Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

What are you people doing with UPlay that it's such a bother? The only time I see it is when I close the game and there's UPlay giving me an ad for the latest Ubisoft game.

Edit: Maybe it's because I use steam which directly launches the game with uplay being in the background.

duz fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

duz posted:

What are you people doing with UPlay that it's such a bother? The only time I see it is when I close the game and there's UPlay giving me an ad for the latest Ubisoft game.

Yeah, Uplay's not nearly the bother it used to be. Just turn it on, launch game, ignore. The real big hassle is/was 2070's always on bullshit which is pretty stable these days and a non-issue.

In short, don't be turned off by UPlay/2070's stupid always online since they're non-issues these days.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Transmetropolitan posted:

(which is a shame because I barely scratched the surface of 2070)

As someone with 1,360 hours played in 2070, I can tell you that there's a whole lot of rabbit hole that you might well be better for not having personally explored. On the other hand, if you really really like the idea of creating dozens of interdependent trade routes in order to feed vital goods into an absurd central population, then have I got a game for you!

Really my major question about 2205 is what actually will there be to do, if seamless global resource shifting is a feature? Like, the only reason ever to maintain a military force at all is in order to protect your shipping from random aggression (which you can buy off indefinitely if you're productive enough), because 75-90% of required goods need to be made outside the city islands and conveyed to them. The only bar to expansion is production of sufficient bricks/tools/etc and then being able to convey them in a timely fashion to new settlements without disrupting the flow of consumer goods. I feel very unsure about the Logistics Pipeline Tycoon aspects of 2205 based on what we've already heard, though I want so much for this not to be an on-launch fiasco like it's probably going to be.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

LonsomeSon posted:

Really my major question about 2205 is what actually will there be to do, if seamless global resource shifting is a feature? Like, the only reason ever to maintain a military force at all is in order to protect your shipping from random aggression (which you can buy off indefinitely if you're productive enough), because 75-90% of required goods need to be made outside the city islands and conveyed to them. The only bar to expansion is production of sufficient bricks/tools/etc and then being able to convey them in a timely fashion to new settlements without disrupting the flow of consumer goods. I feel very unsure about the Logistics Pipeline Tycoon aspects of 2205 based on what we've already heard, though I want so much for this not to be an on-launch fiasco like it's probably going to be.

If they want you to expand onto other maps, I wouldn't find it surprising if they spread important building chains across several maps (meaning maps will be missing resources or certain buildings need to be in arctic zones etc) or make advanced production chains require several maps worth of materials. Building modules and logistic cost management are new mechanics replacing depot influence and transporter efficiency so to me it seems like 2205 is going to about scale and big resource hungry projects. Where it was once islands that were not self-sufficient, it may be entire maps that depend on external trade routes.

If the moon settlement requires incredible amounts of materials to expand and income to sustain, deliveries are initially expensive to send up and at some point your citizens/production will demand moon-produced goods (first two have been stated, the third isn't particularly bold), you'll be carving out maps and building up multiple population centres naturally as a reaction to the bigger scale of 2205. The focus will be on balancing the number of production chains to expand/hit requirements quickly and having the tax and/or commerce base to counteract the spiralling logistic costs of everything.

I think there's a possibility the devs take things too far. Teething problems and online related features are one thing but the Anno games have been too relaxed and laidback to constitute being grindy that I hope it isn't the case with 2205.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I've been following the Steam news feed for Anno 2205 recently and there's a few new images that look quite pretty

Vineyards apparently

Also they have announced some of the DLC that will appear with the (ugh) season pass, that is, tundra and orbital sectors.

I hate how Ubisoft go about things with their games, all these bonuses and bits of stuff to buy, but I love Anno so much I will probably end up buying it all. It is on Steam for £50 in the UK though, which is obscene.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Better wait a month or so for the worst gamebreaking bugs and crashes to be, hopefully, patched out though.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Last I saw it didn't have a release date on Steam in the UK?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

BastardySkull posted:

Last I saw it didn't have a release date on Steam in the UK?

Well when I try to go to the store page on my Steam client or browse, I just get an error message for Anno 2205. It definitely says £49.99 on my wishlist though. The Anno games have always been scuppered by publisher shenanigans though. Remember 1404 and that awful TAGES shite?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

No, but I do remember 1404 not being able to purchase on Steam for the longest time because Ubisoft was lording "The FINAL patch" over Steam and Valve told them "Right, gently caress off then, we're not selling your game anymore until you give us the patch". Also 2070's always-on DRM (which...at least wasn't nearly as bad as anything EA did, especially with Sim City, and had some excuses with online events and ARK storage (that could ahve been saved on YOUR computer, but nooo...))

