Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Have an idea for Critical Omission, it's basically a game where your character jumps out of a plane just before it explodes and has to figure out a way to land safely. The omission is that there's no way to land safely. With both puzzle game elements (locate and combine different objects you find from the exploded plane falling with you in different ways to altar your abilities and the way you fall) and arcadey elements (actually getting around to the objects as you try to combine them in midair, avoiding obstacles, navigating to places on the ground where you will be unable to land safely) elements, it will hopefully be enjoyable.

I will admit that this idea was inspired by the person mentioning "a platformer with no ground".

Looking forward to getting to spend a week and a half coming up with progressively better ideas for that one possibility only for it to end up being one of the other two.

If anyone needs a team member or something to do design/programming. I'm a good deal more likely to accomplish something if I'm not alone.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Polo-Rican posted:

"Local Color" is unfair to people who live in Connecticut. I no longer live in CT, but have sympathy for those who do.

edit: this post was intended as a joke, but that category does actually strike me as a bit unfair, because some people will immediately have a near-infinite number of ideas to choose from whereas others will have a MUCH harder time coming up with something clever.

Connecticut has Putnam though. One would think your state containing a town that warps dimensions, is always full of fog, is nearly impossible to escape from, has lots of spooky legends associated with, and has lots of abandoned boarded up buildings with phones ringing in them would be amazing for local color.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Shalinor posted:

Consider the number of gamedev goons that live in Seattle a/o Colorado, and think to yourself "do I really want a solid brick of weed-themed video games."

I would imagine all the Seattle goons would make games based around accidentally burning down cities.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

Modern folklore.

Internet folklore.

SA folklore?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sink!

Honestly, I think Critical Omission is the one most likely to lead to fun and interesting games, but I'd be happy with any of them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Critical Omission: The actual game. Just make an awesome platformer engine that everyone else can use for their games in the future SAGDCs going forward. :v:

That was supposed to be a joke, but actually making a platformer where you start on a featureless plain and "build" the levels / set your character's attributes / place enemies and hook up provided AI scripts to them could be really cool if you could pull it off in a month.

Remember to handle slopes, ladders, moving ground (both moving platforms and treadmill terrain) and one-way platforms (with fall-through rules)!

Speaking of platformers, anyone know of any particularly good non-physics based platformer frameworks? (I'm honestly not a huge fan of physics platformers and they are so much more work to make)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 26, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So long as local traditions count for Local Color, I am officially changing my desire to local colour. I never thought of traditions not tied to folklore (because it seems that's not what it's about) but once I did things just opened right up, and now I really want to make a brass carousel game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay yeah, with the new looser interpretations of Local Color, I am throwing my full (meaningless) weight behind it as the choice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Lowen SoDium posted:

Local color is my least favorite for the contest because it will require explanation in each game before the player knows what the local story is about. This means more exposition and less game play.
None of the ideas I've heard so far have had explanation or been exposition heavy to be honest.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

Actually kinda got something together today for my Skydiving Without A Parachute game. Am torn between making the points system based on either how hard you slam your puny body into the earth or how long you spend not-dead.

As this is basically the first idea I fleshed out before going with something else, here's some suggestions from my planning session:

Make them jump onto a mountain so you get all the fun of "wingsuiting" down the cliff face.
Points are accumulated based on how long you spend not dead, and the amount of points accumulated is based on your distance from the "ground".
Make their plane blow up behind them to justify falling debris in addition to the bird obstacles.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hey someone turn this into a game for their jam I want to play Spider vs. Spider.

http://www.dichotomistic.com/mind_readings_spider%20minds.html

I don't know what you'd admit exactly but I'm pretty sure you could figure it out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This is the game I most want to play right now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I thought I was done and ready to submit, and then Tann had to go and point out that it was poo poo and I could do better so now I'm busy doing better. drat it. It really is such a huge improvement, though.

Sadly I can't share the game here, because it's a game you can only really play once, and I've already spoiled it for enough people.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

birdemic! but at least i've got them hitting one another now. hooray

Gotta shrink that player hitbox though, hah.

