Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
:firstpost:

mdm posted:

I like how Silicon Valley's ideas for "disruption" only involve evading laws and taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
imagine if your employer didnt have to give you health insurance

because your government already gave you one bc they consider it it a human right

lol

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

at least in a no-fault state that likely would just be a matter of sorting priority for medical and would probably just be your own insurer

your own insurance for what, exactly?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
:qq: waaahhhhh my cyber errand slave can't undercut established lovely taxi companies if they abide by the same rules as every other company on earth, wahhhhh i thought we were supposed to disrupt commerce forever, we can't compete otherwise :qq:

*has $50b in capital*

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

mdm posted:

I like how Silicon Valley's ideas for "disruption" only involve evading laws and taxes

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Vin BioEthanol posted:

ze statue of liberty is kaput!

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
I'm sure all of those happy unskilled contractors will be glad to be unemployed again. Thanks, government!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mercrom posted:

imagine if your employer didnt have to give you health insurance

because your government already gave you one bc they consider it it a human right

lol

but is it also a economic and logistical possibility over the long term..

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Isn't the deal with Uber that you don't have any responsibilities as a "contractor"?

In which other jobs can you just drop it and decide not to work any more without telling anyone? Uber can't really tell anyone to do anything, they don't really hold a position of power over their "employees." It seems like that's a pretty significant difference from a regular labour relationship.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
"listen up poors; we are protecting you by making sure that you don't have access to affordable taxi-style transportation."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

but for some reason Uber drivers are not fleeing Uber in great numbers to become taxi drivers. I wonder why?

because not every jackoff can just sign up online and start taxi driving obviously

City of Tampa posted:

you know how many pizza delivery guys actually insure their cars for commercial use? Zero.

oh poo poo we better shut this down, these guys are a menace to society lol

I managed a Domino's and you sure as poo poo better believe Domino's was all over their asses about their insurance constantly. If you came to work with your insurance expired you weren't driving, and we knew it because we required you to give us your insurance info so we could enter it into the system and it wouldn't even let drivers clock in without a manager override.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

because not every jackoff can just sign up online and start taxi driving obviously

I managed a Domino's and you sure as poo poo better believe Domino's was all over their asses about their insurance constantly. If you came to work with your insurance expired you weren't driving, and we knew it because we required you to give us your insurance info so we could enter it into the system and it wouldn't even let drivers clock in without a manager override.

ya definitely but never once was I told "hurp durp you better have commercial insurance or next thing you know you'll be shitposting from prison!!!"

you just needed to have the state minimum insurance.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
this is the kali yuga..thats all i keep saying to myself

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this_is_hard posted:

ya definitely but never once was I told "hurp durp you better have commercial insurance or next thing you know you'll be shitposting from prison!!!"

you just needed to have the state minimum insurance.

Yeah but if you crash and you never told your insurance you were a delivery driver they'd deny the gently caress out of your claim and now you're liable for tons of money if you hurt someone or damage their property.

Had that happen to a driver, actually.

Domino's itself also pays for insurance over the drivers to cover any liabilities on Domino's part.

City of Tampa posted:

Also you can lend money to someone if you want without legally declaring yourself to be a bank, and you should also be able to sell raw cow's milk to people if they understand that's what they are getting. If you want to loan out a billion dollars or sell a million gallons of milk then yes you should be regulated.

But if you have a few extra gallons that you want to sell at the farmer's market on the weekend then you shouldn't be forced to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops. Just like if your neighbor needs a ride to the airport and wants to throw you $20-30 for doing it. It's not the end of civilization if you accept that deal.

k but Uber is a $50 billion company.

and if your raw cow's milk gets someone sick 'caveat emptor' isn't really going to fly when they sue you. or if you lend someone money and they don't want to pay it back who makes them? the government and the regulations they impose on contracts.

City of Tampa posted:

"listen up poors; we are protecting you by making sure that you don't have access to affordable taxi-style transportation."

"I hate taxis therefore de-regulate the transportation industry."

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
Personally, I think the fed should wait until uber is an American self driving car monopoly, the military take over the company, and integrate it into a federal, tax funded public transit service

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

GBS, Che-shirted, rips off its mask to reveal Rush Limbaugh screaming venom about unions when confronted with its chauffeur wanting the benefits of a Walmart greeter

This is the shirt they now wear

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
needs to be some kinda tindr app, but for sharing/buying rides

"ugh car has a bunch of newspapers piled up in the back, WTF"
*swipe*

"well that van has a wizard painted on it lol"
*swipe*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Anyone should just be able to sell whatever in small amounts. Caveat Emptor. If you get sick and die from my 'raw cow's milk' I'm selling then that just sucks for you because I don't think I should be regulated."

The Gilded Age wasn't even 150 years ago you dumb morons why do you want to go back to something that obviously failed miserably?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

City of Tampa posted:

I see your point but lots of businesses are really scummy with having everyone listed as a contractor for legal loopholes. loving lmao when FedEx pulled that poo poo. This is more about worker protection than it is about being anti-Uber.

They aren't banning Uber in California. They're just telling them if your employee works 40 or more hours a week you need to offer health insurance. They should just do what most other American companies do and never give anyone full time hours.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
The day I get a call from a snarky middle manager telling me to get out of bed because I'm late for my Uber-drive is the day I ask for benefits.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah they can. I can leave my job right now and be hired as a cab driver within hours. The ads are in the paper every day; it seems like this great industry that we are trying to protect has an awfully high turnover for some reason.

