Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'll pop my name into the sheet (although most of my team-hopping was done in media res the last two years). I can usually handle two "full teams" worth of work, but it depends on what people ask, and I'll probably swoop in with a few last-minute pieces for those who need it, again.

I'm hoping that I'll have the necessary experience this year to make my own game, but we'll have to see. Critical Omission sounds like a lot of fun, so I'm hopin' for that!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Internet Janitor posted:

2013 was also my first year. I made a game called Cardsharp, which as far as I know is the world's only procedurally generated survival horror educational card game.
Uh-oh, looks like I'm replaying Cardsharp.

2013 was my first year participating, as well. The experience gained has been wonderful, and I even got paid for a couple things thanks to SA connections!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

floofyscorp posted:

We're going to be a fiancé and fiancée team, but will probably be on the lookout for a floating audio person - and a 3D animator, if any of those exist. Now to decide on a team name...
Ooh, ooh, I'm a floating audio person! I also like 3D animation a lot, but I don't think I'd be able to utilize that particular skillset since I know so little about bringing animations into games (and I'm not particularly great at it, anyhow).

Internet Janitor posted:

It's a bit of a slow burner. There's a good reason it got very mixed reviews.
I know, but I still adore it. It's one of the few entries from that year that I've gone back to multiple times.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

xzzy posted:

I'm guessing if that theme gets picked, at least half a dozen games will be 2d side scrollers with no jumping.
poo poo!

Yeah, I mentioned "You Have No Legs" in the IRC the other day - couldn't remember the name, though! Glad to see someone found it. I'd like to believe I've got an especially good take on "2D platformer without a jump button," but we'll have to see how it pans out when I actually try to execute it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Obsurveyor posted:

I think more interesting gameplay could come out of Critical Omission than Local Color. Local Color seems more inspiring towards the setting/story/ambiance which seems like it would lead to more basic and repetitive gameplay we've seen before.
Yeah, this is kind of where I am, although it's somewhat because my interest in history is low. I have some ideas for Local Color, but, beyond the setting, they're very dull and derivative (hmm, what's happened in California, oh, Bacon & Eggs fire, let's make an ~auto runner~ or some sort of way-too-clicky game that would rely entirely on its presentation!). I guess I'm not very creative when the mechanics don't come first.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Local color is my least favorite for the contest because it will require explanation in each game before the player knows what the local story is about. This means more exposition and less game play.
From a design standpoint, somewhat, but not at all from a gameplay standpoint, necessarily. I have a strong idea for a Local Color game that would spend no time at all on exposition, favoring environmental storytelling and story communicated through mechanics.

That said, if Local Color is picked, I will likely not execute this idea at all, as it'll require the most amount of effort out of all three categories to make good and polished, and I get the feeling I'll be stuck doing a lot of experimenting for TEAM PUNCH FIGHT and Sighnoceros. My Critical Omission idea is one where I can create functional resources first, being able to put presentation on the far backburner, and I can more easily focus on things one step at a time. It just feels like the most organized plan out of the three. I feel the most confident in actually putting out a complete, finished product with that theme (and the same goes for Critical Omission as applied to the other two teams I'm working with).

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
So, day 1 has been surprisingly eventful. All the work with my other two teams has just been design discussion, so I spent a decent chunk of time today laying out the core mechanics that my game will have, as well as setting up the framework for future things like proper animations and whatnot.

My critical omission is, naturally, a "platformer with no jump," which I'm going to be passing over later with a few different shades of Critical Omission since I think it sounds a bit uninspired right now. That said, I like the core idea, so I'm gonna' run with it. The core idea for this game (tentatively titled "Zip!") is that you have a dash that you can use to possess enemies and objects, as well as a button that can be used to manipulate them (such as changing the angle at which a cannon shoots cannonballs, or the speed at which a platform moves). In order to make this process one that isn't completely overwhelming for me, I'll be using something called the "Grandma Engine" (a platformer framework for Game Maker, created by the guy who made An Untitled Story). So far, I'm quite happy with this decision, as it has a number of things in place that will make creating specific features fairly painless.

Currently, I've managed to set up a dash that functions and feels exactly how I want it to, and I've managed to make it so that I can possess and change the firing angle of a cheap-looking cannon. My current goal is to set up a system of parent and children that make it so an object can be designated as capable of being controlled as long as it has the appropriate parent object, because I really, REALLY don't want to write a bunch of the same code for every single object that can be zipped into.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Woo! Made more progress on my game and got a little music done. Also got to play around with UE4's level editor, which turned out to be more fun than I expected. I'm really pumped about everything I'm working on!

Again, most of my work today went to Zip! I managed to work out last night's issue - I had to write a script that would declare the player as "zipping" into an object, to be placed on each "zippable" object. This ensures that an object being "zipped into" is always the instance that the player aims for. Should be pretty easy to toss around to each object in the future.

My current issues are "How do I make it so the player faces the same direction after leaving an object as they did when entering it?" (which I spent an hour on, to no avail), and "How do I make laser beams work???" That said, the core stuff is enough in-place and functional that I was able to make a little puzzle, so here's a progress gif!

Spoilered because I may actually use this puzzle (or something very similar to it) in the final game.

Jo posted:

Still trying to decide on a name, Dom? Duum? Dum? Oom? Doo? One critically omitted letter.
I like "Dum" the most, by far.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

SynthOrange posted:

Dont forget the umlaut

"Dum with a diaeresis."

I haven't been able to sleep quite yet, so I've been chipping away a little more at my game's basic mechanics, and I managed to make a small breakthrough! Now, the player will conserve the momentum of the object they were just possessing. I feel like the player's air control should be minimal except for the dash, so taking advantage of momentum will be important.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

I just wanted to have my character inherit the platform's speed....

