mistake. Also might have wanted to refrain from Thief Swording the Dark Mages.

Level 6-12: 38 > 45 HP, 14 > 19 STR, 0 MAG, 16 > 20 SKL, 14 > 18 SPD, 8 > 9 LCK, 9 > 12 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 14-18: 48 > 55 HP, 17 > 18 STR, 1 MAG, 25 SKL, 18 > 20 SPD, 11 > 13 LCK, 14 > 17 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 23-24: 53 > 55 HP, 14 > 15 STR, 19 > 20 MAG, 20 > 21 SKL, 17 SPD, 30 LCK, 10 DEF, 11 RES!

Level 9-14: 38 > 44 HP, 17 > 22 STR, 15 > 19(24) SKL, 10 > 12 SPD, 8 LCK, 10 > 12 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 5-6: 28-29 HP, 1 STR, 15-16 MAG, 9 SKL, 13 SPD, 5 > 6 LCK, 3 DEF, 15 RES!

Level 6-11: 30-32 HP, 10 STR, 1 > 2 MAG, 9 SKL, 17 > 18 SPD, 14 > 16 LCK, 7(12) > 9 DEF, 13 > 16 RES!

Level 19-21: 56 > 58 HP, 4 > 9 STR, 16 > 19 MAG, 21(31) > 22(32) SKL, 21(41) > 22(42) SPD, 17 > 18 LCK, 5 > 9 DEF, 9 > 11 RES!

Level 14-16: 43 > 44 HP, 16 STR, 0 MAG, 7 > 8 SKL, 16 SPD, 5 LCK, 15 > 17(22) DEF, 1 RES!

Level 7-12: 39 > 46 HP, 9 > 13 STR, 0 > 1 MAG, 11 > 15 SKL, 11(16) > 12(17) SPD, 13 > 17 LCK, 6 > 7 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 9-14: 42 > 47 HP, 15 > 19 STR, 4 MAG, 13(33) > 15(35) SKL, 13 > 14 SPD, 8 > 11 LCK, 14 > 18 DEF, 4(14) > 6(16) RES!

Level 6-9: 36 > 40 HP, 0 > 1 STR, 10 MAG, 12 > 14 SKL, 12 > 15 SPD, 14 > 16 LCK, 2 DEF, 8 > 9 RES!

Level 9-14: 31 > 36 HP, 6 > 8(13) STR, 5 > 6 MAG, 4 SKL, 10 > 12 SPD, 9 > 11 LCK, 3 DEF, 5 RES!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 29, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Thinking of it now, Blaze Dragon's right. Having two LPs might get confusing. So, is there anything special I should do, regarding WHEN I put out an update? Like perhaps try to release them concurrently with Metis? Or perhaps a certain number of days later than his specific update?

Or perhaps just release them whenever? Whaddaya think?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 1, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Don't think too hard about it. Update when you feel like it, it's pretty obvious which LP is which, I don't think anyone will get confused.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, they're at wildly different points in the game now.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hello, my fellow lightbringers! We ready for more FE4!? Let’s get started!

Oh hi, Julia. What’re you…

Julia with Celice (+1 LCK to Celice):

Lover 3

...They went there. The sound team actually went there. Celice & Julia are half-siblings, and the sound team puts LOVER 3?!? :bang:

Julia: …I’m scared. I sense something evil in this area.

Celice: Why’s that?

The music dims...

Julia: …Celice, be careful… Ishtar is extremely powerful… You must not fight her!

Celice: Julia? What’s gotten into you!?

The music goes back to normal

Julia: …Huh? W, what’s going on!?

Celice: Julia!

Anyway, that makes Celice luckier somehow so… Actually no, let’s just pretend this never happened.

PLAYING THROUGH:

There! Now he’s where he was at the end of LAST update ^_^ !

Anyway, Celice beats some dudes in the Arena so he can buy… Well, the Uber Hero Sword, first of all. But also…

The Skill Ring!

Yes, this is an important purchase, believe it or not! It makes the difference between perfect accuracy and imperfect Accuracy against the map’s strongest boss. You’ll see!

So here’s one of the most important parts. Aless is a monster, and a valuable investment… But he’s also underleveled. One of the mini-bosses are also directly to the upper-left of Alster, so this is a perfect chance for him to grind! Arthur & Fee have jobs to. So, here they all are.

Now, let’s see that Talk!

