Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

With the money this cost we could have fed every poverty stricken child in the world for at least 4 days.

Nasa.gov posted:

Total Cost: About $700 million (including spacecraft and instrument development, launch vehicle, mission operations, data analysis, and education/public outreach)

The F-35 is estimated at 1.5 trillion dollars and practically tailor-made to dramatically overrun on costs. This poo poo went to Pluto for less than half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

Uh how am I going to bomb people with pictures of Pluto genius

How the gently caress is the F-35 going to bomb anyone anytime in the next 10 years?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Elukka posted:

Your math is a little off. This poo poo went to Pluto for less than 0.05%.

holy poo poo, I read trillion as billion.

Yeah, I'm 110% pro-NASA. If NASA wants a 20 million dollar ping pong tournament, I'm okay with that.

On a nostalgic note, I got to hear a keynote speech years ago from Steve Squyres (who led up NASA's mars rover program), and the stuff they managed to accomplish with their budget was loving amazing. It exceeded all expectations 10 times over. NASA knows how to get poo poo done for cheap.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Not the speech about the Mars Rover that I saw, nor as exciting, but good nonetheless. Also, I'm now very impatient to see Pluto so I hope re-watching old Mars Rover vids can hold me over for a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJ_xZ1kjiA

Bill Nye makes an appearance late in the presentation.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

So what you're saying is we could scrap the F-35 and we could have fed the kids for nearly ten days. Or at least get some nicer food in for 4, like maybe duck instead of chicken.

I fully and shamefully admit my bad math - The pluto probe is about to accomplish its scientific goal for less than 0.5% of the cost of a jet that still doesn't work, can't fly, bursts into flame, has firmware which won't fire its ordinance, a helmet which suffocates its pilot, cannot endure lightning(lol), needs a special runway to take off of so it doesn't melt the asphaltic concrete, and a million other problems.

With savvy logistics, every child on earth could probably be fed until adulthood if the F-35 didn't exist.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

OR we could send a probe to Alpha Centauri.

Hell, for that price let's send three.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

22 more days until we make contact with that Spathi Eluder.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Yes, somebody please tell us what good this mission to Pluto, which is still in transit and hasn't even reached its destination yet, has accomplished so far.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The Guardian posted:

“Full recovery is expected to take from one to several days,” Nasa said. “New Horizons will be temporarily unable to collect science data during that time.”

It's not just the communication. It's the whole data gathering operation. : :(:

A thousand NASA engineer nerds involved in this project and eager for hot science groupie girls to throw themselves at them for a night of successful interplanetary exploration sex are crying out in anguish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

khwarezm posted:

are we there yet

I swear to God, I will pull this probe over and you'll regret it.

Do you want me to turn this probe around and go home?
Do you? Because I will

• Locked thread