Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Rirse posted:

Should I bother to finish Arkham Origin before this comes out? I still debating if I want to get this right away, but I never finished Origins which I was given for free on the PS3 with the season pass. Last time I played was after beating Deathstroke.

I'd say it's worth finishing - there's a lot of excellent set pieces and it's not a very long game if you're not trying to do absolutely everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

you heard it here first, the arkham knight is azazel (who is azazel?)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

No, that is Azrael. I said Azazel.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

The Arkham Knight is a zombified Electrocutioner.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

I'm going to post Arkham Knights identity without spoilers as soon as it leaks if you guys don't knock it off.

then it won't matter what you post because everyone will think you're bullshitting

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Another gameplay demo. They're throwing these out like candy lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jrKu5GjeA

I like the changes to investigations, the gradual narrowing down of who the victim is in particular. Batman's stunning ability to identify literally everyone in Gotham City within 5 seconds of scanning their face, even if they had died in an explosion, was sort of weird. Even if the timetable is still unrealistic, it feels better for Batman to go "well okay I don't know who this is but here's a list of all the people with this deformity, we'll cross reference with people who had hip surgery, then with a list of idiots admitted to the hospital for swallowing their wedding rings, and here, this guy matches all criteria."

Also I'm really glad they showed off using battle mode in the Batmobile to do more careful maneuvering because I have no doubt I would have spent many stupid, fruitless hours trying to navigate narrow ledges in the normal driving mode and gotten very angry.

net cafe scandal posted:

(Heath Ledger Joker voice) It will be awesome, to boldly reveal the identity of the Arkham Knight and to cause true chaos for the bad Games posters... indeed chaos is the only way.

0/10, doesn't read like Heath Leader's Joker at all. Brush up on your roleplaying and get back to us.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Some guy beat an early copy of Arkham Knight and said that the Arkham Knight is Robin whatever that means (dick? tim? jason? damian?) and that the Joker is in the game.

We've pretty much guessed that Joker would be in the game in the form of a fear hallucination for as long as we've known Scarecrow was the main man. I'm not even going to spoiler that because I don't know if it's true or not but we've been speculating that for literally more than two years.

As to the other thing, I don't know. It just feels like the most obvious set of guesses.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

None of the Arkham games have been well written. Some have been more well written than others, but that's like saying that the flu is better than dysentery. I don't mind the bad writing unless it's outright offensive, but I guess I am a little disappointed that Rocksteady couldn't resist the single most obvious plot twist in the world.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That is true of many comics as well (starting strong but ending weak out of a lack of desire for real, permanent change) so it seems like a valid point.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

its like going to deviantart and seeing a palette swapped version of sonic and the text says "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL"

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Games are only getting bigger. I picked up Shadows of Mordor off this summer's steam sale and that motherfucker was 42 gigs. It didn't even have the decency to look really pretty for it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Literally every review of the game is explicity saying this. Great Batman game, probably the definitive Batman experience, Batmobile sections are repetitive and boring and they keep making you do them.

Vehicle sections being a drag???? who could have predicted this

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Aquasnake posted:

Hey does anyone know how common it is for gamestop to let you pick up a preorder the day before, like I know someone earlier in the thread said they could pick it up at 9pm. I have no idea what the line is going to be like at my gamestop, I showed up to the Origins release at like 12:05 and they were closing their doors because they were already done. I figure Arkham Knight will be a bit bigger than that, but I have no sense of scale. And if I could just pick it up during the day, well then so much the better.