Arthur with Fee (+3 HP to Fee, 100 Love Points):

Lover 2

Arthur: Yeah… I guess you could say that.

Fee: Really… Hmph… And here I thought you could only think of yourself. It’s nice to be proven wrong.

...People are very direct in this translation, aren’t they?

Arthur: Yeah… Well, let’s just say you’re an exception.

“Now, OTHER people, I could care less about. As seen by my fighting against the Empire.

Fee: How’s that?

Arthur: Look, just be careful, okay? I’ll see you around.

Fee: Arthur…

But seriously, what IS this plot point? Arthur’s been laid-back and chill since he came into the game. He’s done nothing mean, said nothing mean, and he’s fighting to find his sister and fighting to liberate the people… So what are these jabs?

Could it be that this patch mistranslated the line? Is he actually more like Python, from Echoes? Someone with no ambition at all? Someone who’s lazy, not selfish? And Fee’s comments are more like “I didn’t think you ever got worked up about anything?”

It would make sense! It would fit perfectly into his character, as well as all his past interactions wi-

…Oh. Well that ruins that, then.

~Aaaaaaanyway… Lester gets Warped over to Lenster.

Him, Patty, and Fin will all be gathered there, for reasons.

Actually, Fin’s got a Talk to do!

Fin: So buckle down. Things are bound to get rough.

Leaf: You think I don’t know that? I’ve been praying for this day to come, you know… My father’s dying wish was to return peace to the Thracian Peninsula. And I’ll do whatever is necessary to end King Blume’s reign. Even if it takes my life…

Fin: …Your Highness! What a careless thing to say! Anyone who’s in position to become king must stay alive for the people at any cost!

That’s gotta be hard, as a military leader. The people DO need you alive, but that can also be a really easy excuse for cowardice. Leaf’s likely aware of that, so he and Fin have probably had this conversation a lot...

Leaf: You’re right… Sorry. I know you went through a lot to keep the empire from finding me. You often went without food while we were in hiding, but you never once let me go without… I finally realise all the sacrifices you had to make for me, Fin. Thank you so much.

I’ve never played Thracia 776. I wonder if that’s something to consider doing as a next LP? It’d have to be a video LP, of course. I’ve found those to be much funner.

Fin: Your father’s life-long dream was to see the war torn Thracia Peninsula united. You must keep his dream alive, for you are the only one who can pull it off now.

And this brings up another interesting thought.

Trabant has a family. Far as everyone knows, he’s got at least one son, at least one daughter, and likely a few relatives. There IS no “united peninsula” for as long as Thracia has a royal family, right?

So what’s this talk about a united peninsula? Were Leaf & Fin already planning to kill Thracia's entire royal family? Not just Altenna & Arion? Would that really in-character for them? Again, haven’t played Thracia, so I don’t know the characters well enough to say. Any thoughts on that?

+3! That’s stupid high, especially with crits!

Manster Army

Alright, Enemy Phase! Let’s see-

OH COME ON :cripes: !!!

Muhammed: Now go get Alster Castle back. I’ll take your head off if any one of you doesn’t follow my orders… Now attack!

This is deliberate... It has to be. They even reference him taking off someone’s head, in both the Boo & the Naga translation. You know, like Shagaal took off Eltshan’s head? Plus, they had plenty of portraits to re-use. Ovo’s, for one.

But nope! Here's one of Gen 1’s primary antagonists: Some white guy called “Muhammed”, with blonde hair.

Anyway, they didn’t go very far. They keep formation and take baby steps downward.

Ovo: We’re not about to let General Muhammed’s squad show us up, understood!?

Well, they certainly went farther.

I’d joke, but, they DO have something up their sleave.

See this? This is Aless, and he takes magic like a champ.

See? The Magus Sisters 5HKO him. Plus…

Miniboss

They always attack from 1-Range, even though they have tomes.

Aless sounds like an instant-win button, for this reason. He has Mistoltein + Critical + Ambush, so he can smoke them like nobody’s business… Right?

Just one problem.

Yes, they have the TRIANGLE ATTACK!!

This is a series staple, involving three warriors with a familial bond. Just have two of them next to the enemy, and the third sibling will score an automatic critical hit! This is usually reserved for the good guys… But not in this game. This game, it’s reserved for these three, as well as another trio in the Final chapter.

So, Vampa stomps as Aless asks the existential questions. So, while Aless IS still your best mage buster, he’s gotta taking all three of them on the same turn. That…

...Or you just send Celice. Why? I mean besides his OP stats?

