Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

it's because aligning your code like
code:
var foobar = 1;
var x      = 2;
var y      = 3;
is for mental children

anything that makes your information clearer is a positive, as long as it doesn't hinder anything else to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it adds more noise to diffs later when you have to realign poo poo

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

echinopsis posted:

anything that makes your information clearer is a positive, as long as it doesn't hinder anything else to do so

I definitely agree wtih this, esp. if you're new ro self taught or whatever (like a pharmacist on an island with 12 people and a hundred sheep) but:

Flat Daddy posted:

it adds more noise to diffs later when you have to realign poo poo

this also does become a pain in the rear end, but still, imvho, it makes things more readable. with perl this is esp. nice

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
idk aligning your code like that might have some small advantage but it's better to not gently caress around making it pretty and instead do actual work imo

that and the diffs thing mean it would be viable with elastic tabs (get the ide to handle it; poo poo like that is literally what ides are for) but is dumb otherwise

and as mentioned elastic tabs isn't always a good idea either so welp

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
just learn to read code like a non-retard. not that big a deal

sent from my nexus 7

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

KARMA! posted:

nah its cool

you're writing code, not laying poo poo out for print

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

who doesn't enjoy scrubbing their code to adjust the number of spaces whenever they change a variable name or have to refactor something.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

duTrieux. posted:

i say the little extra effort is worth it to make the code a litte bit more readable (by making it easier to scan/read through it)

tbh the ide should be doing this for me (and diff tools should be smarter and not care about superfluous whitespace) but since it cant ill have to do it myself and the person looking at the diffs needs to turn on the i-dont-care-about-whitespace option on :shrug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

what if its a programming textbook

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

what if its a programming textbook

then you need to do something useful, like figure out which animal is going on the cover

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

duTrieux. posted:

Readability isnt important if you're an ubermench like me *comments nothing, commits, checks out same code six months later* guhhhhh who wrote this I can't parse it!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

then you need to do something useful, like figure out which animal is going on the cover

:newlol:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i liek soft tabs, then everyone can display them however they like

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I use tabs to indent because tabs are for indenting.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Rahu posted:

This guy loving gets it

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bobbilljim posted:

i liek soft tabs, then everyone can display them however they like

That's actually not what soft tabs are

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lol if you don't manually type out \t all over the place

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rahu posted:

well we have this character that represents one level of indentation, and you've been able to change its width on the display pretty much forever

naw gently caress it let's insert an arbitrary number of spaces instead

is there a correlation between using spaces for indentation and freaking out if your code goes over 80 columns? "if i use tabs and somebody views this with 8-space tabstops, some of these lines will be like, 85 characters long and their VT-100 will wrap!"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Readability isnt important if you're an ubermench like me *comments nothing, commits, checks out same code six months later* guhhhhh who wrote this I can't parse it!

yes, there is no difference between readable and commented code and code where every character has been placed yby whacking off the space key

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

code with variable-width fonts so you don't spend a lot of time worrying about aligning every little loving thing

just get the indentation right and leave it at that

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

maniacdevnull posted:

That's actually not what soft tabs are

well i like whatever that is then

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you can't have hard tabs because people are too stupid to use tabs solely for indentation and will start checking in source where they used tabs for alignment

then everyone blames hard tabs and not the stupid people

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
of course hard tabs are correct. which do you think is right, hitting "tab" and getting a tab... or hitting "tab" and getting a bunch of things that aren't tabs

also, tabs are 8 characters wide. this is a natural constant, like the speed of light, even though a whole bunch of people in this day and age like to set their editor to show tabs incorrectly

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

lol if you don't use vertical tabs

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

ascii-11 supremacy

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

didnt read op or thread, but soft tabs are what non-spergs use if you dont want to deal with the bullshit of micromanaging hard tabs for indent and spaces for alignment.

soft tab supremacy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
soft tabs are a sign of mental disorder since they are so clearly inferior in every way. someone who uses soft tabs over hard tabs is guaranteed to be a bad programmer because they don't understand why hard tabs are superior.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

the world has spoken

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah most programmers are idiots

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

kiwid posted:

didnt read op or thread, but soft tabs are what non-spergs use if you dont want to deal with the bullshit of micromanaging hard tabs for indent and spaces for alignment.

soft tab supremacy

but its WRONG you see because your not using the character called tab with the key called tab and
:goonsay:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

kiwid posted:

the world has spoken

All the true hard tabsmen took one look at those hambugger buttons and turned 360 degrees outta that poll

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

kiwid posted:

the world has spoken

oh no pack it in guys, a scientifically valid poll that surveyed a representative sample fo the entirety of the world's population!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
according to this internet poll, ron paul will easily win the presidency in 2008 2012 2016

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Suspicious posted:

according to this internet poll, ron paul will easily win the presidency in 2008 2012 2016

look at this guy, still thinks it's ron paul. nah, bernie sanders for prez 2016

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
set your tab size to a single space, indent using four tabs, best of both worlds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
llo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qntm posted:

set your tab size to a single space, indent using four tabs, best of both worlds

monster

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I'm not even sure what the difference is so it can't be relevant

signed, mlmp

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qntm posted:

Add a script to automatically convert to this formatting on check-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a tab is a tab is a tab

• Locked thread