Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Thumbtacks posted:

Honestly there are going to be enough DRKs that even DPS queues won't be a problem.

you should get a tank friend anyway because 99% of those drks are going to be garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

HelloPlatypus posted:

Tell me I'm pretty.

potato master race

Hellioning posted:

My planned dragondemon:

Am I as bad at making characters as I am at taking screenshots?

not really.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Velthice posted:

you should get a tank friend anyway because 99% of those drks are going to be garbage

Their friend, in all likelihood, is going to be one of those garbage DRKs, but that's OK because of the power of friendship.

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q
I'd take consistent garbage over rolling the dice with duty finder.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

My plan to check out healing in FFXIV and get caught up to Heavensward ended on level 35. At least I'll be in a prime position to heal all these DRK tanks.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Still can't decide if I'm going to go DRK immediately or stay DRG or WAR.

On the one hand, DRK is flashy, and I just crafted a full set of gear for them, and I'm a sucker for gothic plate (Which the AF set for it seems to be), but WAR remains the giant axe master race, and DRG is just... Fitting for this expansion.

I guess I still have three hours to figure it out. I wish I could sleep :smith:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For anyone who hasn't gotten it yet, you can still get Heavensward from GreenManGaming for 25% off ($30).

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

More Catgirls

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Velthice posted:

I'm all for believing in people, but there's going to be a huge amount of people who have never tanked in their life, and they're being told to make heads or tails out of more than a dozen abilities the first time they hit that queue button. It's going to be bad.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Have they talked about cross class yet? I'm wondering what will be CC for DRK. I'd guess just defensive cooldowns...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Thumbtacks posted:

Have they talked about cross class yet? I'm wondering what will be CC for DRK. I'd guess just defensive cooldowns...

mrd and gld

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I think I'm going to unlock DRK ASAP and level that up. I've never played a tank before but I've seen PRO takns before and they run forward and grab 5 packs of mobs so I guess I'll do that, this'll be AWESOME. :haw:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The first actually good looking cattegirle in this thread!!

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Alectai posted:

Still can't decide if I'm going to go DRK immediately or stay DRG or WAR.

On the one hand, DRK is flashy, and I just crafted a full set of gear for them, and I'm a sucker for gothic plate (Which the AF set for it seems to be), but WAR remains the giant axe master race, and DRG is just... Fitting for this expansion.

I guess I still have three hours to figure it out. I wish I could sleep :smith:

I'm probably going to go grab DRK shortly after logging in and then work on unlocking swiftcast so I can get better at not-yet-a-WHM, On the other hand...all those DRKs in duty finder and having played WAR almost all the time is going to cause hell on my sanity. :stonk:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The only way to not get stuck with a terrible DRK is to become the DRK and do your best.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Thumbtacks posted:

The only way to not get stuck with a terrible DRK is to become the DRK and do your best.

Oh believe me, I fully intend to do that and even more...bad reputation be damned.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

DrDork posted:

For anyone who hasn't gotten it yet, you can still get Heavensward from GreenManGaming for 25% off ($30).

If only I had $25.....

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

I thought I had better pictures than this. Wish I had a picture of my warrior since it's the only one I actually have lot of glamours on.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
RIP ARR

16th August, 2013:

Ul'dah dance party!

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 19, 2015

Nana Bo Bana
Jul 15, 2014

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

Okay.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
lol, I resubbed literally the first day it was possible to still get the welcome back gearset. So should I play BRD, BLM or WHM for starting Heavensward?

I am literally incapable of making weighty decisions like this on my own.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I don't have Heavensward, I don't have playtime, and my old WoW guild and a WoW bud are moving to a new private server.

:shepicide:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I don't have Heavensward, I don't have playtime, and my old WoW guild and a WoW bud are moving to a new private server.

:shepicide:

Sorry for your loss.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
In anticipation of all the garbage first time tank DRKs, I've looked up what you need to know to help them out. If you're in such a group, here is the phrase you need to use:

"spam Unleash more please :^)"

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

{Please draw enmity.} {Unleash} {Do you have it?} {Please use it.}

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

psymonkey posted:

In anticipation of all the garbage first time tank DRKs, I've looked up what you need to know to help them out. If you're in such a group, here is the phrase you need to use:

"spam Unleash more please :^)"

the gently caress you tell me to do

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Niton posted:

I'm all for believing in people, but there's going to be a huge amount of people who have never tanked in their life, and they're being told to make heads or tails out of more than a dozen abilities the first time they hit that queue button. It's going to be bad.

There have always been bad tanks, this just increases the odds of getting one.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
wonder if we'll see DPS in need for LLDR.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I still say it's fun to go back into the older threads and see just how goddamn far we've come. Especially the old 1.0 threads, full of despair.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353297 - original retail thread, the dawn begins to break on page 62.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433215 - Yoshi-era 1.0, ends when the servers go down.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516878 - the transition, beta, and launch 2.0 thread. Watching people realize the game is good in this thread is just :allears:-inducing.

Now, of course, we get to fill the current thread with talk of bad DRKs and fracture. :v: So far, yet still so near~

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Can someone explain to me, as a relative newbie, why Fracture is a thing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Internet, that's why.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tolth posted:

It exists to trigger Belzac.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tolth posted:

Back before we had the tools we have now there was a lot of debate on if you should use fracture or not as a mnk or a drg and there were a lot of dumb arguments based on nonsense because of this.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SpaceDrake posted:

I still say it's fun to go back into the older threads and see just how goddamn far we've come. Especially the old 1.0 threads, full of despair.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353297 - original retail thread, the dawn begins to break on page 62.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433215 - Yoshi-era 1.0, ends when the servers go down.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516878 - the transition, beta, and launch 2.0 thread. Watching people realize the game is good in this thread is just :allears:-inducing.

Now, of course, we get to fill the current thread with talk of bad DRKs and fracture. :v: So far, yet still so near~

I wasn't around until a few months after the ARR launch, so it's fascinating reading threads from the transitional period between 1.0 and 2.0.

How did the Legacy program work? 1.0 and ARR seems so different I'd assume it was something more complicated than just your character and all of your stuff being ported over, right?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Unguided posted:

There have always been bad tanks, this just increases the odds of getting one.

My first time ever in a dungeon, I had a tank who never used Flash for the entire instance. Miraculously we pulled through because I drew the most enmity as an Archer so I could just keep running around, and the healer was top-notch. Simultaneously a negative and positive first impression.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tolth posted:

Because Cure can't crit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rincewind posted:

How did the Legacy program work? 1.0 and ARR seems so different I'd assume it was something more complicated than just your character and all of your stuff being ported over, right?
All your poo poo carried over. So you come in at the beginning of the 2.0 MSQ with a bunch of 50s you don't know how to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Tolth posted:

Real answer: I missed whatever the big shitstorm was that made it a "thing", but here's what I imagine was the argument. Basically it's a 220 potency dot without the trait, which puts it just on the bubble of being worth your time to use. On Warrior you get a trait eventually that turns it into a 300 potency dot which is.. still pretty bad, but worth using if you're a Warrior. Personally I usually work it in after my maim combo.

• Locked thread