Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Ripoff posted:

Can someone link to the contractor test stuff because I can't remember which ones they gently caress up on but I'm pretty sure it's the same poo poo that FedEx got in trouble for when calling their drivers contractors.
I don't know about the test but some guy summed up the court findings :

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9732231

quote:

1) Drivers providing their own cars is not a strong factor - pizza delivery employees also drive their own cars.
2) Uber "control the tools that drivers use" by regulating the newness of the car.
3) Uber exercises extensive control over vetting and hiring drivers and requires extensive personal information from drivers.
4) Uber alone sets prices, and tipping is discouraged, so there is no mechanism for driver (as "contractor") to set prices.
5) Plaintiff driver only provided her time and car. "Plaintiff's work did not entail any 'managerial' skills that could affect profit or loss."
6) Drivers cannot subcontract (presumably negating Uber's position as a "lead generation" tool for contractors).
Sorry that these are out of order. Look on Page 9 of court documents for full text.

#4 and #6 especially seem damning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread