Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MinibarMatchman posted:

are there going to be combat challenge maps where you can play with dual heroes?I've only seen it shown for story-based fights.

Nothing's been announced, but it's one of those things where they'd have to be crazy not to include it. Which they may very well be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

Its a quote from the Dark Knight. I just changed some words around.

Wanna know how I got these guesses as to the Arkham Knight's identity?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Phylodox posted:

The whole game is based on Batman mishearing some guy named Mark M. Knight's name.

Scarecrow's fear toxin makes Batman see an armored vigilante, when in real life Mark M. Knight is just a friendly tax accountant who's been trying to guide him out of the warzone to safely.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pierson posted:

EDIT: I've been hearing from friends the only part of this game that doesn't measure up might be the Batmobile itself. Any truth to this?

Literally every review of the game is explicity saying this. Great Batman game, probably the definitive Batman experience, Batmobile sections are repetitive and boring and they keep making you do them.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

it had a bug that would delete your save files and leave you permanently stuck underground with no way to get out except by starting a new game

Also you couldn't unlock all the fast travel points originally, because one of them was in a room that you couldn't enter. You could open the vent to enter, but the game didn't recognize it as a grappel point, so you just couldn't get to the room you needed to get to.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Hahah joke's on me but I'm still fairly sure that's Conroy.

It's still Conroy, but yeah, he's intentionally putting on a voice, for obvious reasons.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

evilmiera posted:

When did Scarecrow become either a massive ditz or supercompetent or both? I mean what is he hoping to accomplish with this? The only motivation he's ever had as far as I remember is to experiment with his toxins and become rich from doing so, not gonna be a lot of money being made if he's basically wiped out the world economy from such a massive blow to the world . What is he hoping to do after he's done?

Comic book villains, dude. poo poo, just within this single franchise, Scarecrow has been both a whiny-voiced dweeb and a grizzled visage of fear. His motivation is To Be A Bad Guy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kin posted:

Ok, so a quick one, if i'm looking at the overall map and i can see riddler challenge counters in the bottom left, they're counting the ones that should be remaining visible on my map right?

It's just i've got 5 listed down there for Miagani Island and none are are actually showing up on the map.

I've still got 7 to find on founders island, but my counters are all 0 for that and i've collected all the ones that were on the map.

Is it bugged or am i missing something?

No, they're counting the ones that should still exist in that place. They're invisible on the map itself unless you find a Riddler informant who will fill them in on the map for you. If there aren't as many things on the map as it says in that counter, it means you need to find more Riddler informants to reveal them. Or just find them yourself, of course.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kin posted:

Because this then makes my founders island seem screwey as it's telling me there are 0 left to find, but when looking in the riddler challenge section in the menu, it's saying i still need to find 8 including a breakable object.

It's what they're saying, yeah. Check in the subway and interiors. They're on separate maps, but they still count toward places on the checklist, if that makes sense.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Flytrap posted:

Other playable characters is definitely something that needs to be patched in at some point. Heck, the Batfamily all pretty much have the same movement options, we saw how Catwoman can move in City, and Harley could move around similar to her because of that concoction Ivy made for her.

Other characters and modes add replayablity Rocksteady, which leads to me not selling your game to Gamestop and letting someone else play it without giving you money.

Yeah, I loved freeroaming as Catwoman, and considering I love this game's portrayal of her much more than the last one, I'm even more disappointed there's not currently any challenge maps or freeroaming with her. Sounds like they'll add that down the line, possibly, maybe, but dammit, I want it now.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

wait, what? why? doesn't she just exist as a reason for you to complete the riddler missions? i haven't played past the first one because I don't hate myself so correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that unequivocally worse, even taking into account the... issues with her portrayal in city? at least she had some semblance of agency there rather than just being a macguffin, right?

Sure, but considering every single character in a Batman game exists to wait until Batman does the thing, I'm just happy that I'm not cringing every time she opens her mouth in this game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Beef Chief posted:

I would never blame anyone for not paying any attention to the character interactions in Injustice and he is in Arkham Origins for all of five minutes.

Well, he's also a playable character in challenge modes. They put a lot of work into him, though. He definitely doesn't reuse animations from any characters in Arkham City or anything, because that would be dumb.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

"Lucius. Save me some loving time and send me every gadget and upgrade that you have ready. I don't care if it need an extra 90 minutes worth of R&D, just loving send it now."

I mean seriously that guy must be working himself to death pumping this poo poo out in a single night.

The worst thing is ENDING SPOILERS he busts his rear end pumping out all these top-tier new gadgets. The disruptor and the second Batmobile are still prototypes at the start of the game. And then at the end of the game, his big thanks is Bruce Wayne exploding himself and ostensibly closing down the entire company, which I would imagine leaves Lucius out of a job.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Beef Chief posted:

Arkham Knight should've pulled off the mask and revealed himself as Troy Baker, that would've been a pretty cool twist.

"You can't stop me, Batman.

