Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/11/texas-man-dog-die-trapped-corvette/71053474/

How long was he in there that he could have died from heat exhaustion before he could be rescued?

What kind of clusterfuck was going on with the emergency responders that they weren't able to get the door open before he died?

The malfunction disabled the locks and horn, but no mention is made of whether or not the ignition was compromised. Why not just start the car and turn on the air conditioning/roll down the window?

Why would someone with enough money to afford a Corvette be eating at a Waffle House (traditionally a poor person venue)?

He was effectively dead when firefighters got there if he died. If there's one thing a firefighter understands it's that breaking windows is fun. No one is going to hesitate to smash out a window with an unconscious old man in a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

reverieeee posted:

so what you're saying is he's a loving idiot for only considering horsepower and price

also for only considering domestics cause yeah thats what he did. big conservative of course

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sheep-Goats posted:

He was effectively dead when firefighters got there if he died. If there's one thing a firefighter understands it's that breaking windows is fun. No one is going to hesitate to smash out a window with an unconscious old man in a car.

except for whoever called Auto Aids, and the Auto Aids guy, they seemed reluctant to bust a window :shrug:

really that's the most bizarre loving thing, that multiple people sat there and basically watched an old dude and a dog roast to death in a hot car because they were too timid to crack some glass

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

I owned one of those Corvettes, a few years of that generation were notorious for having an electrical short problem that could drain the battery. However, that being said, never happened to me.

Even if it did, it was blatantly goddamn obvious where the manual door releases were. It's right next to the door, with a nice bright red picture of a car door opening on it.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I generally use the outside of my car to murder dogs and old white guys, so I'm pretty impressed with this vette

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TeamIce posted:

Even if it did, it was blatantly goddamn obvious where the manual door releases were. It's right next to the door, with a nice bright red picture of a car door opening on it.

You are not 72 years old. Different things are obvious when you are old, stiff, in pain and losing your eyesight.

Then again, I wonder if something else was wrong? He forgot his cell phone in the restaurant and then got locked in his car, unable to find his way out as he and his little dog slowly roasted to death. If he didn't have dementia that is a pretty unusual level of mental derpiness, even at 72. I wonder if he had a stroke or something? Confusion is a symptom of stroke. He could have had a minor stroke without realizing what happened, and still be functional enough that the people in the waffle house wouldn't notice there was a medical emergency.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wow, old dude didn't go quietly,
http://kfdm.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/kfdm_vid_16530.shtml

quote:

Police say he left footprints all over the inside of the car, trying to escape. Investigators say he pulled up the carpet in his vehicle, tried to leave through the trunk, and used his car's owner manual to find ways to escape.

Pulled up the carpet, didn't notice the release lever.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
60-65, that should be the cutoff age for driving. old drivers are a loving menace and they deserve to all die by slowly baking to death.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
look how wicked fuckin easy it is to find the vette's backup door release handle

AdolfHitler
Mar 21, 2009
did his parent know that he was gay

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

anchoress posted:

look how wicked fuckin easy it is to find the vette's backup door release handle

Sure, it looks easy from that angle. But if you are a fat old guy already seated in the car with the door closed, maybe with limited mobility/flexibility/vision, it's probably pretty hard to see anything down on the floor like that, and recognize it as an operable control. And elderly people are not good with subtle or concealed things.

It's frankly pants-on-head retarded for GM to have designed the C6 this way. There is no practical benefit to having a fancy electronic power door control instead of a traditional mechanical latch.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Number_6 posted:

Sure, it looks easy from that angle. But if you are a fat old guy already seated in the car with the door closed, maybe with limited mobility/flexibility/vision, it's probably pretty hard to see anything down on the floor like that, and recognize it as an operable control. And elderly people are not good with subtle or concealed things.

It's frankly pants-on-head retarded for GM to have designed the C6 this way. There is no practical benefit to having a fancy electronic power door control instead of a traditional mechanical latch.

maybe that old gently caress should have learned how his own car worked some time between buying it and cooking to death

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wafflz posted:

Scattered, smothered and covered for all walks of life.

Flesh Forge posted:

also chunked and topped

Seems like the type of place that would spell it scatter'd, smother'd, cover'd, chunk'd, and topp'd.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Normal cars automatically unlock when you pull the handle from the inside, sorry old american guy

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

TeamIce posted:

I owned one of those Corvettes, a few years of that generation were notorious for having an electrical short problem that could drain the battery. However, that being said, never happened to me.

Apparently the manual release was on the floorboard near the driver seat. He was basically stuck in a real life Sierra adventure game puzzle.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Perhaps he could have formed some sort of rudimentary mustache out of his dogs fur.

Would that have helped?

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye

Number_6 posted:

And if you are locked out (as in your remote doesn't work or a dead battery), you have to pull apart your remote, and use the key inside on a hidden slot at the back of the car to open the trunk, and then find a cable inside of the trunk to pull and manually open the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

anchoress posted:

maybe that old gently caress should have learned how his own car worked some time between buying it and cooking to death

old people are retarded and have terrible memories and i wouldn't be surprised if he'd been shown how to open the door mechanically a dozen times before. when they get agitated and confused they can't think straight and of course they bake to death in a corvette.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
what exactly was wrong with a handle to open the door and locks with little up-down thingies that you can pull on?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

jarofpiss posted:

old people are retarded and have terrible memories and i wouldn't be surprised if he'd been shown how to open the door mechanically a dozen times before. when they get agitated and confused they can't think straight and of course they bake to death in a corvette.

