Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
SAGameDev Challenge X - 2015

LOGO PSD
http://www.awfuljams.com

It's all over! Go play those goon games! http://www.awfuljams.com/games

Join us Friday August 7th and Saturday the 8th for the GONG SHOW and Friday August 14th for the JUDGING stream.
Twitch.tv/SAGameDev

CRITICAL OMISSION IS YOUR THEME

We have a Twitter: @SAGameDev which will be used *strictly* for important announcements. Not to clog your feed with retweets and other social media garbage.

Need help forming a team? Want to talk to other devs during the jam, or ask for help when everything inevitably goes terribly wrong? Join #SAGDC on synirc.

If you have any trouble with the site, send an email to admin@sagamedev.net

It’s that time again!
Every year brave game developers come together for a singular purpose: making games. This is the Something Awful Game Dev Challenge, where you are tasked with the full month of July to create a game following a given theme. This year is the first year we’re opening SAGDC up to the public!

How do I submit / announce my team?
'SAGDC X' premieres a slick new web-interface to automate key aspects of the jam process. Go to http://www.awfuljams.com and press the 'Join Jam' button to establish your team and maintain your game page. You're free to wait until later to establish a game page. Game pages aren't published until the end of the competition, you can however give out a link to your game page early for testing / previewing purposes.

Everyone will be free to join, make a team & game page until the very last moment of the Jam (1AM CST August 1st).

For submitting games, we will enable submitting your finalized zipped game for the judges during the final week. Submissions to judges are final, so be sure to test your game thoroughly. Public versions of your game can be updated as much as you’d like, even after the competition ends.

**You are responsible for hosting your game for public play on your game-page.**

The Judging Process
We’ve revamped the scoring and judging system from previous years. For SAGDC X, submitted games will be split up between the 6 judges. Judges will rate each game on a scale from 1 to 5, and provide a few paragraphs of critique and reflection. Each judge will pick 2 “top picks” from their given batch, all judges will then play each-other’s top picks.

The process culminates in a live-streamed deliberations phase, where we decide together the best submissions for each category.

Your Intrepid Judges
* Everdraed
* InternetJanitor
* JamesRossi
* JonTerp
* Mido
* poemdexter

Categories

* Game of the Year
- The judge's pick for best game overall.
* Best Style
- Pick for most use of art and stylistic choice.
* Best Narrative
- Our choice for best story and narrative design.
* Best Game Design
- Goes to the game with the most compelling mechanics and gameplay.
* Best Use of Theme
- For clever incorporation of the jam's theme.

*Best Use of Audio
- Chosen for clever use of audio and sound design
* Community Choice
- Game that's picked as the community favorite.

Note: You cannot win multiple categories, winning in any category removes you from running in the others (Except Game of the Year). This is just to ensure even distribution of prizes.

Prizes!
Oh boy do we have them. Through the pure generosity of a few kind-hearted developers and publishers this year is set to be the biggest prize pool in SAGDC history.

Below are our currently secured prizes, we're still in talks to get more. Most prizes will be secured once the E3 chaos subsides. Keep an eye on the @SAGameDev Twitter for more announcements.

GOTY Grand Prize
* Super Swag-box Grande
----A large box of merchandise from our friends in the industry.
* The Goon-pack
----A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

GOTY Runner-Up
* The Goon-pack
---- A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

Category Winner
* Swag-bag
---- A swag-bag of merchandise from our friends in the industry.
* The Goon-pack
---- A bundle of the most authentic Goon games on Steam.

Best Unreal Engine Game
*Epic Swag Pack

Best Unity Game
*Full Unity Pro License.
---- A fully featured Unity 5 Pro license key.

Best Sound

* 1st place: SFX Bundle from Boom Libraries
* 2nd place: Construction Kit from Boom Libraries
* 3rd place: Desigend edition from Boom Libraries

Community Choice
* The Community Prize
* To be determined

Special thanks to the developers & third parties providing prizes!
* [Bungie]
* [Boom Library]
* [Epic Games]
* [FanGamer]
* [Unity]

The Wall of Shame

The wretched edifice that foreverial records a prideful dev’s hubris. If you say you will make a game for SAGDC but fail to deliver, your name ends up on the wall. You don’t want this to happen. We don’t want this to happen either though, so we do our best to give opportunities to escape its dreadful surface. It hungers.