I'M EVERYWHERE"

And then instead of Joker clones, it's just thousands of mooks who are all played by Troy Baker.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

But... but Troy Baker IS the Joker.

My God. We're through the looking glass now, people.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Beef Chief posted:

Think about it, Troy Baker has voiced a character in almost every Batman game, only he could be so familiar with Batman to counter him at every turn!

He's played two different Robins just within this franchise, of course he'd be intimately knowledgeable about the Bat's tactics.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The fact that the twist itself is built upon the fact that Bruce is a human being and has the capability to be wrong despite being Batman makes it way less bad than it would be otherwise imo. Also, I don't think it's fair to call it bad if you're one of the people who knew what the twist would be going in because of how it plays out in the relevant comics. Batman cannot possibly have the same information that you, the outside observer, do because he's part of the story and you're not. Some people in this thread have been doing that and I just don't think it's really a fair judgment.

I just think it was a bad marketing call. They name the game after him, they plaster him all over the ads, they make him the center of the entire campaign for this game, naturally people are going to try and solve the very flat mystery while they're waiting months for the game to come out. If all we knew of the Knight before release was seeing him like standing behind Scarecrow in a trailer or something, just a little tease here and there, we wouldn't have had months to spoil it all and it might actually work.

Basically marketing is the worst and ruins everything. The game's marketing was detrimental to the story of the game itself. Maybe they were trying to do a misdirect so people would be talking about the Knight as opposed to certain other characters who make an appearance. I dunno. But I think a better ad campaign would have been to focus on the full campaign of "Oh man, it's all of Gotham, and all of Batman's worst enemies are on the loose!", but then that's pretty much exactly Arkham City.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Anybody on PS4 still not able to connect to leaderboards? I don't really care all that much but I figure there's something wrong because its a week after release and its still saying it can't connect to PSN. My connection to PSN is fine, I use it for other games without any problems.

I haven't been able to, nope. Which is bizarre since the most recent patch was apparently solely to fix the leaderboards.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

A lot of stuff feels kind of half assed. The Line Launcher feels like it doesn't need to be there.

Yeah, I think there's legitimately one time outside of a Riddler puzzle it's even useful, and then it's just to save you from having to grapple back up to the other side. Which ends up making the Riddler puzzle drat near impossible to figure out because it requires you to use a gadget you barely use, and a special feature on that gadget that has pretty much no other reason to exist.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Him and Dick both, honestly. But every decision WB Montreal and Rocksteady has made in this series has screamed "We like Batman better alone." There's always some convenience to keep all the allies at an arm's length. Except Catwoman for whatever reason.

Boobs. The reason is boobs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aquasnake posted:

People keep bringing up Camera changes in the Batmobile boss fights, but I can't remember a single one of these, I don't really remember any part where the camera was out of my control, and if it moves the just put it back, If you accidentally went to the wide angle Batmobile view just view change a few times until you go back to whichever mode you prefer. I will say the first person view is superior for any ceiling driving though.

Uh, no, the camera most definitely 100% pulls back super far in both the parts where you're being directly chased by the Excavator, as well as whenever you shoot the Cloudburst and it starts chasing you around the streets. It's not accidentally switching the view setting, it is moving the camera back into an even wider angle to show more of what's going on. It definitely happens in at least two separate occasions in the game, both of which have it happen during actions you need to do repeatedly, and there's no way to just keep the camera at a normal user setting for those points, outside of maybe doing it in first person mode. It didn't give me any trouble, but I distinctly remember both times it happened, because I thought "Man, this is gonna gently caress things up for a lot of people."

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Probably buying this on the PS4 today. I was going between this and The Witcher 3 but considering I'm 100% fiercely addicted to ESO right now I figured I'd grab this now and buy TW3 later on when I need another fantasy fix down the line. Anyway, I was wondering if I should know anything about the DLC situation before jumping in. Is there anything I should buy early or is it a play for a while then buy whatever appeals to you kind of deal. If anything I'd probably be mostly interested in skins because I actually only play games to dress up my dolls.

There's one free skin pack that's been released, and beyond that nobody knows, except that the season pass is like 30 bucks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

I must have driven/flown around Miagani Island a dozen times and I can't find the last Militia checkpoint. Is there one in a really obscure location there?

After that it'll just be the Riddler poo poo and the firemen before I've done all the non-main plot missions. I have a feeling I'm going to spend hours wandering around hoping to bump into fireman encounters. :(

Use your detective vision to look for big groups of thugs standing still, that'll help track them down. Also keep an ear out for helicopter chatter, sometimes they'll spot a group and radio it in, and you can pinpoint which heli is transmitting in detective mode, and then see where they're shining the spotlight.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aquasnake posted:

Anyone found a consistent way of hanging from the police helicopters? In detective vision is says they're a good place to hang, but you can't grapple to them while you're gliding, and if you just try to glide into them you get turned away, I think maybe one time I was able to grapple up to one from the roof of a building but I was just trying it again for several minutes and it didn't want to give it to me.

