Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

In vain we prayed to the bleak heavens.

Twelve gods descended from above

Narrator is a bit of an ungrateful prick, isn't he? :v: I mean I don't know what he was expecting, but twelve gods is a pretty good result in my book.

And you still have that broken :3: smiley and Gandolf:'s army :argh:

Anyway I'm interested in seeing where this goes, I never managed to play the game myself for long and wasn't around for the previous thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

:lol: ! Vilkacis, you are a funny man! I've gotta show that to BookofHolsety xD!

Well funny or not, it is either a pretty big contradiction or a severe case of ingratitude.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

When can we start fighting about shipping?

It's free, why would you need to fight???

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Holy :lol: DiMaggio's crab walk is fantastic.

quote:

So basically, you get more Damage from defeating an enemy rather than just damaging one.

I think you mean experience?

quote:

[Ha ha ha. this is so perfect here. - GMArcturus[/i]

And you have a broken tag here.

Fionordequester posted:

Alright, SO, it turns out the title of Alvis's theme is kind of a spoiler...any way of changing the Tindeck title without manually downloading it, and then re-uploading it? I'm getting all the Tindecks from WindGodSety's old LP. And while I'd usually just go and download it manually, my Anti-Virus software is telling me that the link I get when I try to do that isn't safe.

You can't rename someone else's tindeck uploads, no. Just ignore the warning..

Dire Wombat posted:

I suspect everyone reading this LP already has an idea of the plot, if only from reading WGS's LP. Don't worry about it.

vilkacis posted:

Anyway I'm interested in seeing where this goes, I never managed to play the game myself for long and wasn't around for the previous thread.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Why not just put it at the end of the update? I don't see the need for separate updates unless you have a huge amount of stuff to go through.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Verdane Army theme is pretty catchy :dance:

And weapon repair shop seems like it changes the typical FE dynamic quite a bit.... if not quite as much as infinite use weapons, of course.

Fionordequester posted:

Alvis: His majesty wants me to check on things... The savages sure aren’t going down easy. Sheesh...Sigurd, you don’t impress me much.

I knew I had seen this guy before!

quote:

Hey, FF is not lame was not yet lame when this game came out :saddowns:

quote:

Still more of that steely stoicness...I think we can guess just what character archetype Alvis is.

He's the Oifaye! :downs:

quote:

Barhara

And this bothers the hell out of me, especially with names like Sigurd and Tyrfing flying around. Is it really not supposed to be Valhalla?

e: Oh yeah, and you ran into the smiley limit in the first part, so maybe split it earlier? You're only allowed to have so many of them per post before they stop working, see:

:v::v::v::v::v:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 30, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

theshim posted:

Um, I'm pretty sure his name is Zigludo :colbert:

You want my jihad to descend on your rear end or something? :mad:

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah...that IS definitely what it's supposed to be a reference to, though obviously it'd be a little anachronistic to just flat out call it that. On that note, BookofHolsety's upcoming patch calls it "Belhella" instead, so look forward to that.

How is it "anachronistic" when the game is already busting at the seams with references to Norse myth?

...And they're changing it to Belhella? :doh: That's even worse, and for even dumber reasons!

This is one case where you should either stick with the blatantly intended mythological reference, or have the balls to make major enough changes that it doesn't stick out as failed translation of the the blatantly intended mythological reference and doesn't include the word "hella".

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Twilkitri posted:

A distressingly large amount of reference hunters seem to feel that all referenced names need to be exact copies otherwise they don't count or something, which I'm sure will come up later.

The problem is that when you translate an obvious reference as something that's recognizable as, but differs from the reference, it looks like you hosed it up, which makes it stand out a lot more than just running with the reference probably would. If it has to be changed for some reason, man up and change it to I don't know, Fuckburg or New York or some poo poo that doesn't look like you goofed up a reference.

I mean there are obviously reasons why you'd want or need to change a name, like loving Milady, but Valhalla is a place name and JRPGs reference mythology all the time, so I don't see any reason why this one mythological reference in a game full of mythological references must not be allowed to stand.

