Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Games for Grandma could be really fun to do, gets my vote too, if I even have a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

critical omission is a really easy theme to brainstorm for but seems harder to get beyond the stage of ideas like "a shooter... where you can't shoot lol!"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The year is 2060, you love your grandfather but ever since he got diagnosed with Alzheimer's he can't stop talking about early 00s memes literally every 10 minutes.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

critical omission is a really easy theme to brainstorm for but seems harder to get beyond the stage of ideas like "a shooter... where you can't shoot lol!"

That was my fear as well, and a lot of the ideas itt (even if they're joke ideas) are pretty similar.

It almost seems like a way to half rear end a game and use 'that's a feature not a bug' as a legit excuse to avoid doing stuff. "Oh my controls are poo poo? That was deliberate, that's my omission. The game crashes every minute? Critical omission. The game is just boring and not fun at all? Just going with the theme. :smug:"

And judging a game where something fundamental is missing would be difficult as well, the criteria doesn't mesh with a game where you have to leave out at least one core feature of gameplay, especially the "best game design" category. Do judges factor in the omission in the game design score, or ignore it? Would we try to make a game that's fun despite being crippled by an omission, or would we try to make an un-fun game on purpose, and the worst game wins, or what?

Lots of issues for me personally, I think Games for Grandma or Local Color seem much better and clear cut. Plus;

vaginal cramps posted:

I feel like Critical Omission could end up with some similar ideas to the "You can't _____" category that was used in the past.

That too.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
I don't think the theme selection should be based on how easy the theme is to "game".

The point of a theme is (imo) to give people interesting design challenges that'll hopefully inspire some unique and creative game concepts and/or stories! Like yeah I can totally try to be a smart rear end and go "The game I sent you lacks an executable? CRITICIAL OMISSION :smug:" but it won't be a good game (and probably won't get any good scores from the judges)

Critical Omission is my personal choice, since it has me already thinking about a bunch of wierd game ideas I wouldn't have otherwise :)

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
I had a lot of fun working on Night Visions last year, so I will once again be joining Team Punch Fight to make another game that will probably be way too ambitious, but also will be pretty interesting at the very least.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

KiddieGrinder posted:

It almost seems like a way to half rear end a game and use 'that's a feature not a bug' as a legit excuse to avoid doing stuff. "Oh my controls are poo poo? That was deliberate, that's my omission. The game crashes every minute? Critical omission. The game is just boring and not fun at all? Just going with the theme. :smug:"

And judging a game where something fundamental is missing would be difficult as well, the criteria doesn't mesh with a game where you have to leave out at least one core feature of gameplay, especially the "best game design" category. Do judges factor in the omission in the game design score, or ignore it? Would we try to make a game that's fun despite being crippled by an omission, or would we try to make an un-fun game on purpose, and the worst game wins, or what?

Calling bullshit on this. Bad games that excuse their badness as being part of the format are still bad games that don't deserve to win. Do you really think the point of the topic is to make the worst game we can? Really? Is that really what you think?

"What do you mean my painting's bad? Of course it's bad, I couldn't use any curved shapes! I'm the best at cubism!"

I think some level of restriction always produces better art. Having access to every tool and every color (without the discipline to enforce restrictions on yourself) results in Thomas Kinkaid technically-competent artistically-devoid pap. Critical Omission will certainly result in a lot of bad games (it's a jam, after all) but, in my mind, is the most promising avenue for novel works. Local Color seems to me like it will just produce locally-flavored skins over games that don't actually do anything new. Grandma Games might be cool, but will probably be a lot harder to wring something interesting out of.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

There's no 2-way interaction between the maker and the judges either, except whatever they write or put into the game. If they preface it with, "I left out good art/controls/whatever because that's my omission", I'm pretty sure the judges are gonna see right through that poo poo.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 23, 2015

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Also a secondary goal of these jams is to prove to yourself (and others) that you can make a game. If you'd rather just avoid making a game then what's the point.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

xzzy posted:

Someone's always looking for an excuse to make a Zybourne entry for SAGDC.