Manster Army

Awareness. “Nihil”, going by modern translations. It negates all critical hits, including the Triangle Attack! So once again, Celice is our man.

Chapter 8 also marks the turning point for Awareness, by the way. It was mostly useless in Gen 1, apart from some edge-cases. Gen 2, though? You’ve got multiple end-game bosses rocking Killer weapons and Critical skills, so it suddenly gets really nice to have!

Now it’s our turn!

Reminder that Patty has to recruit someone.

Leen needs to help Aless out soon, so I have her Dance as she’s coming out.

You can’t see them, but there are two Armor Knights just above Aless, so that’s what he’s doing. Fee’s flying right, to save one of the two villages I showed!

Also, here’s Patty and Fin. Celice will catch most of Ovo’s men, but the five Troubadors will ignore him. Fin’s there to take care of them.

Now for the boss!

“’Ovo’? Mo’ like yo days are Ovo!

Miniboss

I’ll give him this: He survived a crit. That’s something.

Now break out that Light Sword, cuz we’re taking everyone this round!

Manster Army

And yes, I do mean evereyone :dance: !

Well, after Lester gets targeted once, with the Killer Bow equipped. This is where lacking Pursuit hurts him… So he’s here to collect the Power Ring. May as get some EXP as he does.

Now then! Watch THIS!

There’s most of Ovo’s goons…

Now for the Magus Sisters.

And there we go. Can’t blame this on me overleveling Celice, either. Aless KOs them almost as easily! At base level!

Actually, let’s see how Aless is doing!

Enemy Attack

I love Holy Weapons in this game. I really, really do! They’re some of the only Holy Weapons in the series that actually live up to the hype. I wouldn’t want a remake to change a thing!

Also note how much EXP Aless got. These guys’re all 3-4 Levels higher than him, so Aless his gain is fantastic :allears: !

Anyway, that’s all Aless is killing this EP.

Well, that’s it for those guys…

Now we kill the bridge General while getting onto a Church. Haven’t used one of those in a while, huh?

Also, Fin, goes around…

Player Attack

So Lester can secure the deathblow!

Now, Lester wants to be directly behind Fin, so the Troubadors don’t attack ‘em. Patty can just move as far as she can.

Back to Alster. Leaf & Nanna have almost come home…

And I’ve made a Jealousy Formation with Skasaha and Lana!

Also, Aless kills another guy, then goes just out of range. Also somewhere Leen can Dance.

Now, Fee’s going up to the village, and not down to her secret event.

Let’s see what the latter would’ve looked like!

(Same Music)

Fee: How’re you holding up, Mahnya?

It’s nice, having Metis in Chapter 4. Means I don’t have to remind y’all who Mahnya is :cheeky: !

Fee: Being named after a hero of the kingdom, my aunt no less, must count for something… Once this war is over, you and I are heading back to Silesia. Sound good? And maybe I’ll find me a handsome boy and get married! Ha ha! But that’s a ways off yet. Hang in there, Mahnya!

And that’s that!

Cutscene time at Conote!

Enemy Message 2

Faval: Look, I’m busy, okay? So if you’ve got something for me, spit it out.

He says to the king with a Holy Weapon… Well ok, Blume doesn’t have it now, but Faval doesn’t know that.

Blume: Grmph… I had you summoned because I have a favour to ask of you.

Faval: What kind of favour?

Blume: I need your help in bringing down the rebel army.

Faval: Not interested. Find another mercenary to do your dirty work.

Faval specializes in clean mercenary work, you see. He’s super picky about it. How does he make ends meet, despite that?

Well, I was going to mock the plot again, but...

Blume: understand you have several orphans under your care. It seems you could use the money. I hear your younger sister has resorted to theft to make ends meet. That doesn’t bother you?

...Actually, it explains it right there. He’s NOT making ends meet, and being picky about his dirty work is probably why.

Faval: Patty really goes out of her way for those kids…

Dun dun DUN!! Brigid had TWO kids, and Faval’s the brother!

Faval: Hmph… we could use the cash.

...Of course, that gets weird when you realize he’s letting her steal. His own sister. This isn’t even getting into the problem with his substitute, Hawk. More on that, later…

Blume: Then we have an agreement? You finish off Celice and all the money you want is yours.

Faval: Agreed.

This seems like a really bad id-

Faval: I’ve a feeling I’m going to regret this…

...Exactly. And…?