Probably highly dependent on your specific Gamestop and the people who work there.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

holy jesus I picked this up at a midnight release last night and set it to download and install on my PS4 overnight, then went to bed. today I wake up to try to play it and after I load the game up, it's gotta install again? That no loading thing better be legit because lord almighty this is all the loading anybody should every need

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I got stuck in a grate during the fear multi-takedown tutorial. Couldn't move, couldn't leave the grate, couldn't do anything. Fortunately hitting restart only reverted me as far back as before I jumped in the grate and the second time I jumped in it went fine. My usual solution to that kind of problem is to fast travel somewhere though - is there fast travel in this game or are you just expected to Batmobile your way around?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

goddamn they rearranged all the controls, i keep trying to hit L1 to activate detective mode and that just summons the batmobile

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

So I'm increasingly glad I refunded my Steam preorder months ago and got this for PS4 instead. But regardless of whether the game works or not, I am very very bad at it. I mean, maybe it's because I haven't played an Arkham game in over a year but lord almighty, I am gettin' boned.

I did so badly at one Riddler challenge that he took pity on me and gave me a shortcut :negative: Riddler felt bad for me, that's how loving badly I'm doing at this game.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Kin posted:

What do you mean by shortcut? Because that's sounds cool.

It was a puzzle where, after having to launch myself out of the batmobile a few times, I had to get through a ring of spikes like the ones you line launcher'd your way through in City. I attempted to line launcher my way through and it just kept automatically killing me. In retrospect, I suppose it still wanted me to glide through them with a good launch but I was so sure that I needed to line launcher that I died several times. Then, after god knows how many deaths, when I respawned next to the Batmobile, there was a lit up green question mark button that hadn't been there before. Hitting it lowered the wall next to it and let me finish the puzzle. Riddler was very condescending about it but I guess at that point he had a right to be :downs:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I just did that one. You actually end up with too much air once you get through the tunnel and have to drop a fair bit to hit the last sensor :)

Yeah, like I said, in retrospect it probably wouldn't have even been that hard to do correctly. But I only realized I was supposed to just glide through the tunnel as I was typing the first post. Dear Rocksteady, don't include obstacles that have always had one and only one solution in the past if that isn't a viable solution now! I played Arkham City! The rotating tunnels of saw blades have ALWAYS meant "Line Launcher" in the past! And if I'm good enough to get into a position to use said line launcher and I've actually got a clear path through it, then loving let me do that! Don't have Batman just randomly let go of the goddamn line in the middle of the tunnel!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

They paid him. Vows aren't real, and Baker doesn't really compare to Hamill.

I thought Baker sounded great as a young Joker, before he really hit his stride. Hamill does sound better as Older Joker but that's probably because he's been playing Joker for so long that his voice has genuinely aged for it.

Hashy posted:

The Harley Quinn "Story Pack" is like 5 minutes long and terrible. Is the Scarecrow one any better? The code for that in my PS4 copy was already used and I'm trying to get it resolved but if it's as bad as Harley Quinn's 4 Room Romp I'll just forget it.

Yeah I was really loving disappointed with the Harley DLC. Especially since there's hints in the DLC that more interesting stuff is going on with Harley - She's talking to "Harleen" in her head, there's a couple of writings on the wall with her pseudo-detective vision that are along the lines of "What do I do now?", and she's afraid of Scarecrow (sort of interesting in and of itself since in the comics and the cartoon, she was one of the few people who got along great with Scarecrow) but otherwise not really interested in working with the other villains beyond killing Batman.

The Red Hood DLC is also awful, it's just two combat rooms and one stealth room, and the only story is "gently caress Black Mask".

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't seen any clips of this. How's that work out?

It's good, but there's only like two lines total of "Harleen" that I found. I could be missing some I guess. Basically she sounds more normal (no put on high pitched whine) and reminds Harley that Joker is very dead and she's tired of doing this stuff. Harley responds by threatening to get a lobotomy. Then they just drop the plot thread :sigh:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

evilmiera posted:

So his big plan is to basically nuke a quarter of the US, but then his big plan is to mess with Batman for a bit, but then his big plan is to just nuke Gotham, but when he's done that his big plan is to reveal to the world who Batman is after he catches his ward. When did Scarecrow become either a massive ditz or supercompetent or both? I mean what is he hoping to accomplish with this? The only motivation he's ever had as far as I remember is to experiment with his toxins and become rich from doing so, not gonna be a lot of money being made if he's basically wiped out the world economy from such a massive blow to the world . What is he hoping to do after he's done?