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm buying it all and playing the first day through a haze of denial I'm sure :negative:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

On the positive side, I'm honestly curious how they'd do an orbital sector. No to mention the fact that a tundra that isn't gray-green in a game is pretty cool. Red-brown scrub brush for the win visual variety!

Edit: And while I probably won't pre-order this game I give even odds that I buy it within a day or two if the early reviews are good (i.e. it's not a buggy POS) to tide me over until FO4.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 19, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm really curious how the Tundra and Orbit areas are going to work though.
If they'll essentially just be mini-expansions with more resources/more infrastructure like how Deep Ocean expanded the sea floor, or if the Tundra ends up just being a reskin of Temperate regions, but with slightly different buildings for food production.

I guess we'll see sometime next year.
Only 15 days until possible denial and Anno, though! :toot:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I read up on the blurb. Tundra sounds like a reskin of temperate, but with fully fleshed out questlines and such and rewards so nothing ground-breaking, but still a (potentially) reasonable add-on. Orbital is you building up/building in a satellite? No loving clue how the mechanics of that work out, but basically you're trying to do your best to get the satellite to be as self-sufficient as possible so that you can recoup your costs as it spits out upgrades and research for you like an SAAT academy on steroids.

Also, from teh pictures on the steam page, underwater zones are still totally in.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Also, from teh pictures on the steam page, underwater zones are still totally in.

?
Are you talking about this image?

Because that's the only one that looks underwater-y, but it's from the moon.

e: It looks like they've updated their site a bit as well.
There's approx 45 different resources, spread out over Temperate, Moon and Arctic. Compared to 2070's 60-65, that seems like a step down, production-chain wise. Although I suppose it's a bit more like playing with 1 faction + Techs. But who knows how they actually are in play, or if the Tundra and Orbit add more of them.

e2:

I really do hope that's just someone mixing up the North Pole and South Pole.
Unless the Techs accidentally flipped the magnetic pole of the planet, or somehow managed to create some mountains there.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 19, 2015

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Is Orbital not that spinning stanford torus? That would be cool.

I wasn't really commenting on the £49.99 price tag, but the Fallout 4 price defaulted at £49.99 at one point too so maybe it's placeholder.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

SubNat posted:

There's approx 45 different resources, spread out over Temperate, Moon and Arctic. Compared to 2070's 60-65, that seems like a step down, production-chain wise. Although I suppose it's a bit more like playing with 1 faction + Techs. But who knows how they actually are in play, or if the Tundra and Orbit add more of them.

Was that after they had finished adding all the Dlc and stuff though? I think the tech addition added a whole bunch of new underwater resources, no doubt the same will be true of this one.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The tech faction originally had just 6 goods, Carbon, Kerosene, Coffee, Functional food, Functional drinks, and High-tech weapons. The DLC more than doubled that.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Was that after they had finished adding all the Dlc and stuff though? I think the tech addition added a whole bunch of new underwater resources, no doubt the same will be true of this one.

Giving it a recount, 64 goods/Resources in the base game, without expansion.
So around 70-75 somewhere, with Deep Ocean?

Of course, the Tech / Eco / Tycoon exclusive items do inflate it a lot though.

After all, just looking at food+food production in the base game:
Fish + Sugar: 2.
Eco: 10.
Tycoon: 9.
Tech: 4.
And Deep Ocean brings the techs up to approx parity there, at around 30 resources dedicated only to feeding the 3 different groups.

So I guess it's not as bad as it sounds. Since that means more resources and production lines aimed at building things, as opposed to setting up multiple sets of production just to feed them all. This happens again with all the luxury items they demand, since those two are the bulk of resources in the game.

There -are- 3 different sets of food through, it doesn't seem like food is shipped between Temperate - Arctic and Moon biomes.

However, food production looks way less involved now, of course I can be completely wrong, since I'm just looking at what resources there are.

Temperate:

Arctic:

Moon:

Looking at them, it looks like there's only Raw food -> Processed food, on both the moon and the arctic, unless you're shipping in higher-grade food from your temperate/tundra cities.

There's an overview of -some- of the buildings on their site as well, Moon+Arctic only have basic+advanced residences, looks like. But there are 4 tiers in temperate regions.

I guess I'll just wait for the game to release to look at it more, I'm sure it'll be more complex than I'm imagining.
E: Extra so since workers/workforces are a resource as well now, which I keep forgetting.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Is that piece of ice on fire? :stare: Also the pages say "here are some of the resources..." so there might be more (or it could be vague marketing language to make us think its more). Also, both the green robot hand and the purple energy canister are present in both the moon and arctic pictures.