Faval: ...but I’ll help you just this once.

...And he does it any way. The scene needed to end there, I guess.

Manster Army

Aless is out of range, fortunately. Muhammed would have gotten him, otherwise.

Yeah, he’s not super strong. He’s got just two Leadership Stars, and doesn’t have personal skills… But he’s got 2-Range and Hero Weapons. Aless doesn’t wanna get hit if he doesn’t have to.

This is Fin attracting Troubadors…

And those Xs are the result! All five of them are gone now!

And these Xs are Celice blasting the Armor Knights!

Finally, that 8% HIT is the result of WTA!

Magic Swords obey the magic triangle when the opponent attacks from afar!

Also, there’s the Church healing! Pretty neat VFX, eh?

Now! Celice blicks the MBandit, then switches to the Hero Sword.

As for the others, Fin’s done here. He heads back to Lenster to fight some Arena guys later.

Then, these two go further right. Patty’s recruiting Faval, as you might have guessed.

Aless and his girl keep chipping away…

Manster Army

Then Faval takes his shot.

It’s actually very important Celice ends at either this spot here, or the tile just lower-left of it. Put him anywhere else, and you risk Faval blocking his path! We want Celice to skip Faval entirely, so this is important!

Recruitable Enemy

Also, here’s something interesting. Faval has the Ichival AND a Silver Bow…

...and the one he choses is random! His choice of weapon changes depending on how he feels.

Doesn’t end up relevant, but still! Interesting.

Nothing interesting otherwise. Some long-range attacks here, some Mbandits there… We kinda killed everyone else.

Let’s move on.

Fee comes to save the village! Sorry about the textbox in the way…

Player Attack

But yeah, reminder to Thief Sword your Mbandits first. They give 5000G each!

Now Aless is LVL 16, so he’s almost at this chapter’s benchmark. The Bow Knight isn’t as high leveled as the Priest, though, so we take a chance.

Priests aren’t weighed down by weapons, so Aless gets just one guaranteed attack.

He needed Continue or Critical. Otherwise, the guy might’ve lived!

Back at it, and…

Booyah! Just 42 EXP from where he needs to be :dance: !

Doesn’t need to kill Muhammed or anything! Just whacking him will do :cheeky: !

This is as far as Patty can go before the long-range guys can hit her. Fortunately, she and Lester are exactly where they need to be :) !

Same for Celice, who kills the leader of said guys (he grants a +5 HIT bonus), then goes riiiiiiight outside Faval’s range. Faval’s scripted to attack Lenster, so he’ll ignore Celice outright!

Enemy Phase! Will something happen this turn?

Enemy Message 2

Yes it will! It’s Ishtar!

They finally make up their minds about Thracia? Pretty big fricken difference between “we’re expecting them to help us” and “we need to guard Mease from them”…

But enough nitpicking.

Notice how deferential Blume is, here. Everyone else, he barked orders at. This is the first person he’s actually said “please” to.

Ishtar: Father, this so unlike you! How could a petty band of rebels get you so worked up?

Or perhaps it’s because he has an actual bond with her?

Blume: They’ve already killed your brother, Ishtor, and we’ve lost Tinny as well. I can’t rely on Vampa and her sisters either… You’re all I have left!

Also like how Blume keeps things vagues with Tinny. She coulda been killed, she coulda been recruited, or she coulda just disappeared.

Ishtar: I see… I’ll need the Torhammer then. I can take care of the enemy blindfolded with that in my possession.

Blume: You want th… the Torhammer!? Hmph… Alright, take it. Just don’t slip up!

Ishtar: I won’t… I can handle this.

Famous last words.

Manster Army

And there she goes, just 1 space away from attacking Celice instantly. We’ll get to THAT death-match soon…

…But let’s see how Aless is doing, first!

Enemy Attack

Nice! He’s over the benchmark!

Now it’s just a matter of surviving Muhammed. Can he do it?

Miniboss

And that’s all he says. Much more taciturn than Shagaal ever was.

Much stronger, too. Shame about his face…

Manster Army

Here we see the contrast between Faval & Ishtar. Faval, naivety aside, isn’t really for this whole thing, so he goes about half his full movement in the general direction of Lenster.

Ishtar, on the other hand, is part of the royal family, so she WILL pursue the closest enemy with her full movement!

In fact, let’s talk about her for a bit; She’s owed that much.

