Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That is true, but we as a species I think is still destined to die out and we will do so on this planet. All of our achievements someday will be lost and no one will know about them. That sounds depressing as hell, but it's just a fact of the universe or some poo poo.

So why not just die and destroy everything now since it'll all go to naught anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

So why not just die and destroy everything now since it'll all go to naught anyways.

OTOH why?

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
"Why not give up" isn't much of an argument against the pointlessness of everything. It's not an argument about what to do, it's just a description of how things are. Ultimately, you will die and everyone who ever mattered to you will also cease to exist and shortly after, no one will remember you who you were, what you love and what drives you, or even care to know.

If you're struggling with this I recommend the Everest thread. Or more time looking at the rest of the universe (like these awesome photos of Pluto we're all about to enjoy).

Also my boner is dwarfing this planet right now.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Page Downfall posted:

"Why not give up" isn't much of an argument against the pointlessness of everything. It's not an argument about what to do, it's just a description of how things are. Ultimately, you will die and everyone who ever mattered to you will also cease to exist and shortly after, no one will remember you who you were, what you love and what drives you, or even care to know.

If you're struggling with this I recommend the Everest thread. Or more time looking at the rest of the universe (like these awesome photos of Pluto we're all about to enjoy).

Also my boner is dwarfing this planet right now.

has your boner cleared the neighborhood around its orbit?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im going to jack it to photos of pluto and its moons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

im going to jack it to photos of pluto and its moons

:eyepop:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I could take a better picture with my phone and they spent how much hurling bits of the earth off into space?

Wanamingo posted:

Your phone can't take a picture and then upload it to a server that's several billion miles away

Also your phone was probably not built a decade ago with 20-year-old technology

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Maybe we should figure out how to shrink space. How're we suppose to get anywhere when space is so loving big.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

:f5:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

so if we're seeing charon orbit like that from the probe's perspective i guess the planet system is tilted on its side towards the sun? neat i didn't know that

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm embarrassed and concerned by the number of care lords in this thread who think space is actually real and not fake/gay.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

pluto the planet in space

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

pluto the planet in space

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Can't tell if that's an extremely slow UFO or an extremely fast moon

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Latest unprocessed pic:

Some very clear surface features on both bodies now. Too early to make any predictions about what we might be seeing, but it's encouraging to know that these won't be barren, featureless worlds. Should also stress that all these unprocessed pics will be black and white until New Horizons gets much closer to Pluto, but Pluto in actuality is a reddish colour.

Also interesting is this processed pic of Charon. It has a large, dark spot on its northern pole, so is starting to give off a bit of a death star vibe:

And here is a picture of an African child, starving and left to die by NASA and its greedy plutocrats:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thats a potplant

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

show the african child the cool photos of pluto, he will understand

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone add some herbs and spices to this pot

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Something that's been bothering me for a while; since the Pluto-Charon barycenter lies outside both bodies, what happens if say a spacecraft attempts to fly through the barycenter? Does it get crushed or something?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Something that's been bothering me for a while; since the Pluto-Charon barycenter lies outside both bodies, what happens if say a spacecraft attempts to fly through the barycenter? Does it get crushed or something?

Nothing particularly unusual but the barycenter is really close to Pluto's surface, so your path would probably get a bit deflected.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how long is the next flyby? or where does the orbit go after it zooms past? it comes back to pluto, right?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ill make the website

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Looks like :eng99:

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
12 days until the flyby! The Earth's poor remain malnourished!

toggle posted:

how long is the next flyby? or where does the orbit go after it zooms past? it comes back to pluto, right?

Unfortunately not. The mission was basically a choice between a shorter journey and a quick flyby, and a long journey and the possibility of getting the spacecraft into orbit around Pluto. They opted for the former, which means that the spacecraft is moving much too quickly to fall into an orbit. The entire surface of Pluto and Charon will still be mapped, but the highest resolution mapping will only be possible on whichever sides of Charon and Pluto are facing the spacecraft when it makes its closest pass of the system.

After that they're hoping to use the spacecraft to explore other trans-Neptunian objects. At the moment they've identified three possible Kuiper belt objects that they'd be hoping to reach by 2018-19, but it's yet to be decided which they'll visit. (wiki link). Unfortunately the other dwarf planets beyond Pluto (Eris, Sedna etc.) aren't accessible.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The last 9.5 days are going to feel longer than the last 9.5 years

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It'll zoom past at a delta-v of 13km/s so there's no chance of capture. Any intercept orbit that allowed capture would either have to be terribly slow - a Hohmann transfer to Pluto would take more than 100 years. Or use so much fuel that the mission would cost billions - to come to a stop from 13km/s would require a rocket consisting out of 95% fuel, and to launch that rocket to Pluto you'd need to load that on top of another rocket that also consists out of 95% fuel.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Charon is starting to look more and more like the Death Star. :tinfoil:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i have this feeling of incredible destruction, like we're about to learn something terrible about ourselves

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i have this feeling of incredible destruction, like we're about to learn something terrible about ourselves

look in the mirror lol

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Just occurred to me, what is that spacecraft using for fuel?

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
plutonium

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stugazi posted:

atoms

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Stugazi posted:

Food for starving kids.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Stugazi posted:

http://energy.gov/ne/articles/new-horizons-mission-powered-space-radioisotope-power-systems

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Food for starving kids.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

appropriate

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

A bary center is just the center of mass. Every two objects has a barycenter. Also gravity is not strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
wow who gives a gently caress about an ice cube in space we need to be working on getting a really old guy w/ drool probs elected president come on goons

• Locked thread