Looking forward to see where this goes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

G-Prime posted:

Score points based on target accuracy and lose points from crashing and damaging the bus. The Critical Omission: A safe driver with concern for the life of his passengers.

Bullshit, no lost points for anything and points gained are solely based on speed of delivery. Fire those kids off like a machine gun, at least one of them will get into the house expecting a kid to be dropped off there, MISSION COMPLETE

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ridley posted:

My critical omission is graphics. I'm working on a colossal cave adventure-style game with zero graphical content and I'm pretty excited. Everyone I've spoken to has been intrigued by the concept, so I think it has merit. I have about an hour's worth of sounds recorded, hopefully will have many hours more by the end of the month. This is also my first time using Unity for more than 5 minutes.

Cool! I wanted to do a game like this but decided against it, it's cool we've got a couple submissions that are doing different angles on it.

Are you doing *just* sound, or are you going to be doing some sort of "touch" as well? Something like... a diffused light centered around the point of contact, with different colours used to represent different "textures". Might make things a bit more interesting than just a black screen, and it still couldn't reasonably be called graphics.

JonTerp posted:

Yeah dude, don't kill yourself crunching on a GameJam game.

I have already requested the time off from work so I can spend the entire last week of the jam crunching. Is this... not an expected thing to do?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 16, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd change the flies animation when they've been 'tongued' to a side view, with their backs to the tongue. I think It would read better that they're stuck, as opposed to just walking around freely.

Also that's some gross poo poo man. :stare:

Since the puke chases them away, they obviously ARE walking around freely on the tongue rather than stuck though!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jo posted:

This is a nitpick (and oh god I'm so sorry to say this after you said something nice to me), the light glint on the visor: is that orientation invariant? Assuming the light is consistent, the little ring of light is always on the right side of the visor, no?

It's obviously the character's HUD, not some sort of light glint.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Game Submitted

drat, those "no take backs" warnings made that stressful.

Luckily, in the end, I remembered that I don't care because I made a fun game (and will hopefully be submitting a second one next week) and that's all that matters.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

As I've got to move house, I've decided to submit and forget my worries. Done! Wow that was fun. What a great month.

Feel free to play NoChute here:

http://alf-pogs.itch.io/nochute

Also seconding itch.io as hosting for the game, they made it very simple.

I'm loving this. Watching the meteors kill the birds is very satisfying.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Aaaaaaah there's so little time left aaaaaah

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mido posted:

no one dad should have all that shower. a good easter egg

There's [edit: removed count] more, so keep your eyes peeled. Some are pretty hard to get to!

Also, for anyone else playing Broken, feel free to post any easter eggs you find but try not to reveal the core mechanic here in the thread for a few days. People seem to enjoy their first exposure to it and I don't want to ruin the surprise.

For anyone who wants to play, it's playable online at https://games.glyphgryph.com/Broken/

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 2, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I guess I'll do my own reviews, too, get in on the action.

Catch a Fish
I don't know what I expected from this game. A "keep the ball in the air game while collecting coins" definitely wasn't it though. Luckily for myself and the game, I actually love those games, and this was actually a decent implementation. The fishing part was boring but that's because fishing is boring. A basic game, but well done, short, and enjoyable, but would not play more than once, but would play again if more content was added. 7/10

Cinder
Great concept. Some puzzles do not seem to work on the desktop, but considering the things the author said about "ONLY PLAY ON MOBILE" that seems fair. I enjoyed what I was able to play, and the game made me smile. Would play again on mobile if I had any idea how to download it to mobile, but I don't, because I am a lovely programmer who is afraid of advanced phone technology. I am not sure what the critical omission was though. It was fun and original, but was it actually based on the theme? I could not tell if so. NA/10

Roller Darby
This is an okay game. Reminds me of Happy Wheels. Probably because it is a stripped down version of happy wheels in pretty much every way. Mechanics can be a bit tricky in places since you have no control in the air. I ended up getting stuck in the second level and was unable to figure out where I was supposed to go or what to do. A good try, but I stopped playing on the second level and would not play again. You should have learned the important lesson from Happy Wheels that wheelchairs are more fun when you strap rockets to them. I originally thought the game omission was working legs, but thinking about it, it was really the rockets. 4/10

