Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Elukka posted:

How many millions could be fed for all the money spent on manufacturing ice cream and ice cream product development?

gently caress you, ice cream is delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
What if we gave starving children an f-35

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if the starving children want food maybe they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, like i did

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Processed pic w/ colour:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2015/06230439-new-horizons-update.html

:dance:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

owns

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AzodTPG5U

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Welp

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
That brave little probe will be the harbinger of doom when it awakens the plutonians from stasis and they hear all the mean nasty things us humans have said about Pluto not being a real planet.

They'll switch off the artificial gravity and send Charon speeding across the solar system on a crash course with Earth.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

H.H posted:

ahaha ahahahaha ahahahah ahahahaha.

there will always be starving children. there will always be war, famine and death. and only with the global wealth disparity can you even afford to post this poo poo using a computer and internet connection.
but go on raging against the machine.

Reminds me of NPR today reporting on the weather currently in Pakistan. It is hot. Real hot.
Much like the typical summer in Pakistan.

But they made certain to blame it on global warming.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

ENHANCE...

:stare:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Didn't realize we would find that mass relay in my lifetime

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fog Tripper posted:

Reminds me of NPR today reporting on the weather currently in Pakistan. It is hot. Real hot.
Much like the typical summer in Pakistan.

But they made certain to blame it on global warming.

Ha! How silly, Global Warming's not happening!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

s'cool

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I hear the Plutonians are fun gis

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Do It Once Right posted:

How the gently caress is the F-35 going to bomb anyone anytime in the next 10 years?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
good dog

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Blurred posted:

On July 14th, after a nine and a half year journey, the New Horizons space probe will make its first fly by of Pluto, giving us our first ever glimpse of what the dwarf planet.

It's already giving us the clearest pictures we've ever had of Pluto:

So are we gonna get excited or are we gonna gently caress this up by whining about how NASA's largesse is an affront to all the world's poor and needy? :dance:

op how much time has been spent probing ur anus lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jackyl posted:

hahahahahahhaahhahahhahahahahaha

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

jackyl posted:

just the one flyby in 86

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Okay I'm starting to believe the hype but why does Charon look so dark and foreboding?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

That brave little probe will be the harbinger of doom when it awakens the plutonians from stasis and they hear all the mean nasty things us humans have said about Pluto not being a real planet.

They'll switch off the artificial gravity and send Charon speeding across the solar system on a crash course with Earth.

Nah, they're all too busy filing their taxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sun_Makers

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
What an incredible waste of money.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress the poor, space owns.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tony Homo posted:

What an incredible waste of money.

lol

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Elukka posted:

Why is space exploration always the one thing that gets compared to fixing the world?

As far as I can tell it's because people think that the money is loaded onto the rockets and fired into space, rather then spent right here on Earth.

I blame home schooling.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Frankenstyle posted:

As far as I can tell it's because people think that the money is loaded onto the rockets and fired into space, rather then spent right here on Earth.

I blame home schooling.

It serves no purpose. Tell me exactly how this mission did anything for us. Be specific.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Tony Homo posted:

It serves no purpose. Tell me exactly how this mission did anything for us. Be specific.

It employed hundreds of people who spent their salaries on a large number of local businesses, stimulating the economy and contributing in part to relief efforts the world over.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Also it's loving cool. Specifically.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tony Homo posted:

it will still be flying through space long after your forgotten bones have been reduced to dust.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Lawman 0 posted:

it will still be flying through space long after your forgotten bones have been reduced to dust.

So what. It gave jobs but towards what? It's like giving jobs towards no good purpose. May as well paid a bunch of people to fold paper airplanes out of paper then paid people to burn said paper planes.

Lookie. Here's a big chunk of rock floating in space.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

it created jobs but they are the Bad Kind Of Jobs

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Yes, somebody please tell us what good this mission to Pluto, which is still in transit and hasn't even reached its destination yet, has accomplished so far.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i am really angry that we are learning more about outer space, we should not learn about space

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't do anything for you because you're prob. specifically dead inside.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Do It Once Right posted:

holy poo poo, I read trillion as billion.

Yeah, I'm 110% pro-NASA. If NASA wants a 20 million dollar ping pong tournament, I'm okay with that.

On a nostalgic note, I got to hear a keynote speech years ago from Steve Squyres (who led up NASA's mars rover program), and the stuff they managed to accomplish with their budget was loving amazing. It exceeded all expectations 10 times over. NASA knows how to get poo poo done for cheap.
Well it's a bit more complicatedly budget-wise. Current political climate (thanks in large part to republicans who loving hate NASA) means that NASA can't have many of the actual scientists/engineers on their payroll as the current rate in private would be easily 120-250k/yr and the public has poo poo a brick when the media goes on about "guvmint employees making 6 figures!?!?! NOT IN MY COUNTRY"

However, there's no political-problem in making GBS threads out a lot of funding to defence contractors and often what happens is they'll tell a company, say SGT Inc., to hire [x] person who will all the government clearance just like a NASA employee and effectively is but they get paid ~100-200k/yr through the company. And then there is usually a direct labor multiplier of 2-4 so they then rebill the government for 200k-800k/yr for that employee to work, so it pretty much costs the government a lot more to do this but its the only politically tenable route. This gets funded through different budgets so it looks like NASA's direct labor budget is piss poor (which it is)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 24, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Parallax Scroll posted:

i am really angry that we are learning more about outer space, we should not learn about space

I'll have you know that learning and science are for idiot fuckers

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Tony Homo posted:

So what. It gave jobs but towards what? It's like giving jobs towards no good purpose. May as well paid a bunch of people to fold paper airplanes out of paper then paid people to burn said paper planes.

Lookie. Here's a big chunk of rock floating in space.

i too am mentally retarded

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

memy posted:

What if we gave starving children an f-35

You cant euthanize starving children you monster.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Our probe desecrating their sacred sky will piss of the Plutonians, but do not fear they will not attack us because they will decide the money is better spent feeding Pluto's children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

cmndstab posted:

It employed hundreds of people who spent their salaries on a large number of local businesses, stimulating the economy and contributing in part to relief efforts the world over.

lol if you don't hoard and scrimp every cent

• Locked thread