Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If you need a PC for non-gaming stuff then piling on some extra performance for gaming may well be cheaper than a console, plus the games are cheaper. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Quote-Unquote posted:

it is funny how pc gamers bitch about how games are dumbed down for consoles then immediately mod every single rpg that comes out to make it easier and/or have more paedophile anime poo poo in them

InvincibleMadHouse posted:

PC games are free if you want them to be :ssh:

Hey game developers spending millions of dollars making games, did you know that PC gamers don't give a poo poo about your product and they never pay for it?

Oh you did? And that's why you delay or outright skip releases, because PC gamers are killing gaming?

Lol.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yo just drop $1500 on a gaming pc and then get all ur games for free from Piratebay, checkmate xbox one.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i have a 1337 gaming machine because it keeps the youtubes and facebook fast

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

by Ralp
PC Master Race plays by its own categorical imperative.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hey game developers spending millions of dollars making games, did you know that PC gamers don't give a poo poo about your product and they never pay for it?

Oh you did? And that's why you delay or outright skip releases, because PC gamers are killing gaming?

Lol.

all the AAA games are full of free to play, online-only, DLC bullshit these days anyway, maybe they shouldn't spend so much money making games that they have to charge $80 and poo poo it up with DLC?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rutibex posted:

all the AAA games are full of free to play, online-only, DLC bullshit these days anyway, maybe they shouldn't spend so much money making games that they have to charge $80 and poo poo it up with DLC?

Lol, quit playing those lovely games and get a PS4 and play The Last of Us and GTA V, etc., dumbass.

"Waaah, ALL the food is full of salt and corn syrup and pink slime. Waaaah, the very concept of food is dying and I hate food!"

- you, an idiot who only eats at McDonalds

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PC gaming is cool if you aren't obsessed with videogames, buying awesome games from two years ago for $3-$5 on steam sale and playing them on max settings owns. If you gotta buy everything right when it comes out then I dunno.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

spud posted:

Yo just drop $1500 on a gaming pc and then get all ur games to never play because your drivers or video card can't handle it, checkmate xbox one.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
the computer is more expensive than the console but it's also more powerful and the games are cheaper unless you're a spaz that needs everything RIGHT NOW and can't just wait for a sale where everything is 50-75% off

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Rutibex posted:

fighting games mostly, you can't get marvel vs capcom 3 on PC. Fallout 3 and Skyrim too. my computer is pretty lovely and can't run anything newer than Quake 3 very well. i had not played any video games in years, so i bought a used pS3 for $100 and the games are $5 from a big bin. top shelf games, just you know old ones. i never played most of them so thats fine by me. i spent about $200 have more AAA Ps3 games to play than i could ever finish

a new computer would be at least $500, i'd pirate the games of course, but thats still more money than i spent on a used Ps3. console gaming is way cheaper than PC gaming if you dont give a poo poo about next gen (and I don't, lol all they did is increase the resolution the games are identical)

Same here. My desktop computer is 12yrs old and I have no reason to replace it. It's running Windows 7, runs office and gets on the interwebs. Usually we use one of the tablets or laptops in the house and imho playing games on a laptop sucks. I bought a used fat ps3 and have it running cfw, installed a 1tb drive, and using the 12yo pc to pirate the games for the ps3. Also have a modded wii with about 65 games that still get played from time to time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

:gas:

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
lol @ ppl with a 400 bux pc who spend countless hours tweaking .ini files and posting on forums about getting 20fps on low settings.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lol.

nonsense, PC games that are good still sell well. console gamers are still willing to shell out $60 for the latest lazy rear end :effort: iteration of Madden but its PC players' fault for some reason that the games don't sell well on PC.

Witcher 3 did excellent and it is totally DRM free. Cities: Skylines surpassed anyone's wildest expectations. Games that are good and reasonably priced sell well.