I'll just digitalize my game from a Traditional Games' competition last year: The Zybourne Cliff. No I won't, because I'm bad at computers.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
One thing I'd like to point out to new teams is the wealth of voice acting talent you'll find here if you ask.

I had a great time last year putting together a narrated mission briefing for SWAT: Freedom of Breach. While the game itself failed to live up to my ambitions (and didn't really adhere closely enough to the theme) I was super proud of the extra level of polish having a voice acted intro brought.

I should also point out a game I, frustratingly, can't remember the name of from last year about throwing things into an underground pool and the commentary on that was amazing! It was like watching ESPN 8 : The "Ocho" :allears:

vvv that was it, thanks!

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 23, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sink!

Honestly, I think Critical Omission is the one most likely to lead to fun and interesting games, but I'd be happy with any of them.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

KiddieGrinder posted:

The game is just boring and not fun at all? Just going with the theme. :smug:"

JonTerp posted:

* Critical Omission: Make a good game that is missing something important.

JonTerp posted:

Make a good game that is missing something important.

JonTerp posted:

Make a good game

critical omission: reading comprehension.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But what if it was a good game before you took out the fun? That technically satisfies the requirement. :colbert:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

I had a lot of fun working on Night Visions last year, so I will once again be joining Team Punch Fight to make another game that will probably be way too ambitious, but also will be pretty interesting at the very least.
Y'all knocked it out of the park on that one. If we'd been running judging rules like they are this year, you would have won the whole thing. INCREDIBLY novel game, incredibly cool to play, just with the issue of the chat lag holding it back. Not to say there weren't better overall games, but I'm a sucker for novel concepts.

(yes, this is me still wishing you guys would actually turn that one into a full game, because daaaang)
EDIT:

Protocol7 posted:

I like Local Color since I live in Denver and I'd absolutely love to make fun of the ridiculous weed industry here.
:c00lbert:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 23, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yo I'm down, signed up in the Orphan thing. With the experience and knowledge gleaned from the previous SA GameDev, I'm feeling great.

Lot busier this time around so I'm not gonna toxx, though. Between working fulltime and being a fulltime student free time is often hard to come by.

I like Local Color since I live in Denver and I'd absolutely love to make fun of the ridiculous weed industry here.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

GlyphGryph posted:

Honestly, I think Critical Omission is the one most likely to lead to fun and interesting games, but I'd be happy with any of them.

Vacation's over and it's looking pretty likely that Team Dance Magic will throw our hat in some small way. We agree Critical Omission sounds like a fun genre. A sports game missing key equipment/players. A disaster game without a disaster. A dogfighting game where the pilots are just running around a parking lot with their arms extended making ratatat noises with their mouths...

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 23, 2015

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hidden Asbestos posted:

One thing I'd like to point out to new teams is the wealth of voice acting talent you'll find here if you ask.

Yeah, even though I'm signed up, I don't see anything about not doing voicework for other folks if they want it, so unless it is actually against the rules or something, people are quite welcome to ask me to do some voice stuff for their game (Within reason, obviously.) I've got various samples on my Tindeck, and can be contacted via PMs or my "work" email, themadpembsman@gmail.com

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The "something important" doesn't have to be a core feature of functionality. If I made a civil war game that didn't have Abraham Lincoln that'd be missing something important if you ask me. :colbert:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2015

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Alright, TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is now actively recruiting! We're going to be making some sort of 3D game in Unreal Engine 4, since it's free this year, and could really use some help. Our team so far is me as programmer and Steampunk_Spoon as environmental artist, so we could really use a character artist (and/or animator) and sound designer, and I wouldn't say no to a dedicated level designer or another programmer.