Also, yes, I was totally mistaking the moon pic for the water pic. :v:

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Is that piece of ice on fire? :stare:

It's probably methane clathrate:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

New video is up: https://youtu.be/BePzrLWwGbE

This one actually goes into how the game works, pretty interesting. It looks like the actual building mechanics are different for different zones so rather than just resource differences we will actually see intrinsicly diverse building methodologies.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay, that's looking pretty cool. The only real problem I have with replay-ability is that the sectors look entirely hand-made. On the other hand, the RNG sectors of previous games were pretty damned generic and did tend to blend into each other.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

This heavily hints at no random islands which is pretty terrible in my eyes, though the guy above disagrees with me so it might not be the popular opinion.

It looks like one "persistent" world, much like sim city 2013. I wonder if there will be the challenge maps like in previous anno games like Imperator from 1404? I don't understand how that would work with this type of set up.

Overall it looks to me like this anno will be a huge shake up from the previous games. I predict it will be well received by the press and reviled by the long term fans of the series.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Eh its just an extension of the previous games. Instead of sending material from Orient to Occident or from Underwater to Island your sending materials from artic to temperate.

Different zones and building trees as different maps entirly rather than just sharing the same map from what I can tell.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

If all the maps are the same how is there any repeatability? Someone on reddit confirmed that the maps are "hand crafted". Once I've made my cool future city once where is there any incentive to do it again?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

mitochondritom posted:

If all the maps are the same how is there any repeatability? Someone on reddit confirmed that the maps are "hand crafted". Once I've made my cool future city once where is there any incentive to do it again?

The incentive is to buy the season pass and get access to more hand crafted maps!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm honestly not that torn about the lack of randomly generated maps. Yeah it's been a staple since the series started but honestly, most of the islands in each game followed the same general template and apart from being arranged differently, you usually always went with the same general strategy each time you started a new game. Unless you picked some bizarre combination of large map and tiny islands/poor fertility. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out when the game it out, but it's not my primary concern.

Them hawking the DLC before the game even comes out left a bad taste but I guess they gotta convince people to pre-order the Gold edition somehow.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Well, you can always unlock them in different orders. Start on the "easy" maps for your first game, then try starting on the harder ones after that. Some maps may be a bit more difficult when you're not swimming in the money from other maps.

I'm honestly torn. On one hand I'll likely have one or two really fun trips, but then will put the game down for months or years before I can have another fun romp with it if the maps hare hand-crafted instead of just mashing the "new seed" button a few times. On the other hand, as I said the Anno 1404/2070 maps were just a checkerboard of Islands A through G.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I do like the idea of regions with more military conflict stuff going on in them. Sure, the military stuff was extremely clunky in 1404, but I was kind of sad to find it more or less gone in 2070 outside of the story missions except for dealing with annoying raiders if you had them on in non-scenario games.

On the other hand, "more regions unlocked with the season pass" just makes me want to barf because I hate the way most DLC is done and the season pass concept in general, and really wish they would stick with "base game and then full expansion" model instead.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 22, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

They've posted a new feature video: Modular buildings and Crisis zones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3u2SRPNYEU

e: Christ the moment he mentioned that rare resources weren't obtainable normally I imagined the worst, but being able to trade for them/get them from quests/get them from crisis zones ain't too bad.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 27, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah I was honestly quite surprised the words "microtransactions" didn't appear at all after he mentioned that.

Modules look pretty good.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I enjoyed Anno 2070 but I never really felt very good at the game. I want to build pretty cities that look like the screenshots but all my cities end up being ugly and roughly spherical in nature because you have to build them around city centers and poo poo. It never looked like a natural city. I really wish I could be better at that. My cities always looked artificial and ugly. If I try to spread out and be big and pretty I always feel like I run out of room.

I like the bridges, but I wish they were more dynamic and could be built anywhere.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 28, 2015

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Nothing is more relaxing than a beautiful postcard view of your thriving hemp empire. Ubisoft, bring back the hemp! :350:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The pre-load is available through uplay if you pre-ordered (at least the gold edition). Now to find out the release time.....

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It is also apparently available through Steam as well... not sure how many people bothered after they rescinded the open Beta, but it's there if you want.

From some of the (wonderful) posts on the Steam community hub it looks like the game will be unlocked sometime around ~8AM EST on Tuesday.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It is also apparently available through Steam as well... not sure how many people bothered after they rescinded the open Beta, but it's there if you want.

From some of the (wonderful) posts on the Steam community hub it looks like the game will be unlocked sometime around ~8AM EST on Tuesday.

That's a 5AM wakeup time for me, I'll be on. Thanks for the info!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Now Ubi is saying 'before lunch' Paris time, which would be like 3AM my time, which is a teensy weensy bit early. :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

When do they normally drink their lunch in Paris? It could be a few hours difference.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Do any UK goons know of anywhere where you can buy this game for less than 50 quid?

Why the gently caress is a PC strategy game being sold for £49.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

For a Uplay key it's on CDkeys.com for £20 (£19 with their facebook discount). I'm not too sure of the cheapest for a Steam key though.

• Locked thread