This year, the shame wall has gained sentience and a cold robot heart. There is no escape, no place to hide. Your shame will be immortalized for all future generations to see.

Bounties
GOON-ONLY
Posters can put forward bounties to reward devs for meeting specific criteria. For example, ‘I will give $10 to the dev that best uses :toot: in their game’ or ‘one copy of bad rats for the game with the worst physics implementation.’ It is entirely up to bounty givers to choose their winner(s) and deliver promised rewards. This is for the thread ONLY, and does not apply to games made by non-goons.

Available Bounties
KRILLIN IN THE NAME : Avatar certificate for most tasteful dad-dong.
Shalinor : 5x Hot Tin Roof Deluxe for best use of cats.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4NfqOmcX8

FAQ

Q: Rules?
A:
Rule #1: Don't be an rear end in a top hat
Rule #2: Keep copyrighted content to a bare minimum. See Rule #1.
Rule #3: Don't be hateful or rude toward other teams. See Rule #1.
Rule #4: If you're writing code in the time before the competition starts, release the source for everyone else. See Rule #1.
Rule #5: Go hog wild.

Q: Can I use marketplace purchases (IE Unity Asset store or Unreal Marketplace) in my jam games?
A: Yep! Purchased assets of any type are all fair game.

JossiRossi posted:

So you want to work on a game but you only have half the skills needed to make a game? Well shut up you are wrong you can use twine. However, if you still want to work with others and make some game dev friends but aren't sure where to start then I have what you need.

:siren: Something Awful Game Dev Competition X Orphans List :siren:

The Form
https://goo.gl/forms/oYLVxABURO
Go here and fill out the questions to the best of your ability. Basic info is needed, Name, Contact, Skills, and optionally Availability.

The Sheet
https://goo.gl/ofNSfj
All submissions will appear on this spreadsheet. People can not edit this form directly but the public is allowed to make comments.

IF YOU JOIN A TEAM PLEASE COMMENT YOUR SECTION AS SUCH. It will go a long way to keeping things sane on that sheet. I'll also do my best to keep an eye on it in case something goes wrong.

poemdexter posted:

~All Games Are Beautiful~

If any of you are first timers to game dev, programming, art, or whatever, you should definitely hop over into the #SAGDC channel on synirc. The channel has been nonstop over the past 2 years with close to 100 people online at all times and it's a huge hugbox for people making games regardless of skill.

There's also the Making Games Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853
There's also the Game Development Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947

There's also Pixel Prospector - http://www.pixelprospector.com/ with TONS of resources for getting started including free sounds and art.

My wish as a judge this year is to be absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of entries. Last year was great with over 40 games to judge I think. Plus, instead of getting some arbitrary number score, you'll actually get real feedback on your game. Exciting!

JonTerp posted:

Boom Library has graciously provided a prize pack, free sounds, and a 15% discount code from their site for everyone involved in the jam.

Free SFX: http://www.boomlibrary.com/boomlibrary/00_FreeSFX/cinematic_series_free_sfx_278mb.zip

Discount Code: SAGameDev-15

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have a mostly complete build of my game and I just did the best thing I could have done with it: I had someone who had not seen or knew anything about it sit down and play it.

Right off the bat, I saw about 6 things I need to change. Things that I wouldn't have seen because I am too close to it.

Don't know where to start? Read InternetJanitor's post on low-effort game engines HERE

Calipark fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 20, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Innerguard posted:

Judge from previous years, more than happy to throw my hat in the ring again for this year.

Judges are all locked in already. We hand picked them this year to avoid waiting 3 weeks for stragglers to finish reviewing. Thanks for offering though.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

KiddieGrinder posted:

We should have a "WANTED:" section for teams who might need particular talents. Otherwise people might not join a team because they don't think they're needed, or something like that.

Basically I'm interested, but I'm just a (bad) artist, so I'm not sure where I'd fit in, or what projects I'd be interested in.

