Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Welp, looks like Team Not Actually a Team needs to crank out another game! It's called Team Not Actually a Team because it's just me. So yeah count my solo rear end in.

I'm a solo act as well.

Hopefully this year I actually submit something, unlike the past three years. The last game I actually submitted has its source on google code, which dates it pretty effectively I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sympathetic to the pain of being a judge, but if you want the event to continue to be newbie friendly there's going to have to be a certain amount of tolerance to junk. Being "meaner" is just going to convince people to not bother.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

2011 was my first game, and everything since then has been way too big for a single person to finish in a month. So it's safe to say I got worse with experience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm guessing if that theme gets picked, at least half a dozen games will be 2d side scrollers with no jumping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the upside, if you get old without no regrets it means you haven't lived.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best critical omission idea I have so far is some kind of shooter with no bullets, best grandma game is some kind of knitting simulator, best local color is a maze game where you play a cow in downtown Chicago that's littered with oil lamps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ekster posted:

I was thinking about a Critical Omission game that plays like a standard boring indie platformer except the graphics/sound/enemy type changes a lot, simulating an extremely buggy, unfinished game. I would have to experiment a bunch to see what would work best but I think it's potentially a good way to make standard gameplay much more exciting.

I bet it's very easy for me to pull off, since I've never made a full game before. :v:

From a programmer perspective you could pull off some cool stuff with this idea.. like how the original Metroid and Super Mario Bros. allowed you to glitch into other areas of memory and have them be 'secret worlds.'

So you intentionally make a game that has no memory bounds checking (the critical omission) and you're playing the game's code as a level.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I gotta say the more I think about game ideas, the less I like the Games for Grandma possibility. I mean there's certainly things to do with that theme, but compared to the other two options it just feels like there's a lot less opportunity to do something cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago has:

Burning the city down,
Prohibition era mob,
Rampant government corruption,
Corn,
Gang violence.

So yeah some pretty good seeds in there. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

Local Color only works for people that live in interesting areas(i.e. big or historical cities). It's pretty loving boring where I live and nothing especially exciting ever happened.

There has to be some dumb local history you could use. Like some crazy old man that all the kids talk in hushed whispers, or some old unsolved murder, or some kind of annual parade.

It probably doesn't have to be your own town either. Move out to your state or country and there's got be something. The categories in SAGDC aren't strictly policed so as long as there's some thin connection to the stated theme you're in the clear. You could probably even make a local color game about a place on the other side of the planet, it's not like the judges are going to demand proof of where you live.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I would imagine all the Seattle goons would make games based around accidentally burning down cities.

Or building a town on a tidal flat, then blowing up a cliff for fill when they got tired of being flooded constantly. Seattle's history is awesome.

Or how about an apocalypse survival game when a couple inches of snow falls and no one can drive anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't be so sure, there's always some nuts stuff that comes out of left field even for supposedly "bad" themes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

SA folklore?

Someone's always looking for an excuse to make a Zybourne entry for SAGDC.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, javascript frameworks have come a long way since the last time I looked into them. Thinking of trying out Phaser for this.. anyone got a strong opinion for or against it or any other library?

Seems like a slam dunk for 2d as it looks like it does everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But what if it was a good game before you took out the fun? That technically satisfies the requirement. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

The "something important" doesn't have to be a core feature of functionality. If I made a civil war game that didn't have Abraham Lincoln that'd be missing something important if you ask me. :colbert:

Yeah I'd love seeing what goofy stories people come up with in their games, but to me the category just screams "do something weird with play mechanics" and I wouldn't be surprised if most of the entries tried to do something novel along those lines.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's nothing against brushing up beforehand either. As long as you're not actually working on your game (which would be stupid anyways because none of us know what the theme will be) you can bang out all the test code you want in whatever framework you're intending to use.

That's what I've been doing the last week, grinding out code examples and reading up on docs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You really gotta focus on that first two minutes.. if it's not instantly fun as heck people are just going to close your game and move on to the next one.

So come up with your draw and introduce it to the player asap, it doesn't have to be literally the first thing they do but it should be at least a quick buildup.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hmm, Critical Commission? I'm thinking a wall street RPG.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Open source code debates? It's like 2005 all over again. Quick someone get slashdot on the case. :allears:

This is the result of my phaser testing:

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/

Tarball:

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/sagdc.tgz

Javascript is such a love/hate thing. I wish I could do web browser games in python.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have ideas for all three categories I think I could have fun with (making the game fun is another matter entirely) but I still think critical omission is going to produce the most unique game styles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So much for hoping we'd get 24 hours lead time on the theme. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Takanago posted:

Kinda makes me want to make an FPS or something where you just throw guns at people and never actually shoot them.

