Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Barry is the worst action hero I've ever seen, but it is fun to watch him stumble from one crisis of his own making to another.

"Point of order!" *stab*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I look forward to watching this season much more than the first, yet I still laugh at the absurdity all the time this season too.

We were loling so hard when Barry said "just so you know" after he told the chick he wasn't going to be captured

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
What is even the point of Molly and lawyer guy? Bassam doesn't seem like the type that is going to be jelly, especially since his type seems to be more the middle-eastern and not the middle-western woman.

I think the show could have been miles better if they had cut the whole "golden boy brother returns from America" poo poo and just made it about the drama inside a middle-eastern palace. I guess Berry works on some level this season as our window into the caliphate on the ground.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GaussianCopula posted:

What is even the point of Molly and lawyer guy? Bassam doesn't seem like the type that is going to be jelly, especially since his type seems to be more the middle-eastern and not the middle-western woman.

I think the show could have been miles better if they had cut the whole "golden boy brother returns from America" poo poo and just made it about the drama inside a middle-eastern palace. I guess Berry works on some level this season as our window into the caliphate on the ground.

Well I mean he's been married to an American woman for 20 years, so it's fair to say that's more his type than his childhood crush (in a middle-eastern country where there weren't any women like Molly). There is no point, however, to lawyer guy.

I think Barry's time away from Abuddin gave the character a believable outsider perspective that was sorely needed for the events of the series to unfold. He's also more sympathetic and easier to root for than Jamal, an unapologetic rapist who mentally shattered his daughter-in-law to the point where I fully expect her to commit suicide at some point this season.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

How long has it been since Barry "died"? A month or so? Lawyer guy came off as a major creep when Molly was all "no this is too soon" and he goes "when are you going to get over him girl let's get it on" :smug:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That... was pretty good. Nicely done?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I feel like you are the only one I can trust oh....anonymous man on the telephone obviously talking through a cloth.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So "Khalil" hysterically calling out for Sammy. Not that isn't suspicious at all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I've just started fast forwarding through every scene that features Barry's wife.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I guess the Tyrant's collapse from madness to non-functionality was always going to be a part of the show.

That take on a wartime romance was, I dunno, cute? Quirky? Inventively off putting? Original. It was original. So good for it, I guess.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Just started this show, always wanted to be a Near Eastern dictator so I'm pretty pumped.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Arbite posted:

I guess the Tyrant's collapse from madness to non-functionality was always going to be a part of the show.

That take on a wartime romance was, I dunno, cute? Quirky? Inventively off putting? Original. It was original. So good for it, I guess.

Original? It's was extremely predictable, just like the whole attack on the "red hand".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Has Barry slept with the other white middle easterner yet? Has Barry's wife slept with the lawyer yet?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Has Barry slept with the other white middle easterner yet? Has Barry's wife slept with the lawyer yet?

Barry is not going to sleep with her cause he has reconnected to his wife, who slept next to lawyer dude but no intercourse.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm sure I've said this before but I can't help but wonder how AMAZING this show would be if the team behind Empire just took over for a season. Quick changing characterizations and plot directions repeatedly, like the cliff notes of writing instead of actually plotting the show properly, only they don't have the excuse of having to crank oit 'x' amount of musical numbers per episode. Toss in sound juicier soundbites and tell the actors to act extra hammy and this show would almost be tolerable, though not in a way I'd admit to my friends.

Meantime we've got most of Team Barry living on enemy soil while the not ready to be Daniek Radcliff son cavorts w/ chicks who assume white guys aren't gay and Barry's phone calls from the grave don't trigger any alarms in the mind of his brother.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

This cloth over the phone will totally disguise my voice!

The same voice I change when I answer the phone but that only lasts or like 10 seconds because FABRIC

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Since Barry has appeared in that little village, hasn't 90% of it been killed off by him or the Caliphate? Bad Luck Barry is his new nickname.

The show would improve 100x if it just focused on the middle eastern parts and killed off the son and Molly. I expect the caliphate next to kidnap Sammy and have some weird televised thing where its a 3 way trivia panel with Barry, Jamal, and Rashid.

Season 2 is 13 episodes so still 4 more episodes to go.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Well, i certainly didn't expect that they would do in the grand mother. But hey, they went there.

And were we really suppose to buy into that whole notion that new son was trying to seduce old son's no-children-having wife?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I like that all you need to beat the faux-IS is $10million and a somewhat experienced leader and for some reason faux-IS did not bring their Jedi-RPG gunners with them to this city, cause they would have wrecked the Apaches. That makes me wonder, what kind of mercenary group is that? They have a squadron of Apaches, transport helicopter and a good number of infantry but only cost $10 million? Or did they use a groupon coupon?

