Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Madden NFL 16
Release Date - August 26th, 2015
Platforms - PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360

Now that EA has kicked up the hype machine for Madden 16, let's get a new thread going. Noted TFF hero Odell Beckham Jr. is the cover boy this year, and his phenomenal catch against Dallas last year will play a big role in the improvements to the passing game this year.

Honestly, it just means when you play online, get used to being Moss'd like never before, and see alot of this:

Sarcasm aside, EA is really pushing a revamped passing game this year, which is focused on three approaches to catching the ball, using 3 different face buttons. YAC catches, Aggressive catches, and possession catches, with each offering different situational usages and advantages, with their own drawbacks as well.

They are also focusing on improving the interaction between a receiver, the defensive back, and the football. They have implemented new statistics for these positions, and are claiming over 400 new animations between this trio, including the ability to recreate the Fail Mary in glorious HD.

More on this system can be found here

Penalties! - Since the transition to Ignite, Penalties largely disappeared, and all we'd ever see get called is offsides, encroachment, or a facemask. This year, we can expect to start seeing alot more infuriating RNG penalties such as O/DPI, Chop Blocks, and Running into the Kicker. The claim is the penalties will occur at the average clip of 5 years of NFL data, but we'll see how that pans out.

Defense - EA really isn't pushing much about defense at all this year other than the Tackle Cone on Conservative Tackles has been cleaned up to avoid so many of suction tackles introduced last year. By all accounts, the defensive side of the ball will be mostly untouched, with just some improvements to make Contains more effective, and we can expect the exact same mechanics as last year. This is going to disappoint many, because EA was all about bringing the defense back last year, and we found all the ways to break it over our knees a week after the game was out.

The only real notable Defensive Improvement, which is quite nice, is the ability to do preplay adjustments by position, instead of manually clicking on to a defender. A nice Quality of Life improvement, but not a major overhaul to AI or any of the other issues we've come to see last year.

Franchise - Arguably one of the most popular game modes for goons is Connected Franchise. This year is offering many quality of life improvements to CFM, for both comissioners and users, that will hopefully make the experience even better. EA completely reinvented Franchise in M13, and has been building off that since. Some of the new improvements to CFM this year:

Dynamic Goals - While this system was in place last year, it was very unintuitive to view and confirm progress. This year, we'll be getting in game notifications of progress towards your weekly goal as a player (get 10 catches, throw 3 TDs and hit 350 yards, etc). This will show your XP gains, as well as Confidence adjustments in real time.

Speaking of Confidence, this system was implemented rather poorly last year, and was the result of many players getting cut down in their primes, and presented alot of unnatural team progression. In CFMs, both user and sims, it kept alot of bad teams bad, and made good teams overpowered. We're talking Eli Manning dropping 20 ovr points from 2014 to 2015, becoming unusable players, as well as skill players losing 20 points of speed from age 28 to 29. EA has promised to town down these effects for the year, so we'll see how that plays out.

Scouting and Drafting - EA has completely retooled scouting, and now we get by default, basic Combine measurements. This is a huge improvement, as we can see 40 times, Bench Press, etc, saving us from spending valuable points on things we should already know. Draft classes will again be randomized to avoid draft guides spoiling drafts. Lastly, but definitely not any less important, is we can get immediate feedback on a draft pick. No more quitting the draft, and logging back in to look at the draft board to see your rookie's stats. You'll get it right as you pick.

Small Market Owners - As we learned last year, small market or less successful teams got straight hosed in CFM. EA has claimed this will be fixed going into this year, keeping lower teams from entering Free Agency with negative 15 million dollars in their ledgers.

One mode that is sorely missed, is the ability to free practice with your squad. That's coming back, letting you play your team with no limits before games.

Commissioners will gain the ability to set wins for user teams before an advance if that user is MIA. While ripe for the possibility of hilarious abuse, this is a much needed feature to avoid crushing CPU losses for mid size leagues.