This year, I really want to make a cool third-person parkour game, then kind of shoehorn the theme into it. (I've got a really good idea to make it work with Critical Omission, and a pretty good idea for Local Color, and am basically just hoping the theme isn't Games for Grandma.) If this kind of overambitious half-assedness appeals to you, drop me a PM either here or in IRC!

e: We've snapped up what was left of Ultigonio's free time! Now we are three.

blastron fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

blastron posted:

Alright, TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is now actively recruiting! We're going to be making some sort of 3D game in Unreal Engine 4, since it's free this year, and could really use some help. Our team so far is me as programmer and Steampunk_Spoon as environmental artist, so we could really use a character artist (and/or animator) and sound designer, and I wouldn't say no to a dedicated level designer or another programmer.

This year, I really want to make a cool third-person parkour game, then kind of shoehorn the theme into it. (I've got a really good idea to make it work with Critical Omission, and a pretty good idea for Local Color, and am basically just hoping the theme isn't Games for Grandma.) If this kind of overambitious half-assedness appeals to you, drop me a PM either here or in IRC!

e: We've snapped up what was left of Ultigonio's free time! Now we are three.

I have some experience with Unreal 4! More on the programmer side, but still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

The "something important" doesn't have to be a core feature of functionality. If I made a civil war game that didn't have Abraham Lincoln that'd be missing something important if you ask me. :colbert:

Yeah I'd love seeing what goofy stories people come up with in their games, but to me the category just screams "do something weird with play mechanics" and I wouldn't be surprised if most of the entries tried to do something novel along those lines.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Assertion/Oversimplification: Folklore is basically poo poo people made up, and people never stopped making poo poo up.

Therefore, Local Color: "My uncle works at Nintendo..."

Each blatant lie is associated with a mechanic. As the game progresses, a random lie is announced at certain intervals and the associated mechanic is activated.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I was trying to think of something for Local Color in case that ends up being the theme and I remembered that there is a ghost hunting team that was founded in my home town that has a website. They have case files where they describe what was going on at the client's place and what they discovered, and pretty much everything is "client was hearing some weird noises, was able to trace them to plumbing in bathroom" "client's lights were flickering, seems to be faulty wiring". It's like they're basically repairmen masquerading as ghost hunters. So now I have to think about how to turn that into a game if Local Color gets picked.

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?
I'm going to finally get off my rear end and try to make a game this year. I threw myself on the orphan list; I have a fair bit of programming experience but not a modicum of artistic talent.

I think Critical Omission is the coolest theme for sure. Local Color has a lot of potential but it depends on how creatively people apply the theme to game mechanics.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mo_Steel posted:

I just pictured a civil war battle missing rifles. Two big lines of blue and grey soldiers having a big brawl.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just pictured a civil war battle missing rifles. Two big lines of blue and grey soldiers having a big brawl.
Needs a scream button like Chivalry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I had a great time last year putting together a narrated mission briefing for SWAT: Freedom of Breach. While the game itself failed to live up to my ambitions (and didn't really adhere closely enough to the theme) I was super proud of the extra level of polish having a voice acted intro brought.

Was it you that did Cruise Racing: Arcade Prologue? If so, I enjoyed being the overenthusiastic SEGA-ripoff announcer :allears:

Anyway, I was debating whether or not to enter my name, but gently caress it, I want a shot at that BOOM library.

Rupert Buttermilk, sound designer and composer, willing to work provided that the team actually finishes their game somewhat :toot:

I do PMs, or if someone I've worked with in the past still has my email, that works too.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Protocol7 posted:

I have some experience with Unreal 4! More on the programmer side, but still.

We could absolutely use another programmer! Sent you a PM.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was it you that did Cruise Racing: Arcade Prologue? If so, I enjoyed being the overenthusiastic SEGA-ripoff announcer :allears:

Anyway, I was debating whether or not to enter my name, but gently caress it, I want a shot at that BOOM library.

