Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

lorn Wayne posted:

um hows exactly did this devolve into milkchat?

you ask this in GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
It is pretty easy to disrupt an industry when you just ignore all laws and regulations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
- disrupt law enforcement costs by selling ultra low quality single-use guns for 99 cents each, except don't call them guns, call them dispute resolution utility devices
- disrupt the entertainment industry by brokering desperate college students willing to sell sex acts to anyone who's willing to buy except relabel 'sex' as 'consensual gratification activity'
- disrupt commercial waste management costs by providing a network of dudes in pickup trucks who will haul your toxic garbage 50 feet in any direction away from your property and dispose of it, no questions asked

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

- disrupt commercial waste management costs by providing a network of dudes in pickup trucks who will haul your toxic garbage 50 feet in any direction away from your property and dispose of it, no questions asked

That TrashR is a pretty good disrupt. The garbage cartels are almost as bad as the taxis.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Just a protip to retarded apes who don't understand anything, a market valuation of 50 billion doesn't magic 50 million of liquid assets into your bank account.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

i took uber to a concert one time and it was good and cheap to get there. after the concert, they had instituted surge pricing and wanted like 4x-5x as much for the ride back so i said no. i'm still there. welp, that's my uber story ! thanks for reading !!

I like how Uber had surge pricing after that terrorist attack in Australia.

Also their comprehensive background check talking point got discredited by multiple US states.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I have a friend from college that is a software engineer at Uber.

They all have T-shirts that say "I <3 MERITOCRACY" :jerkbag:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

I like how Uber had surge pricing after that terrorist attack in Australia.

Also their comprehensive background check talking point got discredited by multiple US states.

there was a video of some dude who literally invented an insurance company, gave it a fancy logo, made up some numbers, and got his background check approved

edit: oh right it was 5 days ago - skip to 2:44 on the video here

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/12/uber-whistleblower-exposes-breach-driver-approval-process

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 18, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I have a friend from college that is a software engineer at Uber.

They all have T-shirts that say "I <3 MERITOCRACY" :jerkbag:

You should tell them software engineers arent real engineers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
lol just lol if you can't seamlessly switch careers at 40yo when your somewhat secure job is replaced by price warring competition that gets to minimize its operating costs by not adequately compensating its employees lmbo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Prallax Litovsk posted:

lol just lol if you can't seamlessly switch careers at 40yo when your somewhat secure job is replaced by price warring competition that gets to minimize its operating costs by not adequately compensating its employees lmbo

lol just lol that every uber driver is going to get the boot the hot minute Google finally lobbies self-driving cars through

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

lol just lol that every uber driver is going to get the boot the hot minute Google finally lobbies self-driving cars through

Even better Uber had multiple Google employees on their board of directors so Google already has insider info on the company, Silicon Valley is a pretty incestuous place.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
"disrupt" drug trafficking by pretending bitcoin isn't currency or something

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

etalian posted:

Even better Uber had multiple Google employees on their board of directors so Google already has insider info on the company, Silicon Valley is a pretty incestuous place.

it's about who you know, so taxi drivers should start handing out business cards that's some next level networking then they can LEVERAGE that poo poo, lol at u poors have you ever even heard a thought leader speak at an event?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

this is the dumbest argument anyway because I'm arguing with people who don't even accept the basic premise that government regulation is a good thing despite the last 300 years of human history

secede and you can eat all the rust chips in your red pepper flakes you want, sorry CA isn't a shithole state like Kansas.

God drat you are a dumb fag. I'm guessing you live in a city with a population of 5k people and have never had to deal with taxis.

Pro-tip: taxi drivers are all slow smelly cocksuckers

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
This video seems fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CR2rxRMcTE

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 18, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

God drat you are a dumb fag. I'm guessing you live in a city with a population of 5k people and have never had to deal with taxis.

Pro-tip: taxi drivers are all slow smelly cocksuckers

What are the policies of Uber drivers not being slow smelly cocksuckers?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtechs posted:

What are the policies of Uber drivers not being slow smelly cocksuckers?

If your rating by customers falls too low you get fired. It only takes a handful of 1 ratings.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

City of Tampa posted:

lol yeah a guy selling you a gallon of raw milk so that you can make a decent ball of homemade mozzarella is totally the same as The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

We are returning (or have already returned) to the gilded age but it wasn't because of raw milk or Uber. That's a funny comparison though.

any whiff of deregulation and sacrificing workers rights should be sniffed out and shut down as fast as humanly possible, must like Walmart wrt unionizing

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

If your rating by customers falls too low you get fired. It only takes a handful of 1 ratings.

