Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

MourningView posted:

He's way better off the dribble and scoring around the basket now than he was when he got to the league.

His game around the basket has improved greatly but he is still insanely inconsistent and showed that throughout the playoffs after seemingly fixing that in the regular season. He shot 41% in the Finals. With that said, he's gotten better every year in all aspects of his game and his future is pretty bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
What kind of player is David Lee anyway? All I know is that he's a former All-star who didn't start this season and costs $15mil next year. Would he be worth picking up (along with a pick) for the Spurs assuming Duncan returns and they strike out on LMA/Millsap? Basically is he worth a one-year deal as a rotation PF for a contender?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

If any fan is interested in a slightly used David Lee for their favorite team's roster write a letter/call your favorite team and make it happen tia

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

warcrimes posted:

His game around the basket has improved greatly but he is still insanely inconsistent and showed that throughout the playoffs after seemingly fixing that in the regular season. He shot 41% in the Finals. With that said, he's gotten better every year in all aspects of his game and his future is pretty bright.

and post retirement he has a guaranteed easy gig being planted in the fertile soils of Rapa Nui

that's right I don't care how many rings he earns Klay Thompson looks like a moai !!

Disillusionist posted:

What kind of player is David Lee anyway? All I know is that he's a former All-star who didn't start this season and costs $15mil next year. Would he be worth picking up (along with a pick) for the Spurs assuming Duncan returns and they strike out on LMA/Millsap? Basically is he worth a one-year deal as a rotation PF for a contender?

He was the case study that distinguishes good defensive rebounding numbers from good defense. He was the star of the Knicks so he'll be hugely overrated until he's forgotten. He won a dunk contest but he doesn't really dunk.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 17, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
David Lee is a good post scorer/rebounder with a solid midrange jumper who is ungodly bad defensively. He has some value as long as you can work around his limitations, but he's wildly overpaid at the moment.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I don't think Spurs would be interested in Lee. I'm not actually sure who would want him due to his $15m contract. LAL when they strike out on their free agent targets? GSW doesn't even really have any picks they can throw in.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

MourningView posted:

David Lee is a good post scorer/rebounder with a solid midrange jumper who is ungodly bad defensively. He has some value as long as you can work around his limitations, but he's wildly overpaid at the moment.

He's also a very good passer and can get a few steals. You'd think, at this stage in his career, he'd be content to contribute to a championship team but I guess he wants to play more than anything else, fair enough.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

warcrimes posted:

he is still insanely inconsistent and showed that throughout the playoffs after seemingly fixing that in the regular season.
Klay's always gonna be streaky, he had plenty of cold stretches during the regular season.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't think Spurs would be interested in Lee. I'm not actually sure who would want him due to his $15m contract.
He's am expiring next season, so probably someone who wants to dump $15m before next summer's free agency period.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 17, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

warcrimes posted:

He's also a very good passer and can get a few steals. You'd think, at this stage in his career, he'd be content to contribute to a championship team but I guess he wants to play more than anything else, fair enough.

He was not really contributing though, he was completely buried. He already has a ring and basketball players want to actually, like, play basketball.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

He'll likely get playing time next season on account of Draymond Green likely getting overpaid as gently caress.

Assuming he doesn't get traded first, of course.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
With that contract, I can't see anyone taking Lee on, but yeah, he could contribute to literally any team in the league. The Warriors this year were insanely stacked.

Their bottom bench guys were David Lee and Mo Speights. That is an embarrassment of riches.

I maintain that there's not a single player on the Warriors who couldn't have been a starter on at least one other playoff team.*

(*Injuries and The East may make this statement a bit more feasible than usual)

EDIT:
I said Roster, but I really should have said 11 man rotation.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 17, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

MourningView posted:

He was not really contributing though, he was completely buried. He already has a ring and basketball players want to actually, like, play basketball.
Yeah, at various times Kerr played everyone from Mo Buckets to Ezeli to an undrafted rookie they plucked out of the D-League over him. I still think he could be good for someone in a Pau Gasol'ish role, just not in this offense.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

Their bottom bench guys were David Lee and Mo Speights.
nah, that's these two

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Illinois Smith posted:

Klay's always gonna be streaky, he had plenty of cold stretches during the regular season.

He's am expiring next season, so probably someone who wants to dump $15m before next summer's free agency period.

Klay's consistency during the regular season was night and day between last year and this year in terms of improvement. The salary dump is going to be Lee's biggest appeal, probably.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, I had to go back and edit my post. But any of their top 11 guys could have started on another playoff team, and I'm gonna stick to my guns on that one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

warcrimes posted:

Klay's consistency during the regular season was night and day between last year and this year in terms of improvement. The salary dump is going to be Lee's biggest appeal, probably.

