Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was kinda on the fence about this one, but then you chose the right theme and I thought of a stupid pun so now I'm in as team Wizard Hat.

All important decisions should be based on stupid puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Let's talk resolutions.

I'm bad at drawing. Fortunately, through the magic of a scanner, potrace (magically traces a vector image from a bitmap), Inkscape, and inverse kinematics I can create passable artwork. But this is absolutely the smallest it can get:

How many people would balk if my game's resolution were 1152 x 864 in order to support my beautiful, glorious artwork?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

With the Only One Submission mantra beaten into my head I'm a little wary of clicking the Ready to Submit button, but I had a question. If I have both a Windows and an OSX build of my game, will I be able to upload both separately, or is only one file allowed to be official?

Also can any Mac goons test my OSX build? I have no idea if it works or if my first question is moot.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

I tried to load it on my mac and it crashed immediately after I tried to open. Here's a crash report, in case that is at all useful to you: http://pastebin.com/wvk5dcY3

Oof. That's why it's good to get a little outside testing before submitting.

I'll stick to the Windows build for now, and maybe take up the crashing with the middleware devs later. Right now I've got to focus on (question mark?).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm not one to generally experience pride but I keep going to the games page, looking at the wall of entries, seeing this:

and thinking, "Hey. I drew that. And I like how it looks!"

I don't think that's ever happened before. But between a road trip and a bachelor party I managed to develop an artistic style which translates onto computers and get comfortable with a game engine that I really feel might be The One for me, when most of them end up in the poo-poo pile within a day or so of experimentation.

When's the next game jam? I've gotta keep this gravy train rolling.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JonTerp posted:

Octo-Jam in October and our big exciting Winter Jam in December.

Is this Winter Jam a forums thing? Mr. Google just returned a bunch about some concert.

In general I like the pacing of month-long jams; it ends up being about a week's worth of effort but I get to space it comfortably.

For those particularly jonesin' there's also One Game a Month, although it lacks the motivating factor of judges and reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GlyphGryph posted:

Roller Darby
A good try, but I stopped playing on the second level and would not play again.

Thanks for the review. I'm aware of most of the problem spots (turns out designing levels is not my favorite thing to do), but just for clarification, where did you get stuck? Was it the trampoline bit?

• Locked thread