The restroom stalls at work have one set of latches that are very clearly not attached to anything (I don't know why) in addition to the ones that do work and one of my older coworkers who has been here for like a decade got "stuck" when she tried to unlock the wrong one and had to crawl out from underneath the stall and had us call a maintenance man from main campus to try and fix the "stuck" door so yeah this

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Klyith posted:

what exactly was wrong with a handle to open the door and locks with little up-down thingies that you can pull on?

Theft deterrent. It makes it much more difficult for someone to open the door from the outside if they can't even see the locking mechanism. But then, you know what they say about building impregnable fortresses, they're hard to escape from.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

anchoress posted:

Yeah. This one's going 100% on the old man's head. Either he had a stroke or he was senile. Either way not GM's fault he couldn't find that or the passenger one while attempting to tear up carpet and enter the trunk

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Young Freud posted:

Theft deterrent. It makes it much more difficult for someone to open the door from the outside if they can't even see the locking mechanism. But then, you know what they say about building impregnable fortresses, they're hard to escape from.

I really don't think it deters theft at all. If someone really wants to break into your car they will bust a window. After I had to pay over a hundred bucks to replace some glass, I started leaving one door unlocked because there wasn't anything worth half that in the car.

And if you're worried about the vehicle itself getting stolen, electronic gizmos are exactly the wrong direction. Now instead of someone needing to open your car with a jimmy and hotwire it, they can dupe your key with a smartphone.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And when you have a dead old man in the car it's like double the theft deterrence, good move imo

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
If you read any Corvette forums about this incident (and you shouldn't), there's someone who claims to have known the dead guy fairly well and has more info on the event. Apparently he only had the car for about two weeks and it was his "dream car". He supposedly went to that Waffle House at least once daily and knew the people there pretty well. On the day of the incident, he was there for like 4 hours before he left around noon (and left his phone there). The little purse dog was in there with him the whole time. The car was parked in view of the Waffle House, but not very close, and the windows were darkly tinted. Apparently he was in there for like 4 hours before they broke the windows and got him out.

People on those forums are saying the family should sue for his death due to the bad design. Personally, I think the Corvette engineers probably did this guy a solid. poo poo, you've got a white trash high performance vehicle and all you do with it is take it out to the drat Waffle House, dragging your Paris Hilton rat dog along for the ride? Maybe the Corvette has enough electronics and computerization to have a limited intelligence and realized that this dude would be better off pushing up daisies. Thank you, sentient 'Vette, for getting rid of this dude before his senility led him to mistake the accelerator for the brake pedal and turn a schoolbus full of children into a twisted package of Oshkosh B'gosh wrapped ground beef.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Klyith posted:

After I had to pay over a hundred bucks to replace some glass, I started leaving one door unlocked

good luck with the insurance claim if your car gets stolen

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

evryone in here judging people for not smashing the window seems to have forgotten that this was an old white dude in texas driving a corvette. youd have to have a death wish to touch that guys car without his permission let alone wilfully damage it

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
maybe the hashrbowns at the WHo were poisoned by muslims?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

jarofpiss posted:

old people are retarded and have terrible memories when they get agitated and confused they can't think straight

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

evryone in here judging people for not smashing the window seems to have forgotten that this was an old white dude in texas driving a corvette. youd have to have a death wish to touch that guys car without his permission let alone wilfully damage it
natural selection is swift and just

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

QFT.

If you broke that window to save him and his dog, he'd just turn around and loving sue you for the damages.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

RoboJiggolo posted:

And if you are locked out (as in your remote doesn't work or a dead battery), you have to pull apart your remote, and use the key inside on a hidden slot at the back of the car to open the trunk, and then find a cable inside of the trunk to pull and manually open the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0

lol if your car needs a video to explain how to open it you made a bad car

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
So, stuck in a parking lot in broad daylight and never thought to bang on the window and yell for help?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

QFT.

If you broke that window to save him and his dog, he'd just turn around and loving sue you for the damages.

He wouldn't have much luck, Texas has a "Good Samaritan" law to protect people from liability if damages are incurred during rescue or aid.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was he out of gas? Did the air conditioner not work?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
poor dogge :(

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/11/texas-man-dog-die-trapped-corvette/71053474/

How long was he in there that he could have died from heat exhaustion before he could be rescued?

What kind of clusterfuck was going on with the emergency responders that they weren't able to get the door open before he died?

The malfunction disabled the locks and horn, but no mention is made of whether or not the ignition was compromised. Why not just start the car and turn on the air conditioning/roll down the window?

Why would someone with enough money to afford a Corvette be eating at a Waffle House (traditionally a poor person venue)?

I admit I didn't click this expecting to go "Well, that's actually really sad." But for some reason, I was.

Seems like a "What a moron!" story but when you read it, it seems like "Holy hosed up car design." You shouldn't accidentally be able to lock yourself in a car. Poor guy.

That too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
How did the battery cable get undone? I drive a beater and that's never happened.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
he should have tried LSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

im full of poo poo posted:

good luck with the insurance claim if your car gets stolen

pffft as if I have comprehensive

EugeneJ posted:

Was he out of gas? Did the air conditioner not work?
The battery cable was loose, the car isn't going to turn on.

• Locked thread