Lastly, EA has given us visual depth charts, similar to MUT's presentation, making setting these much more fluid. Evil as MUT can be, their depth chart solution is fantastic. Players will have player cards, giving all stats on one page, eliminating the huge Madden Spreadsheets we've become accustomed to.

Read more about Franchise here.

Legacy Fixes: As many of us have experienced over the last few years of Madden under the Ignite engine, the community at large has keyed on in a number of insufferable plays and formations that break the AI and give very hard to counter advantages. EA has claimed to take care of at least these below, while undoubtedly Madden School is hard on the case as soon as possible to find new ones!

-QB Spy logic updated (QB swerves the spy exploit)
-Flip the Play to speed up huddle break issue has been addressed
-Out of position subs causing exploitable routes has been addressed
-Rocket Catching / Mossing / DB Glitches have been significantly reduced and/or eliminated
-A large percentage of the known “nano-blitzes” have been removed
-The PA End Around exploit play has been addressed.
-Route swapping exploits have also been resolved.
-A variety of ‘money plays’ have been revised or altered.
-Resolved the friendly quit glitch for Madden NFL 16

Visual Presentation - Don't expect much of a different looking presentation in game, as videos and screenshots are showing a nearly identical UI to last year, even so far as the E3 video below showing the exact same transition effect used in M15 before a game loads up. Menus in CFM look a bit more streamlined, but we're still looking at the exact same goddamn shell this year as M25 and M15, which is a little disappointing.

And yes, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will be back to get their commentary disabled by users on launch day.

Draft Champions Mode - New for this year, this mode may gain a lot of steam in tournament play. A fusion of MUT and Franchise, you draft a squad of offensive and defensive players, and use that squad to complete a mini-season against other players online, or against a series of 4 CPU games leading to a Championship game. Drafts are held independently, so there is no coordination required, unlike CFM. The pool of players are real players, and you are limited to a selection of one of 3 players each round, so strategy counts! I see this becoming a popular mode if EA doesn't gently caress it up, for quick online games. More info here

Madden Ultimate Team - The game mode that emptied alot of our wallets the last few years is obviously back, and will probably be filled with even more money sinks, but EA hasn't posted any new details on it yet. Will update later.

MUT is an extremely fun game mode, but the key point to sell here after spending too much on it last year, is DONT BUY PACKS WITH MONEY. There isn't anything you can't get by playing the game, and if last year is a barometer, there are tons of ways to make coins and build teams without paying a cent, as many of the solo games offer pack rewards, high coin awards, players, etc. SA doesn't have much of a dedicated MUT community, but the guys at Reddit are probably your least offensive place to go for MUT content. The community can be that lovely, that, yes, Reddit is probably the most informative place for it.

Preorder Bonus - It's a Madden game, there's absolutely no need to preorder it. If you do, the only incentive is to get MUT packs. There are 3 versions,, with the bonuses below:

Standard - 59.99, preorder for 10 free Pro Packs in MUT, $15 USD
Deluxe - 69.99 Deluxe, get 36 Pro Packs and 1 Playmaker Pack
Super Deluxe - :siren:$99.99 USD:siren: This looks to be digital only, and is only viewable from PSN/Xbox Marketplace.40 Premium Packs, 1 Playmaker pack, and a Madden theme for your desktop.

Screenshots

Videos

New Catch Mechanics Explained
E3 Gameplay Trailer
Rookie Ratings Revealed - Watch rookies get mad about their ratings

I've probably missed a few things, and some content will be added as we go. Here's your thread for 2015-2016, where we will inevitably bitch about this game endlessly, and maybe enjoy it sometimes.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Reserved for goon league info.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

As long as it doesn't freeze loading into games I'll be happy. I haven't touched my PS4 in months because the only game I have for it is nigh unplayable.

