Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
On July 14th, after a nine and a half year journey, the New Horizons space probe will make its first fly by of Pluto, giving us our first ever glimpse of what the dwarf planet.

It's already giving us the clearest pictures we've ever had of Pluto:

So are we gonna get excited or are we gonna gently caress this up by whining about how NASA's largesse is an affront to all the world's poor and needy? :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Does pluto have a moon? I didn't know that.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
With the money this cost we could have fed every poverty stricken child in the world for at least 4 days.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

EvilGenius posted:

With the money this cost we could have fed every poverty stricken child in the world for at least 4 days.

I doubt that, but, nevertheless, our only chance of surviving as a species is space exploration. We have to expand our horizons or die.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

EvilGenius posted:

Good point. If we just kill all the poor kids, we could be sending out a new kick rear end probe every four days.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
looks a little lopsided

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

EvilGenius posted:

ahaha ahahahaha ahahahah ahahahaha.

there will always be starving children. there will always be war, famine and death. and only with the global wealth disparity can you even afford to post this poo poo using a computer and internet connection.
but go on raging against the machine.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i thought this was about Girl.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
waste of time theres nothing there its not even a planet anymore because its so poo poo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

pumped for these google map style photos

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Nasa.gov posted:

Total Cost: About $700 million (including spacecraft and instrument development, launch vehicle, mission operations, data analysis, and education/public outreach)

The F-35 is estimated at 1.5 trillion dollars and practically tailor-made to dramatically overrun on costs. This poo poo went to Pluto for less than half.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Do It Once Right posted:

The F-35 is estimated at 1.5 trillion dollars and practically tailor-made to dramatically overrun on costs. This poo poo went to Pluto for less than half.

Uh how am I going to bomb people with pictures of Pluto genius

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

Uh how am I going to bomb people with pictures of Pluto genius

How the gently caress is the F-35 going to bomb anyone anytime in the next 10 years?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
You guys ever read that book "The Dark Beyond the Stars"?

That's what's going to happen to us.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

And then on day 5 they'll be hungry again.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blurred posted:

So are we gonna get excited or are we gonna gently caress this up by whining about how NASA's largesse is an affront to all the world's poor and needy? :dance:

Did you realize that the breakroom at NASA has a FRIDGE in it?!

THE loving HUBRIS OF IT ALL!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
If you want NASA back vote Hillary 2016

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

SweetKarma posted:

It has five that we know of. I remember my science teacher, Mr. Overlin, announcing the discovery of the first one to us in class at the beginning of the year. He was pretty stoked that something that cool had been discovered, and announced with confidence that we would find other bodies out there, that were at least as large as Pluto. This was in 1978.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Do It Once Right posted:

Your math is a little off. This poo poo went to Pluto for less than 0.05%.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

SweetKarma posted:

charon is large enough relative to pluto that the center of gravity between the two bodies is a point between the two, which means that pluto orbits a point outside of itself

woooo the sssolar system ooooowns

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Mr. Pumroy posted:

charon is large enough relative to pluto that the center of gravity between the two bodies is a point between the two, which means that pluto orbits a point outside of itself

woooo the sssolar system ooooowns

This is why you can't be a planet anymore, Pluto.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Elukka posted:

Your math is a little off. This poo poo went to Pluto for less than 0.05%.

holy poo poo, I read trillion as billion.

Yeah, I'm 110% pro-NASA. If NASA wants a 20 million dollar ping pong tournament, I'm okay with that.

On a nostalgic note, I got to hear a keynote speech years ago from Steve Squyres (who led up NASA's mars rover program), and the stuff they managed to accomplish with their budget was loving amazing. It exceeded all expectations 10 times over. NASA knows how to get poo poo done for cheap.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
I say rename the place Bluto.
Then it would come out and stomp our probes.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Universe Master posted:

This is why you can't be a planet anymore, Pluto.

Do It Once Right posted:

holy poo poo, I read trillion as billion.