But are independent contractors?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

GBS, Che-shirted, rips off its mask to reveal Rush Limbaugh screaming venom about unions when confronted with its chauffeur wanting the benefits of a Walmart greeter

Bolek
May 1, 2003

*independent contractor working for Comcast voice* Buhh, I guess this house ill charge 100 dollars per outlet because I feel like it that's how this poo poo works oh and I call the CEO of Comcast and tell him to eat out my rear end hole because I'm independent and that's what it means

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

goons on the rapid development of petroleum technology:

technology to extract oil from sand and fracking: government must regulate so we dont open up sink holes and ruin water tables. tax the proceeds to fund public programs.

goons on prostitution:

prostitution should be regulated to make it safe for those who chose to do it and taxed to fund public programs.

goons on uber:

gently caress YOU GOT MINE LOL LOL LOL LOL

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Bolek posted:

*independent contractor working for Comcast voice* Buhh, I guess this house ill charge 100 dollars per outlet because I feel like it that's how this poo poo works oh and I call the CEO of Comcast and tell him to eat out my rear end hole because I'm independent and that's what it means

those people should probably be considered employees too hth

solo humping pro
Jun 4, 2015

Noblesse Obliged posted:

goons on the rapid development of petroleum technology:

technology to extract oil from sand and fracking: government must regulate so we dont open up sink holes and ruin water tables. tax the proceeds to fund public programs.

goons on prostitution:

prostitution should be regulated to make it safe for those who chose to do it and taxed to fund public programs.

goons on uber:

gently caress YOU GOT MINE LOL LOL LOL LOL

idgi

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Self driving cars in urban environments arent even possible without layers upon layers of interdependent technologies that introduce countless complications and catastrophic scenarios if any one of them breaks even for a second. Algorithmic autonomous city driving isnt feasible without friend of the family-rigging it somewhere, like having some onstar type tech guy in a room driving them through the most difficult scenarios (most of urban driving)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tech fueled indentured servitude is here to stay at least, lets be thankful we can all still eat. Praise the corporate masters for this bountiful harvest.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

jokes on you when the flying car gets here

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Tautologicus posted:

Tech fueled indentured servitude is here to stay at least, lets be thankful we can all still eat. Praise the corporate masters for this bountiful harvest.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lorn Wayne posted:

um hows exactly did this devolve into milkchat?

thread disruption

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tautologicus posted:

Self driving cars in urban environments arent even possible without layers upon layers of interdependent technologies that introduce countless complications and catastrophic scenarios if any one of them breaks even for a second. Algorithmic autonomous city driving isnt feasible without friend of the family-rigging it somewhere, like having some onstar type tech guy in a room driving them through the most difficult scenarios (most of urban driving)

Google lied, uber died

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Explain the algorithm by which a self driving car obeys a police officer directing traffic at a broken 4 way traffic light, but ignores the drunken hobo gesturing similarly at your car at the next light. Or what if theres no cop and only the broken lights, or no cop and only the broke lights and the hobo. Aint no way to do it cleanly. Enter deus ex machina tech guyus, independent contractor of course.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

Explain the algorithm by which a self driving car obeys a police officer directing traffic at a broken 4 way traffic light, but ignores the drunken hobo gesturing similarly at your car at the next light. Or what if theres no cop and only the broken lights, or no cop and only the broke lights and the hobo. Aint no way to do it cleanly. Enter deus ex machina tech guyus, independent contractor of course.

ironically the only world in which an automated car would work would be one where no cyclists or pedestrians are allowed in the same places as cars. so we end up with the suburbanite dream of cities devoted entirely to the automobile and those lovely lieberal retards confined to the underground.

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Tautologicus posted:

you don't need that algorithm, because presumably the car wouldn't be completely self-driving, you'd be able to intervene if human judgment was required. sort of like when you make toast and midway you realise you set the timer for too long and you know, you can turn it off.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

lite frisk posted:

you don't need that algorithm, because presumably the car wouldn't be completely self-driving, you'd be able to intervene if human judgment was required. sort of like when you make toast and midway you realise you set the timer for too long and you know, you can turn it off.

bitch..you cant even text and drive without crashing into poo poo and you think you gonna react from swiping tinder profiles or playing Candy Crush and realize what the gently caress is going on before you're sailing through the windshield and the Google car makes sure that within 15 minutes that Personal Injury litigation spam starts bombarding your inbox lol

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

lite frisk posted:

Google has a prototype without a steering wheel. Im saying this version is not possible. There will be a human driver interacting with it somewhere if they go ahead with it. Autonomous highway driving is simple enough so they have succeeded..but to conflate that with city driving etc..get outta town. I have no authority in these areas, just driven a lot in my life so ive got an opinion on how many discretionary decisions go into driving around.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Noblesse Obliged posted:

bitch..you cant even text and drive without crashing into poo poo and you think you gonna react from swiping tinder profiles or playing Candy Crush and realize what the gently caress is going on before you're sailing through the windshield and the Google car makes sure that within 15 minutes that Personal Injury litigation spam starts bombarding your inbox lol

Ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tautologicus posted:

you don't need police officers if you make driving your own car illegal besides for random scans to make sure nobody is illegally driving themselves, the car will get updates from the police department on road conditions and respond accordingly. you will never pass a law like that in a billion years, but it's not completely impossible to see a way around it. cyclists and pedestrians are harder but the probably simplest way to handle that is just to have the car stop as soon as a human traveling in front of it or potentially doing so is detected. of course, that's abusable... and you'd probably handle it the same way you'd handle some jackass standing in front of your car in the driveway, call the cops and have them come by or get out of the car and handle it yourself

• Locked thread