Vaguely interested for the CFM changes as a whole, but I'm really excited about the scouting and drafting changes. Will probably still be a clusterfuck for human leagues as the sixth round gem goes 3rd overall because everyone's scouted everyone, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Excellent op

If the wr db interactions are decent then the defense should be what they advertised last year if they didn't tweak the run game which would lead to a fun game till everyone finds the exploits

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

All hail Odell Beckham Jr.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

jabro posted:

Were there weekly player goals in CCM? I never think I saw them.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 18, 2015

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

Were there weekly player goals in CCM? I never think I saw them.

there was, but it was a pain in the rear end to see them. you had to go to develop players from the first page of CFM, then goto goals, and then switch the tab to weekly. it was super unintuitive.

Some video has surfaced of a full game getting played at E3, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXLyYtb_dHQ.

All kinds of disgusting OBJ catches, and.a preview of the in game UI - absolutely nothing changed from last year except the QB walkout video screen. Same scorebar, same playcalling screens, as I called out in the OP.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
i feel like i'd play this more if they cleaned up the graphics and animations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Looks pretty terrible to be honest, I mean some of the animations were kind of cool but it's looking like this'll just be more of the same bullshit

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I wonder if the ai will take advantage of all the new wr db interaction stuff because it would be nice if I could rely on the ai to make a play in my franchise

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Dubious posted:

All kinds of disgusting OBJ catches, and.a preview of the in game UI - absolutely nothing changed from last year except the QB walkout video screen. Same scorebar, same playcalling screens, as I called out in the OP.
Wrong. There's a shitload of new ingame banners that were updated and/or created new but no we didn't completely redo the ingame stuff since we wanted to work on other bigger issues first.

Franchise has gotten so loving worked over hopefully you guys who play it a ton enjoy it because there was a ton of stupid things that were done in the past that were re-written.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

real_scud posted:

Wrong. There's a shitload of new ingame banners that were updated and/or created new but no we didn't completely redo the ingame stuff since we wanted to work on other bigger issues first.

Franchise has gotten so loving worked over hopefully you guys who play it a ton enjoy it because there was a ton of stupid things that were done in the past that were re-written.

is the E3 video final UI wise in game? All i noticed that was different was little cues after a catch, and so on. The animations outside of plays look tightened up as well. Just saw the scoreboard and playcalling look unchanged and was a bit disappointed.

Alot of us goons are looking forward to the franchise changes. The changes are very positive on paper, hopefully you guys fixed players falling off a cliff after one season.

Dubious fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 20, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dibs on Giants.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
.....Xbox One goon league? :(

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

89 posted:

Maybe a Joe Montana league?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

89 posted:

Sorry you bought the wrong console :(

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I had a PS4....then I traded it for a Xbone...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

real_scud posted:

:frogon:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Dubious posted:

is the E3 video final UI wise in game? All i noticed that was different was little cues after a catch, and so on. The animations outside of plays look tightened up as well. Just saw the scoreboard and playcalling look unchanged and was a bit disappointed.

Alot of us goons are looking forward to the franchise changes. The changes are very positive on paper, hopefully you guys fixed players falling off a cliff after one season.
I don't know about fixing players falling off a cliff, I'm just involved in the UI side of things so I know we did a ton of work in CFM making sure it wasn't complete garbage like it had been in years past. A lot of it was covered here: https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2015/madden-16-cfm but there's also a lot more under the hood changes to make the flow in the mode not so terrible. I think now you can get to most features with one click so you're not going into a screen only to have to go 2 levels deeper to get at whatever you want.

I didn't watch all of the gameplay video but I know we did add a bunch more banners that show stats and other things, and no we didn't really touch playcall this year since we did a complete overhaul last year and there was no real need to touch it again this year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just hope they bring back being able to asign DBs and LBs to TEs and WRs. I miss drafting corners to counter specific kinds of receivers.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

real_scud posted:

I don't know about fixing players falling off a cliff, I'm just involved in the UI side of things so I know we did a ton of work in CFM making sure it wasn't complete garbage like it had been in years past. A lot of it was covered here: https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2015/madden-16-cfm but there's also a lot more under the hood changes to make the flow in the mode not so terrible. I think now you can get to most features with one click so you're not going into a screen only to have to go 2 levels deeper to get at whatever you want.

