Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
All this hype but Pluto will probably be a dead and unremarkable dwarf planet world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im glad pluto is not a planet, because it isnt

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

spasticColon posted:

All this hype but Pluto will probably be a dead and unremarkable dwarf planet world.
nah, its definitely got some odd color splotches on it
should be more interesting looking than ceres

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

JazzFlight posted:

nah, its definitely got some odd color splotches on it
should be more interesting looking than ceres

not when they find out those bright spots are abandoned glass domes

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

spasticColon posted:

i think they're more interested in looking at the moons

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

spasticColon posted:

As dead and unremarkable as your sense of wonder?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I wish we'd go to titan its supposed to be lovely this time of year

Also want a high res pic of those hot nekkid sirens

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Who's a cute little fucker? You are, Pluto!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Germstore posted:

not when they find out those bright spots are abandoned glass domes

Glass domes and CERESIAN PYRAMIDS.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

a pimple on an acne scarred face

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Normal Adult Human posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Space Exploration real Hahahaha Nigga Just Feed Some Babies Like Nigga Cast Your Eyes Earthwards Haha

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Sammus posted:

Glass domes and CERESIAN PYRAMIDS.

That's an awful weird thing to call a pyramid

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

General Tofu posted:

It's actually a soccer stadium built by the ceresians in advance of the 2034 FIFA world cup

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

General Tofu posted:

I'm sorry the ancient aliens didn't factor 20,000 years of erosion into the plans for their fueling stations.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

22 more days until we make contact with that Spathi Eluder.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
a tiny little tit on a giant space boob is what i call it

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Latest pic from 27.7 million kms away:

Think we're starting to see some pretty clear hints of surface features on Pluto now, or at least some light and dark patches. Hopefully this means that the surface will be interesting to look at and study, and not just some undifferentiated, cratered grey rock. I also like this picture because it gives a pretty clear indication of how much darker Charon is than Pluto, another indication that we're actually going to visit two quite different worlds, not just one. If the origins of Pluto and Charon are quite different, that should lead to some more interesting science on the origin of these bodies and of the solar system in general - but perhaps some more cosmology / geology minded goons can comment more intelligently on this point.

21 days, 23 hours, 48 minutes to go. :dance:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Blurred posted:

Latest pic from 27.7 million kms away:

Think we're starting to see some pretty clear hints of surface features on Pluto now, or at least some light and dark patches. Hopefully this means that the surface will be interesting to look at and study, and not just some undifferentiated, cratered grey rock. I also like this picture because it gives a pretty clear indication of how much darker Charon is than Pluto, another indication that we're actually going to visit two quite different worlds, not just one. If the origins of Pluto and Charon are quite different, that should lead to some more interesting science on the origin of these bodies and of the solar system in general - but perhaps some more cosmology / geology minded goons can comment more intelligently on this point.

21 days, 23 hours, 48 minutes to go. :dance:

username post combo

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

opus111 posted:

username post combo

Lmao

I can't wait to finally look at the last planetoid thing in our solar system. Rip probes everywhere

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was wary of googling "titan probe" but the results were mostly sfw

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

im glad pluto is not a planet, because it isnt

find out it's actually an egg

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pluto is actually a fully operational alien battlestation

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
*dwarf alien battlestation

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
two outta four aint bad

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

The first one :holymoley:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

very prescient, almost spooky

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

SweetKarma posted:

Does pluto have a moon? I didn't know that.

Pluto has five

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
They think Pluto has a faint ring system too. Everything orbiting Pluto is more interesting than Pluto itself. :pluto:

edit: I think I remember reading somewhere that scientists are predicting that Pluto will probably look a lot like Neptune's moon Triton. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks won't we?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 23, 2015

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

time travel works the same way

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Do It Once Right posted:

I fully and shamefully admit my bad math - The pluto probe is about to accomplish its scientific goal for less than 0.5% of the cost of a jet that still doesn't work, can't fly, bursts into flame, has firmware which won't fire its ordinance, a helmet which suffocates its pilot, cannot endure lightning(lol), needs a special runway to take off of so it doesn't melt the asphaltic concrete, and a million other problems.

With savvy logistics, every child on earth could probably be fed until adulthood if the F-35 didn't exist.

The total cost of building a Standford Torus space habitat that would be capable of housing 10,000 residents and be a milestone for further exploring, colonization, and exploitation of the solar system was to be an optimistic $43.1 billion in 1975-1977 dollars. In 2015 dollars, that's $169 billion dollars.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EvilGenius posted:

With the money this cost we could have fed every poverty stricken child in the world for at least 4 days.

Or they could have, y'know, gotten off their asses and fed themselves.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

SweetKarma posted:

Does pluto have a moon? I didn't know that.

It's called Charon, but in reality it's a Mass Effect Relay totally encased in ice.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Young Freud posted:

The total cost of building a Standford Torus space habitat that would be capable of housing 10,000 residents and be a milestone for further exploring, colonization, and exploitation of the solar system was to be an optimistic $43.1 billion in 1975-1977 dollars. In 2015 dollars, that's $169 billion dollars.

so 10 f-35s?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SweetKarma posted:

You guys ever read that book "The Dark Beyond the Stars"?

That's what's going to happen to us.

Holy poo poo someone else has read that book??

loving tight. And agreed.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

fakeaccount posted:

heh yeah

and how would they do that

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

fakeaccount posted:

just fyi you have 20 minutes to answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Why is space exploration always the one thing that gets compared to fixing the world?

What about like ice cream

How many millions could be fed for all the money spent on manufacturing ice cream and ice cream product development? We do a billion things that are not fixing the world but unless it's space exploration nobody's arguing that we should stop doing them because of that.

• Locked thread