Ool
I did not play this game, but I like the name. I like saying the name over and over again in my head every time I see it on the page. It reminds me of the Ood from Doctor Who, but better. I would definitely play this game for the first time at some point. 5/10

Omission: A Game of the Gaps
This was my own game. I did not enjoy playing it. I have seen all these puzzles before. I got the secret ending. I tried to get my wife to play for a second opinion but she made me give her all the answers and then promptly declared that the game was terrible. I never want to play this game again. 2/10

Sub-Optimal
An interesting concept! I liked the art, and the act of throwing crew members into the tubes to fire at enemy subs is quite enjoyable at first. Unfortunately, I did not really feel like I was in control of the action - I do not quite understand what the powerups do, or why I had to fiddle about with crew to start with, and while a lot of work obviously went into this I ended up only finishing the first sequence of levels before getting bored and feeling I had seen everything the game had to offer. Maybe this not true, but I am not particularly interested in playing again. The game was good enough to make me feel bad about that. I think it would have been much approved by adding visual indicators to objects on the actual screen instead of having to mouse over everything in the middle of the action to try to figure out what to do. Also, was torpedo loading supposed to be instant? I don't know. I will give it the maximum possible score for a game I got bored of and did not and do not plan to finish. 6/10

Zero Grab Kitty
This game is adorable and the animations and music are great. I enjoyed grabbing cats, until I did not. I stopped playing one cat short of the first world. I decided to end my session when I got crushed by a crusher but it only crushed my legs and left me embedded in a wall, which I thought was a high note to go out on. I will probably return to this game and finish it at some point - I have a feeling it is a game best enjoyed in bits and pieces. Art, music, and gameplay all combine to make this game an enjoyable experience, and the levels visually depicting how you should be traversing them if you actually knew how to walk and not fly was pretty cool in regards to theme adherence. 8/10

No Chute
I enjoyed this game. Not just because it was the game I thought I was going to build before the competition actually got underway, but just because it is a simple, fun game, with good graphics, where you get to watch birds struck by meteors. The witch is the worst villain in the game jam so far and I hate her with every ounce of my being, but I also respect her trickiness. I got far enough that the screen was full of meteors and birds and witch. I did not finish this game but I am not actually sure if it's possible. I will probably go back and try again anyway, like the last three times. I am making it further each time, and someday it is my hope that I will die by hitting the ground instead of hitting a bird. 8/10

AwfulBus
I did not play this game, but I did make my brother play this game and watched him. It seemed alright. We tried to feed children to the devil but he would not take them. This was a great disappointment and a big missed opportunity, I feel. We were not able to pull sweet jumps with the bus. The game feels unfinished, even though technically I suppose all the bits are there I guess. It was very enjoyable to watch him miss a drop off and accidentally reduce a building to rubble with the body of a child. I would have liked to have seen more children going flying through the air when you crash, really give doing so some impact. I feel like the demo scenes would have actually been a bit more fun. 5/10

An Video Game
This was an awesome game. This critical omission was joked about, but I did not think it would be attempted, or if it was, that it would be pulled off anywhere near. The audio quality and writing was great. I ended up replaying this game three times just to catch all the variations. I listened to the entire phone conversation. Being able to skip dialogue on replays by pressing Enter was very nice. This is probably my favorite game of the jam so far. I was actually looking forward to the end and seeing what was going to happen, and it disappointed in all the right ways. I have no criticisms of this game. 9.5/10

Echo
I thought this was a good and fun game. I played the prerelease versions and thought so then as well, and it has only gotten better. Was very challenging. Did not beat this time around but I did beat all the previous versions I was shown and I might yet go back and do so. The art was good, including the backgrounds, and I stole one of the things to use in my own game with permission, which I guess makes it less stealing and more borrowing with intention of ever returning the thing borrowed. The ceiling vines are particularly challenging, and also annoying. Bees require me to be patient, which I am not. Overall a very good effort. 8/10

Impulse
I love the title and animation for this game in the game list. Every time I saw it I wanted to play it so bad. Unforrtunately, the game did not feel as fun for me as the animation promised, I am not sure why. I felt I had seen all of the game by the end of the first level, but I played two or three more levels before deciding that yes, I had seen all of the game by the end of the first level. I think part of it is that the goal of destroying the fixed spawners is actually not all that enjoyable. I had the most fun when I was moving fast and trying to get around things while killing them, but that did not feel like a large part of the game. The critical omission came through loud and clear, and it was very interesting to play a Druuge in a game that was not UQM. Unfortunately, I did not actually like this game as much as I wanted to. I might give it another go at some point. 6.5/10

All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert
Very challenging, visually disturbing and sometimes jarring. I got all the deaths on my way to ultimate victory. Very easy to get into a failure spiral, but I feel like failure is actually intended considering how many ways there are to manage it. I replayed this many times and eventually obtained victory, and still want to play it more. The voice acting was surprisingly good, the visuals fit very well (except the grandma picture at the end which I thought wasn't that great). I want more of this game. 9/10

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

Thanks for the review. I'm aware of most of the problem spots (turns out designing levels is not my favorite thing to do), but just for clarification, where did you get stuck? Was it the trampoline bit?

Correct.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

MSPain posted:

You can just visit the link on the game page on your phone's browser. It's a browser game, no download required.

I tried this, it made my phone hard reset.

... I do not have a good phone. Maybe I'll borrow someone else's long enough for a proper review.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Afal posted:

Thanks for playing! You could skip the phone call by clicking the end call button. The "Enter to skip" was something I could put there to test the game. I was going to take it out before shipping but thought that it might be a nice little thing for people to find themselves.

I accidentally did this the first time after getting bored 5 seconds into the call, which is why I replayed the game to begin with - so I could listen to the whole thing! Leaving the Enter to skip thing in was a very good thing, I would not have enjoyed the game as much and would not have replayed it even once to see the other things if it wasn't in there.

Now, on to Round 2!

Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript
This is an interesting concept for a game, and I felt like I knew what it was going for, but it didn't quite do it for me. You don't know what people are saying, but the jumps effectively would have rendered it meaningless anyway. But I never really felt particularly confused or disoriented either. I feel like one of the best parts, the "Rent a Truck" bit, is obviously taken from somewhere else so I can't really credit it to the game. The minigames were alright, although the fruit collecting game having what looks like a bottomless pit be solid ground was weird in a bad way. I did play through it twice, but I feel like there's more to see but I'm just no really interested in seeing it. If the buildup to the surreal stuff had been a bit more drawn out I think I would have enjoyed things more. 6.5/10

PZZL
I managed to crash the game in the first 5 second of playing by accidentally hitting Continue. Whoops! I was a bit confused at first and restarted the game a second time come Level 2 thinking I missed something - when the solution to the first level was a different color, I figured out what was going on. Which meant I pretty much blasted through the rest of the tower with no frustration at all. So I really didn't get frustrated with the difficulty of the game's puzzles at all, in the end! I thought it was a pretty good joke, but it's not really much of a game. It looked good, sounded good, and I don't regret playing it. I wanted to play it again so I could ask for all the hints and see what they were, but it did not let me. This game contained no adorable animals at all. 7/10

Fraudmode
Is the joke that team Just A Dog did not actually make a game? That is certainly a pretty critical omission! If there was in fact supposed to be a game associated with this entry, it was not on the other side of Download link. 1/10

Sys Admin Simulator
The name and description of this game made me very depressed, and I almost graded it a 1/10 without playing it. I am glad I played it though because it deserved at least a 2/10. I think this game did a great job of capturing the terrible life of a system admin where you do the same stupid tasks over and over again until you give up banging your head against the wall and do it wrong but in a way that actually works just so you get out the door. By why I mean that I gave it two goes and then pissed in the bucket. And then promptly got fired for something completely asinine an unrelated to how well I did at my job. The graphics were good. I would have rated it one half point more highly but the first time I pissed in the bucket didn't actually work and I don't know why. Thankfully my stubborn commitment to half-assing things won out in the end. This game spoke to me on a deep and meaningful level, but I think it could have said the same thing more times in different ways - I would have appreciated more interactive objects and more frustratingly stupid mini-games. If those things were added, I would play again. 6/10

Dum
Did not contain link to game. Instead playing, I tried my best to imagine what the game was like based on the image and the description. My imagination is pretty good, so the result was surprisingly entertaining, but could honestly have used a lot more polish and a better sound track. 5.5/10.

Flappy Bird Clone
That was not actually the name of this game but I don't care. This is Flappy Bird if Flappy Bird was less original and more poorly implemented. I died even when I did not hit objects, the controls were not responsive, and the background flickers. I feel like less of a human being for having played this game. Still, it is a game, and thus it deserves recognition of this fact. 0.5/10

VectoRocket
gently caress. Yes. This game has been the most tense and exciting game I have played so far this game. The gameplay is fast paced and challenging, but you get to jump right back in when you fail. I got to go super fast and do an awesome move and it blew up a ship that blew up ANOTHER ship allowing me to beat a level I did not think I could beat. My heart is literally racing right now, and it is exciting every time I blow up. The music is perfect, putting me immediately into the right mood, and the graphics are simple looking at a glance, but they work incredibly well and the motion lines are actually really cool and the whole thing, sound and graphics and gameplay, just feels incredibly cohesive. I have not yet beat the fourth level, but I have a feeling this is a game I'm actually going to be going back to over and over again for the rest of this week. I can find no flaws with this game. 10/10

Coinless
What... what is going on? Is this breakout? I love breakout, but am I... not playing the game? Oh, I can change the level. Goddamn that is going so fast. Why is the 'x' not working. Okay, I'll read the manual. Ah, that makes sense... well, I mean, it doesn't make sense, exactly, but I understand. That things are going way to fast for me to actually consider even being remotely able to control things via nudges though and I can only ever barely make out the ball and paddle and they seem to be everywhere at once. 2/10

Okay, that's about all I can handle for now while I wait for Team Punch Fight's game to download. Expect another batch of these later tonight.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Round 3!

Missing Teeth
You are a parkour wizard which sounds like a great premise for a game and honestly it still could be, but the actual implementation left a lot to be desired. The off-center character, janky and unresponsive controls, tutorials that go away before you have the chance to read them, blue bars that mysteriously run out, the physics where you sometimes grab a box and sometimes don't grab a box and sometimes slowly float up the side of the box for no discernable reason, and the criminal lack of a secret easter egg behind the crane building all conspired to make this game a lot less enjoyable than it clearly had the potential to be. It definitely felt like am ambitious game cut down by the realities of a short development time. I stopped playing after I felt off the crane just before getting to the boat. I can appreciate what was attempted here and I would play again if it was finished, but for now it just isn't very fun. 5/10

Slide, Crash, Bounce
A fun enough little game. Destruction Mode is definitely the way to play. It adhered well to the theme, and provided me with entertainment. I liked that there were several different cars to drive, but would have preferred more places to drive them. The characters were meaningless but kind of fun to pick from, adding a bit of much needed personality. The graphics are cute and suit the game well, but it only held my attention for a handful of matches. There were some great opportunities for voice commentary of some sort to liven things up and push this game over the line, but what we have is still pretty good. 7.5/10

HYPERKOZMO
COMBOS COMBOS
COMBOS COMBOS
COMBOS COMBOS
Max score was a bit over 35k which I imagine isn't very good, but I had a fun time getting it. The visuals and music are trippy, the little talk dude if awesome, and the mechanics are pretty drat fun. I have a quibble here or there with the actual gameplay, but it was a worthwhile experience and I played multiple games. I might play again later, I'm not sure yet. Maybe I didn't get far enough but it seems like it would get "samey" really quickly, and it is pretty difficult to not die while trying to clean up the stragglers. I found it annoying that the punishment for not getting combos is something that makes you want to rush to get a combo which makes you even less likely to get combos because you don't have time to line up a shot! I still enjoyed playing it, but I keep going back and forth on the score to give it. 8/10

Critical Admission
Fun, fun game. Accumulating body parts, trying to keep things organized (which I realized was important way way too late), sticking random stuff in patients just to get it out of the way, balancing who is important and who isn't trying to make sure you have a steady supply of the most valuable body parts ready to go (which was elbows for me, oddly enough, always short on elbows so I gotta be an elbow thief). The graphics worked, the intercom voiceovers were fun, the actual gameplay was enjoyable, and I'm probably gonna play this again when I'm done judging to see just how far I can get. In fact, I would have played it more now, except that it crashed and caused me to lose all my progress. 9/10

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 3, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

:smith:

So is there any way to win Lifealert or is granny doomed? In particular I cant do the water game because I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing. Do I just have to get my tongue to water? Do I want to avoid the flies and stuff? What's the thing I'm doing when the button goes down?

I beat it. You get more water the longer your tongue stays in the water and the higher your multiplier gets. The strategy for success is pretty basic: Wait for the wasp to go by, immediately dive your tongue into the water and hold it there until about 20-23x times (you can go further but you risk eating flies when trying to evade the wasp as he returns). Whenever you get flies on your tongue, shake-shake-shake them off. Slower flies take three shakes, faster flies only take one. You can optimize play a bit by intentionally scooping up several flies at once and then shaking, since every shake uses up a bit of hunger.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What's that? It's time for more reviews? Alright, let's go! Apparently I still have over a dozen games left to play, so I don't think this will be my last post either. First up we have...

Deliverer
I beat this game, and it looked nice enough, but I did not particularly enjoy it. The physics were weird - I constantly got stuck on walls, I couldn't jump very high sometimes and other times I'd go flying, my body parts would roll behind scenery and invisible block my progress and I'd seemingly die from nothing at all more than once, and combined with the fact that killing yourself seemed to be the only way to progress past most of the challenges I guess I didn't really feel like I was in control of what was happening. Despite that, I did make it to the end of the single level and it clearly had some love put it into it. I liked that an ambitiously whimsical art style was chosen, but I just wasn't feeling it, and I'm not really sure dying to progress is a critical omission? I would not play it again. 5/10

TRUCKSIMUL8OR
A fun little Octo game with a tried and true mechanic. The customization was a nice touch. Very basic for obvious reasons, but it works for what it is. I thought it was a dick move that the cars from behind are faster and have to travel shorter to kill you, and I liked that about the game. This did seem a bit lacking in ambition for a month-long jam, but it was also actually fun, so it gets a passing score. 6.5/10

Fishin Hole
I did not like this game. I do not like fishing. I did not like this fishing. I did not like my fishing companion. I did not like that my attempts to hook the house were still met with the splash of water. I have a feeling this game wanted me to not like fishing and I disliked that too. I did not manage to actually catch a fish but I am sure it would have been a tiny fish if I had. 2/10

Dark Matter
This felt look it could have been a relaxing atmospheric game, but there was no music and the sound was jarring and not very good and the graphics of the main ship did not seem to match the aesthetic. It took me a little while to figure out what was actually going on and what the point was. It felt very unfinished, but also like something I would have gotten bored with fairly quickly even if it was. It's just a game where you go from the bottom to the top in dim light and if you stand in an invisible red square long enough you go back to the bottom. Better than fishing. 3/10

GoFish
I was already soured on fish coming into this game, so it was actually a pleasant surprise when it turned out to be rather enjoyable. I got to flop around. The graphics were actually very good, aside from the ugly buttons, and the sound worked well. Having single player mode was a serious mistake, though. I played that first because I am only one person but it was far more fun to play "2 player" mode as one person. Instead of 1-player and 2-player it should have been One Fish mode and Two Fish mode to encourage people to play with the superior two fish option (especially since you already have a red fish and a blue fish), or one fish mode should have been just left out completely. If you wanted a two player mode, make them each control two fish and you would have had a much more fun game. I played through two levels before getting a bit bored but I might actually go back and play this one again and try to get some of the trophies.