You can hunt people down in the thread by leaving your email, or better yet join the IRC Channel.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Proper logo is up in the OP with link to PSD source so you can use it in your games, if that's the sort of thing you're into.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
*snip* We'll use JamesRossi's method instead.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 18, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Internet Janitor posted:

#SAGameDev is the general channel which always has about 100 people online. #SAGDC is a side channel intended specifically for discussion related to this year's competition.

To clarify, we split off into a side channel because of the public nature of this year's jam.

The general worry was if this did take off, it would flood the main #SAGameDev channel and drown out people talking about non-SAGDC related stuff or vice versa.

On the topic of first timers, SAGDC 2013 was my first time making a game. Sewer Solvers was literally my first ever "completed" game of any scale (You should go play it, it's hilariously bad.)

This experience was life-changing, not even exaggerating, and lead to me getting a pretty great industry job a little over a year later. Just make a game, make mistakes, make something wonderfully terrible and over-scoped. That's most of the fun for participants and spectators.

I know a lot of SAGDC alumni went on to be indie super-stars or hold pretty swanky AAA industry jobs. THAT COULD BE YOU! Or not, you could find out Game development isn't for you and that's just as valuable. If only so that you'll spare your friends from hearing you rant about how much you wanna get into game development.

In summary, MAKE A VIDEO GAME. You have no excuse.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Unormal posted:

Make Games! Meet People! Engage In World Domination! #SAGAMEDEV

Excuse me, the hashtag is #SAGDC. Please stay on message #JoinTheConversation #SocialMedia #IJustWantToDie

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shalinor posted:

Back at the VERY beginning of SAGDC, it was a very real thing, and we carried the names across, and you had to redeem yourself to get your name off the Wall Of Shame. Now it's mostly symbolic. A metaphor for your supreme failings as a get-stuff-done'er.

Unless the new organizers are bringing it back for real. :3:

Oh it's coming back. This time it's fully automated and inescapable, powered by a sinister robot heart located ~IN THE CLOUD~. (Shout outs to people with cloud-to-butt extension)

We've got some fun ideas.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 19, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
We got a nicer domain because domains are cool I guess.

https://www.awfuljams.com

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shuffle posted:

your captcha on the register page isn't setup so can't register an account

Top men are on the job.

Use the old site sagdc.sagamedev.net in the mean time.

Disabled Captcha verification until we get this sorted. Everything should work fine!

Calipark fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 19, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

MockingQuantum posted:

Is helping out multiple teams allowed for us one-trick ponies?

Absolutely. Keep in mind though that you might not get any prizes if a game you worked on wins. We're leaving it up to the team leader to distribute the prize haul among the team-mates.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Just to clarify, Local Color doesn't HAVE to be specific to your location. It's not like the judges are going to look into your personal history to make sure your game is accurate to your heritage.

All the themes are open to your own unique interpretation.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 22, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

BossRighteous posted:

Question

If my game requires server side processing, that won't pose a problem with submission and judging will it? A lot of the logic for a game I am kicking around relies on a multiplayer server so beyond passing along an SQL Dump and Git repo it would have to be honor system that I am not touching it.

That's fine. Multiplayer games have done well in the past, but there have been multiplayer entries that had servers got down right before judging or nobody willing to get a game together.

With that being said it sounds like all you require is a server backend and not lots of people to play, so that's one of the two big worries out of the way.

At the end of the day, if you can avoid using a server then avoid using a server. If you think it's worth the risk and investment, go for it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Giggs posted:

I made my first game in last year's competition, Public Axes.

Part of why it was mechanically uninteresting was because I spent most of the month learning how to use Game Maker.

This year it's going to be different! I have way less free time and I'm going to use Unity which I've never even looked at before.

The IRC channel (#SAGDC) will be PACKED with Unity experts during the jam, so be sure to drop in. We're always more than happy to learn you some Unity.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The second post was updated with a handy FAQ with some rules for the jam.

Basically. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Obsurveyor posted:

This is your opinion and a political choice, unless you guys have changed the rules of SAGDC this year to be more like some of the more traditional game jams(which would be a shame).

edit: Reviewing the rules again this year, I see you have: This sucks.

edit: To clarify what sucks: It sucks that it has now been codified into the rules that you're an rear end in a top hat if you don't open source your previously written code. Homebrew engines have never been subject to this in the past and the rules never made open sourcing anything practically a requirement. As a rule, I don't like anyone forcing anyone else to open source anything, it goes against what I understand is the spirit of open source itself. gently caress GNU too.