Quote-Unquote posted:

it is funny how pc gamers bitch about how games are dumbed down for consoles then immediately mod every single rpg that comes out to make it easier and/or have more paedophile anime poo poo in them

you mean immediately mod every single RPG to be punishingly stupidly difficult? any way 'dumbed down' has nothing to do with difficulty or modability and everything to do with 'streamlining' of features.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I have a PC that I built 5 years ago for... 600 bucks? that still runs everything fine

could probably use a better graphics card than a card that was mid--range 5 years ago

poor thing can't run everything at MAXXX 2COOL settings anymore

also should probably get a SSD for it

other than that I have a Wii U and a 3DS and there have been no games I wanted to play but couldn't (except Bloodborne which is probably coming in 6 months anyways let's be real)

it has become increasingly obvious that I really don't have to buy a PS4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

it has become increasingly obvious that I really don't have to buy a PS4

it'll be worth it in 2 years or so, maybe bundled with 3 games or something for a steep christmas price war. by then it should have a decent selection that isnt brand NEW $80+Day 1 DLC priced

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lol.

new games always leak on consoles first, and whatever you do to make a console piracy-ready now means that new games basically come pre-cracked. pc has to wait for a crack, and the games rarely leak before release.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Lol.

playing a pirated online game is virtually impossible so nobody gives a poo poo anymore dude, and console gamers are murdering gaming so how about this STFU lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

it'll be worth it in 2 years or so, maybe bundled with 3 games or something for a steep christmas price war. by then it should have a decent selection that isnt brand NEW $80+Day 1 DLC priced

Like I dunno man. If they manage to magic up some great games that I can't play anywhere else then sure.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Consoles - cheaper hardware, more expensive games
PC - cheaper games, more expensive hardware

I think it all equals out honestly. You can game on the cheap with either option. With PC use an inexpensive PC with a decent video card and wait for steam sales. With a console wait until the second half of the console generation and buy the console and the AAA games which are old at that point for cheap. Either option can also be really expensive. PC graphics whores who constantly need to have the latest video cards blow tons of money. And then you have the idiot console gamers who buy everything for $60-70 at launch, often without reading reviews first. Also keep in mind some console people buy really expensive TVs and sound systems that make high-end gaming PCs look cheap by comparison.

I don't play games that much these days. I sold my consoles a long time ago. Now I basically just have a PC for work that has a decent video card that can play games when I want to do that, usually when I can grab something cheap on Steam. That works for me because I don't think gaming is a particularly good way to spend my time or money.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 19, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When consoles had better games I was more into them.

Lately it's been overpriced garbage and Steam + more indy games have brought me back to PC.

Doesn't matter though someone just bought my gf a PS4 so best of both worlds really.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Let's also remember that PC gamers don't have to upgrade our hardware at all, because our aging PCs have better hardware in them than the new consoles. Anything that will run on an xbox one will run just as well on a decent gaming PC from 5 years ago, and will just look better and better the newer/most expensive the machine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Goatfather posted:

Let's also remember that PC gamers don't have to upgrade our hardware at all, because our aging PCs have better hardware in them than the new consoles. Anything that will run on an xbox one will run just as well on a decent gaming PC from 5 years ago, and will just look better and better the newer/most expensive the machine.

suck it moores law, we've plateaued!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Just play phone games then you don't need to buy either. You can shitpost on a phone as well, I'm doing it right now in fact

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Pretty sure I can't play Cities Skylines on a fuckin xbox.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zombie Boat posted:

Yo just drop $1500 on a gaming pc and then get all ur games to never play because your drivers or video card can't handle it*, checkmate xbox one.

*If you are a loving retard.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Quote-Unquote posted:

speak for yourself, dumbass

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Rutibex posted:

fighting games mostly, you can't get marvel vs capcom 3 on PC.

