Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
it was also mentioned in the IRC, Local flavor counts on a national level, so johnny appleseed (even if you're in washington) would be completely fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

This is your opinion and a political choice, unless you guys have changed the rules of SAGDC this year to be more like some of the more traditional game jams(which would be a shame).

edit: Reviewing the rules again this year, I see you have: This sucks.

edit: To clarify what sucks: It sucks that it has now been codified into the rules that you're an rear end in a top hat if you don't open source your previously written code. Homebrew engines have never been subject to this in the past and the rules never made open sourcing anything practically a requirement. As a rule, I don't like anyone forcing anyone else to open source anything, it goes against what I understand is the spirit of open source itself. gently caress GNU too.

If you happen to have made a tower defense engine that lets you do what you need and surprise you want to make a tower defense game 'cause it'd fit with the theme. Similar to code golf, if you happened to make an engine that by inputting the letter a it gives you the first 300 primes then if you made it before even thinking about the code golf then yeah that should be kosher, but suddenly nope not open source not allowed everything must be open source opensource is the calling of christ praise stallman?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Also dumb explanation for a reminder for local color (it may give inspiration, I hope)

This is lebanon balogna, it's a pennsylvania dutch thing, it's delicious. This isn't folklore, but it would count as local color.

If you can think of a food that's local to your area that nobody knows about, or a lore thing that's local to your area, or whatnot. Boom makes sense and is interesting enough for a public audience to care about I'm sure.

I await upcoming games such as "Bagged milk what the gently caress?" or "Blood pudding is weird"

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

sighnoceros posted:

Well I think I have an idea for local color now in case that gets picked. 2d side-view horror exploration game set in Centralia, PA - a real-life ghost town that was a strong influence on the design of the town of Silent Hill. Basically a coal mine under the town caught fire and released toxic gas into the town so everyone had to evacuate, and it's still burning to this day.

I'm about an hour from there, so if you need pictures of it send me a call.

Edit: Oh right, important note. Centrailia's population is actually 10. They ain't afraid of no underground mine fire and It wasn't so much the "hey coal is burning that's bad watch smoke inhalation kill you" it's the "hey coal is burning and since a significant portion of the dirt under your house is coal and now that structural foundation you have is going up in smoke you MIGHT not want to be there ok bye" *walk outside and fall into a sinkhole into hell.

Forer fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 27, 2015

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

poo poo we need to make a titlescreen for burggame, what should we do... OH I KNOW!

... Wait, I can't get a gif of this. I'm the mergrheamhanz guy, it'd ruin my reputation, it's not fun and weird and wacky enough!

Fixed it!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Spoilers: he didn't fix it before we woke up

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

JonTerp posted:

Just a FYI, Something Flappy has been given an honorary slot on the Wall-of-shame.

Why? Because it's literally just a flappy bird tutorial with the SAGDC X logo slapped on it. It does nothing to adhere to the theme or try to be anything but a legit direct tutorial project. Might as well have uploaded someone else's game.

Yeah, I don't think this is cool. Someone needs a gamejam to be forced to follow a tutorial to completion or make a direct rip of a game sure, w/e, they're not going to get a high score in the judging. Do we need to give excuses for people to :bandwagon: when the entire point of this is to be a resource for learning an a motivational effort to complete a game, literally no matter how lovely it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

JonTerp posted:

Could be you were moving your Rigid bodies in Update and not FixedUpdate. FixedUpdate is where all physics calculations happen.

oh riiiiiiiight...

I wondered why burgergame ran 10x the normal speed, and apparently it did that ever since we built it. I remembered update() being just a big while loop and fixedUpdate() being a loop that runs every frame but I couldn't remember what you use fixedupdate for aside from just controls which we didn't have in our game.

Then we compiled it and I assume that optimized it and removed a frame limit for update() and now the game runs way way quicker than we expected and somehow didn't break the game and still makes it playable.

• Locked thread