Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

The best contact in the league is probably Wiggins. It's understood that none of those players are going anywhere without their consent.

Unless I knew something about Towns that I don't currently know, I'd agree. But I don't, so I do. I got less worries about Wiggins' shooting than other folks, his movement is super smooth. (seems less of a "if he learns to shoot" than "when he gets used to shooting in the NBA" to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Lockback posted:

His mid-range game even opens up the floor.
His jumper's been busted the last two seasons or so and he's really reluctant to take those shots. It was a big reason why Mo Buckets took over his backup role this year.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Unless you're the Clips or Nets, salary dumps don't have the same appeal they once did. GMs search for expiring contracts because, well, they want them to expire. Lowe repeatedly had to point this out to Simmons one year when Simmons was wondering why the trade deadline was so boring and GMs were continually spinning deals like it was 2008

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WhyteRyce posted:

Unless you're the Clips or Nets, salary dumps don't have the same appeal they once did. GMs search for expiring contracts because, well, they want them to expire. Lowe repeatedly had to point this out to Simmons one year when Simmons was wondering why the trade deadline was so boring and GMs were continually spinning deals like it was 2008

Reducing contract lengths by a year is making a big difference, too.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Who is the likely coach next year for the cavs?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Prior to the knee thing (which he seems to have recovered from) Westbrook played 82 games like literally every year. He is a cyborg.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Thibs!

(it's Blatt)

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dr. Pancakes posted:

What? Do you really think they will replace Blatt? I don't think there's a chance in hell he gets fired unless they start the season like 0-11 or something.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

MourningView posted:

David Lee is a good post scorer/rebounder with a solid midrange jumper who is ungodly bad defensively. He has some value as long as you can work around his limitations, but he's wildly overpaid at the moment.

He's still a solid player who can make good decisions when driving to the hoop or finding the open man on the pick and roll.

Unfortunately, his jumper has been pretty broken all year - which I think is part of the reason Kerr decided not to play him much at all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Darren Rovell just reported that collectively, the NBA Finals ended up with its best TV ratings since 1998. Average audience on ABC was 19.94 million.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terry Glenn posted:

Rose had his meniscus removed at the end of this season.

BAM! That's who it was.

On a completely different note, I hope that Lowe article makes it so Mark Jackson never gets a coaching job again. Even if it means I have to mute my TV, he doesn't deserve the honor of holding the title of coach.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Libertine posted:

What? Do you really think they will replace Blatt? I don't think there's a chance in hell he gets fired unless they start the season like 0-11 or something.

People buy into dumb media narratives really easily.

Remember Eric Spolestra was on the "hot seat" every year with Lebron.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PantsFreeZone posted:

BAM! That's who it was.

On a completely different note, I hope that Lowe article makes it so Mark Jackson never gets a coaching job again. Even if it means I have to mute my TV, he doesn't deserve the honor of holding the title of coach.

What article

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Metapod posted:

What article

From the OP:

Mark Jackson, human poo poo:

quote:

Kerr overhauled a team culture that had grown poisonous, for well-documented reasons, under Jackson and his assistants. In his zeal to motivate players, Jackson fostered resentment among them and toward the front office. He fired two assistants, requested Jerry West stay away from practices, and asked a younger front-office official to stop rebounding for players, sources have said.

When Ezeli was injured last season, Jackson and his staff told the healthy players that Ezeli was cheering against them — so that he would look good, according to several team sources. Players confronted Ezeli in a meeting, and he wept at the accusation — which he denied.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

hitze posted:

just like the hawks

You still upset about Paul Pierce getting trolled twice in one series

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

CharlestheHammer posted:

People buy into dumb media narratives really easily.

Remember Eric Spolestra was on the "hot seat" every year with Lebron.

And the "Will Pat Riley take over as coach?" storyline that followed.

Blatt's not getting fired this quickly. His team overperformed, considering the injuries and the fact that most people pegged the Warriors as the favorites anyway. If anything, he was getting praised for his team's defense.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

PantsFreeZone posted:

Yeah, I'll take a lifetime of listening to him say wrong things on ESPN over one more season of him coaching anyone.

Also, have a Jamal Crawford documentary short because I only just found it and he is a lovely man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haPEG-CAKsM

e: vvv I still think another planet is a good call

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 18, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

IrvingWashington posted:

Yeah, I'll take a lifetime of listening to him say wrong things on ESPN over one more season of him coaching anyone.

I am in favor of Mark Jackson taking a coaching job on another continent.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yo why are Heat fans so butthurt LeBron left

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yo why are Heat fans so butthurt LeBron left

Oh look I somehow wandered into the comment section on Bleacher Report.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought Blatt did a great job in the playoffs. He outcoached Thibs, outcoached Budenholzer, and went toe-to-toe with Kerr in the Finals. After the injuries he completely changed their identity and it worked until Kerr made some adjustments.

The biggest knock was that it took him like half a season to adjust to the NBA. And he had a few people in the media who were trying to bury him. But from an on-court perspective, they had no business taking the Warriors to 6 games and probably no business even making the Finals.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It also appears the Bulls have hired Pete Myers as an assistant. Myers was unemployed this past season and was part of Mark Jackson's disastrous staff that played mind games with players and couldn't get along with each other (Myers famously is the guy who couldn't get along with Scalabrine which led to Scalabrine's demotion). As Reinsdorf said, they care a lot about their "culture".