But at least we got a black guy wearing a tanktop and his pal wearing cool sunglasses while jumping out of their helicopter in the most outrageous way possible

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They were still using military equipment from the Abuddin arsenal. The $10 million was just payment to the mercenaries. It was kind of idiotic for the caliphate to forget to bring their RPGs given that the Khalil had just captured their anti-aircraft weaponry though.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

God drat Tyrant needs to stop burning through its plot lines. The introduction of Rami was mildly interesting. Nah just kidding he went from secret bastard child to leader of the Abuddin military to prisoner to Merc General in the span of three episodes.

Him and $10 million dollars is apparently all you need to end the fight against ISIS. Someone get Obama on the phone.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Him and $10 million dollars is apparently all you need to end the fight against ISIS. Someone get Obama on the phone.
Yeah, i don't think anyone is that good at logistics. Unless he got an army who doesn't eat and doesn't get pay and the $10 million dollars were packaged with a lot of free hardware.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, i don't think anyone is that good at logistics. Unless he got an army who doesn't eat and doesn't get pay and the $10 million dollars were packaged with a lot of free hardware.

Its a ton of money if your army is a dozen extras and a few dozen more CGI soldiers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
They just killed the best character on the show.

gently caress this show. No reason to watch a season 3.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I don't think there is a season 3.

Also the internet is saying those weren't kill shots.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I, the dictator, will give this long winded refusal of resignation, in an awkwardly framed wide lens shot for over half a min.

*BANG BANG BANG*

(shocker)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My DVR cut off half way through. Someone wanna sum it up for me?

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Solice Kirsk posted:

My DVR cut off half way through. Someone wanna sum it up for me?

Dick Cheney finds out he wasn't going to get pardoned by the Supreme Court so he tells Saddam Hussein not to resign and to blame Donald Rumsfeld for 9/11, Saddam declares he will remain in power but then gets shot by his infertile daughter-in-law, who he raped in the first episode. As we fade to black we see Obama "Barry" Hussein trying to save his brother's life while Hillary Clinton looks on, hoping Saddam dies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thank you. Now I can finally not watch this show anymore. Unless they killed Molly. Did they kill Molly? Her emotionless face and horribly delivered lines where the worst poo poo in a pile of poo poo that was this show. I'm assuming if they did she looked like this while/when it happened :silent:.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thank you. Now I can finally not watch this show anymore. Unless they killed Molly. Did they kill Molly? Her emotionless face and horribly delivered lines where the worst poo poo in a pile of poo poo that was this show. I'm assuming if they did she looked like this while/when it happened :silent:.

Molly is alive, but they seem to have written off the daughter.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Thanks to this thread I've saved about 12 hours of my life by not watching the second season of this lovely show. I was curious about how they'd end it.

Sad to see that they killed the daughter off. She seemed to be the only member of the family with any common sense or knowledge of international news.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

netally posted:

Thanks to this thread I've saved about 12 hours of my life by not watching the second season of this lovely show. I was curious about how they'd end it.

Sad to see that they killed the daughter off. She seemed to be the only member of the family with any common sense or knowledge of international news.

They did not kill her, they just left her in the US of A and never talked about her again.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

GaussianCopula posted:

They did not kill her, they just left her in the US of A and never talked about her again.

They should have ended the season with the daughter at home watching CNN:

"Dad? You're alive?!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Getting rid of Jamal after a lukewarm "paranoid ramblings" C-story arc is the purest testament that this show was never going to rise out of the third tier drama ghetto. And yet if they shoehorned him alive after those three gunshots, it would be absurd. BAD DAH DAH DAH DAH DUH, FART

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

GaussianCopula posted:

Considering the fact that her entire character seemed to exist around the sole trait of "is vaguely feminist in a country where women are treated poorly" in the first season... I find it depressingly hilarious that the show just completely dropped her in favor of giving the son a bigger spotlight. :v:

If this show gets a third season, I will be shocked.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
How the gently caress did this show get a 3rd season?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They are gonna make Jamal's sexy wife the Uday Hussein of this show finally. Just make the show about her buying and trying on clothes, waving guns around and executing people.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

How the gently caress did this show get a 3rd season?

yeah, this show still has an awesome premise (especially with the current middle east geopolitical crisis) but has just failed in so many ways. I would have make it a slow burn shakepearean tragedy with Barry being forced to make more and more tyrannical decisions in the name of the greater good and a chronicle of his descent instead of whatever the gently caress they are trying to do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Having a tyrant in a show called Tyrant would be a little on the nose wouldn't you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nice to see Barry is as terrible a political operator as he was in season 1. Never have I seen such a good hand thrown away. Twice.

• Locked thread