Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
^ ha ha ha

I made an awful game last year and I'm gonna do an awful game this year!

I'm signing up again as team fishbottom! (edit: I had no idea that this was a muppet)

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I just wanted to add my support for the local colour theme, could probably do a lot with that.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Polo-Rican posted:

The new judging system sounds great... I judged last year and having to play *every single game* was a much bigger and more arduous task than you'd imagine.

I'd love for this contest to get a bit meaner. Most game jams are a weekend or less... This one is 30 days but, each year, there are still TONS of submissions that are something like: a single screen with one stolen sprite, no sound, no music, no instruction, and then it crashes. I'm all for brand new devs jumping into stuff like this in order to learn new skills, but people who actually submit stuff like this, forcing judges to install and play, deserve at least a little ridicule, in my humble opinion

If this would happen then I'm out.

just saying.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

SnowblindFatal posted:

Are you afraid of GameDev Challenge ruining your online reputation? :D

I've got no worries there, my online reputation is as low as it gets.

I just don't feel like spending free time on a competition which encourages new people to make games and then ridicules them if they are not successful.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 18, 2015

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
You know, I said I liked local colour, but the more I read and think about it, critical omission sounds even more awesome.

I don't have any real ideas yet hopefully some will come.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, this is kind of where I am, although it's somewhat because my interest in history is low. I have some ideas for Local Color, but, beyond the setting, they're very dull and derivative (hmm, what's happened in California, oh, Bacon & Eggs fire, let's make an ~auto runner~ or some sort of way-too-clicky game that would rely entirely on its presentation!). I guess I'm not very creative when the mechanics don't come first.

This is what I feel as well, local color just lends itself to do a theme on top of a existing type of game, like a platformer with elves.

Critical Omission feels like we need to create something new and experimental, a platformer where you can't control the hero and you need to build the level or something like that.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Critical Emission: You Must poo poo Your Pants.

Critical Omission: Pants

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Open source code debates? It's like 2005 all over again. Quick someone get slashdot on the case. :allears:

This is the result of my phaser testing:

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/

Tarball:

http://xzzy.org/sagdc/sagdc.tgz

Javascript is such a love/hate thing. I wish I could do web browser games in python.

Cool, I'm also going for phaser, not done anything with it yet though.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I hate to point this out now, but there's nothing in the rules that says they can't choose more than one theme.

Critical Omission: Grandma.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
It's been July 1:st for 44 minutes now!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

A work lunch well spent.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I came up with dry-dock u-boat simulator, anyone is welcome to steal it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Ultigonio posted:

I just wanted to have my character inherit the platform's speed....

looks correct to me.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I'm thinking of scrapping my game idea and make something else, I really don't know what though. :/

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

Progress! I've gotten the bus to drive the way I want it to, so now I can start adding stuff like particles and passengers being thrown off on collisions. Let's just add a spawner to the bus on hit...

:stonk:

I see your game is done, I've not even started :(

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Got the basics of the interaction working. HaxeFlixel is really quite nice.

Definitely need to get some art in here soon though as right now it doesn't look like much!

This thing hypnotized me, I realized I spent probably five minutes looking at it, also I'm a giraffe.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

It keeps getting worse!

Can we announce the winner right now or do we have to wait for the end of the month?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Critical Omission: Cheese :colbert:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

ANGRYGREEK posted:

Awesome man. I'm a total beginner myself and wondered, what tool(s) are you using to create your game?
Also, to everyone: Any tips on where or how I can best produce some simple pixel art for my game? I have a nice simulator idea, I guess, but well - no experience in most of the stuff necessary.

Also, every gif here is gold, seriously. Nice work and very inspiring!

Check out http://www.aseprite.org/ for a good pixel editor, not as good as idraw but what can you do.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I mean I'm gonna miss the buss that had a million people spraying out of it in every direction but this is good too.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Starting late, but I'm signing up as one-man Team MilSperg and I'm making a strategy war game where you don't do any of the fighting.

Wow, that's way better than my idea.

I've really been struggling coming up with anything that's both not too much work and also has gameplay, I've been working a lot recently so tomorrow I'll try actually getting started on my game.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I spent most of our kickstarter money.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
After many hours of work.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
Seems I'll also be on the wall of shame, an unplanned travel came in the way, I might get something released but most likely not.

I might finish it anyway for a (non-gamedev) job application but it will probably not be on time.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 27, 2015

• Locked thread