This was actually my first idea, a Contra clone. You have to bludgeon enemies to death, take their gun, and then throw useless guns at more enemies to kill them.

Everyone's running around confused why their guns don't work, then BLAMMO ak-47 to the chin.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably my last experimentation with Phaser before this whole thing kicks off:

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/

Has game states, menus, keyboard and mouse input, toggles, collision, tilemaps, and win conditions. Basically the barest implementation of what you need for a 2d game. Code is available via a link on the page.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BossRighteous posted:

Critical Omission doesn't have to mean a handicapped game. Instead of elements of the engine missing, think about characters or items or motifs missing from classic game structures. You can have a full features game that is missing pretty much anything, as long at the absence is noticed and affects the outcome.

One of my ideas was 'concentration camp saboteur.' The germans keep trying to gas chamber the prisoners but during the night you break the machinery and they get really confused why their murder machine doesn't murder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chernabog posted:

Critical omission: The game.

You see, it is an art game. There is simply no game :aaaaa:

Maybe you can license 4'33" for the soundtrack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't that what Recettear is? :v:

(yes I know there's more to Recettear than that)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

An internet dating sim would be hilarious and hilariously offensive. Message hot people and never get a single reply ever. Get tons of creepy stuff from horrifying people with red flag profiles though. Manage to get lucky and get a reply from an attractive person, and then you get there and it's just one of the horrifying people that was messaging you before.

It's supposed to be a game, not my actual life. :qq:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

I still don't have a single idea that A: Isn't over-scoped B: Isn't gimmicky and dumb C: Is actually a game or D: I give a gently caress about making.

Really don't like this theme.

Then pick one of the other ones, your omission is you omitted the theme. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Three day weekend, and I've spent like two hours at the keyboard. :downs:

At least my click-and-drag-to-move idea seems not too hard.

https://gfycat.com/SleepyNeighboringCollie

(fun is another concern entirely)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like a representative example of everyone's experience using physics in Unity.

Works great to about the 80% mark and then HOLY poo poo WHAT'S HAPPENING.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It only took 6 days to get character movement basically working in a way I mostly like. I'm in great shape. :downs:

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/a1/

Now there's just a long list of everything else I need, which is basically art, enemies, and hazards. Should be simple, right??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I set gravity really low to see if I could get it to feel like a balloon.

I change the gravity and max speed values just about every every time I reload because I can't decide what I like. I was just happy to get controls working reliably so I can actually make headway on all the other mechanics I need to get working.

I'm also undecided on whether to allow movement while in the air, which might make a slow fall speed more tolerable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bouncy physics!

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/a2/

It's still not perfect but a quirk of how I track the mouse vector means you can queue up jumps while midair, and if you release the mouse as you contact a surface you can instantly fling in another direction. It actually feels fun to me.. I might have to hack in more tolerance so you don't actually have to be in contact with the ground because it's a little too precise right now but it's a lot more playable than it was this morning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft 3 hours is the minimum amount of time to get anything half done.

I spent all night trying to get an end-of-level collider working!

(because bad documentation is bad)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What are you writing it in? Because that doesn't seem to lose any frames when things get busy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is basically all I enjoy doing in gta v so I guess that means you're going in the right direction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Level select! Level victory sensors! Enemies! Enemy movement! Placeholder art that's 100% a ripoff from super mario bros!

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/a3/

It's frustrating how small a list of features can consume two days of effort.

And how much basic poo poo I have left to implement. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tann posted:

Cool! Like the squishing when you're about to jump. The text on the webpage is causing issues- if you highlight it by mistake and then drag again, it won't let you jump : (

Yeah, I have mouse capture disabled because it's annoying during development.

I'm not super familiar with mouse support with html5/canvas but it looks like dragging outside the window while clicked just confuses the gently caress out of the javascript event sending. Like if you click outside the window after it gets "stuck" and then go back to the game, the metroid will almost always go flying off in some random direction at top speed.

I might be able to mitigate that with hacking down the road, but for now it's super sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Out of nowhere a bug showed up where mouse clicks while playing a level will somehow register as button presses on my main menu screen and restart the level. :psyduck:

I thought Phaser's state system was supposed to clean everything up on changing states and until this point it's been perfect but obviously it's not doing that sometimes. I love it when insane bugs that are hard to reproduce show up for no reason.

• Locked thread