I can't imagine the Warriors want to take on long-term salary from anyone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think Lee is sorta underrated now. He can score in the post, he's really strong as the roll man in P&R or just cutting to the basket on transition. You get him moving toward the basket with even a little bit of space he is elite in finishing with either hand. His mid-range game even opens up the floor. He is actually as bad defensively as people say Love is though. $15Mil is a tough pill, but its only 1 more year. He would contribute on a lot of teams.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

dokmo posted:

I guess if I was in the position where LeBron said he would come to my team (for a 2 year deal, with player option on year 2) under the condition that I trade the #1 overall pick for Kevin Love, I would have a much harder making that deal than you guys. Not to say I wouldn't do the deal, it's just not a gimme, especially it means that Lebron takes over GMing duties. And wants to leave this year or next.

Here's a little experiment. You have the #1 overall pick in this year's draft. Which players would you trade that pick for? Obviously this depends on the state of whatever team you're imagining.
My list has six names on it

LeBron
Durant
Anthony Davis
Steph
Kawhi
Griffin

EDIT: I bet your list has Russ, right?

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 17, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

EvanTH posted:

Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook championship odds October 2014:
2014-2015 NBA CHAMPIONSHIP
CAVALIERS 5-2
SPURS 3-1
THUNDER 9-2
BULLS 6-1
CLIPPERS 8-1
WARRIORS 25-1
WIZARDS 25-1
ROCKETS 30-1

LeBron is really good and everyone knows it and has known it.

Hawks were probably like 100-1 on this list, made the conference finals.

:smugbert:

(Preseason betting lines mean jack poo poo)

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

morestuff posted:

I can't imagine the Warriors want to take on long-term salary from anyone.

Lockback posted:

I think Lee is sorta underrated now. He can score in the post, he's really strong as the roll man in P&R or just cutting to the basket on transition. You get him moving toward the basket with even a little bit of space he is elite in finishing with either hand. His mid-range game even opens up the floor. He is actually as bad defensively as people say Love is though. $15Mil is a tough pill, but its only 1 more year. He would contribute on a lot of teams.

both very good points

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

just like the hawks

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Means who people think will win the championship, hence the dude's post about everyone expecting Cleveland to win the championship in Year 1. What was the SAS poll like for predicted champion at the start of the season?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
After watching Draymond Green this season, I don't think he'll be "overpaid as gently caress". He'll make a lot of money, but he'll be worth it.

All of the other guys around the league though, who'll get fat checks in the future because they are, sort of, like a poor man's Draymond Green? They will be overpaid as gently caress.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

PantsFreeZone posted:

LeBron
Durant
Anthony Davis
Steph
Kawhi
Griffin

Yes. No kawhi

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Eh, that's list of best players, not best contracts.

You might not want to trade a #1 at this moment for LeBron or KD because they' both only have a year left and you'd be hosed the season after. LeBron back to Cleveland AGAIN and Kevin Durant flees to his original home, New York City.

AD might also be a problem under that reasoning, his contract is up after next year, no? The Pelicans will do whatever they can to keep him.

Steph's on a great deal with got two more seasons, maybe a reasonable choice if you know you can feature him now, Kawhi doesn't even have a contract for next year yet so I dunno how to address that.

Griffin might be the best choice there, he's locked down until 2018.

My list would include Demarcus Cousins. Kings got Boogie on a crazy good deal, got him until 2018 (age 27-28?) and it only goes up to 16.7m.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
^^ Best players are usually the best contract in the NBA. Players flee teams a lot less often than you seem to be implying, you get the most money staying with your team.

And Anthony Davis will be an RFA, meaning he won't be going anywhere for probably 6 years.

Libertine posted:

Means who people think will win the championship, hence the dude's post about everyone expecting Cleveland to win the championship in Year 1. What was the SAS poll like for predicted champion at the start of the season?

A 5/2 line on Cleveland actually means people think its more likely than not they don't win the championship. Part of the reason they were rated highly is there wasn't a ton of competition in the East, meaning they were more likely to be there.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 17, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN posted:

James does it all … except in the clutch

LeBron James became the first player to lead both teams in points, boards and assists per game in an NBA finals. He scored or assisted on 57.7 points per game, the most per game in Finals history. But in the clutch? LeBron fell short of greatness

:tizzy:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

PantsFreeZone posted:

LeBron
Durant
Anthony Davis
Steph
Kawhi
Griffin

Kawhi Leonard doesn't belong anywhere near this list. The rest of these guys make and will continue to make all star teams for the rest of their careers; Leonard is a good player on a team that is very well suited for him, that doesn't make him worth a #1 pick.