This is pretty much the only fighting game of the last 10 years that isn't on pc. It's also terrible.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
personally my favorite is when one minor component of the console like say the DVD drive on my xbox 360 (and the original coincidentally enough) breaks because it is a piece of poo poo and I basically have to just buy a new one because the cost of repair is 3/4ths the cost of a new one and it won't ever work right again anyway

whereas on the PC you can just pull that one part and get a different one. 15 years ago yeah it was kind of a bitch (but still easy) but now it's super easy and basically everything is plug-n-play

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

personally my favorite is when one minor component of the console like say the DVD drive on my xbox 360 (and the original coincidentally enough) breaks because it is a piece of poo poo and I basically have to just buy a new one because the cost of repair is 3/4ths the cost of a new one and it won't ever work right again anyway

whereas on the PC you can just pull that one part and get a different one. 15 years ago yeah it was kind of a bitch (but still easy) but now it's super easy and basically everything is plug-n-play

If anything happens to the blu-ray drive in a PS3 you may as well just chuck the console. That individual drive is basically paired to the console and there's no way to swap it. You can try to pull the drive apart and repair it, but that's a bitch where you'll be messing with lots of tiny parts. It makes pulling apart a desktop PC or even a laptop PC look simple by comparison. I had to replace the laser in my PS3 blu-ray drive and that was much harder than any desktop or laptop repair or upgrade I've ever done. Yes I repaired it. And the repair worked, but I spent the whole time angry and frustrated because taking the thing apart was hard and it was clearly not designed to be taken apart and worked on.

If your optical drive on PC goes bad, you chuck it, buy a new one for 30 bucks, and it takes two minutes to swap it out.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 19, 2015

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i actually heat my home by runnign furmark on my sli gtx titans ,so its actaully very cost effecttive.

owend nerds

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
This game is currently $2.49 on steam holy poo poo suck it console tards, gonna be playin' Goat Simulator all the way to the bank...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265930/

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

texaholic posted:

This game is currently $2.49 on steam holy poo poo suck it console tards, gonna be playin' Goat Simulator all the way to the bank...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265930/

tbf Goat Simulator is a bit of a gimmick but 2.50 is a fair price for said gimmick

Cities Skylines will destroy anyone, though - it taps that Civilization effect where you keep going "gonna try just one more thing" and five minutes later it's 3AM

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Quote-Unquote posted:

The "dumbed down" thing generally refers to making the interface and game more playable from an "on the couch" distance, which means when you're sitting at your desk with a nice resolution monitor it looks like big shiny buttons and an empty gameworld. Try playing some space 4x from your couch and a wireless keyboard, it's loving awful if you need to read anything or click precisely.

Also idk what games are made easier with mods but the big offenders for weird anime bullshit mods are Bethseda games which are typically modded to add stupid spergy difficulty, not remove it

Lol.

Haven't pirated a single game with one exception (GFWL required and the last GFWL game I bought chucked my ownership key into the abyss) since Steam became a thing actually, PC gaming owns

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 20, 2015

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
More people should be posting their rigs and their desktop areas because thats not dumb

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lol, quit playing those lovely games and get a PS4 and play The Last of Us and GTA V, etc., dumbass.

"Waaah, ALL the food is full of salt and corn syrup and pink slime. Waaaah, the very concept of food is dying and I hate food!"

- you, an idiot who only eats at McDonalds

dumbass, console gaming IS the mcdonalds. all the advantageous qualities of console gaming are shared with the advantageous qualities of mcdonalds

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

dumbass, console gaming IS the mcdonalds. all the advantageous qualities of console gaming are shared with the advantageous qualities of mcdonalds

its all just a dumb waste of time in the end you dumb little dweeb

literally anything else is a better use of time, and i play a ton of video games. the best and depest video game ever is still mcdonalds. Mcdonalds vs mcdonalds, who cares?

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

can you guys build me a decent enough pc with a budget of $800 thanks

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fonzarelli posted:

its all just a dumb waste of time in the end you dumb little dweeb

literally anything else is a better use of time, and i play a ton of video games. the best and depest video game ever is still mcdonalds. Mcdonalds vs mcdonalds, who cares?

Counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Prof. Lurker posted:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

can you guys build me a decent enough pc with a budget of $800 thanks

Read this thread's OP(s) and ask these fine gentlegoons:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266

• Locked thread