Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Welp, looks like Team Not Actually a Team needs to crank out another game! It's called Team Not Actually a Team because it's just me. So yeah count my solo rear end in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KiddieGrinder posted:

We should have a "WANTED:" section for teams who might need particular talents. Otherwise people might not join a team because they don't think they're needed, or something like that.

Basically I'm interested, but I'm just a (bad) artist, so I'm not sure where I'd fit in, or what projects I'd be interested in.

This is a perfect opportunity to become a bad programmer too! The only requirement is "make a game." Nobody said it had to be good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

As a judge this year and knowing the other judges pretty well, I guarantee that you won't be ridiculed for your entry beyond a small ribbing during the Gong Show at the end. All effort is appreciated and SAGDC is all about getting people out of their shell and submitting something.

My attitude toward these things is that if the answer is "did I learn something?" my game was a success no matter how bad it was. My submission last year (The Game Knight) was absolutely terrible in so many ways but I learned an absolute poo poo load along the way. I went from "I have never programmed an RPG" to "I have an RPG that I programmed that doesn't crash" along the way. The game was absolute poo poo but it taught me many things.

So yeah, to people that are on the fence, go for it if you have the time. Just take the plunge. If you learn something or have some fun along the way you've succeeded. Game jams aren't really about making the next Skyrim.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

It was too difficult but otherwise not bad at all!!

The issues with it were that I made some fundamental design errors that it just got too late into the cycle to fix. The difficulty was one of them; I never did the math and most of the testing was fudging the numbers to make myself invincible. The biggest issue was that it was too easy to die a lot in the earliest part of the game. Some of the amateur hour things I put in it to make it look like some public access nonsense turned out to be just plain bad instead of endearing bad. There also weren't exactly special abilities and whatever. Fortunately the people that soldiered on and actually played it generally found it hilarious and like I said before I went from "I do not know how to program an RPG" to "here is an RPG I programmed!" so I count it as a win. I'm actually kind of toying with the idea of rewriting it and making an actual game out of it on account of some positive feedback I've gotten, especially about the humor.

The other thing is that looking at all the things I did wrong gives me a list of stuff to not do next time. You have to walk before you run and you have to make bad games before you can make good ones. So seriously people, throw your hat on the pile and dive in. If you have zero skills the only way you can go is up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I'm guessing if that theme gets picked, at least half a dozen games will be 2d side scrollers with no jumping.

It worked for Bionic Commando.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deki posted:

I was kind of thinking of a platformer where you have no legs and have to crawl along surfaces and up blocks, but I can't think of a way to make it fun.

Oddly enough a goon did exactly that for a game jam.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nagnazul/you-have-no-legs

Or at least I'm pretty sure this was a game jam entry. If memory serves it landed the dude a job.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So who is going to be the one to just put up a blank screen and say "I left out the game?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

But I do that every year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Someone's always looking for an excuse to make a Zybourne entry for SAGDC.

Imagine four games on the edge of a cliff. All of them suck. That's how games work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Temper Trudeau posted:

I want to be in on this so bad. But I can't code, only have Blender and Unity 4.6 (and I still dont know how to move assets from one to the other, or compile/package it into a browser game) and no good sound equipment atm.

So for everyone involved I hope you guys have a great time making games, so I can have a great time playing them.

Blender and Unity is the perfect setup to graphics. Export the models and then just dump them in the resources folder of your project somewhere. Hell you could do crappy pixel art and use Unity for 2D. You can pilfer all sorts of public domain sounds from the internet. It's also a perfect opportunity to start learning to code. The only requirement is "make a game." A bad game that barely functions is still a game and if you end the month knowing more than you did when the month started you've been successful.

Seriously, if you had fun, learned something, or both you won.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BossRighteous posted:

Is this really about winning, or is it about jamming most triumphantly?

It's mostly about participating, really.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
When they said "don't make a platformer where you can't jump" all I thought was "what about a platformer where you could only move by jumping?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hortism posted:

Was hoping for Gran Jam but this one will do.

Was thinking about doing something with no player character but really still bouncing ideas around in my head.

Well nobody said you couldn't do something grandma-related...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
But what if like, the game was inside of us all along?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

psivamp posted:

- Non-random rogue-like, this one I have literally no idea how that would make sense, but a malevolent RNG is the defining characteristic of a good rogue-like to me

Instead of the numbers being random the game tries to figure out what the worst possible option is and dick over the player. Oh hey, you picked a wizard? You get nothing but heavy armor and no books or scrolls, ever. You can only critically hit if you have a 100% chance to. That sort of thing. It would be horribly not fun to play though but might make a neat experiment to see how it plays.

Nothing is ever random the game just hates you, in short.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

psivamp posted:

Brilliant, sir.

Although, a refined version would neat to bait you along. Your wizard finds spellbooks occasionally, but they're only for useless crap like Fairie Fire or impossible spells like Wish that would kill the PC if he tried to cast them.

So then the only question is, of course, how much of this can you pull off in slightly less than a month?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Guess who's back!

I promise the game will be less painful to play this time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So I blew more than one day trying to figure out a faster way to create and draw maps in the game. Then realized that doing it manually or just making a single big image would actually have taken less time then what I was doing given the simplicity of the game I'm making. Of course I also figured out fun ways to stack sprites on top of one another, keep them together, and turn them on and off as needed to have things like stuff that draws over other stuff and extra decorations and features like carpet stains and stuff. Rather than just making a single new tile I can layer stuff now! Amazing!

