Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I was thinking about a Critical Omission game that plays like a standard boring indie platformer except the graphics/sound/enemy type changes a lot, simulating an extremely buggy, unfinished game. I would have to experiment a bunch to see what would work best but I think it's potentially a good way to make standard gameplay much more exciting.

I bet it's very easy for me to pull off, since I've never made a full game before. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
If Critical Omission, I will likely make a Trucksim without a truck.
In Octo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ekster posted:

I was thinking about a Critical Omission game that plays like a standard boring indie platformer except the graphics/sound/enemy type changes a lot, simulating an extremely buggy, unfinished game. I would have to experiment a bunch to see what would work best but I think it's potentially a good way to make standard gameplay much more exciting.

I bet it's very easy for me to pull off, since I've never made a full game before. :v:

From a programmer perspective you could pull off some cool stuff with this idea.. like how the original Metroid and Super Mario Bros. allowed you to glitch into other areas of memory and have them be 'secret worlds.'

So you intentionally make a game that has no memory bounds checking (the critical omission) and you're playing the game's code as a level.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

xzzy posted:

From a programmer perspective you could pull off some cool stuff with this idea.. like how the original Metroid and Super Mario Bros. allowed you to glitch into other areas of memory and have them be 'secret worlds.'

So you intentionally make a game that has no memory bounds checking (the critical omission) and you're playing the game's code as a level.

I think that was the entire premise of Axiom Verge - maybe a good example worth looking at for anyone thinking of trying the glitchy route? I still don't have a solid idea for critical omission but my thought is taking a character or playstyle out of one type of game and throwing it somewhere else like having to play a 2D action game with a Mario style platformer or something, maybe that's not quite true to the core of the theme though?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TheOrange posted:

I think that was the entire premise of Axiom Verge - maybe a good example worth looking at for anyone thinking of trying the glitchy route? I still don't have a solid idea for critical omission but my thought is taking a character or playstyle out of one type of game and throwing it somewhere else like having to play a 2D action game with a Mario style platformer or something, maybe that's not quite true to the core of the theme though?

I imagine critical omission to be something like imagine any genre of game and then list the 3 things that make it part of that genre and remove 1. Worst case scenario you can remove some of the controls that are integral to playing that genre.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So who is going to be the one to just put up a blank screen and say "I left out the game?"

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
If "writer" is enough of a skillset to be worthwhile I'd be interested in hooking up with a team. I've had some stuff published (kids fantasy, historical comic book) and won a scriptwriting competition, but have as yet never worked on a game. I figure Local Colour would be the optimal theme for me to be of any use (FYI Ireland's mythology is batshit crazy) but story and character could be useful for other themes too maybe? (WHY is the critical element omitted? What is the player's MOTIVATION? blahblahblah)

I'll fill out the form yokey also.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Another idea I had for Critical Omission is that it could be a 2D Platformer where the player character couldn't jump, so the only way they could move over obstacles is by climbing ladders around the area.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Someone should create a serious story-driven game where the critical omission is clothing for the main character, they could even base it off a movie and portray it as a fake licensed game. Or go full-circle and create a Lynch-inspired story-driven game where the critical omission is logic :v:

It's such a good theme for a game jam, there's so many possibilities.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

This is a fantastic idea and a great thread and really makes me want to do it. LIVE THE DREAM, right?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I think helping out on a team would be a great experience for me.

I can contribute from the programming front, but can't be your lead programmer.

I've had quite a bit of experience from an algorithm perspective and more recently a lot of SQL and database experience. I studied CS in college, but have not used it in a professional setting as it relates to a true IT environment.

I've mostly used C++, but have also used C, Java, Python, and Ruby - and probably more I'm not thinking of currently. Whatever language you want to use is fine, but as long as my contributions are primarily algorithmic or database related I'll be most effective.

If you think I may be able to contribute to your team shoot me a PM and we can discuss where I would fit in. I can do more than above, but that's where I'm most comfortable these days.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm debating whether to enter again this year. I participated in the last two jams, but both times all of my teammates flaked on me. BUT, both times I did complete my work, so if you are looking for a programmer or beep-boop maker, PM me and we can talk about it. I will be more inclined to join a team if at least some of the members have finished a game during past jams.

ether
May 20, 2001

Last year was a wash (only had 2 weeks due to my vacation) but this year it doesn't overlap too bad.

In as team InevitableWallOfShamer hoping that I jinx it in some way :-)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ekster posted:

Tried to do this last year and managed to make a game so unfinished that it wasn't entered!

This year though I know a fair bit of Game Maker and I've a few little projects in mind.

Also I'm going to try get any and all bounties.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

critical omission: tracking camera, you have to try to finish the game while the cameraman decides it would rather look at some butterflies or that the wandering enemies are more important than you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I kinda want to make a simple RPG with critically omitted random battles.

