Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

WHAT HAPPENED LAST SEASON: Bashar al-rear end-er, Barry Al-Fayeed, a totally normal American dude, takes a vacation to the old country to visit his family. Along the way he learns to love and laugh, experiences hope and despair, and eventually winds up in the dungeons after he attempts to overthrow his brother the rapist dictator. The show is ok except for the shoe-horned in family drama.

CHARACTERS

Bassam "Barry" al-Fayeed, dentist

Molly al-Fayeed, Skyler

Jamal Al-Fayeed, rapist, dictator, cool dude

Leila Al-Fayeed, Jamal's loving wife

Tariq al-Fayeed, should just throw a coup d'etat already

Ihab Rashid, probably affiliated with al-Qaeda or ISIS

theres also some family people and a journalist but who cares

----

Anyone watch last night's season 2 premiere? I thought it was pretty good, a lot better than the first season. Seems like they're reducing the dumb family drama for more political intrigue.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Worst thread in ages, do better.

I watched it, it was great.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Worst thread in ages, do better.

I watched it, it was great.

is that ok

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bellissimo!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Holy poo poo this got renewed and they didn't write out Molly? Is this real life?

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Woa I thought that this show got horrible ratings? Cool to see a second season, The end of s2ep1 that Jamal scene is stone cold.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 17, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Holy poo poo this got renewed and they didn't write out Molly? Is this real life?

Well, she just flew out of the country and I didn't see her in the preview for next episode so hopefully the family is being sidelined.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I genuinely thought that preview was a joke or something, it looked ridiculously soap opera-ish.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Show needs to kill off Bassam's family.

Preferably via something tyrannical. Because, y'know, "Tyrant".

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Tyrant never disappoints when it comes to disappointing.

Man, I had hopes they actually killed Barry and decided to reboot the show and make it about Jamal. Nope.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Man, I had hopes they actually killed Barry and decided to reboot the show and make it about Jamal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Tyrant never disappoints when it comes to disappointing.

Should be the thread title.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I remember this show!! It was laughably terrible. I don't think I exaggerate when I say that it getting renewed is the worst decision ever made by an American re: the middle east, and that includes both wars on Iraq.

I dropped it right after the thing with the baby terrorists at early season 1. Does it warrant continued watching or is it just bad in an unremarkable way?

(btw if you want less-awful middle east dictator drama you can always just watch House of Saddam)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

This show had the perfect chance to write the kids out of the show, yet from the preview for the next one it seems they're doubling down on the son's importance.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Also, in order for this thread to be relevant, I think we need to work a spoiler from another show into the title.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

TequilaJesus posted:

Also, in order for this thread to be relevant, I think we need to work a spoiler from another show into the title.

Tyrant: Tommy Westphall's snowglobe the whole time.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Wow, they actually renewed this lovely show? It was a great premise, but then you had terrible characters, a white British dude with blue eyes playing an Arab, and just terrible plots that went nowhere. It was even too boring to hate watch.

The wife was way worse than both the kids combined. She was so, so horrendously dumb that it kinda became hilarious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The wife was the worst written character I have ever seen in a show that actually made it to broadcast. And the actress did it no favors. Just terrible garbage all the way down.

Queers And Fears
Apr 30, 2006
Look out for Ole Miss in 06!
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the season one thread, but FX outbid HBO for this show. Imagine how improved it could be if this was on HBO instead of FX.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Still amazed we're getting Season 2 of Tyrant & NO season 3 of The Bridge.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MaC_DaDDy posted:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the season one thread, but FX outbid HBO for this show. Imagine how improved it could be if this was on HBO instead of FX.

If it kept the same casting then probably not much at all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

What the gently caress? THE BRIDGE GOT CANCELLED?!?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it kept the same casting then probably not much at all.

Wasn't that when Ang Lee was attached to the pilot? He later bailed.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I am even more surprised that show got renewed than i was with Halt and Catch Fire. Also Molly al-Fayeed is litterally the most stupid character ever, the only thing that would make her really stupid advices to Barry make any sense would be that she is an intelligence officer charged by Barry's mother to 1) give her grand-children and 2) railroad her stupid son back to the country when it's needed, but her whole "oh they are badly treating our servants" arc confirmed it: nope, she is just stupid.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

Is The Bridge worth watching?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CODChimera posted:

Is The Bridge worth watching?
Yes. You can also watch the original Danish&Swedish show or the other remake, the English&French's "The Tunnel ", it's one of those shows who was remade in multiple countries and all versions i have seen are decent to watch.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Toplowtech posted:

I am even more surprised that show got renewed than i was with Halt and Catch Fire. Also Molly al-Fayeed is litterally the most stupid character ever, the only thing that would make her really stupid advices to Barry make any sense would be that she is an intelligence officer charged by Barry's mother to 1) give her grand-children and 2) railroad her stupid son back to the country when it's needed, but her whole "oh they are badly treating our servants" arc confirmed it: nope, she is just stupid.

