Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Instant Jellyfish posted:

There was a goon who did some tracking with her GSD but I don't think she posts here anymore.

That was probably me.

EXTREME INSERTION, do you know what type of tracking you are interested in? There are quite a few different styles and it's hard to suggest applicable resources without knowing where you wanna go with it. Do you want your dog to follow a foot step trail? find you in the woods? detect dead people? find a scent you've hidden? follow a blood trail?

Regarding book suggestions, my favorites are Scent and the Scenting Dog and Tracking From the Beginning. Detective Steve White's articles are really excellent as well if you're curious about police-style training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It sounds like you're mostly interested in trailing and scent discrimination - basically having the dog locate and identify the scent of a specific object or person. If that's the case books aimed at search and rescue handlers will probably give you the most bang for your buck. Also they're interesting as poo poo

The skills absolutely translate but you'd probably be better off starting him on the scent you want eventually want him to find. If your goal is to get him to find rabbits for you, you can get rabbit scent in a bottle pretty cheaply online or from hunting shops. To get him started on people scent, find the nastiest fuckin sock you've got and put it in a jug with distilled water (chlorinated water kills a lot of the bacteria that is an important part of the scent profile). Let that poo poo soak for a bit, pour the water into a jug of some sort, then squeeze some out on to a cotton ball/q tip/whatever and put it in a small jar with holes punched in the top. Then you give him a sniff of your groady sock and do scent line ups like you've been doing with a tea bag (make sure the other boxes also have identical jars with cotton balls too, trust me your dog will notice if you don't). Once he's got the idea that this scent is what produces his reward, you can start upping the difficulty by introducing other people's scent into your "dead" jars or by hiding the jars in more difficult locations. Not both at once - that's super hard and will probably confuse your poor dog.

The second part is playing hide and seek games. Get a buddy, have your dog sniff him, and have your friend hide from him with a toy in his pocket. Give your dog his search cue and let him go. In all likelihood the first couple times your dog will just kinda stumble onto your 'victim' without any real searching but after he realizes find the dude = PARTY TIME!! he'll start searching in earnest. Like with everything, start super easy (maybe just have them hide in another room) and gradually work up to more and more difficult problems.

That's just a super rough rundown, grab a SAR book and get searching!
Here's a more indepth look at how to use scent in a bottle as well as a rundown of another method of teaching a dog to follow a specific person's scent:
http://www.uspcak9.com/training/scent.html

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 8, 2015

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I realized why pax was having some trouble over the last few days. I was trying to get him to find stuff with multiple fans on high throughout the room.

Yeah that'll do it haha. Don't worry too much about being behind or whatever. Your dog's still basically a baby, you've got plenty of time. Scentwork is actually really popular with senior dogs both because it's a pretty instinctive behavior and because it's mentally and physically challenging but low impact.

Here's baby Vex doing scent pads

We're signed up for our first nosework class! Vex's leg problem is looking like a chronic issue which means schutzhund is unfortunately off the table for us. Kind of a bummer but nosework seems pretty fun and is one of the few sports that allows aggressive dogs so we're going to focus on that from here on out.

• Locked thread