I think it could work.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I kinda want to make a simple RPG with critically omitted random battles.

I think it could work.

Omit the ability to critically strike.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

omit fun

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

But I do that every year.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Ssh, you fools! The judges will probably pick the subject we talk about the least!

So, um ... boy that Local Color idea sure sounds amazing. Lots of great ideas there, yes sir!

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Mmm I kinda wanna do this this year. I'm already working on a game that consumes most of my time but I might try to throw something together in rpg maker or whatever.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I think Games for Grandma has a lot of potential, honestly. Obviously there are the first-order ideas of "make a game that my non-gamer grandma could play" or "make a game with grandma themes" lol knitting. But think beyond that, and an entire world of insanity opens up. Like hey, let's make a bullet hell shooter where you are the noble neighborhood protector against littering and you must defend against the ridiculous slings and arrows that the local hoodlums inflict upon you. Or make a creepy psychological thriller where you are contemplating the wonderful memories of your life except oh gently caress, I have Alzheimers and now my memories are all totally insane :unsmiggh:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Would really like to see Critical Omission as the topic. It's the most open ended with multiple meanings and even a double entendre if you play with the letters a tiny bit. :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Matlock RPG

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I am in again this year, but alone because last year I thought I knew flash better than I remembered and procrastinated and really let my teammate down trying to deliver on his good idea. I really want to do a game based around the Google Maps API regardless of the theme.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I'd like to see Local Color, I find that sort of stuff fascinating. Plus, I don't see it saying anything about it being true folklore, or even the actual folklore of your area. You could make up something totally new (and preferably hilarious), but still relevant to the area.

I'm tentatively in, provided I can come up with an idea for whatever theme.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I'd like to see Local Color, I find that sort of stuff fascinating. Plus, I don't see it saying anything about it being true folklore, or even the actual folklore of your area. You could make up something totally new (and preferably hilarious), but still relevant to the area.

I'm tentatively in, provided I can come up with an idea for whatever theme.

I actually like local flavor, but the local flavor in my area is so cool, I could never make a game that lives up to it.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
In Critical Omission, i'd make a platformer game without platforms :q:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I will join this hellish battlefield again. Last year I submitted a game called Turtle Derby, based upon the glorious world of public access television recorded annual turtle racing.

There were... bugs, but I avoided the Wall of Shame I was on the previous year. Great success! Now to come up with a witty team name for myself.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 21, 2015

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm not going to say I'm in, because that failed to make me finish the last two years, but I'm starting to have ideas for local colour.
There this urban legend here about an unopened subway station and a ghost train that I can mine for ideas and do what every other swedish dev does, make a lovely horror game.
There is lot of stuff to take from since both the station and the train actually exist, mostly anyway. My brother is a train nerd and has actually ridden on the "ghost train", so I should be able to get together all the info.
I might actually do this if I can figure out how to model two types of subway train(well one+ variant) and at least one subway station without too much effort.

Critical omission and games for grandma is a bit harder to get ideas for.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This is awesome.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
In on this. Hoping for occulus rift game where youre missing your eyes

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Tossed my hat into the orphans list, free all month to make terrible things.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

I will join this hellish battlefield again. Last year I submitted a game called Turtle Derby, based upon the glorious world of public access television recorded annual turtle racing.

There were... bugs, but I avoided the Wall of Shame I was on the previous year. Great success! Now to come up with a witty team name for myself.

this might be my favorite software bug of all time :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I gotta say the more I think about game ideas, the less I like the Games for Grandma possibility. I mean there's certainly things to do with that theme, but compared to the other two options it just feels like there's a lot less opportunity to do something cool.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

This is the greatest glitch of all time, simply magical.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
You know, I said I liked local colour, but the more I read and think about it, critical omission sounds even more awesome.

I don't have any real ideas yet hopefully some will come.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Last year I didn't really have much inspiration for my original idea and ended up making a silly twine game with a skeleton: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/555-skeleton/31140/

The previous year (my first SAGDC) I had much more fun making Beatrix: Battle Dentist (which was also not my original plan that year) http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/beatrix-battle-dentist/22010/

Will have to mull over possibilities for the themes, but not sure if I'll jump in this year (unless I get an amazing idea)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
"Local Color" is unfair to people who live in Connecticut. I no longer live in CT, but have sympathy for those who do.

edit: this post was intended as a joke, but that category does actually strike me as a bit unfair, because some people will immediately have a near-infinite number of ideas to choose from whereas others will have a MUCH harder time coming up with something clever.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago has:

Burning the city down,
Prohibition era mob,
Rampant government corruption,
Corn,
Gang violence.

So yeah some pretty good seeds in there. :v: