Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Harold Krell posted:

Is the Wall of Shame even a real thing? I've never seen it before.

When we're all dust, the wall will stand, emblazoned with the names of those who have failed this endeavor. Creatures of all kinds will instinctively shy away from it. It stands in the darkness, a lesson to sophonts through all the ages, for ever and ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Would really like to see Critical Omission as the topic. It's the most open ended with multiple meanings and even a double entendre if you play with the letters a tiny bit. :)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Local Color only works for people that live in interesting areas(i.e. big or historical cities). It's pretty loving boring where I live and nothing especially exciting ever happened.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I think more interesting gameplay could come out of Critical Omission than Local Color. Local Color seems more inspiring towards the setting/story/ambiance which seems like it would lead to more basic and repetitive gameplay we've seen before.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, there's always some nuts stuff that comes out of left field even for supposedly "bad" themes.

I'm not using definitives so I'm not "so sure" but hey, thanks for responding to all my posts as if I am.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ClownSyndrome posted:

If I lived in Chicago I'd make a game based on the REAL Al Capone's vault

It would just have plastic spiders and candy in it, wouldn't it? :cheeky:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

There's no 2-way interaction between the maker and the judges either, except whatever they write or put into the game. If they preface it with, "I left out good art/controls/whatever because that's my omission", I'm pretty sure the judges are gonna see right through that poo poo.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 23, 2015

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The rule of thumb has always been: If it feels like it's unfair or cheating, it probably is, otherwise anything goes. You've always been able to use old code and content you've previously made, you're just not supposed to be working on new stuff related to the topic during the (half-)month.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

The point of the game jam is that all contestants should have exactly a month to work, and everyone should start at the same level, with only their wits and their plans. Building large, general purpose frameworks in advance to save yourself work could be seen as gaining an unfair advantage- open sourcing such tools is, as I said, good form, because it is one way to avoid creating that unfair advantage. We can't strictly enforce any of the rules, so it is up to contestants to behave ethically.

This is your opinion and a political choice, unless you guys have changed the rules of SAGDC this year to be more like some of the more traditional game jams(which would be a shame).

edit: Reviewing the rules again this year, I see you have: This sucks.

edit: To clarify what sucks: It sucks that it has now been codified into the rules that you're an rear end in a top hat if you don't open source your previously written code. Homebrew engines have never been subject to this in the past and the rules never made open sourcing anything practically a requirement. As a rule, I don't like anyone forcing anyone else to open source anything, it goes against what I understand is the spirit of open source itself. gently caress GNU too.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 26, 2015

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Thanks for the clarification Jon. :)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

This competition would have a Critical Omission if 'Local Color' or 'Games for Grandma' was selected for the topic. Please don't make this mistake, let's work on some intentional ones.

:q:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

JonTerp posted:

Not in my corner of the world bucko. You've got 4 1/2 hours to go.

Why does the website say like 1 day and 7 hours? :P

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I thought it might be funny to try to take all these Unity asset store things I've purchased on sale, slam it all together and then say the omission is "originality". :D

Seriously though, I know it is a bit late but if an artist with an idea needs a programmer, I'd be willing to work on something. Unity or GameMaker(though it's still new to me, I've been programming a long time and picking it up lately) would be ideal. Otherwise, I guess I'll just see what happens if something really grabs me, idea wise.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

A large portion of my games art is likely going to come from free assets and public domain stuff. I am not going to let my lack of programming ability hold me back, I sure as hell am not going to let my lack of artistic skills hold me back either!

Just so it's clear: I wasn't intending to imply that using pre-made assets makes a game unoriginal and I'm apologize if you or anyone else interpreted it that way.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Temper Trudeau posted:

Day 2. Several tutorials done. Still not sure how I move assets from blender to unity.

This one helped me a lot: http://zakjr.com/blog/blender-to-unity-workflow-part-1/

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

"Critical O Mission" is something I've been pondering for a bit now. The one I had about the Challenger explosion might be a little distasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

psivamp posted:

As a regular user of subversion, git confuses the bejeezus out of me.

"So you have a local repository that is not the actual code your working that you commit to and then you merge your local repo with the master?"

I feel like git is probably very good for solving the problems it was built to solve, but that svn is easier and superior until you get to a scope or whatever that requires git.

You're so, so wrong it's painful. Your local repo can be your actual code, you don't have to have a remote or push or merge code anywhere else. It's just how you or your organization, decides how to, well, organize it.

SVN offers nothing over git these days and you're just holding yourself back using it. Especially if you're not working with anyone else and don't have that built up organizational knowledge/infrastructure.

edit: Hell, if you(or anyone) wanted to pair up some evening on Skype, I'd be happy to run you through an introduction.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 15, 2015

• Locked thread