And Belhella, the castle that is Hella Bel, just comes across as silly, which is probably not the intention.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Twilkitri posted:

I'll just note that it's spelled Ba - Ha Ra ... Valhalla is not a viable translation from a literal standpoint.

Maybe it's just easier to write "similar to but not actually Valhalla" in a way that looks sensible in Japanese.

quote:

It's like, it's hardly the only place name which is a reference that doesn't have the 'proper' spelling. The continent is being called Jugdral rather than Yggdrasil for a start. If you don't like Barhara you're going to hate one of the place names to the northeast, and there are several to the mid/southeast that I'm aware of. I'm sure that someone somewhere has documented all of the differences.

At least for me, Jugdral is sufficiently different from Yggdrasil not to trigger the "did you mean this other thing that is actually a name" reflex. It's like, if it were called Valar Castle or something.

quote:

Ultimately, as stated, I didn't have any tools for changing the text on the world map, and I wasn't about to have the world map use one spelling while the rest of the game used another.

That is a reason I can definitely respect, though it doesn't seem like it's relevant for the new translation.

Fionordequester posted:

...Huh, what do you know? Looks like Twilkitri is right! My bad :cheeky: .

That is hella better than Belhella, and probably the best version of "similar to but not actually Valhalla" I've seen so far.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Indiana Joe is a good example of something that does come across as a reference, because it's never a question of "Joe" not reading like a real name. It feels intended.

Fionordequester posted:

"Belhalla" vs. "Valhalla" can still very easily look like a romanization error

But I'd say it seems less so than "Barhara". "Bel" feels like it could potentially be a name (or maybe it's just because I recognize it from other mythology).

e: I believe Phantasy Star IV had a "Vahal Fort", which also worked as a "reminds me of something, but is sufficiently different not to look like an error" name. I'm not sure if that area was actually supposed to be Valhalla or not, though.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 4, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Verdane army theme :dance:

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah, that's right. Unlike your units, enemy units can switch their weapons on the fly.

:stare:

God drat, you jerks. You loving jerks.

Sigurd posted:

Geez, I'm sorry!

He has quite a way with words.

Victory 2 is quite nice though.

Fionordequester posted:

Aideen: Yeah right, Dew.

:haw:

I think I'd forgive him for a repairable 10-use Warp staff too, to be honest.

Oh and you have a broken portrait by Lex's amazing level :cheeky:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

in a fight, it is typically much better than an axe at least, since you can do a whole lot with a sword that you can't really do with an axe

The funny thing is you're also falling for the sword hype :cheeky:

An axe made for combat is about the same weight as a sword, and there's certainly more to it than just "letting gravity do the work". Swords get hyped precisely because they are difficult and expensive to make, but which weapon is "better" depends entirely on circumstances.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Honestly if there was any realism the spear would be >>>>>>>....> all. And then Cavalry would do effective damage against infantry.
Have a long enough sharp stick and a horse and you might as well crown yourself King of one on one battle.

A lot of this stuff also depends on formations, which there just aren't any rules for in FE.

You know what would be a lot more prominent if they wanted to add some realism, though? Shields. All those foot soldiers with only a weapon in in one hand... :negative:

Fionordequester posted:

Hmm...now here's a conundrum.

Actually you should probably just bench Dew permanently because Sigurd is far too noble and upstanding to employ child soldiers.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Swords are balanced so the center of weight is right about where the hilt is.

Well the balance depends on the type of sword. The type of weapons you see in FE would have it a ways down the blade - but yeah, it's definitely closer to the hand than with an axe.

quote:

Really the biggest advantage swords have is that you can't really 'miss', as long the blade touches body mass you have made progress, as well as the versatility in the usage of stabs and slashes.