I didn't watch all of the gameplay video but I know we did add a bunch more banners that show stats and other things, and no we didn't really touch playcall this year since we did a complete overhaul last year and there was no real need to touch it again this year.

Cool, i hated how deep things were buried.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl...20&sf38794522=1

Why do they keep comparing this to fantasy football? Without the aspect of there being things (IE player performance) that are out of your control it's nothing like fantasy football. Hell, we've had a fantasy draft for a few years now. I don't think it needed its own mode.

Dubious posted:

Cool, i hated how deep things were buried.

The last two items on that list are the most clearly damning examples of "holding easily patched things back for the next game" that I've ever seen. Both of those should have been fixed in the first content patch. They're value tweaks.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 20, 2015

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

real_scud posted:

Do teams still have that absolutely retarded, holdover roster mechanics from the late 90s whereas a team NEEDS one FB, two RBs instead of just three RBs? The Lines also require a set number of players per position, instead of just 5 OL and 5 DL, etc. That crap has gotten exhausting after two decades of playing Madden.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Darth Ballz posted:

Do teams still have that absolutely retarded, holdover roster mechanics from the late 90s whereas a team NEEDS one FB, two RBs instead of just three RBs? The Lines also require a set number of players per position, instead of just 5 OL and 5 DL, etc. That crap has gotten exhausting after two decades of playing Madden.

The worst is definitely the "you need X LE and REs" bullshit. No, I don't, If I want to have 3 monster LEs on my roster and play one on the right side, that's my prerogative. Technically speaking, I shouldn't have to have any roster minimums at all. If I wanted to have an OL of 5 punters, I should be allowed to. :mad:

Did they ever fix that bullshit last year where you could change a player's position, and his stats went to hell? That was a clever thing, but I always found it hilarious that if you switched him back he got even worse. :v:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxwwCk_7NDs

I like playing with Tebow in the 4th quarter :getin:

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I can't wait to run behind the beginning of the season Madden roster Cowboys line in goon season this year. Plus plug in Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory along my front four.

Hopefully the curve downward for older players in franchise isn't as large as it was in Madden 15. It sucked having to dump Romo after one year because he suddenly became an invalid with a 20 point drop in rating.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dubious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxwwCk_7NDs

I like playing with Tebow in the 4th quarter :getin:

Lol

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Watch this to see some rookies get disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAlCsvugCvE

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Mariota has 88 speed :getin:

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2015/madden-16-best-rookies

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Anyone know of any XBONE bundle packages with Madden worth getting? Or are all bundles just system and game without much fanfare?

Last year there were some decent trade in deals i..e 2x Madden 13 trade in value when using to Madden 14. Anything like that again?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The ratings are sneaking out and they have severely dropped Speed on RBs, and Deep Accuracy on QBs. I hope this isn't part of the attempt to fix some of the really lovely plays people abused last year.

Out of the top 5 OVR rated QBs, the best TAD is 80 (Aaron Rodgers). Luck, Brees, Brady and Big Ben average around a 72 TAD rating.

Jamaal Charles was given 92 speed, AP 90, Lynch 85.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Geno's gonna have a -10 deep throw accuracy rating.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dubious posted:

The ratings are sneaking out and they have severely dropped Speed on RBs, and Deep Accuracy on QBs. I hope this isn't part of the attempt to fix some of the really lovely plays people abused last year.

Out of the top 5 OVR rated QBs, the best TAD is 80 (Aaron Rodgers). Luck, Brees, Brady and Big Ben average around a 72 TAD rating.

Jamaal Charles was given 92 speed, AP 90, Lynch 85.

Good the deep ball needs to be less accurate.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

My offense!!!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
well we know where dave is pumping XP this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

davecrazy posted:

My offense!!!