I lied, and went back to the game while writing that. 8.5/10

Tristram
I am not in the mood for an idle game today. I am torn between thinking the single player omitted thing was really dumb or kind of clever. I played for like 15 seconds. NA/10

S.I.G.H.O.
404, game not found! The other link worked, but the itch link should probably be removed. I beat this game but I am pretty sure I played it wrong and that I wasn't supposed to just run through every level. The opening sequence also seemed like it was missing an image or two since it jumps from one scene on a street to the image of a whole. I got the point, but it seems like something more should have been there. At first I kind of liked the concept, playing as someone so obsessed with their phone they are primarily trying to avoid even polite human contact at all costs. Holding right click to hold the phone out of the way got a little bit annoying after a while. Left click didn't seem to actually do anything? I could not left click people or cats. So I just ran through everything and that worked pretty well. The chase levels seemed weird thematically and mechanically didn't add much since I was running through every level being chased anyway. The ending was a bit odd. I had fun with it and played through the whole thing, but I would not play it again. I am not sure what the omission was supposed to be. 6.5/10

Runaway Road Roller
I played this game while I was waiting for S.I.G.H.O. to download after finding a working link. This game was my suggestion, so it gets a free point. It was okay. The level went on a bit too long for the amount of variety it offered. The spawn placements seemed geared specifically to gently caress you over. Crushing all those poor innocent civilians was sad. I got both possible endings. There wasn't really any response to or feedback to hitting things - it had no weight to it. But I did apparently enjoy it enough to play it a second time and actually win. 4/10

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Also if your video game contains a dong of any kind, let me know for the bounty. I briefly played the robot platformer one with the dad frozen in the tub but I haven't had enough chance to explore it yet!

Unfortunately, this is all the dong the game has to offer, though it does have other things in other tubs in other secret areas.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Giggs posted:

The dropbox link had gibberish attached to the end of the URL for some reason so that's fixed.

The intro cutscene should show the hole from the outside with the grocery bag and its contents splayed on the ground implying the person fell in. I don't know if it skipped an image (or how it could even do that honestly) or if it was just really poorly communicated (probably the latter). You can hit guards if you're close enough and pick up cats if you're close enough. This wasn't indicated well since when I tried to make the cursor change when it was possible to hit/grab I got stupid bugs that I couldn't sort out in time.

Oh man, you can toggle the phone away. That's pretty funny. I didn't put it in the game very clearly but it's on the awfuljams game page and the brand name of the phone is "T2Toggle" but clearly that wasn't a great solution.
I saw that and tried pressing tab, but now I realize it was probably just 't' wasn't it? And let me guess - picking stuff up and knocking out guards don't work when you've still got the phone in front of you? That would explain that quite well!

I did see that image so I think it was just poorly implemented, it felt like there should have been another scene, like a side view where he's walking with the phone and then just drops out of screen. Also it turns out the game wasn't as cool as I thought it was because it wasn't even supposed to have the gimmick of your character being unable to take his eyes off his phone, which I thought was the best thing about the game (I just wished I didn't have to actually hold a button to move it around).

I don't know if I should give you more points or take points away for accidentally making a game I liked more than the game you intended to make.

also, it was the itch link that didn't work, the dropbox one was fine.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Forer posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is cool. Someone needs a gamejam to be forced to follow a tutorial to completion or make a direct rip of a game sure, w/e, they're not going to get a high score in the judging. Do we need to give excuses for people to :bandwagon: when the entire point of this is to be a resource for learning an a motivational effort to complete a game, literally no matter how lovely it is?

Submitting someone else's game is not making a game, and from all appearances that is what this person did though? It seems it was someone else's graphics, someone else's code, and someone else's design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Is the community choice award only going to be from the "top" games then?

There's really only one I'm surprised to see on that list (very surprised, honestly), and several I'm sad didn't make it. There were a lot of good games this year. I'm really surprised one of my top three didn't make it, though! No An Video Game? My other two top three made it (VectoRocket and Life Alert), but I thought An Video Game was one the best games of the year and the clear winner in the Best Narrative category. It's crazy to see it not even in the running.

Neither of my games made it up, but I had a fun time this year and learned a lot, and next time around I'm gonna kick rear end and take names, mark my word. I will be in the finals.

I do wonder if the way things were judged wasn't particularly well-suited to the way things will be won. Each judge can only push two forward, but there are 5 different categories a game can win in. That seems like good odds on needing to toss a potential winner and deciding which two categories are most important.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 9, 2015

• Locked thread