Maybe against an unarmoured opponent. Even layered cloth stands up to a half-assed cut quite well. And axes have advantages of their own, like the ability to hook and catch shields or even limbs, and the top-heavy design generally generally makes it better against armour. And depending on the design, they may have a point or spike for thrusting attacks as well.

quote:

Yeah which is why I said one on one battle, seeing as every person in FE has a crippling predilection to only fight one on one at a time and take turns while doing so.

Spears lose a lot of their overpoweredness once you're out of formation, though. And the really scary bit about cavalry is when you have a whole bunch of them running at you, but a lone guy on a horse presents a pretty big, inviting target.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that actual warfare is a lot more varied than X > Y :v:

Colgate posted:

I have yet to play another FE game, but I kind of want to. I wonder if I should just jump to Awakening, or if I should play the GBA ones first.

Start with FE7 because the GBA ones are better it will probably feel more awkward to go from Awakening's interface to the older ones than the other way around.

Dr Pepper posted:

Kaga wanted to create an epic involving powerful heroes fighting massive battles over entire countries so that's what he made, balance issues from the game putting more care about the plot then balance.

I'm inclined to agree from what I've seen so far.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

How typical, Sigurd just met a pretty girl and now he has nothing but sects on his mind.

Fionordequester posted:

Sigurd: Dear Lord, if you deem our love for each other to be a sin, I beg of you... punish me!

Soooo approximately how much trouble could we have avoided if he had been struck down by a lightning bolt from a clear sky after this?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That is such a goofy crit animation.

:hist101: I hit him once, and it took off a quarter of his health. If I hit him three times, that should take care of the rest! :downs:

Fionordequester posted:

Mistranslation #9: Voltz's opening line is mistranslated, and also pretty awkward. Instead of saying "Were to attack, are we? Hmph as fate'll have it.", he's supposed to say something like "Were to attack, are we? Hmph, guess it can't be helped." Because obviously, Voltz isn't stupid. He KNOWS it's going to be a tough fight, he KNOWS that Macbeth is an untrustworthy scumbag, and is expressing that in what's actually quite a lovably annoyed tone. In fact, he actually shows off a pretty unique personality even just from the few lines he gets.

I wouldn't say that's a mistranslation. It pretty much means the exact same thing and I don't blame them for not using "it can't be helped" because that's one of those things that keep showing up in overly literal translations to a point where it's noticeable.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
Basically this. It doesn't always sound awkward, but it's one of those things that make you go "this is definitely fantranslated Japanese media-kun".

Fionordequester posted:

I did find myself confused on what he was talking about when he was all "As fate'll have it"

What part of it makes you confused? "Fate" is more or less predetermined poo poo you can't change. It's basically how you normally say something like "it can't be helped" in English. I think the line "as fate'll have it" is a quite good way to convey that he's not too pleased with the order, but it is still an order.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Disturbance in Agustria is also a pretty cool track :dance:

...can't say the same for the castle town theme.

Holy poo poo that 16/90% speed :stare::hf::flashfact:

....Haha "uber slime sword", I think I spent a couple of hours trying to get that to drop in Breath of Fire III and then gave up.

Some of those promotion gains are just crazy, coming from the post-SNES games.+9 SKL! And that's nothing compared to fuckin' +8 MAG... that's a significant boost even by 3DS FE standards!

quote:

So Jay and Boo laying the blame at Duchess Velthomer's feat might be somewhat disingenuous.
Filat literally says that Sigyn "could not bare to stay".

Think you mean "feet" and "bear" there.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh hey, I was just wondering what happened to this. Good to hear it's not dead.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

More like I've forgotten what we were doing or why... nice to see it back, but I'm gonna have to re-read the whole thing up until now :negative:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Man, this guy has the best/worst/best worst name.

theshim posted:

I'm just going to say that I laugh a little bit every time you call it the Slime Sword.

Also this.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yup, working nicely. Easy to follow, even not knowing the game and only remembering half the story.