Isn't she supposed to be a doctor too? She's the worst actor, but it's not like she's got much to work with. Barry is like "I come from a massively unstable Middle Eastern country and my father is a crazed dictator who literally has people hanged in the street." and she's like "He's your father! We must visit and take our gay son!"

I was hoping her story arc would be that she'd go mad with power and start abusing servants and going on insane shopping sprees. Or get any sort of interesting storyline.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
I knew a girl a few years back who was dating a guy from Syria and planning to visit (for the first time, of course), and one day she just went on this rant about how its a wonderful place and all the bad stuff you hear about it is US government propaganda and lies meant to smear this perfect utopian wonderland she had already decided to move to and raise a family. America is the real oppressive dump, etc. I think it was something like 3 weeks later when the whole place fell into chaos.

But still, Molly is a whole new level of dumb.

Anyway I really hope this show starts to work, because the premise is amazing and its utterly shameful how they wasted it. I still think Jamal is a pretty decent character, even if the rest of them don't make much sense.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Simple solution to fix the current mess: The wife and children secretly support some anti-Jamal dudes, Jamal finds out, puts a bullet in each ones head while his doctor brother is forced to watch, Barry becomes enraged and tries to kill Jamal, but fails. Jamal kills Barry. Boom, done, everything is fixed. Let's go back to watching Jamal be a Ball(er).

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

*Pointless flashback*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Still an incredible lack of Tyranny.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
obvious producer notes of the season - Jamal doesn't seem DICTATOR enough. Can we have him walk around in a military uniform w/ lots of comical medals to really drive home the point, please?

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Gonz posted:

Still an incredible lack of Tyranny.

The deployment of chemical weapons seen at the end of the show would indicate that the amount of Tyranny in the show is about to explode.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
obvious producer's notes - yeah, so adding the sister-in-law, regardless of how hot, really brought nothing to the table that is Barry's cruddy family. We thought she was going to be the sex-bomb free spirit who hosed w/ Arab traditions or maybe even teased being sold into white slavery but the coup came along faster than we expected and introduced her too late. Now she's kinda like this show's 'Poochie'. So if we could make no mention of her in season 2 and pretend that didn't happen, that would be great.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kill Dozed posted:

The deployment of chemical weapons seen at the end of the show would indicate that the amount of Tyranny in the show is about to explode.

Unless Jamal draws and quarters his insane uncle on live TV in a soccer stadium next week, there will continue to be a lack of tyranny on Tyrant.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Gonz posted:

Unless Jamal draws and quarters his insane uncle on live TV in a soccer stadium next week, there will continue to be a lack of tyranny on Tyrant.

Jamal's going to tie Barry's gay son up with ropes, each limb attached to a different elephant, and make them tear him apart. He will then stand up and proclaim "Mash'Allah" to the tens of thousands of cheering citizens.

Tyrant-y enough?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Also, I can't wait for episode 7 where Jamal suppresses an Uber taxi strike in his capital

e: that's what the chemical gas is really for

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Also, I can't wait for episode 7 where Jamal suppresses an Uber taxi strike in his capital

e: that's what the chemical gas is really for

He routs a surge pricing coup in the capital

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why couldn't they just kill Bassam. Who the gently caress watches the show to see him do....anything? It should be the "Jamal Slowly Goes Crazy With Power" hour. Not the "Barry Hangs in the Desert and His Wife is Gonna Fall in Love With Some Dude and Never Change Her Facial Expression" hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jamal's going to tie Barry's gay son up with ropes, each limb attached to a different elephant, and make them tear him apart. He will then stand up and proclaim "Mash'Allah" to the tens of thousands of cheering citizens.

Tyrant-y enough?

That would certainly fit the bill.

Right now, they might as well call the show "Laser Clowns", because no laser clowns will ever show up, either.

• Locked thread