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah they check to see if your insurance is expired, but they don't check to see if your vehicle is insured as a commercial delivery vehicle. They would have no drivers if they did. I delivered pizzas for Pizza Hut back in the early 2000s and it was even store policy to keep a T-shirt in your car so you could change quickly in the event of an accident.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Roy posted:

The day I get a call from a snarky middle manager telling me to get out of bed because I'm late for my Uber-drive is the day I ask for benefits.

Your cellular phone app would still be your manager.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Melmac posted:

lots of businesses are really scummy with having everyone listed as a contractor for legal loopholes. loving lmao when FedEx pulled that poo poo.

I 100% agree with this point.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
good to know both pizza hut and uber are screwing insurance companies

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coolie Ghost posted:

Personally, I think the fed should wait until uber is an American self driving car monopoly, the military take over the company, and integrate it into a federal, tax funded public transit service

now you're thinking.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
lmao phone double post

Coolie Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 17, 2015

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

"Anyone should just be able to sell whatever in small amounts. Caveat Emptor. If you get sick and die from my 'raw cow's milk' I'm selling then that just sucks for you because I don't think I should be regulated."

The Gilded Age wasn't even 150 years ago you dumb morons why do you want to go back to something that obviously failed miserably?

lol yeah a guy selling you a gallon of raw milk so that you can make a decent ball of homemade mozzarella is totally the same as The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

We are returning (or have already returned) to the gilded age but it wasn't because of raw milk or Uber. That's a funny comparison though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

Yeah they can. I can leave my job right now and be hired as a cab driver within hours. The ads are in the paper every day; it seems like this great industry that we are trying to protect has an awfully high turnover for some reason.

idk how it is in FL but in the good parts of the country the taxi medallions are limited (which may or may not be bullshit itself) so it's not like anyone can just become a cab driver within hours. you'd have to go through a taxi company and get one of their medallions which means their vehicles and poo poo more often than not (unless you want to modify your own to conform to taxi standards). it's definitely not a process that takes a few hours.

quote:

Yeah they check to see if your insurance is expired, but they don't check to see if your vehicle is insured as a commercial delivery vehicle. They would have no drivers if they did. I delivered pizzas for Pizza Hut back in the early 2000s and it was even store policy to keep a T-shirt in your car so you could change quickly in the event of an accident.

Sounds like a lovely franchised out store that was begging to get slammed with a lawsuit, then. Our drivers would be in hot water if they even took the Domino's thing off the top of their car. People called to complain about speeding and we'd reprimand. That poo poo wasn't a joke. We'd much rather fire unsafe drivers than shrug it off because if the driver is speeding and kills a kid and we've had multiple complaints about them speeding already we'd be hosed.

You're right that Domino's doesn't check for commercial insurance (because Dominos isn't liable if the driver crashes 90% of the time or if they are they have their own insurance they pay for), but if you crash and you never told your insurance company what you did with your car (read: you lied on your insurance application) they are going to deny you coverage and you're hosed if you crash into someone.

I can't imagine why the state doesn't want people with insurance that may or may not actually cover them driving around being taxis for 3rd parties all day long. Guess it must just be evil government regulation.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 17, 2015

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Hmmm I could wait on hold for 10 minutes to order a taxi that has a 50% chance of actually showing up 70 minutes later, or I could press 2 buttons on my phone and have a car with a better paid driver in front of my house in 5 minutes for less money

I just can't figure out why uber is more successful than traditional taxi companies. It must be because they are doing something evil, we need the government to smother them with regulations ASAP

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Hmmm I could wait on hold for 10 minutes to order a taxi that has a 50% chance of actually showing up 70 minutes later, or I could press 2 buttons on my phone and have a car with a better paid driver in front of my house in 5 minutes for less money

I just can't figure out why uber is more successful than traditional taxi companies. It must be because they are doing something evil, we need the government to smother them with regulations ASAP

yeah because there's no middle ground anywhere

it's either poo poo taxis or ride share 'contractors' who work a full time job that gives no benefits and is fairly dangerous (driving around vs just sitting in an office)

making a company give employees benefits they are entitled to under the law = smothering with regulations

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
You are right there is no middle ground, those are the 2 options I have for taxis in my city

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magnitogorsk. posted:

You are right there is no middle ground, those are the 2 options I have for taxis in my city

and so it shall be forever, magnitogorsk has spoken

/thread no point in talking about it anymore. companies won't evolve, industries won't change.

I'm not saying don't use Uber, I'm saying they're going to have to take less than a 30% cut or let drivers set their own rates. If that literally destroys the company then their business model was hosed to begin with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Coolie Ghost posted:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just buy a bike you lazy fat fucks

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

numberoneposter posted:

just buy a bike you lazy fat fucks

no u

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Hmmm surely the company with $50bil in capital and a proven track record of ~disrupting~ can't figure out how to weather this insurmountable storm of having to have employees?!

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Roy posted:

Isn't the deal with Uber that you don't have any responsibilities as a "contractor"?

In which other jobs can you just drop it and decide not to work any more without telling anyone? Uber can't really tell anyone to do anything, they don't really hold a position of power over their "employees." It seems like that's a pretty significant difference from a regular labour relationship.

I think that's every job except for military, slave, and peasant.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roy posted:

Ocean Book posted:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Ocean Book posted:

same thing :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Noblesse Obliged posted:

false. if i lent money to my father and charged him a ruinous interest rate i would be charged with a criminal act should he report it.

i dont know where you are from. but where i am you would be shut down selling any unpasteurized milk product to anyone period.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

again, false. delivery people all have fleet insurance.

All of this is wrong and you are wrong.

Here is a website with raw milk regulations by state: http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/raw-milk-regulations

I clicked on like 10 states and you could get sweet raw unregulated milk in all of them so maybe its you that lives in some weird place with tightly regulated milk and insured pizza bros.

• Locked thread