Scarecrow doesn't care about money. His research and his toxins are the only things he cares about. There's no end goal after "flood the entire eastern seaboard with toxin" unless it's "flood everywhere else with toxin".

This actually gets specifically brought up in the airship, in Simon Staggs audio logs. Stagg says that he would be willing to pay Crane outrageous amounts of money to work for him, for his chemical expertise alone, nevermind how much money could be made off his research, but Crane doesn't give even half a poo poo about money.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 25, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

But the Supervillain alliance are all dead broke. Riddler's obsession deteriorated to the point he hasn't done anything that isn't to do with trying to gently caress with Batman for years (and Scarecrow only asked that he try and pull his Riddle challenge the same night as Scarecrows stuff, he didn't ask for an investment), Penguin is down to one gun running organisation running out of Bludhaven as his entire enterprise, and Two Face has to go back to ripping off mob money.

I figured it was Stagg fronting the money.

I'd be highly surprised if any of the villains didn't have as much money squirreled away in offshore accounts as they could get. I'm sure any one of them could retire comfortably if their various psychoses allowed it. But it's always easier to just go rob a bank and immediately turn around and use that money than it is to dip into savings (especially when doing so might get them traced).

Where supervillains get their limitless supplies of cash is something I've always just accepted as handwaved away, in much the same way that I don't ask how Riddler built all those underground racetracks in under a year and nobody in Gotham noticed.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Metos posted:

Lazarus pit only works if you're dying, not if you're dead.

I don't think they ever said one way or another in the games, but in the comics the Lazarus Pit absolutely works if you're dead.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think anybody involved the in plan other than Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight knew that the bomb was meant to affect the entire eastern seaboard. I doubt even the other villains were in on the sheer scope of the plan, nor do I think they cared beyond "Batman's gonna die at some point".

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Hello friends. I finished the game and the Harley Quinn stuff, don't have the Red Hood stuff since I didn't preorder from Gamestop. I think it's good.

Is it just me or is the game harder? I got wrecked a few times by brutes, probably intentional. Everything seems to move faster too but this could be because I've spent almost the last year playing a poo poo ton of the last three games so I've gotten used to their timing.

Feels harder to me, especially when I wander into a group that's got like six different enemy types.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I had actually been spoiled on the subject so I can't tell if the scene felt off because I knew about what was happening or because there were genuine clues. I mean, in a game with Scarecrow as the main villain, you kind of can't take any bad thing that happens at face value. But... based on their past treatment of female characters, I was completely willing to believe that Rocksteady would off Barbara just for the drama and the "LOOK HOW GRIM AND MATURE OUR GAME IS, THIS IS WHY THE GAME IS RATED M" thing.

Now I haven't actually gotten to the point where the reveal happens because I've been dicking around doing a bajillion sidequests (I'M GONNA GET YOU PYG)That said, it's not really hard to figure out how Scarecrow knows what Batman saw under the effects of fear gas - he almost certainly rigged things to lead Batman to see exactly that. Barbara was probably genuinely in the room, genuinely under the effects of fear gas, and there may have been genuinely a gun in there. It was probably just loaded with blanks. Barbara wouldn't even have to actually try shooting herself for Batman to see that. He only has to know that she has a gun and hear the gun go off. It's only a matter of Scarecrow knowing what's most likely to scare Batman and if Scarecrow couldn't guess that, then he wouldn't be very loving good at his job.

Barbara helpless + gun + sound of gun firing = ? Bats isn't going to be afraid of Barbara firing the gun at him, especially with the glass in the way, so what's the only possible thing Barbara could do with the gun that would terrify him?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

This is probably going to sound crazy, but if anything I think the game could have used MORE Riddler stuff to do.

