Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
then ill make a website with cool scrolling and really informal language and use lots of short sentences to seem down-to-earth

This is BoxBer. It's simple. Really.

thats my slogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

then ill make a website with cool scrolling and really informal language and use lots of short sentences to seem down-to-earth

This is BoxBer. It's simple. Really.

thats my slogan

I'm going to invest all my SA Posting Points in your company. I'm now your advisor.

1) get an .io domain name
2) Change company name to BoxBr(.io)
3) profit

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

cheap cars for hire will directly oppose clean and efficient public subways and LRT use. why take smelly subway when i can get a car for hire for cheap.

the taxi industry is lovely but uber is a blight that is showing that personal convenience will always trump sound public policy even for the most left leaning people

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
one is a state teetering on the brink of collapse that believes its land and people are uniquely destined to shape the future of the world, with a deranged utopian vision everyone else must conform to and the other is, of course, Germany

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

now that boxbr.io has taken off, we need a proof of concept video starring a borderline-attractive everyman hipster who is constantly looking slightly confused, and someone to write a really simple acoustic guitar track with some xylophone or some poo poo in it

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
London black cab drivers hate Uber because their business goes back hundreds of years and before you can be a licensed cab driver in London, you have to pass "The Knowledge" Test (https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/knowledge-examinations-system.pdf).

This is apparently ridiculously difficult, and takes years of driving around London to prepare for, because you are expected to know your way around all the streets of city that is thousands of years old and not set out in any logical way.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

love is uber

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

cheap cars for hire will directly oppose clean and efficient public subways and LRT use. why take smelly subway when i can get a car for hire for cheap.

the taxi industry is lovely but uber is a blight that is showing that personal convenience will always trump sound public policy even for the most left leaning people

in all seriousness uber is/was a pretty solid application of technology to disrupting an entrenched industry

like the taxi industry is so lovely because they have a blessed legal monopoly on driving people places. in summary everyone is horrible, but the world is probably ultimately a better place after uber levels a few kicks into a hosed, archaic taxi system.

agree generally wrt public transit, but there are plenty of cases where cars and public transit do not realistically compete for every passenger.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

spud posted:

London black cab drivers hate Uber because their business goes back hundreds of years and before you can be a licensed cab driver in London, you have to pass "The Knowledge" Test (https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/knowledge-examinations-system.pdf).

This is apparently ridiculously difficult, and takes years of driving around London to prepare for, because you are expected to know your way around all the streets of city that is thousands of years old and not set out in any logical way.

I guess GPS doesn't work in London?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

now that boxbr.io has taken off, we need a proof of concept video starring a borderline-attractive everyman hipster who is constantly looking slightly confused, and someone to write a really simple acoustic guitar track with some xylophone or some poo poo in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YBtspm8j8M

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

hello, i'd like to offer you $25 million in series A funding

no no don't tell me about the tech behind your business or poo poo like 'how you will make money', just make sure you take pictures of yourself flashin the cash!

i'm sure it'll work out like it did for the chap at Clinkle.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darth123123 posted:

I guess GPS doesn't work in London?

Yep, but and they use it. But it's not a substitute for "The Knowledge" apparently....e.g. when stuck in a jam, or when there is roadworks etc.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
What are the reasons for disliking Uber if you aren't a cabbie whose lovely legalized monopoly got destroyed by it

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

Magnitogorsk. posted:

What are the reasons for disliking Uber if you aren't a cabbie whose lovely legalized monopoly got destroyed by it

1) hate everything

2) are a hipster who is moving on to the next cool thing already

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's also this thing of it being a really dangerous precedent to leave alone, the legal gymnastics of relabeling employees so that you can do whatever the gently caress you want with them and give the finger to the entirety of labor law that people literally sacrificed their lives for so you could all not be indentured servants

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Magnitogorsk. posted:

you could say theres a legal monopoly on the power infrastructure too. should we deregulate that as well? you might (temporarily) get cheaper hydro!

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

you could say theres a legal monopoly on the power infrastructure too. should we deregulate that as well? you might (temporarily) get cheaper hydro!

Getting a ride back to your hovel after a night of debauchery does not qualify as a public utility

Bolek
May 1, 2003

How many instances of "technology and innovation can't be fought and will always win out" do people need to go through before they stop wasting their time bemoaning the loss of the great Taxi Service and adapt instead of being rolled over. Hmm Yase the great Black Cabs, the Knowledge its the 1950s and a literally picture perfect satellite connected waypoint system just cannot compete with a gin soaked Limey mind hmm

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope everyone dies

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

City of Tampa posted:

I just want a method to exist that allows me to say "hey I need a ride to the airport and I have $25" and then someone that has nothing better to do can see that and come give me a ride to the airport. It doesn't need to be a full time job for someone, or something that builds a multi-million dollar company, or something that results in campaign contributions.