Internet Janitor posted:

The point of the game jam is that all contestants should have exactly a month to work, and everyone should start at the same level, with only their wits and their plans. Building large, general purpose frameworks in advance to save yourself work could be seen as gaining an unfair advantage- open sourcing such tools is, as I said, good form, because it is one way to avoid creating that unfair advantage. We can't strictly enforce any of the rules, so it is up to contestants to behave ethically.

It's my fault for not being clear in my post, for that I apologize.

The reason behind the "suggestion" is that if you do work before the competition or are using framework code you wrote yourself that you release the source. This doesn't mean your full custom engine, the suggestion is geared more toward those using frameworks like libgx, Unity, UE4, UDK, etc.

Here's an example: Let's say you're using Unity and decide this week you'll be making a point and click adventure game around the theme this year and start programming the framework around that. Fine, we're totally cool with that and we can't really enforce you technically starting work before the contest begins anyways. We just SUGGEST you release your code to everyone else in the spirit of fairness.

I will update the FAQ now to reflect this clarity.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Boom Library has graciously provided a prize pack, free sounds, and a 15% discount code from their site for everyone involved in the jam.

Free SFX: http://www.boomlibrary.com/boomlibrary/00_FreeSFX/cinematic_series_free_sfx_278mb.zip

Discount Code: SAGameDev-15

Boom Library posted:

The BOOM Library prides itself on providing high-end, ultimate sound effects for all media and audio professionals. Our products have this specific edge you will not find anywhere else: Every collection comes with a 96 kHz high definition, huge source library of our original recordings + a great variety of designed SFX, ready to use. All BOOM Library products are royalty free – which means you get unlimited synch rights with every purchase.

When producing a new BOOM SFX Library, we put all our sound design expertise into the production process to ensure top quality and instant usability. Not only for game projects but for any project that needs to be boosted with a set of great SFX.

The prize packs will be awarded to the top 3 winners of "Best Use of Audio" and range in value from $110 to $220 USD.

Big thanks to Boom Library for providing the prizes, free library, and discounts!

Calipark fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 26, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: I have the Cinematic Hits (+ Construction Kit) and The Interface and they're both amazing. I wonder, will the winners be able to choose their pack? Hope so.

Look in the OP for who gets what. Construction Kit is 2nd place if you already have one of the prizes I'm sure they'll work something out with you. They're handling the distribution of the prizes.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Temper Trudeau posted:

I want to be in on this so bad. But I can't code, only have Blender and Unity 4.6 (and I still dont know how to move assets from one to the other, or compile/package it into a browser game) and no good sound equipment atm.

So for everyone involved I hope you guys have a great time making games, so I can have a great time playing them.

Are you kidding me? Join the orphan list or buckle up and make a game anyways.

Quitters never win, and winners don't do drugs.

In Jam news, we have a little more than 5 days to go. The judges council will convene over the weekend to decide the theme so if you've got strong feelings one way or another say your piece!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so is there a hashtag associated with all of this? I know this might seem silly to some, but at the same time, Twitter is of course FLOODED with people in the game industry.

#SAGameDevX?

I've been using #SAGDC on the official Twitter account. But literally who cares.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
A bit over 48 hours to go until the jam starts!

We'll be doing a live stream at 11PM Central Time June 30th to announce the theme and kick off the Jam.

You will find us at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

See you then!

edit: You can also just leave the AwfulJams home page open, it'll auto update and start the stream when we go live.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 29, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Mega Shark posted:

I know this might be silly but anyway we can get a category for those of us stupid enough to make a game solo?

You're right that is a bit silly, each of the three possible categories are perfectly suited for any scale of game.

There have been plenty of successful solo teams in the past, just go for it!

edit: Since this is at the top of a new page I'll reiterate.

There will be a livestream at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev on June 30th 11pm Central. We'll announce the theme and explain some stuff, hope you'll join us!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Mega Shark posted:

Question regarding marketplace purchases on Unity or Unreal. If I have a purchased Hex Tile library someone else made, can I use it in the Jam?

