Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

i dont get uber man.

its the only massive multinational corporation that rips off those dumb enough to drive for it, is completely unregulated and escapes paying any taxes

yet progressives will loving defend it to the bitter end.

i dont understand anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

City of Tampa posted:

it makes taxis accessible to people that don't have tons of expendable cash. It's nice to get a ride home from a game without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money or risk a DUI.

so instead of using mechanisms we already have in place to regulate taxis and subsidize public transit you will hand over all for-hire cars to a dubious shadow company with no accountability and pays nothing into the cities in which they operate?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

cheap cars for hire will directly oppose clean and efficient public subways and LRT use. why take smelly subway when i can get a car for hire for cheap.

the taxi industry is lovely but uber is a blight that is showing that personal convenience will always trump sound public policy even for the most left leaning people

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Magnitogorsk. posted:

What are the reasons for disliking Uber if you aren't a cabbie whose lovely legalized monopoly got destroyed by it

you could say theres a legal monopoly on the power infrastructure too. should we deregulate that as well? you might (temporarily) get cheaper hydro!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Bolek posted:

How many instances of "technology and innovation can't be fought and will always win out" do people need to go through before they stop wasting their time bemoaning the loss of the great Taxi Service and adapt instead of being rolled over. Hmm Yase the great Black Cabs, the Knowledge its the 1950s and a literally picture perfect satellite connected waypoint system just cannot compete with a gin soaked Limey mind hmm

which Dark Enlightenment magic card are you?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Wafflz posted:

How many people in this topic supporting Uber have ever unironically used the term lolbertarian?

its not libertarianism when I do it

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

City of Tampa posted:

Why can't Uber be like Craigslist and Ebay? Nobody is saying that people that sell poo poo on Craigslsit and Ebay need to get business licenses and store their goods on commercially-zoned property, etc.

Uber just needs to quit doing the "hiring" (background check, etc.) poo poo and stop collecting money. Just be an app that people that need rides can use to find people that have cars and free time.

we had people who just had a car (or carriage) and free time. and they shuttled people around for money. it became very popular in big cities. but then issues arose with overcrowding of certain streets, no way of dispute resolution, no consistency on fares or quality of ride. so they introduced regulations, one by one over the period of some near four hundred years to govern it all and we think that because some doo dad comes along we should just throw it all out?

never mind that consistently every single jurisdiction that has deregulated its taxi service has met with higher fares in the long run and severe drop in quality. and every one has re regulated

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

City of Tampa posted:

whatevs, I'm not paranoid. Most people are cool.

No, I don't want a taxi service. I don't want to call a professional taxi and pay for all that overhead and bullshit. I want to be able to find a person that has nothing better to do so that they can drive me somewhere in exchange for money. I don't want to buy a house for the CEO of Yellow Cab. Let's get him out of the equation.

I support regulation of business and strong employee rights, but this is not a service that needs all of this poo poo. People right now have cars sitting in their driveways doing nothing while other people nearby need rides. Let these two groups hook up without 400 years of middlemen.

Uber is popular because it is providing a service that does not currently exist; affordable and convenient rides. If somehow Uber gets to be more expensive than a traditional cab then something else will replace it, or we will do without. Right now though Uber is providing a very valuable service that people like, and the only thing in it's way is politics.

but you are fine with forking it over to Uber and their legit monopoly in the making? you know when they become more expensive than cabs will be when they are the ONLY one left and you have no choice right?

i have money...some people need money..how come i cant just lend to them and have to go through all these bullshit middle men setting interest rates? let the free market sort it out!

i have a cow. it makes milk..some people like milk. how come i cant just sell them milk without going through all this bullshit middle men making sure its pasteurized?!? let the free market sort it out!

uber is nothing like the technology that has shifted the music and film industries..because no one ends up paralyzed without the proper insurance from listening to an unsafe song.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

My city requires taxi services to have standard colored cars, insurance, picture dis, a established printed rates. All of which benefit me. Uber refused, therefore are banned here.

not to mention regulations also protect the driver. they regulate the shielding between the driver and rowdy drunk patrons. the emergency beacon they hit if they are in trouble.

we make people get insurance for a reason too. we dont just let them run around taking chances because of the social consequences it had on our society when people were getting killed or injured an no one was there to pick up the tab.

it would also be very bad to have a bunch of uber drivers, massively increasing their risks on the road just to find out when something goes wrong that there is no safety net.

my insurance company made me prove how far my work is from my home because my driving rates change my rates. if i lie about it then they can withhold coverage and i go to jail instead. already the courts have begun looking at uber x drivers that have been involved in this stuff. how many will have to be imprisoned or destitute before we get our head around why we regulate in the first place

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

City of Tampa posted:

Also you can lend money to someone if you want without legally declaring yourself to be a bank, and you should also be able to sell raw cow's milk to people if they understand that's what they are getting. If you want to loan out a billion dollars or sell a million gallons of milk then yes you should be regulated.