I LEARNED THINGS! X is already successful!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Like a complete dumbass I worked on my original idea (another Game Knight RPG) for two weeks but just flat out didn't write enough jokes to make anything I felt good enough about handing in. Maybe I'll make a Game Knight game later and sink more time into it. The other side of the story was that I snagged that Humble Bundle and started playing with the toys. I am now in love with Sprite Lamp. So I came up with a new idea that I'm going to lack enough time to flesh out properly but whatever. Maybe I'll work on it more after the jam.

It starts with SHMUP concepts but the main critical omission is ambient light. While your typical SHMUP just lights everything this one exists in a world where that went wrong. Among other things. Short of it is, the game is extremely dark and making light suddenly became kind of hard. What few lights that exist are limited in what they can see. The other critical omission is death. You can't "die" or lose the game really but colliding with the wrong stuff makes your lights dimmer. When they go out they turn back on but you find yourself suddenly wherever you started. I figured it was a cool idea and gives me an excuse to fiddle with Sprite Lamp and learn new poo poo. So long as I learned something it's a win!

It might end up not being more than "fly around and dodge the dark squares you can't always see" but gently caress it, it'll teach me some things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So just so I know what's what...what do you mean by "available for play on the public page?" I was figuring on just throwing it on Newgrounds or something but does it need to be on the dev page too? I figure a .zip would need to be submitted but I just want to know what all builds I have to slap together where I should put them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well, just a few last minute bits to add and my game will be done. It isn't nearly as good or as polished as I'd have liked but I did abandon one project and start another beyond half way. Among the things I learned "absolutely never do that" was one of them.

However, I'd say this was a success for a lot of reasons. The game doesn't crash. It functions properly and I think I have all the bugs out and dealt with. That's a victory in and of itself. Aside from that I learned how to use Sprite Lamp, normal maps, and 2D lighting in Unity. I got some very cool effects out of it and came up with some neat little mechanical concepts I may or may not work on further in the future. I'm also learning about scope. I keep coming up with too huge ideas that I have to scale down. In this case I also had some other stuff coming up and had to move. My month of game making is also cut short because my girlfriend is going to be over a lot because she's going to be away for a few weeks starting very soon. So it's time to hand in what I have and move on to other projects.

I like the idea of a game that is very dark and everything centers around the lights. The biggest snag was that I was having trouble coming up with good ideas for that that made a game fun. This one strikes me as mediocre at best but then it's also simple and short due to time issues. I feel like there's promise to the idea but I'm also finding that this isn't really the kind of game I want to be making.

It also occurs that I learned a lot more about Unity's new GUI stuff which is very useful. Also learned more about collisions. Yay. Overall I'd chalk this up as a success given how much I expanded my knowledge of Unity.

Or alternately I'll leave this post half written but open and wrap up all that crap while I publish it. It's currently up on Newgrounds. I'll punch Submit after I see if anybody finds any new bugs. I'm pleased with the experience and feel like I could do more with this as a concept.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/661249

Things that I wanted to add but just didn't have the time was a screen between levels where you could buy upgrades based on how much stuff you grabbed along the way. I also wanted to add a light turret that pointed toward the mouse but stick with a pair of stationary turrets. I was debating adding things to blow up barriers or dark matter but left it out in the end. Everything just being an obstacle made more sense. The other thing I wanted was horizontal shovers instead of all vertical ones.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 27, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Takanago posted:

Hey, remember this bounty for Best Game Made In Two Weeks Or Less? Before I can start judging for it, I need to know which games fall into this category. I don't know what any of your dev processes were like, so I need you to tell me yourself. Just PM me or tell me in the thread or whatever.

Pretty sure I started Dark Matter after the 17th. I was originally going to make another Game Knight game but completely failed at writing good jokes so I scrapped it and moved on. All told I made Dark Matter in about a week and a half, total.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Cheers on what you had to say about Dark Matter. To be honest I basically thought all the same things. I had wanted to have sound and whatnot going on but my biggest issue was that I scrapped my original idea and then lost some other days on the very end of the month because my girlfriend left for three weeks and we wanted to spend time together before she did. Pretty much everything that was said on the gong show was like "yup, I thought the same thing."

I think the idea has possibilities but I just ran out of time. All told I actually worked on the game for a total of...I think 9 days. So what you're seeing in Dark Matter is less a month game jam and more of a 9 day jam. I was also learning new software and some new other stuff along the way. I wanted to put in music and environmental audio but just flat out didn't have the time.

I had also wanted to do stuff between levels like upgrading your ships and having the game be more responsive to powerups and where your light actually was but, well, once again...time. I kind of think working on it further would be a good idea so I have to ask folks that played it; do you think Dark Matter has enough potential that I should work on it more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Forer posted:

oh riiiiiiiight...

I wondered why burgergame ran 10x the normal speed, and apparently it did that ever since we built it. I remembered update() being just a big while loop and fixedUpdate() being a loop that runs every frame but I couldn't remember what you use fixedupdate for aside from just controls which we didn't have in our game.

Then we compiled it and I assume that optimized it and removed a frame limit for update() and now the game runs way way quicker than we expected and somehow didn't break the game and still makes it playable.

If memory serves you can also give Unity a target frame rate for update(). The editor ignores it but actual builds will try to stay at that frame rate.

• Locked thread