Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
We should have a "WANTED:" section for teams who might need particular talents. Otherwise people might not join a team because they don't think they're needed, or something like that.

Basically I'm interested, but I'm just a (bad) artist, so I'm not sure where I'd fit in, or what projects I'd be interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

JossiRossi posted:

:siren: Something Awful Game Dev Competition X Orphans List :siren:

Great idea, signed up! :D

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Wait, are we voting for the theme, or is it being chosen externally?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Ah right I see. Ok well in that case I'll also show support for Local Color as well.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Fish Noise posted:

The third was Doobie Dogs.

Hotdog Shack Tycoon :allears:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

critical omission is a really easy theme to brainstorm for but seems harder to get beyond the stage of ideas like "a shooter... where you can't shoot lol!"

That was my fear as well, and a lot of the ideas itt (even if they're joke ideas) are pretty similar.

It almost seems like a way to half rear end a game and use 'that's a feature not a bug' as a legit excuse to avoid doing stuff. "Oh my controls are poo poo? That was deliberate, that's my omission. The game crashes every minute? Critical omission. The game is just boring and not fun at all? Just going with the theme. :smug:"

And judging a game where something fundamental is missing would be difficult as well, the criteria doesn't mesh with a game where you have to leave out at least one core feature of gameplay, especially the "best game design" category. Do judges factor in the omission in the game design score, or ignore it? Would we try to make a game that's fun despite being crippled by an omission, or would we try to make an un-fun game on purpose, and the worst game wins, or what?

Lots of issues for me personally, I think Games for Grandma or Local Color seem much better and clear cut. Plus;

vaginal cramps posted:

I feel like Critical Omission could end up with some similar ideas to the "You can't _____" category that was used in the past.

That too.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
edit: nevermind. :ninja:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 4, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I'd change the flies animation when they've been 'tongued' to a side view, with their backs to the tongue. I think It would read better that they're stuck, as opposed to just walking around freely.

Also that's some gross poo poo man. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Arachne posted:

Here's my current progress after a few days of work. :sweatdrop:

I added an interrupt handler today, then accidentally overwrote it with my frame buffer and spent the next couple of hours wondering why my game was crashing. Fun times.

This is the most authentic retro looking screen I've seen in a long time.

LOAD "*",8,1

• Locked thread