I just need a ride to the airport and I know that there are people out there that will provide this for much less than the $75 that Yellow Cab wants. I'd love for subsidized public transportation to exist (or any decent public transportation in my area at all) but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

try making a friend

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bolek posted:

How many instances of "technology and innovation can't be fought and will always win out" do people need to go through before they stop wasting their time bemoaning the loss of the great Taxi Service and adapt instead of being rolled over. Hmm Yase the great Black Cabs, the Knowledge its the 1950s and a literally picture perfect satellite connected waypoint system just cannot compete with a gin soaked Limey mind hmm

coupled with real-time traffic feeds showing slow downs, construction, police, etc. Eh, better to use my intuition instead.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Its replacing actual jobs with nonjobs. The whole pseudo contractor app system is basically a race to the bottom in benefits and wages. In the short term it might help a few people make ends meet with supplemental income but in the longterm it's just another thing that contributes to income inequality and unstable employment prospects.

E: to be clear I think how uber works is cool and convenient but this modern trend of attempting to turn everything into freelance work with disposable laborers is not a good thing for swelling ranks of our lower classes.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 17, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magnitogorsk. posted:

people should get paid for doing jobs imo, although I respect and understand the position of the person who does nothing and does not want to have to pay for it when they want others to do something

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

There's also this thing of it being a really dangerous precedent to leave alone, the legal gymnastics of relabeling employees so that you can do whatever the gently caress you want with them and give the finger to the entirety of labor law that people literally sacrificed their lives for so you could all not be indentured servants

yeah but i need a 20 dollar ride back to my apartment at 3 am, gently caress your ethical dilemmas

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GBS, Che-shirted, rips off its mask to reveal Rush Limbaugh screaming venom about unions when confronted with its chauffeur wanting the benefits of a Walmart greeter

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Bolek posted:

which Dark Enlightenment magic card are you?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How many people in this topic supporting Uber have ever unironically used the term lolbertarian?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Wafflz posted:

How many people in this topic supporting Uber have ever unironically used the term lolbertarian?

its not libertarianism when I do it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wafflz posted:

lol

btw if you ever use the words 'disruptive', 'disruption' in the ways a San Francisco techbro does you are a tremendous, incurable human being and I say this as a person who works for the kind of guys who call ignoring labor and safety laws disruption

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 17, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I dunno about you guys but if the only way to provide a service i want but don't need at a pricepoint i can afford includes exploiting people with unreasonable wages and no benefits I'm okay with the service just not being a thing.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I don't support Uber any more than I support driverless cars or multi-axis robots putting in car fenders. If you think you can stop the death march of technology and mass labor obsolescence with pathetic clinging to a few hundred thousand jobs that are hilariously replaceable you're a deluded loving idiot.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I liked uber before all the Nigerian taxi drivers figured out they could make more money by buying a beat to gently caress 2005 Toyota minivan which has never been cleaned and driving for Uber.

I rate them all one star so hopefully it'll work itself out.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno about you guys but if the only way to provide a service i want but don't need at a pricepoint i can afford includes exploiting people with unreasonable wages and no benefits I'm okay with the service just not being a thing.

If you don't want to contract for uber nobody is forcing you. It was never designed for people to do it as a full time job.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

If you don't want to contract for uber nobody is forcing you. It was never designed for people to do it as a full time job.

this is a bullshit excuse for idiots when used on retail workers and it's a bullshit excuse for idiots when used on the guy chauffeuring you to the club downtown guy

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Noblesse Obliged posted:

People are selfish. Which is exactly why when push comes to shove any policy more extreme than center-left tends to fail, because they don't take people's selfishness into account.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Bolek posted:

I don't support Uber any more than I support driverless cars or multi-axis robots putting in car fenders. If you think you can stop the death march of technology and mass labor obsolescence with pathetic clinging to a few hundred thousand jobs that are hilariously replaceable you're a deluded loving idiot.
Except theres no technological advance here that prevents people from doing it as a full time job. It's just set up in a way that makes it so the employer doesn't have to provide benefits. It's like when a company that could hire one 40 hour a week employee hires 2 20s because its cheaper for them. That is absolutely something you can and should handle with regulation. Uber hasn't cut out the manhours needed to taxi people around they've just found a way to take more advantage of the people performing that labor. Its one thing when technology and automation replaces work people could do, but the only job uber is actually automating here is the dispatcher.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

i actually think uber should be immune from all lawsuits and criminal investigations of any kind and also not have to pay anyone anything

Bolek
May 1, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Except theres no technological advance here that prevents people from doing it as a full time job. It's just set up in a way that makes it so the employer doesn't have to provide benefits. It's like when a company that could hire one 40 hour a week employee hires 2 20s because its cheaper for them. That is absolutely something you can and should handle with regulation. Uber hasn't cut out the manhours needed to taxi people around they've just found a way to take more advantage of the people performing that labor. Its one thing when technology and automation replaces work people could do, but the only job uber is actually automating here is the dispatcher.
If they wanted a full time driving job with benefits they would go get a full time driving job with benefits that for some reason is in jeopardy because there is no technological advance here it's just "set up that way" Do you even read what you post?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is a bullshit excuse for idiots when used on retail workers and it's a bullshit excuse for idiots when used on the guy chauffeuring you to the club downtown guy

Only if workers had some sort of way to collectively bargin. A group of people joined together, a union of you will...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
i just drive a car for myself i dont have no ubers

• Locked thread