I'm sure eli to obj will still be op

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

I'm sure eli to obj will still be op

Without a 6'6 98 throw power QB to gently caress it, going deep! to a 5'7 99 speed WR air raid I'm never going to move the ball.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I got Madden last year mostly because I got an intense desire to play football in the middle of this past spring and I've gotta say I'm really disappointed in it from how I remember it being even back in the early PS3/360 days, not the real heydays back on the PS2. The UI was a complete mess, the save game management was atrocious, the game would crash constantly, I would somehow get 8 sacks a game and Joe loving Webb threw for something like 29/30, 350 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INT on the Pathers against the Eagles. Then the next game Aaron Rodgers got hurt and MATT FLYNN lit me up for 500 yards with every pass getting caught. Every. Single. One.

I know our secondary is bad but that's loving ridiculous. Every QB shouldn't be completing something like 80% of his passes while I'm getting picked off left and right. I tried turning down the sliders but even with AI QB Accuracy hilarious low at like 20 Kirk Cousins was still the second coming of Peyton Manning. I eventually just ran LeSean McCoy up the middle on read option plays all the time for 5 yards a pop to burn clock because it was the only way to keep the CPU from getting the ball and funslinging it all over the place.

It honestly just seems really buggy and unpolished and it's really annoying there's no competition (not even NCAA!) to incentivize them to fix this stuff. The last version I bought before last year's was 2008 (or maybe 2009?) and it'll probably be another 6-7 years before I consider going near it again. Which is a shame, because if you could make a football game equivalent of The Show it'd probably be one of the greatest games ever.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 23, 2015

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Yeah, last year's Madden seemed amazing until I realized how terrible the CPU AI is. I'm not THAT great at Madden, I don't need to be getting cheesed by Madden with linebackers drat near teleporting 10 yards out in one second and 2nd and 3rd string QBs getting perfect passing ratings against the Seattle secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

axeil posted:

I got Madden last year mostly because I got an intense desire to play football in the middle of this past spring and I've gotta say I'm really disappointed in it from how I remember it being even back in the early PS3/360 days, not the real heydays back on the PS2. The UI was a complete mess, the save game management was atrocious, the game would crash constantly, I would somehow get 8 sacks a game and Joe loving Webb threw for something like 29/30, 350 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INT on the Pathers against the Eagles. Then the next game Aaron Rodgers got hurt and MATT FLYNN lit me up for 500 yards with every pass getting caught. Every. Single. One.

I know our secondary is bad but that's loving ridiculous. Every QB shouldn't be completing something like 80% of his passes while I'm getting picked off left and right. I tried turning down the sliders but even with AI QB Accuracy hilarious low at like 20 Kirk Cousins was still the second coming of Peyton Manning. I eventually just ran LeSean McCoy up the middle on read option plays all the time for 5 yards a pop to burn clock because it was the only way to keep the CPU from getting the ball and funslinging it all over the place.

It honestly just seems really buggy and unpolished and it's really annoying there's no competition (not even NCAA!) to incentivize them to fix this stuff. The last version I bought before last year's was 2008 (or maybe 2009?) and it'll probably be another 6-7 years before I consider going near it again. Which is a shame, because if you could make a football game equivalent of The Show it'd probably be one of the greatest games ever.

Last year's Madden at least made a decent step forward in the "Madden RPG" element - which is what basically stopped me from playing whatever one it was they introduced that poo poo on. Two big elements helped:

1) You no longer "have" to practice, and just assigning tasks for your team to do between games helped that immensely

2) That said, as soon as you figure out that you hoarde XP and just put their progression to 11, you break the game. Suddenly all your dudes are superstars.

But I agree, the real hayday of Madden was the PS2 era. I don't have interest in MUT, I just wanna play a few years worth of a dynasty here and there. I don't want to have to play practice just so my guys can get the XP to level up. Christ. The PS3 brought online for every game which while good in many cases, also brought about the doom of old wonderful play modes. MUT came with PS3, and I know a lot of y'all love UT modes, but I really wish EA didn't ignore Franchise/Dynasty poo poo. I understand exactly why they do it - MUT makes them money perpetually - it makes sense to focus on that. It just is frustrating that not only is dynasty mode ignored, they made it some RPG poo poo.

I *do* like being able to improve players where I want to improve them though so it's not a cut and dried thing.

• Locked thread