I managed to grapple onto one once. Only one time. If there's any special trick to it, I've yet to find it. I've tried it from the ground, I've tried it from the rooftops, I've tried it while gliding, but as far as I can tell, it's just hosed.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aquasnake posted:

Its a good vantage point for you to detective mode like, most of the island below you.

Yeah, if you're trying to track down, say, firefighters, you can just hang off a chopper and look below with detective mode until you see a large group of thugs standing around, or listen to what the helicopter radios in so you know what it's looking at. But considering how extremely difficult it is to latch on, you're better off just gliding around at high speed.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Took me forever to realize the REC could be used in place of an electric batarang for the explosive thug challenges. :downs:

Speaking of which, you keep all equipment in NG+ right? I'm thinking of just jumping into it a bit early and leaving the "dungeon" trophies (Knight's HQ, the blimps, etc) for the second run. Think I can just about manage an empty city but holy crap.

All equipment is kept, but not necessarily all the "upgrades" to them. So, for example, you have to activate the terminals to tilt the blimps and stuff like that, so there's still all the usual storyline gating.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, is it out?

Nope, they figured out how to get it enabled on the PC version, though. Apparently it's on-disc and is somehow supposed to tie in to your WBID account. Like everything else, it's apparently being held off on in order to discourage trade-ins.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

DarthBlingBling posted:

I believe that's always been the case with NG+ in Batman, thank gently caress.

Nothing better than hearing Riddler go "You'll never solve my riddles, Batman!" to "HOW ARE YOU SOLVING ALL MY RIDDLES, BATMAN?!?" in the space of a minute.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Speedball posted:

While I appreciate them making Scarecrow more visually scary his TV rants weren't quite the right touch.

You want to make him particularly spooky? Make it so that he somehow knows more about Batman than he knows himself. How much of the TV Scarecrow is real and how much is a hallucination?

Or trippy poo poo like Arkham Asylum's Visitor Room

The problem with him as a villain is that his power is to make Batman the villain. Like, his whole schtick as a villain requires him to step back everytime he does something to let the story focus on Batman's inner demons.

What they could have done is have Scarecrow work against Batman externally. Batman's untouchable, but his friends aren't. Subject Barbara and Gordon and Tim and everybody to their worst fears. Have them turn against Batman somehow. Basically what they did with the Arkham Knight, except not stupid. It even thematically ties in.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I feel like I remember hearing way back, like when they first introduced the dual fighting mechanic, that they were gonna include more stuff for other characters down the line. Although the shortness of the DLC so far doesn't give me huge hopes, but at least some more challenge maps or something, hopefully. It's pretty dumb that they give you skins for characters you literally can't even see once you've progressed far enough in the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

When they said it came with Batman Returns-inspired tracks, I thought they meant they were adding a couple of Danny Elfman songs to the soundtrack.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

redbackground posted:

I'd really like to see how they retrofitted it to contain the big-rear end passenger hold in the back, then.

I hope they don't, but they keep all the animations the same, so bad guys just hover in the air, rotate and then blink out of existence.

My gut still tells me you're only able to drive this Batmobile for those races because so far everything about the DLC has been disappointing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

redbackground posted:

There aren't any rumors/whatever about Batgirl skins, are there? I'm not saying that a 66 Batgirl skin would be the best thing buuuuuut

There was a leak mentioning skins that would be coming out, and Batgirl skins were definitely mentioned. I'm stunned that they're not coming out with this, though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

How on earth do you make Unity's launch in terms of fixes and PR look so much better

By being an even shittier publisher who doesn't know how to properly work with a dev studio, apparently.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

redbackground posted:

Those dead bodies hanging about really started cracking me up after awhile:

:scans:
two extra pinky toes!
3,245 possibilities :raise:
:scans:
and a wedding ring impacted in the butt!
492 possibilities :raise: :raise:

The sheer number of people with multiple and similar hosed up id marks was bizarre.

There's one where Batman scans in a tattoo or something that identifies him as a gang with like 6 members in it, and the number is still in the thousands.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I actually wouldn't have minded a series of missions where you play as different characters and let you freeroam as different characters, but it looks like we're just gonna get the usual singleplayer pack that takes about 4 minutes to complete.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, the game only points you to the REC gun near the end, but you can pick it up basically any time. The freeze grenade, however, is never required to get, you just have to notice it's there and pick it up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Replace the Batmobile with Batman riding on the back of Barbara's rocket-powered wheelchair.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

WHOOPS posted:

I can't believe the PS4 version of this game doesn't have a photo mode :(

Boy is this a timely post.

EDIT: Ah, beaten. But yeah, they're adding in photo mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't help but wonder why Batman gave the REC and Shock Gloves to the police.

Well, the shock gloves thing is just a nice handwave for why he's not using them in Asylum and City, I suppose. But the REC gun is apparently just there because they couldn't think of anywhere else to keep the REC gun?

• Locked thread