Yeah, I'm 110% pro-NASA. If NASA wants a 20 million dollar ping pong tournament, I'm okay with that.

On a nostalgic note, I got to hear a keynote speech years ago from Steve Squyres (who led up NASA's mars rover program), and the stuff they managed to accomplish with their budget was loving amazing. It exceeded all expectations 10 times over. NASA knows how to get poo poo done for cheap.

probably as most people will give their right bollock to work there. It is amazing how that increases efficiency.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Pluto and Charon are one face to each other and pretty close. In theory you could run a cable from one to the other.
Stephen Baxter wrote a story that used this idea but the cables were living matter.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zimboe posted:

Pluto and Charon are one face to each other and pretty close. In theory you could run a cable from one to the other.
Stephen Baxter wrote a story that used this idea but the cables were living matter.

stephen baxter is a loving nerd who doesn't know how to write people or interesting characters but his short stories are okay

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i guess its fine if it taking some parting shots on the way out of the solar system, but this probe better have photoed something important, like Jupiter or whatever before hand. sending a probe to photo pluto on its own is a waste of good money, and i love space

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Neurosis posted:

stephen baxter is a loving nerd who doesn't know how to write people or interesting characters but his short stories are okay

Agreed.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Not the speech about the Mars Rover that I saw, nor as exciting, but good nonetheless. Also, I'm now very impatient to see Pluto so I hope re-watching old Mars Rover vids can hold me over for a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJ_xZ1kjiA

Bill Nye makes an appearance late in the presentation.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Neurosis posted:

yeah i agree but i go into his books cos i know this ideas are going to be excellent, once your expectations are calibrated he's cool.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Do It Once Right posted:

So what you're saying is we could scrap the F-35 and we could have fed the kids for nearly ten days. Or at least get some nicer food in for 4, like maybe duck instead of chicken.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

And then on day 5 they'll be hungry again.

This guy gets it.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

So what you're saying is we could scrap the F-35 and we could have fed the kids for nearly ten days. Or at least get some nicer food in for 4, like maybe duck instead of chicken.

I fully and shamefully admit my bad math - The pluto probe is about to accomplish its scientific goal for less than 0.5% of the cost of a jet that still doesn't work, can't fly, bursts into flame, has firmware which won't fire its ordinance, a helmet which suffocates its pilot, cannot endure lightning(lol), needs a special runway to take off of so it doesn't melt the asphaltic concrete, and a million other problems.

With savvy logistics, every child on earth could probably be fed until adulthood if the F-35 didn't exist.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

genesplicer posted:

It has five that we know of. I remember my science teacher, Mr. Overlin, announcing the discovery of the first one to us in class at the beginning of the year. He was pretty stoked that something that cool had been discovered, and announced with confidence that we would find other bodies out there, that were at least as large as Pluto. This was in 1978.

dude owned

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Pluto is cool and all but they should be investigating the planet Jupiter where the dead are resurrected and an interstellar garden of eden is hidden behind a veil of storms and gas

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would have drawn some smudgy pics of a white blob for only 350million.

NASA are idiots.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Do It Once Right posted:

I fully and shamefully admit my bad math - The pluto probe is about to accomplish its scientific goal for less than 0.5% of the cost of a jet that still doesn't work, can't fly, bursts into flame, has firmware which won't fire its ordinance, a helmet which suffocates its pilot, cannot endure lightning(lol), needs a special runway to take off of so it doesn't melt the asphaltic concrete, and a million other problems.

With savvy logistics, every child on earth could probably be fed until adulthood if the F-35 didn't exist.

OR we could send a probe to Alpha Centauri.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Hell, for that price let's send three.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

The thermic energy in 1.5 trillion dollarbills would be enough* to send a Moon sized colonyship to AC on a reasonable timescale.

*give or take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

spud posted:

I would have drawn some smudgy pics of a white blob for only 350million.

NASA are idiots.

No poo poo, us spuds are like rocket scientists compared to those idiots.

• Locked thread