On the other hand, Ron Adams who was not good enough for Chicago won a championship last night and was credited for much of the defensive schemes the Warriors implemented this season.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am in favor of Mark Jackson taking a coaching job on another continent.

Mark Jackson coaching a little league team would be pretty funny, I mean unless your child was on the team and you had to deal with the emotional scarring

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

chunkles posted:

Mark Jackson coaching a little league team would be pretty funny, I mean unless your child was on the team and you had to deal with the emotional scarring

The Great Ones find a way to play without gatorade and orange slices.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Mama, there goes that man being all passive aggressive on the third baseman

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Grozz Nuy posted:

Excuse me, but I think you'll find that David Lee proved his defensive prowess by shutting down Marc Gasol in the postseason. Please revise your statements accordingly.

Lee actually isn't horrible if you only ask him to defend someone one on one (as long as it's a big that's not super fast) . It's everything else that he's terrible at. It's not even like he sells out for rebounds like everyone says Love does (though he does do that at times) - he's just doesn't have any defensive awareness at all.

He's not a consistent jump shooter anymore - he'd have played more often this season if he could still hit it. Still a good passer and finish her and is a great roll big. He tends to set crappy screens (because he always wants to slip and roll) - though in game 3 he actually went hunting for Delly and was screening him hard. He'd probably work in the Spurs offense but I don't think they'd play him because of his defensive weaknesses.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Niwrad posted:

I thought Blatt did a great job in the playoffs. He outcoached Thibs, outcoached Budenholzer, and went toe-to-toe with Kerr in the Finals. After the injuries he completely changed their identity and it worked until Kerr made some adjustments.

The biggest knock was that it took him like half a season to adjust to the NBA. And he had a few people in the media who were trying to bury him. But from an on-court perspective, they had no business taking the Warriors to 6 games and probably no business even making the Finals.

Counterpoint: Mozgov is a good center, especially for the modern NBA, TT is a great pick and roll defensive big (I think only prime noah could have chased curry around as effectively) and Lebron is really, really, really good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

It also appears the Bulls have hired Pete Myers as an assistant. Myers was unemployed this past season and was part of Mark Jackson's disastrous staff that played mind games with players and couldn't get along with each other (Myers famously is the guy who couldn't get along with Scalabrine which led to Scalabrine's demotion). As Reinsdorf said, they care a lot about their "culture".

On the other hand, Ron Adams who was not good enough for Chicago won a championship last night and was credited for much of the defensive schemes the Warriors implemented this season.

Man. I actually like Hoiberg and hope he's successful. But It would be so satisfying to see GarPax fail and maybe finally have to deal with the consequences of a mistake/failure.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Paxson will never be fired. He buffers himself from all criticism besides making all the moves. If anything they'll make Forman the patsy if things go south. Or just stick to the path of blaming the coach and having the local media that's in their pocket tear him apart.

Myers is their "inside guy" that the Bulls have on every coaching staff they put in place. They never let their coach have full control.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Niwrad posted:

Paxson will never be fired. He buffers himself from all criticism besides making all the moves. If anything they'll make Forman the patsy if things go south. Or just stick to the path of blaming the coach and having the local media that's in their pocket tear him apart.

Myers is their "inside guy" that the Bulls have on every coaching staff they put in place. They never let their coach have full control.

It wouldn't shock me to see GarPax fired if Hoiberg flops. Remember, GarPax didn't want Thibs as coach (they wanted Doug Collins or Mike Brown, lmao). Thibs was Reinsdorf's guy.

Then again, Reinsdorf let Jerry Krause run the team into the ground over and over again for a decade and didn't give a poo poo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Emanuel Collective posted:

It wouldn't shock me to see GarPax fired if Hoiberg flops. Remember, GarPax didn't want Thibs as coach (they wanted Doug Collins or Mike Brown, lmao). Thibs was Reinsdorf's guy.

Then again, Reinsdorf let Jerry Krause run the team into the ground over and over again for a decade and didn't give a poo poo

Gar's hosed. Paxson literally attacked a co-worker/subordinate and his rear end still has a job.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I miss it all already. At least I have summer league to look forward to!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Gar's hosed. Paxson literally attacked a co-worker/subordinate and his rear end still has a job.

The only way Paxson gets fired is if he did something to hurt the White Sox.

Remember that Krause didn't get fired, he resigned and was eventually given a cushy job with the White Sox. As long as you are loyal to Reinsdorf, you'll have a job for life, competence be damned.

Shocked that Jimmy Butler can't wait to find his way out of this dumpster fire as quick as possible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If lebron wants Blatt gone Blatt is gone though.

From listening to Lebrons reporter all year it sounded to me Lebron was not high on him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Shocked that Jimmy Butler can't wait to find his way out of this dumpster fire as quick as possible.

:cripes:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

euphronius posted:

If lebron wants Blatt gone Blatt is gone though.

From listening to Lebrons reporter all year it sounded to me Lebron was not high on him.

They have done this every year for like 5 years.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Would a player still be a restricted free agent if that player retired as a one then came back after a year?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Fire Blatt! Thibodeau to the Cavs! Kill whatever chance LeBron had of retiring with functioning limbs!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Aren't the Cavs still on the hook for a ton of money for Mike Brown? If they were to fire Blatt they'd be paying out almost $10 million a year to guys not to coach their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Aren't the Cavs still on the hook for a ton of money for Mike Brown? If they were to fire Blatt they'd be paying out almost $10 million a year to guys not to coach their team.

Considering they're looking at $150-200m next year in salaries, what's another drop in the bucket?

• Locked thread