Ishtar, Ishtar, Ishtar… Well, let’s show her bonus convo with Tinny, first.

ISHTAR VS TINNY:

Fateful Showdown

Ishtar: Hey, aren’t you Tinny? Why are you fighting me?

Tinny: Ishtar!? I, I’m sorry…

Ishtar: So, you’re betraying us… I misjudged you, Tinny!

FYI, don’t ever do this. Ishtar will murder her.

Anyway, Ishtar is one of the most infamous sub-bosses in the entire game, and for good reason. She targets RES with a Holy Weapon, and has a 59% chance of proccing Continue. In practical terms, that’s a 59% chance of erasing anyone she wants to.

183 HIT is obscene, too. Here’s Arthur w/Holsety, for example…

This is the fastest anyone can be, besides Shanan… But 183 – 92 is STILL 91 Hit!

There are other boosts you can get, of course. Celice can give +20 Avoid, Castles and Mountains can give +30, Weapon Triangle Advantage gives +20, and our two Charisma bots (Delmud & Nanna) give +10 more each. That all boosts Arthur to 182 Avoid. That pushes Ishtar to 1 HIT, which should generally be enough…

But she still has HIT! The fact she has any at all should say something!

We don’t HAVE to fight her, of course. We can just kill Blume, Seize the castle, and make her go poof. She lives anyway.

But no, we’re not doing that. As strong as Ishtar is, she has one fatal flaw…

She’s still a mage, in a game where Brave weapons are at their best. We just a Hero Sword, someone with 19+ STR, and 10+ SKL. STR isn’t a problem, since Aless is running around with a 90% STR growth, and 10 SKL is trivial. From there, you decide whether you need Celice’s Leadership boost and/or the Charisma bots… And then you see if Ishtar needs to be on a Road.

...Or, you could just have an overpowered Celice.

Julius

Prince Julius, at last! Y’all remember him?

Well here’s a reminder. He’s Alvis’ son, Julia’s sister, Celice’s brother… However you wish to think of him. But does he have Major Loputousu, or is that yet another unnamed sibling? We shall see…

Julius: I need you, Ishtar. Come join me...

Ishtar: Of course, anything!

Er… You still protecting dad?

No? Just gonna take off with your boyfriend, huh? Doesn’t even return the TorHammer…

Suits me just fine, though!

Back to Faval… We just wanna move to around here so he’s out of Ichival range. Patty can do whatever; Faval won’t attack her.

Player Attack

Fee keeps chipping at her Mbandit…

And then Aless declares his grinding done, while Arthur goes to distract the dudes. It would have been great to have Eltshan’s son behead the Shagaal clone… But alas, I wasn’t thinking of it at the time :(

Oh well! He probably doesn’t deserve that level of scorn anyway…

MUHAMMED’S DEATH QUOTE:

Muhammed: We’ve been defeated…? King Blume, please forgive us…

His dying words are to ask for his liege’s forgiveness, so...

Anyway, Aless probably didn’t need every drop of that EXP. He puts in good work in Chapter 10, and even a little in Endgame, so he could’ve probably went home a bit. It’s no issue though; He had a convenient opportunity, and he was one of the only ones capable of easily killing Muhammed’s troops.

Anyway, Fin needs the Elite Ring, now…

Arena Match

So he gets HIS turn reaching OVERLORD ZENON as well.

He might have some trouble with Jismunt beforehand…

...but, hey! That’s why he’s near a castle ^_^ !

Manster Army

Enemy Phase is uneventful…

Muhammed’s goons brush past Arthur, Faval inches to where Patty can Talk to him...

...Blume’s guard offs himself for our convenience…

Fateful Showdown

And then Blume himself gets started.

Blume: You… I won’t forgive you!

Will he get Celice?

Nope. He just whiffs.

And there we go! Back to our turn!

Fin finds an awesome Prayer range, by the way.

Now SAVE YOUR GAME!! Blume doesn’t have TorHammer anymore, but he’s still a Baron. Big Shield can, and will, troll you!

Also, I wanna show off Faval’s battle quotes.

Recruitable Enemy

FAVAL VS PATTY:

Faval: Hm? Patty… it’s not like that.

FAVAL VS EVERYONE ELSE:

Faval: Sorry… I need the money…

FAVAL DEATH QUOTE:

Faval: Patty… Forgive your brother…

Scintillating.

Now let’s get him on our side!

Patty with Faval:

Recruitment

Awkward...