Thinking back, I should have chopped out his shoulders and just stuck the head on :saddowns:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, that is a rude ambush. Super rude. The difference between those two spears is only icing on the rude cake. Holy poo poo it's so rude it's downright hilarious. Wow. :munch:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

I know I've seen them survive, because they go to the next plot-relevant castle to take to take it over. And if they do that you can't complete the chapter.

:roflolmao:

God drat that's even more hilarious than the ambush.

Shame you can't really do anything about it, though. It'd be a neat thing to aim for on a second run, at least.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nooo not Ardan, we have lost a true hero :qq:

Welp, guess I finally got to attend the barbecue at Big Friendly Al's in person. I mean, I knew it was coming, the one thing everybody knows about FE4 is that Sigurd dies in a fire, but it's pretty cool actually seeing it, nevertheless. Expecting good things from gen2.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

You...you were ONE OF THEM! WERENT YOU?! You and your other Mage friends should be ASHAMED of yourself!

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations. If you have further questions, I will need to refer you to my associate -> :toughguy:

Onmi posted:

I will say, as loving metal as that scene is... very few people actually DIE at Valhalla actually, including Sigurd.

well that's dumb

don't dump cutscene meteors on people and tell me they don't die

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Please use the version with the names you've been using up until now. Whether the new names and terms are better or worse is less important than the fact that switching them around halfway through the thread would look awful.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Junpei posted:

Barharra (Which my casual interest in mythology raises an eye at, because I think that should be Valhalla)

:hf:

All these names are giving me a headache. If you have a Fergus and a Fi(on)n, surely Delmud and Grahnye are intended to be Diarmud and Grainne :eng99:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^Um excuse me they are simply very close companions, there is nothing illegal going on here.

Onmi posted:

Barharra is one of those things that says "This should obviously be Valhalla." but in this case, I believe the name is actually a corruption of "Valhalla" rather than a mistranslation.

It's not the corruption itself that bugs me, it's that it's done in a way that looks exactly like a SNES-era botch job where the translator didn't know anything about mythology and didn't care to look it up either and simply guessed at the b/v and l/r thing because a 50% chance to get it right is more than good enough. A good translation would come up with a name that looks like a properly corrupted version of the original word instead of a fuckup, like poo poo, I don't know, Valla or something.

The ratio of uncorrupted to corrupted versions of obviously lifted-from-mythology names doesn't help much either. Without some kind of supplementary materials, there's nothing prompting the player to think it's intentional.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Junpei posted:

If it's supposed to be a corruption, I'd go with Valharra.

But that still has the l/r thing so it also looks like a translation mistake rather than an intentional corruption.

Onmi posted:

Like this ヴァルハラ I thinks is "Valhalla"

While This バーハラ Is what the location is called

Google translate says Bahara.

Vahala or maybe Vahal seems like a decent corruption of Valhalla that doesn't look like it involves galbage tlansration.

(Of course just calling it Valhalla and not having to deal with the issue would be the easiest way around it.)

vvv Or that. That works, too. vvv

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 3, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm sure it's supposed to be dramatic and all, but my immediate interpretation to the ellipsis is basically "sorry this kid has such a lame name".

Fionordequester posted:

Celice: I’m sorry, Rana.

:raise:

Well okay, he's entitled to one mistake after the nuns line.

Fionordequester posted:

Skasaha: Of course I don’t remember anything! You forget we’re twins or something? We weren’t even two years old yet at the time. We fled to Isaac with Oifaye. But she never showed up. Maybe she didn’t survive the Battle of Barhara after all…

Skasaha: "Of course you know all this already, but I feel as if there is some kind of presence watching us that could use this information."

Lakche: :what:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

How dare you ingrates talk like that about our lord and saviour Roy? You're all dead to me :colbert:

(Your death quotes were lame, too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I think you should have expected the darkest depths of the Japanese internet to be scary

but that aside, if that works for you, just roll with it. I guess my one suggestion would be to record and youtube the streams if possible? Time zone bullshit means there's probably a few people who can't make it when you're live who might still like to watch.