Yep! Purchased assets of any type are all fair game.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Fredrik1 posted:

It's been July 1:st for 44 minutes now!

Not in my corner of the world bucko. You've got 4 1/2 hours to go.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Obsurveyor posted:

Why does the website say like 1 day and 7 hours? :P

Fixed! Turns out it was counting down till the end of the jam not the start, but removing the months & days :V

nolen posted:

I might hop in this year with a local team. Anything is better than the year I created and submitted https://www.virtualballsack.com

Pretty much my favorite entry of any year ever.

I mean it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Stream is live, we'll start the video in 30 minutes.

You can watch on https://www.awfuljams.com or https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
CRITICAL OMISSION IS YOUR THEME

edit:

In case you missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4NfqOmcX8

Calipark fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 1, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

*mashes the 'vote 5' button* Going hog wild and it isn't even 24 hours in yet.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I decided the electronics thing was dumb and stupid and I couldn't figure out how to scope objects properly in Fusion 2.5 without copying and pasting events a million times so I made a titlescreen instead.

Please stop using Fusion :ohdear:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Keket posted:

Okay I think I know how to barely animate now..

One of the ideas we had but scrapped was making a platformer with no graphics, everything is sound based, crunching of crass before a jump, sound of enemy footsteps etc.

For a beginner and also using Blender that's really good.

But the animation perfectionist in me insists I tell you to look into "Overlapping motion" makes things looks a LOT nicer.

I did 3D animation as a beginner during the 2013 SAGDC on Sewer Solvers where I assumed since I was "good" at animating in Source Filmmaker that I could do it just fine in Maya. NOPE. Sewer Solvers had a few mostly finished fully animated cutscenes that got cut right before submission.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 6, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Unity has graciously provided us with a Unity 5 Pro License for winner of a new category "Best Unity Game"!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Those of you using UE4 be sure to optimize your games for low end platforms. There's some minor things, often turned on by default, that can bring low-med end machines to their knees while running perfectly fine on modern gaming rigs.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Performance/index.html

Some judges are using laptops, so keep that in mind if you're using a higher end engine like UE4 or Unity.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

psivamp posted:

So, there's a good chance that I still won't enter/turn anything in, but we are talking OpenGL 3.3 capable, right?
I'm writing fairly low-level OGL stuff and I don't want to go below OpenGL 3.

You'll be fine just make sure it's at least slightly optimized.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Windows 98 posted:

A bunch of GBS bullshit

That poo poo doesn't belong here, please shill your game in the Game Dev megathread if you must.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 11, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Epic Games will be providing a sweet swag prize pack to the winner of ~BEST UNREAL ENGINE GAME~.

A bit late but hey it's something for you UE4 users to look forward too!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Who is going to judge on this prize and the similar Unity one? Is it the SA judges or someone from Epic and Unity?

xzzy posted:

I would assume it's whichever game gets the highest score and fits the criteria.

We're going to judge those categories.

Judges will treat it as it's own category. Due to the way we're doing judging this year there is no "Highest score" everything is rated from one to five, whole numbers only. The deliberations will be used to rank the top 12 games (2 top picks per judge), and nominate them for category awards.

Keep in mind you can only win a single category. But in the instance of a Unity game winning "Game of the Year", that Unity game will likely be the top contender for" Best Unity Game" as well. If that happens we'll let the winner decide if they want the big box of prizes or the Unity License.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 13, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Svampson posted:

Attacking is now (sort of) in, also got the basic level stuff in so I can now work on actually making this a game!

:stare: That looks incredible.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Stepping in on the version-control conversation.

Git is great because it generally works pretty well and TONS of git sites exist.

But if you can manage to get a good Perforce setup working, good lord. It's the industry standard for a reason. I was forced to learn it when I got hired and after like 2 weeks I was in love.

edit: For the love of god DON'T USE SVN.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Hey just a heads up, if you tweet an especially cool screen shot or gif on the #SAGDC hashtag I'll retweet it on the SAGameDev Twitter account.

Ya know if you're into that sort of thing.

• Locked thread