Patty: That’s right! We’re here helping the people and we’re gonna finish off Blume! It was the Imperial Guard that killed the parents of all the orphans. Remember!? And now YOU are fighting with the very same army! What’s wrong with you!

Faval: You’re right. Sorry… I don’t know what got into me.

Faval’s like a coin, you see. You try ‘em one day, he lands on your side. Try ‘em another day, and he’s on the other side. It’s all very sudden.

Patty: If you’re really sorry about it, then join up with us. We gotta bring peace back to the people!

Faval: Alright, I’m in. Patty, you sure have grown up since I saw you last.

Patty: Who, me? Heehee!

Seriously though, it’s so sudden! It’s like one paragraph, and he’s already swayed! Anyway, we got ‘em, so let’s talk about him!

Faval Overview

There we go.

Anyway, send Lester up and Faval right. Lester’s aiming for the Power Ring and Faval’s aiming for Gold.

Alright, Celice is up to bat again!

Fateful Showdown

You heard it here, folks. Celice just called Blume a brat.

Celice: There’s no escape for you this time. You might as well give up.

Blume: D, drat it… You…! I’ll take you with me!

But in all seriousness, he IS pretty savage here! Nice change of pace from his usual characterization!

Sadly, his line is followed by a failure to kill…

Oh well! That’s why we save our game :) !

Now, let’s burn some RNs by killing this Mbandit…

...and get Fee some Gold!

Good thing Ishtar didn’t catch wind of that...

They’ve put their full trust behind a young Silesian mage named Sety. But they also have Thracia breathing down their neck…

Not to mention Ishtar! Seriously, she was there, up till Turn 3 Enemy Phase!

I hope they’re alright.

It’s just so weird to think about. That Ishtar and Sety started in the exact same castle! That would’ve been a death match for the ages…

Alright, can we try this again?

Fateful Showdown

There we go! Now does he have any unique convos? Yes he does.

BLUME VS FAVAL:

Blume: Y, you’re Faval! You…! You’re betraying me!!

Faval: Sorry, but I thought it over, and I decided that there was nothing that would get me to help you. I hate to say it, but you’re going to die.

More like Patty smacked some sense into you...

Blume: drat it! All of you…

BLUME VS TINNY:

Blume: Tinny… you ingrate!

Oof, family drama. Let’s see wha-

Tinny: You drove my mother to her death, remember? Or do I have to remind you!?

:stare:

Blume: D, drat it…

Ok, first of all, that is one HELL of a bomb to just drop inside a random battle convo. Secondly, when did she figure this out?! If it was before we saw her, then I’d have to wonder why she was so submissive and willing to obey in Chapter 7. If it was AFTER we recruited her, then when did she figure it out? Arthur knew that King Blume had separated him and Tinny, but he didn’t say anything about who killed Tiltyu… Only that she’d “passed away” recently. If Arthur somehow learned something between chapters, then the game never tells us. He doesn’t even get a convo with Blume, in fact.

Oh well… Let’s get this show on the road!

Victory 1

Levin: The soldiers that were here all fled when they heard of Conote’s fall.

Celice: Good. Manster shouldn’t be too difficult to liberate then.

Levin: I wish it were that simple… The problem is Thracia.

Celice: But Thracia has remained neutral all this time. Why would they turn on us?

Levin: You don’t know King Trabant. Just ask Prince Leaf. He lost his entire family to Trabant. And the way in which he took their lives was a disgrace to the knighthood… Keep an eye on him, Celice. He’s up to something.

Actually, we know for a fact he’s up to something.

We actually saw him say he’d ambush either us or Blume, once one or the other won. So, good on Levin!

But before we do that, we got another Talk.

Nanna wants to catch up with Aless, and I feel like obliging her.

Nanna with Aless (+2 STR & DEF to Nanna):

Conversation 1

Nanna: I heard you’re King Eltshan’s son. Is that true?

Aless: Yeah, so what about it?

Nanna: It is you, after all! I am Nanna… I’m the daughter of King Eltshan’s sister!

Aless: What? You’re Lachesis’ daughter!?

Nanna: Yes! She was so worried about you for the longest time… That must have been why she came to Lenster. She was looking for you!

Aless: My father knew Agustria was about to be engulfed in war. So he sent me and my frail mother to her parent’s residence in Lenster. But I lost my dear mother to the flames of war during the empire’s invasion of Lenster.