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

yes perfect

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jo posted:

I'm struggling a bit with level design too. I had figured I'd go through a series of implicitly training the player. Level 1 being, "How to move," with no enemies and a small slope, forcing the player to learn mouselook and straifing. Maybe jump. However, it feels like it's playing slightly too slow. Level 2 being, you don't have to kill enemies, etc. That seems too brief, though.
What do you mean by "it's playing slightly too slow"?

That Gobbo posted:

Any good tips or articles for a 2D platformer level design? The last gamedev I participated in I felt like that was easily the part I struggled with the most. Definitely something I will need to work on as I flesh out the mechanics.
It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your level design. Is it the initial part, the teaching of mechanics, or is it figuring out how to keep levels new, interesting, and fresh as the game progresses?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I did it I did it I did it!!!

I spent two days worrying that this (having the character stay on top of a moving platform) would be really hard, after looking at a tutorial that was rather unnecessarily convoluted. After briefly taking a look at an entirely different tutorial, however, I realized the solution was as simple as adding n, where n equals the platform's speed (with "speed" measured in pixels per second) to the player's x and y values, where necessary. This is so shockingly simple and lightweight that I'd be frustrated about spending so long deliberating over the matter if I wasn't so happy that it just works!

Other than this, I've also added functional (but extremely bloated) lasers. I'm getting very close to having all the elements I need to make proper levels in this game. My next challenge is figuring out how to call the identities of specific instances in some way or another - I have something I'd like to do where the player can zip into a very certain object and then immediately teleport to another of that same object with the same color.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Progress!

This one took two epiphanies and a bit of work to figure out, but I now have a way to set up two (or more) points that the player can teleport to just by dashing into whichever one. This ended up being more difficult than I expected. At first, I thought it would be as easy as declaring two variables (port#x and port#y) for a specific port number, then calling port1X/port1Y, port2X/port1Y, etc. depending on the port number of the specific object. After about an hour of messing with things, I suddenly realized that this solution wouldn't work because each instance of the object had its own value of port1X, port2X, and so on, rather than referring to the other instance's values. With that in mind, I created a new object that holds onto those values, so the actual, visible objects can refer to them when necessary. It seems rather obvious in retrospect, I suppose (and it's probably blindingly clear to those of you who actually have any sort of experience with this), but ah well. I may later trash the extra object and just store those values with the other global variables.

At this point, all the main, difficult tasks are out of the way. Now I just need to go back through everything and clean up, polish, tweak etc. until I feel comfortable designing proper levels.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

BossRighteous posted:

it uses degrees for Trig functions instead of radians
This is absolutely disgusting, but what's even more disgusting in my opinion is that Game Maker uses radians for trig functions but degrees for declaring what direction something is facing, and there's no way that I can tell to change it

JossiRossi posted:

Also this torrent miiight still be active?
http://sonniss.com/GameAudioGDC.torrent
It's a legit 10GB pack of sounds released by Sonniss.
nicking that, still seems to work

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

It takes some doing, but you get used to the controls after not too long.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sighnoceros posted:

Oh, what a month. What a lovely month.

Big thanks to Ultigonio and dog kisser, they did a hell of a job on the art and sound and provided invaluable feedback on the overall design.

I'm really proud of the sound/music work I did on this one, and it's a fun game, to boot. I encourage everyone to give it a go!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So... Did only 2 people play Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript?

oh no, I played it.

I played it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

TheOrange posted:

Impulse
First off you really did an amazing job with the animation, the GIFs in the thread from earlier didn't convey it as well as they look in game. I think the gameplay is well realized here but it might be a little unbalanced? I was using Bolt/Shotgun the entire game and got to wave 10 without dying, I'm guessing the game is just procedurally generated so I eventually stepped away to try some other games but I had a fun time playing through it. The music reminds me of games from the late 90s to early 2000s in a good way, however I didn't really get a good feel from the sound effects, often I felt like they were part of the music. I also never really looked or kept track of my score and it wasn't obvious when I was gaining or losing multipliers or gaining points, I also never found a use for the grappling hook to be honest. That said this is an overall really well done game!
drat, I had a feeling I should have looked at the multiplier sounds and maybe asked Sigh to adjust them. The problem with me and sound effects is that, even though I love audio in general, music is where my passion lies. I still have stuff that I need to figure out about SFX, especially since this is only my second time doing full SFX work; your feedback is hugely appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

TheOrange posted:

Glad my feedback helped, the sound design was perfectly fine otherwise though and I thought the music was pretty well done, also I'm using a set of speakers that are a bit of balance so that could of affected my own perception a bit too. I was able to tell the 'low health' warning apart pretty easily but I didn't notice a multiplier lost quite as much.
Yeah, the mulitplier loss sound actually had a second pass, but that and some other sounds definitely barged into the frequency range that the music sat in. Sighnoceros did an excellent job adjusting the volumes and making the sounds that I'd created come together as best as they could, but it makes me wish that I could just have some sort of immediate feedback so it'd be easier to experiment and tinker and figure out what works, volume- and frequency-wise. Speaker balance could have also definitely played a part, especially since my system isn't currently putting out a perfectly neutral signal.

I'm glad you liked the music, though! I certainly get lots of inspiration from late 90s/early 2000s video game music (that's when I grew up, after all), and in this case I took my usual style and mixed it with a big helping of downbeat, modern house. I hope most people like it, and if they don't, I hope it manages to do its job of fading into the background and subtly enhancing the experience, otherwise.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 5, 2015

• Locked thread