Westbrook would be on that list, and Love was also worth it. Hell, I'd also take Wiggins for this years #1 just because you know for sure that he's going to be a great player (barring injury), and Towns and Okafor could both bust - they're not any more likely to than any other random #1 pick, but Wiggins has played a year and shown he can handle the transition, and neither of those guys has a higher ceiling than him.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

But like, why even read this stuff.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

MourningView posted:

Excuse me, but I think you'll find that David Lee proved his defensive prowess by shutting down Marc Gasol in the postseason. Please revise your statements accordingly.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

The B_36 posted:

Kawhi Leonard doesn't belong anywhere near this list. The rest of these guys make and will continue to make all star teams for the rest of their careers; Leonard is a good player on a team that is very well suited for him, that doesn't make him worth a #1 pick.

Westbrook would be on that list, and Love was also worth it. Hell, I'd also take Wiggins for this years #1 just because you know for sure that he's going to be a great player (barring injury), and Towns and Okafor could both bust - they're not any more likely to than any other random #1 pick, but Wiggins has played a year and shown he can handle the transition, and neither of those guys has a higher ceiling than him.

I watched Kawhi dominate the best player I've ever seen play basketball for pretty long stretches. I'm biased.

I think Kawhi would be a better lynchpin on a title team than Russ because of his disposition and skillset. I wouldn't be shocked if Westbrook falls off sooner than we all expect due to the way he plays and his injury history.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

But like, why even read this stuff.
Because it popped up in my news feed so it was right in front of my face and I didn't have any choice and :cry:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EvanTH posted:

Eh, that's list of best players, not best contracts.

You might not want to trade a #1 at this moment for LeBron or KD because they' both only have a year left and you'd be hosed the season after. LeBron back to Cleveland AGAIN and Kevin Durant flees to his original home, New York City.

The best contact in the league is probably Wiggins. It's understood that none of those players are going anywhere without their consent.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

PantsFreeZone posted:

I watched Kawhi dominate the best player I've ever seen play basketball for pretty long stretches. I'm biased.

I think Kawhi would be a better lynchpin on a title team than Russ because of his disposition and skillset. I wouldn't be shocked if Westbrook falls off sooner than we all expect due to the way he plays and his injury history.

Hasn't Westbrook only been injured once in his entire career tho? He was an ironman up until missing a good chunk of thus season, and still came back and was a legit contender for league MVP. Seems an odd thing to have reservations about him on the injury history front.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Well, betting lines roughly translate into What People's Expectations Currently Are, which is similar to narrative.

Lockback posted:

^^ Best players are usually the best contract in the NBA. Players flee teams a lot less often than you seem to be implying, you get the most money staying with your team.

And Anthony Davis will be an RFA, meaning he won't be going anywhere for probably 6 years.

A 5/2 line on Cleveland actually means people think its more likely than not they don't win the championship. Part of the reason they were rated highly is there wasn't a ton of competition in the East, meaning they were more likely to be there.

hah, well an unspoken part of my thought experiment included forcing a great player off their current team to play for my Knicks so no self-respecting human would want to stay after their contract was up. I'd take any of those dudes for #1 if I had a good idea they'd want to re-sign afterwards.

5/2 was still better odds than anyone else, though? It's like saying out of all the teams they were considered Least Likely Not To Win The Championship, but either way they're still early favorites once Love and Irving were on board. Around here I think the expectation was more, it'll be like the Heat take a while to get it functioning correctly. I personally don't make good predictions because I can't separate my fandom from my analysis.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

The B_36 posted:

Hasn't Westbrook only been injured once in his entire career tho? He was an ironman up until missing a good chunk of thus season, and still came back and was a legit contender for league MVP. Seems an odd thing to have reservations about him on the injury history front.

He's torn that knee a few times and I think they finally removed his meniscus. Westbrook plays like a bulldozer and jumps violently, like a bigger Derrick Rose. I could be wrong, but the whole thing was just a fun game to see if I could guess dokmo's 6 players. You are looking way too hard into this.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Hahah loving Gentry.
"AD! AD!"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PantsFreeZone posted:

He's torn that knee a few times and I think they finally removed his meniscus. Westbrook plays like a bulldozer and jumps violently, like a bigger Derrick Rose. I could be wrong, but the whole thing was just a fun game to see if I could guess dokmo's 6 players. You are looking way too hard into this.

Russ tore his meniscus once because of Beverley running into it. Then going into the next season it started to swell (did not reinjure it). This season he broke a bone in his shooting hand and got a dent in his head thanks to roberson kneeing him. That is his entire injury history

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, so it was swelling. I thought I read about an NBA PG who had his meniscus removed this season. Eh.

That head dent was nasty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Westbrook has his meniscus. His grand injury total:

torn meniscus from Beverly in '12-'13 playoffs
stitch came loose from meniscus in '13 regular season
broke his hand on Perkins' stupid knee

PantsFreeZone posted:

Ah, so it was swelling. I thought I read about an NBA PG who had his meniscus removed this season. Eh.

That head dent was nasty though.

Rose had his meniscus removed at the end of this season.

• Locked thread