But if you have a few extra gallons that you want to sell at the farmer's market on the weekend then you shouldn't be forced to jump through a bunch of stupid hoops. Just like if your neighbor needs a ride to the airport and wants to throw you $20-30 for doing it. It's not the end of civilization if you accept that deal.

false. if i lent money to my father and charged him a ruinous interest rate i would be charged with a criminal act should he report it.

i dont know where you are from. but where i am you would be shut down selling any unpasteurized milk product to anyone period. i know this because theres a bunch of loons looking to give themselves polio by trying to get around these laws by purchasing "shares" of a milk cow then collecting the milk the supposedly already own. that didnt fly either.

regulations are also to help protect idiots from themselves.

taxi drivers are fleeing to uber because they are going to loose their homes if they dont join in on it. its not because its better for them.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

City of Tampa posted:

you know how many pizza delivery guys actually insure their cars for commercial use? Zero.

oh poo poo we better shut this down, these guys are a menace to society lol

again, false. delivery people all have fleet insurance. if they do not declare what they are doing then they are committing insurance fraud. delivery people who are doing it on personal insurance are taking a massive risk to themselves and to anyone they may be liable for. we do actually crack down on delivery drivers driving without proper insurance.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

lmao you're insane if you think delivery drivers have fleet insurance

I delivered pizza for like 5 years in college for every major delivery chain and i have never once met a driver with anything other htan the bare rear end minimum amoutn of insurance.

my coworker at one point hit a deer and totaled her car. she took the dominos sign off, took pictures for her insurance co, and i came by and picked up the pizzas and finished the delivery for her

namaste

had you critically injured someone you would now be posting from prison. and had any police officer asked for your insurance you would have been charged.

you gambled and you didnt loose. this doesnt mean it was right. major chains of pizza companies dont care because its your rear end on the line if you drive without the right insurance, not theirs.

edit: my god im getting invested in an argument on gbs. gently caress i need a regulation to protect myself from my own stupid lovely posting.

Noblesse Obliged fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 17, 2015

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

reading your posts is NEVER a gamble bc they always suck. the outcome is known lol

i just been uber'd gently caress.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

shut up nerd

thanks. i needed that. brought be back from the serious posting trap

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

anyway. the point is gently caress germany

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

I declared to GEICO that I was using my car as a delivery driver and they cancelled my insurance. I'm guessing I'm not the only one it's happened to.

That loving gecko lied to me man!!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fortunately I'm now with Sun Life which are two things goons never experience

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

goons on the rapid development of petroleum technology:

technology to extract oil from sand and fracking: government must regulate so we dont open up sink holes and ruin water tables. tax the proceeds to fund public programs.

goons on prostitution:

prostitution should be regulated to make it safe for those who chose to do it and taxed to fund public programs.

goons on uber:

gently caress YOU GOT MINE LOL LOL LOL LOL

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

jokes on you when the flying car gets here

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

Explain the algorithm by which a self driving car obeys a police officer directing traffic at a broken 4 way traffic light, but ignores the drunken hobo gesturing similarly at your car at the next light. Or what if theres no cop and only the broken lights, or no cop and only the broke lights and the hobo. Aint no way to do it cleanly. Enter deus ex machina tech guyus, independent contractor of course.

ironically the only world in which an automated car would work would be one where no cyclists or pedestrians are allowed in the same places as cars. so we end up with the suburbanite dream of cities devoted entirely to the automobile and those lovely lieberal retards confined to the underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

lite frisk posted:

you don't need that algorithm, because presumably the car wouldn't be completely self-driving, you'd be able to intervene if human judgment was required. sort of like when you make toast and midway you realise you set the timer for too long and you know, you can turn it off.

bitch..you cant even text and drive without crashing into poo poo and you think you gonna react from swiping tinder profiles or playing Candy Crush and realize what the gently caress is going on before you're sailing through the windshield and the Google car makes sure that within 15 minutes that Personal Injury litigation spam starts bombarding your inbox lol

• Locked thread