Rupert Buttermilk, sound designer and composer, willing to work provided that the team actually finishes their game somewhat :toot:

I do PMs, or if someone I've worked with in the past still has my email, that works too.

Yeah!! :911:

Here's a video of what we came up with, good times! I can, among many others, vouch for this goons skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvSXM_HendI

Every year, without fail, my freelance work picks up from drought to flood in July. If not I'd be signed up already but hesitating yet again. Willpower failing though, I can always do something in the evening ....

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Well I probably can't commit to being the audio person for a third team, I will also throw my hat in for doing some VO work for whomever as well.

I'm the Trade Co CEO in this here Interstellaria trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26yDzR1PxPQ

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

After a lightning round of aggressive recruitment, TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is full up with an unwieldy 6 members! Our programmers are myself and Protocol7, our artists are Steampunk_Spoon, Keket, and Defeeca, and our sound guy is Ultigonio.

Look forward to our extremely ambitious game!

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Still looking for a 2d artist, style depends on theme but if you can arrange pixels into something retro/cartoony/cute/simple then we should get along fine. Also I won last year so we're guaranteed* to win again this year if you join my team. Hit me up on IRC or PM me here.

*Guarantee not guaranteed.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

JossiRossi posted:

So you want to work on a game but you only have half the skills needed to make a game? Well shut up you are wrong you can use twine. However, if you still want to work with others and make some game dev friends but aren't sure where to start then I have what you need.

:siren: Something Awful Game Dev Competition X Orphans List :siren:

The Form
https://goo.gl/forms/oYLVxABURO
Go here and fill out the questions to the best of your ability. Basic info is needed, Name, Contact, Skills, and optionally Availability.

The Sheet
https://goo.gl/ofNSfj
All submissions will appear on this spreadsheet. People can not edit this form directly but the public is allowed to make comments.

IF YOU JOIN A TEAM PLEASE COMMENT YOUR SECTION AS SUCH. It will go a long way to keeping things sane on that sheet. I'll also do my best to keep an eye on it in case something goes wrong.

Just reposting this for people who may have missed it.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i like the local color theme, but that is probably just because I am from the only part of the US with actual history and I can't come up with any good ideas for the others

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A Civil War WWE wrestling game would be amazing.

"That's gotta.... that's gotta be Grant! Bah gawd!" :byodood:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

MSPain posted:

i like the local color theme, but that is probably just because I am from the only part of the US with actual history and I can't come up with any good ideas for the others

I actually like it as well after talking the idea around with some other team members, though I think we have something interesting as the Grandma one too. Honestly though Critical Omission just seems to me like it's going to have the most derivative games out of the bunch since the first thing for many is going to be "X but missing Y".

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Man... I would love to get in on this but this always happens at the absolute worst time of the year for me. It's like asking an accountant if he can spend some time working for you during tax season :(

Had a lot of fun last year kicking out tunes for shs, and I learned a bit more about mixing. All I can say is that sound shouldn't be an afterthought. That poo poo matters just as much as the art.

Good luck out there.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

TheOrange posted:

I actually like it as well after talking the idea around with some other team members, though I think we have something interesting as the Grandma one too. Honestly though Critical Omission just seems to me like it's going to have the most derivative games out of the bunch since the first thing for many is going to be "X but missing Y".

Interesting. I personally think Critical Omission has the most opportunity for really interesting mechanics assuming people make an effort to be thoughful about it. As a story component especially, it brings a lot of opportunity. Local Color doesn't seem to invite any less derivatives, and really relies on setting to sell the theme. Maybe I am just thinking too shallow though.

I'm super excited to see how everyone interprets and explores the themes this year. Seems like a lot of good ideas are percolating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Question

If my game requires server side processing, that won't pose a problem with submission and judging will it? A lot of the logic for a game I am kicking around relies on a multiplayer server so beyond passing along an SQL Dump and Git repo it would have to be honor system that I am not touching it.

• Locked thread