I guess Pursuit + Continue + Ambush just wasn’t enough for poor ol’ Granye :smith: ...

Nanna: And that’s when you went with Jabarro?

Aless: Yeah, he took me in after that, and I traveled the world with his mercenary troops.

Nanna: No wonder we never met… Aless, I have something for you.

Aless: What… Is that from my father!?

Nanna: Yes. My mother passed it on to me. It’s addressed to you, Aless.

Aless: …!!

Nanna: See… Sir Sigurd never once betrayed King Eltshan’s trust. I’m sure they were good friends till the very end.

Aless: Whoa… I’ve had it wrong all this time.

Nanna: Aless, keep Sir Celice safe, okay? He needs you on his side more than anything!

Aless: … I’ll do that, Nanna. Hey, I’ll teach you some sword fighting tactics before you go. Now watch carefully…

You ever just do that? You see your cousin, and you whip up some Krav Maga to celebrate? No? Well, apparently Aless does :shrug: .

Love the results, though!

White Magic

Anyway, Lana’s just about capped, so…

Now it’s Julia’s turn to have the Warp Staff!

Oh, and she sold the Rezire tome to pay for repairs and the like. She’s gonna get better Light magic real soon!

Arena Match

Meanwhile, Fin clears Rank 6 with some good Miracle use…

Can he beat OVERLORD ZENON?

YES HE CAN!! After a few tries, anyway!

Manster Castle Town

And then he sells about everything. Good thing Prayer is so strong!

Welp, I’d call that an episode alright! Will King Trabant launch a vicious offensive? Or will it be just as underwhelming as everything else we’ve fought? Find out next time, on Let’s Max Rank Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War! Have a nice day, and God bless you all!

Time Taken This Update: ~33 minutes and 24 seconds

Total Time Elapsed Over the Run: ~18 hours, 25 minutes, 7 seconds

Turns Taken This Update: 7 Turns

Total Turns Elapsed Over The Run: 266 Turns

Levels Gained This Update: 21 Levels

Total Levels Gained: 730 Levels

On Chapter 8, I wonder if I needed to give all those kills to Aless, or if he could’ve done without them? Perhaps Delmud would have been better for grinding off Muhammed’s men?

Level 24-28: 64 > 70 HP, 25 STR, 15(20) MAG, 22 > 22(27) SKL, 18 SPD, 13 > 15 LCK, 20 > 21 DEF, 11(16) > 12(17) RES!

Level 24-28: 55 > 60 HP, 15 STR, 20 MAG, 21 > 24 SKL, 17 > 19 SPD, 30 LCK, 10 > 12 DEF, 11 > 12 RES!

Level 5-6: 36 > 37 HP, 14 STR, 2 MAG, 8 SKL, 10 SPD, 16 LCK, 8 DEF, 0 RES!

Level 6-7: 29-30 HP, 1 STR, 16-17 MAG, 9 > 10 SKL, 13 SPD, 6 > 7 LCK, 3 DEF, 15 > 16 RES!

Level 11-12: 32-36 HP, 10 > 11 STR, 2 > 3 MAG, 9 SKL, 18 SPD, 16 LCK, 9 DEF, 16 RES!

Level 17-21: 43 > 46 HP, 13 STR, 1 > 2 MAG, 16 > 18 SKL, 13(18) > 14 SPD, 17 > 20 LCK, 9 DEF, 1 RES!

Level 7-8: 35 > 36 HP, 10 > 13 STR, 3 MAG, 10 SKL, 8 SPD, 11 LCK, 7 > 9 DEF, 5 RES!

Level 14-18: 47 > 52 HP, 19 > 22 STR, 4 MAG, 15(35) > 16(36) SKL, 14 > 16 SPD, 11 > 14 LCK, 18 > 21 DEF, 6(16) > 7(17) RES!

Level 14-15: 36 > 37 HP, 8(13) > 9(14) STR, 6 MAG, 4 SKL, 12 > 13 SPD, 11 LCK, 3 > 4 DEF, 5 RES!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 29, 2020

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
My favourite Fire Emblem game is proceeding well. Thanks for keeping on updating this after all this time!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

David Corbett posted:

My favourite Fire Emblem game is proceeding well. Thanks for keeping on updating this after all this time!

Always a pleasure, my friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ooh, I've been forgetting to catch up with this! Very cool to see it going again, I really enjoyed reading it when you first started it! And I think it's fun to have two concurrent LPs with different translations and different philosophies.