Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm not sure when it's going to happen because things keep coming up but I really want to start Major (my ~8 year old saint bernard/acd/??? mix) competing in nosework in the next year or so. UKC has started up a program and AKC is working on it so I'm hoping there might actually be some venues to play somewhat near me soon. Maj has travel issues so driving 3 hours to compete just isn't going to work for him. At this point he is strong on birch and has started on anise and can do indoor, outdoor, container and vehicle searches at home but we definitely need to take it on the road before actually get our pretrials done and compete.

Here's an old video of him doing a quick outdoor hide. Excuse my dumb "talking to dog" voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQsV27cEBQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Can I train pax to find things with his nose even though he is a mixed breed?

My dog is a mutt and he does nosework. If your dog has a nose he can find things with it. Are you thinking like tracking or nosework or just "where are my keys"?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I'd like him to learn how to track because I think it is cool.

I mean if he can find my keys as well that would be wonderful

There is a good tracking book called Try Tracking that lays out all the different exercises and online classes at the Fenzi Dog Sport Academy for both tracking and nosework. Tracking seems like a sport that might be better learned in person so you might want to look around and see if there is a tracking club near you that you can get involved with. There was a goon who did some tracking with her GSD but I don't think she posts here anymore.

Here is one way you can teach your dog to find your keys (or anything really). You could also treat it like a nosework scent and use this method. Instead of putting a scent in a tin and using that just use your keys or wallet or whatever.

• Locked thread