Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
Assuming that this is one of the patches done while I was maintaining it, it's using Barhara because that's the name embedded into the world map and I didn't want to have the game inconsistent with itself if possible. If/when it became possible to alter that text then it would have reviewed, although this wouldn't have guaranteed it being changed to Valhalla. A distressingly large amount of reference hunters seem to feel that all referenced names need to be exact copies otherwise they don't count or something, which I'm sure will come up later. Not to say that Barhara is a particularly good example.

I want to say that Belhalla is used somewhere in Awakening, but I'm not completely certain on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Twilkitri! YOU'RE HERE?! Whoa, that is just awesome! I'm definitely looking forward to whatever other commentary you might have :D ! In fact, there is one thing I've always wondered about...in terms of the Reparation Patch 0.87d (which I'm using)...how much of the dialogue was done/revised by you, and how much was left over from the old translation patches?

I want to say that the vast majority of the dialogue is the same as in j2eR's version outside of name & spelling changes and deyokelisation, but it's been a long time. Without having a proper translator on hand most if not all of the changes I made would have been to clean things up rather than to correct any meanings.

The original files from j2e Renegade are online at http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/trans/fe4-0.50.9.1-jay.tar.bz2 and http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/FE4/trans/boo-ref.2002.10.03.zip if anyone wanted to go over them.

Fionordequester posted:

including two particularly hilarious instances in which he inserted "filler" dialogue into textboxes that didn't have translations available for them. He could've made it boring, but instead, he made them jaw-droppingly hilarious

I'm actually fairly embarrassed about those, I didn't expect them to end up sticking around for all eternity or I would have done something less tonally inconsistent.

vilkacis posted:

The problem is that when you translate an obvious reference as something that's recognizable as, but differs from the reference, it looks like you hosed it up

I don't believe it should, which is kind of the crux of the issue.

To continue on the topic of Barhara, I'll just note that it's spelled Ba - Ha Ra (preview keeps turning the actual characters into gibberish for some reason) - assuming that the FE4 team didn't typo the name or misunderstand how Valhalla is pronounced, and assuming that I personally properly understand how Valhalla is pronounced (all of which are fairy shaky assumptions), Valhalla is not a viable translation from a literal standpoint. Barhala/Barhalla/Varhala/Varhalla are fine, but the first 'r' isn't convertible to 'l'. (Of course NoA decided to do that anyway when they translated it as Belhalla.)

vilkacis posted:

I mean there are obviously reasons why you'd want or need to change a name, like loving Milady, but Valhalla is a place name and JRPGs reference mythology all the time, so I don't see any reason why this one mythological reference in a game full of mythological references must not be allowed to stand.

And Belhella, the castle that is Hella Bel, just comes across as silly, which is probably not the intention.

It's like, it's hardly the only place name which is a reference that doesn't have the 'proper' spelling. The continent is being called Jugdral rather than Yggdrasil for a start. If you don't like Barhara you're going to hate one of the place names to the northeast, and there are several to the mid/southeast that I'm aware of. I'm sure that someone somewhere has documented all of the differences.

Ultimately, as stated, I didn't have any tools for changing the text on the world map, and I wasn't about to have the world map use one spelling while the rest of the game used another.

I'm going to assume that 'Belhella' was a typo for Belhalla until confirmed otherwise.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
Per Treasure, Gen1 runs from 757 to 760, so four years matches if we include the entirety of 757 and 760.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Also, note how Shagaal is called “Shagall” in this conversation. Different patch versions have had different spellings for various characters, and it looks like Twilkitri forgot to edit this particular instance. Whoops.

I occasionally had dreams of adding a name dictionary to the tools in some way, where you could set names in a central location and have all the script files refer back to it, but I never got around to even starting on it. Also, kind of difficult to mesh with places where names are stammered or otherwise altered (like 'Sylvie' in this update).

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Brigid: Shut up! You killed father, you patricide [yes, Boo actually wrote that]! You're the disgrace to Jungby house, AND you've tarnished the reputation of the Crusader Ulir!!

Yikes... I think you missed a few words there, Boo.

I assume that what's being objected to here is referring to Andre as a patricide?

I'm going to take the heat off Boo by noting that this is almost certainly my fault. More depressingly, this usage is technically correct, for all that it does sound terrible. Reasonably certain that at the time I just couldn't find any synonyms which sounded better; of course the proper solution would be to structure the line differently.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
That was before Awakening came out and changed a bunch of names, so not all of the changes are helpful. I also hadn't played Radiant Dawn yet at that point and didn't realise that they'd confusingly gone back on the Wyvern class name choices.

The deadlord names are supposed to be Fünf and Zwölf. In an ideal world, accented characters to use would have been added to the font, but it had become clear that that was never going to happen, and if the characters aren't available you're supposed to replace 'ü' with 'ue' and so forth unless my information is wrong. I think that at least one of the colour squadrons (Grauer Ritter, etc.) may also be impacted but was already in -e style. (Of course with the colour squadrons you run into the issue of what suffix is supposed to be on the colour which I'm not sure I was ever entirely clear on.) And, of course, the deadlord names were changed to something which isn't numbers in Awakening anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

quote:

1) Early versions of Nintendo's official website have directly stated that Beowulf is the canon father of both Delmud and Nanna.
Now, do I have actual links to give you? I...do not, unfortunately. It could all just be rumors and misinformation; so until someone can provide a link confirming either of those two statements, we'll never know for sure.

This is part of what you're after. Beowulf is listed as the father for Nanna and Fergus. Delmud hadn't been added to the page yet - he's there in the next recorded version, but the references to Beowulf have also been removed in that version.