In Arkham City, there were 440 and yeah, that was a little much but with the size of the game, you were tripping over Riddler stuff on every building you walked across. Arkham Knight has half the Riddler stuff to do, but in a city that's like five times bigger. poo poo's hard to find and that makes it more frustrating.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I remember watching the Teen Titans cartoon when it was still on TV and drat did that poo poo get super dark whenever Slade showed up. Man that guy was such a dick. Somehow he is actually LESS of a dick in this gritty brooding video game than he was on the cartoon show.

edit: also under the mask he had a skull for a face instead of just a weird scarred face, and the skull had a scar on it somehow

that's because he died and went to hell

teen titans wasn't loving around

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Beef Chief posted:

If I seriously have to wait until November to buy the loving Red Hood DLC they can go gently caress a duck.

To be clear, the red hood DLC is pretty poopy

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't like the Deathstroke fight but it's hard for me to specifically define why. All of the things I don't like about it are things that I've been fine with in other boss fights or are things I understand to be basic facts of video game bosses. Like, my top complaint about the fight is how repetitive it feels (especially if you keep getting close to walls and you have to watch that loving readjusting animation over and over again) but I can fully acknowledge that Firefly is an equally repetitive boss fight and I loved the Firefly boss fight. And boss fights are usually repetitive anyway. Maybe it just bugs me that Deathstroke apparently can't dodge the Batclaw at all but common street thugs can.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

People from City unaccounted for:

Mad Hatter (DLC apparently????)
Ra's al-Ghul (DLC apparently????)
Talia (let's not pretend she stayed dead)
Black Mask

Black Mask is accounted for in the Red Hood DLC (so is Killer Moth, actually)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Alright, there's a Riddler trophy outside Panessa Studios that I'm too stupid to get - There's three question marks that need to be hit to unlock it and there's an electrified ceiling. I can EMP the ceiling to shut it off with the Batmobile, but doing that also shuts off the question marks. I can get a remote batarang up there and just hang out til the question marks come back on, but then I can only hit one of them that way and using the EMP again on the ceiling resets it. What am I doing wrong?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

:negative: I forgot about the line launcher after my insistence on using it for a challenge it wasn't meant for. I'm a loving idiot.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Jaypeeh posted:

Has anyone noticed that whenever Batman is talking to someone in one of the non-storyline missions like responding to a firefighter, He both looks and sounds like a weird robot? His whole body is stiff and with no animation other than lips moving he belches out some lines robotically. It's really weird and offputting.

He did that in every game and yes, it's extraordinarily creepy.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's really odd how every criminal in the Arkham series is treated like a murderous monster more or less. I remember there was a guy in City who was threatened by Hush into bleaching a trail or something and Batman roughs him up and starts snarling at him for lying about the person he's looking for looking like Bruce Wayne even though an earlier political prisoner said the same thing.

I think it's exceptionally telling how Batman throws the fire chief and Stagg into the same cell as the supervillains.

C'mon man, they're only criminals, you can't start treating them like they're people. :rolleyes:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Riddler is the real star of these games.

"Riddle me this: What's dead? YOU!"

He really is. I accidentally hit the water in the water treatment Riddler challenge and the death screen was "I did it? I DID IT?! Uh, I mean, of course I did it! There was never any doubt that I'd beat you :smug:"

Oh Eddie, you adorable dumb baby :3:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

RatHat posted:

So what's up with the green cop in the GCPD?

I smell a rat.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

In City he had a list of known informants in the Batcomputer. That highlighted all of them in green. I would assume he still keeps a running list by the time Knight rolls around.

It's still a little weird. If he knew exactly which cop was feeding Riddler information when the cops mention that they've known they've had a rat for awhile but couldn't find him, why is Bats only just now dealing with this? Eddie having an inside man on the GCPD is genuinely dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Do you use the activation code for it?

• Locked thread