Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

IIRC you can pick the type of Pikmin to throw somehow. Hold A to prep your throw, then switch with the D-Pad, I think? I want to say it's up/down to pick within a color (Leaf/Flower/Bombrock/whatever) and left/right to switch between colors. You can tell which type you have selected by the Pikmin icon at the bottom of your UI, and also by the color of your in-world target cursor.

You don't have to separate the whole group every time you want to throw a specific type is the gist here.

This wasn't a thing until Pikmin 2, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Walliard posted:

Yeah, if you'll notice, the game shows you at the bottom what kind of pikmin you have on hand, and it's always whichever pikmin is standing closest. When she runs through the group, it'll flip Yellow/Bomb/Yellow/Red really fast. :v:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Theoretically they should be safe in they're in the spaceship/onion area... But I usually don't leave that to chance, for reasons you just demonstrated.

I was the guy that mentioned whistling while moving. It is good to do, cause some later enemies require you to very quickly call your pikmin back before they get squished. Even whistling when you don't need to while running around just to build the reflex helps so you can sweep the battlefield to get everyone out of harm's way.

Then again, Everyone wants to watch your pikmin die, so :v:

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Walliard posted:

Really? Is the game playable without that? Going from later Pikmins to the first one must be jarring.

I don't know if it counts as spoilers, but how strict/generous is the 30 days time limit in Pikmin 1?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Markovnikov posted:

I don't know if it counts as spoilers, but how strict/generous is the 30 days time limit in Pikmin 1?

From what I remember, pretty tight if you want to 100% it, all the gaming magazines back then were grumbling over it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Markovnikov posted:

I highly doubt Fae will get all 30 parts in the 30 day timeframe.

Keep trying your best, though, Fae! :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Olimar's gonna need a looooot of tape and bubblegum.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Markovnikov posted:

Really? Is the game playable without that? Going from later Pikmins to the first one must be jarring.

Getting all 30 parts is a very strict time limit, but getting only the 25 you need to actually beat the game is not too difficult. The game is absolutely designed around playing through it two or three times to get all 30 parts, though, using your knowledge from previous playthroughs to streamline your run. I believe the current record for getting all 30 parts is only 13 days, so streamlining is absolutely a thing you can do a lot of.

I'm going to be a bit of a hands-on co-commentator here because I'd very much like to see Fae get as many parts as possible and we aren't playing this game twice.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

From what I remember, pretty tight if you want to 100% it, all the gaming magazines back then were grumbling over it.

In my experience, it's not hard to do on a second playthrough (And I straight up failed to get the mandatory 25 on my first). I've never heard of anyone getting all 30 in the first playthrough without already knowing the game mechanics though - Learning curve adds a lot of wasted time to your days.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speaking of things that are horrible if you think about them too long.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Squeal for me, squeal like a peeling out tire.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

I was going to tell you about leaving the pikmin in the ground longer to let them bud and flower, but I guess you already know that! What you might not know, though, is that you can leave them in the ground overnight. They're safe there until you pick them, and the time overnight will give them time to mature.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

KillerEggplant posted:

I was going to tell you about leaving the pikmin in the ground longer to let them bud and flower, but I guess you already know that! What you might not know, though, is that you can leave them in the ground overnight. They're safe there until you pick them, and the time overnight will give them time to mature.

This does, however, come at the cost of having to spend the time picking them the next day, as opposed to just picking them now, while waiting for sundown with nothing better to do.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

This does, however, come at the cost of having to spend the time picking them the next day, as opposed to just picking them now, while waiting for sundown with nothing better to do.

Fair point. It might save you a little time during the day, though, since flower pikmin move faster.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
["no story or gameplay spoilers", come on -fedule]

Again without spoileryness:

It's no fair to actually lie to Fae about their safety, Pikmin aren't as safe from enemies when left alone as was stated in the video. Don't let go of your paranoia, Fae! Check the radar and the Total Pikmin in Field number to make sure you're not suffering unaccounted losses.

Faylone fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 17, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Faylone posted:

So Many Spoilers

This entire post is spoilers, this is a spoiler free thread, please remove them.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 5 - A Productive Day

Sorry this one is a touch late, I was away with my girlfriend until Thursday and was far too tired to remember to upload anything when I got back! But I do have good news! Since gnome and I still have a fair bit of backlog, and the ability to record on a very regular basis, there will now be two updates a week! So look forward to that!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yay for two updates a week!

Also, it looks like there was some kind of little hole at the bottom of one of those cliff faces. I don't know exactly where, but I think it was close to base? Wonder what that's about.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

So this came up (in a sense) towards the end of the video, but Red Pikmin are actually better fighters than Yellow. This is one of the major things that sets them apart from the other variants: they deal double the damage of other Pikmin, and are in fact stronger so they're more capable of breaking down walls and other destructibles.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Materant posted:

So this came up (in a sense) towards the end of the video, but Red Pikmin are actually better fighters than Yellow. This is one of the major things that sets them apart from the other variants: they deal double the damage of other Pikmin, and are in fact stronger so they're more capable of breaking down walls and other destructibles.

On the other hand they're boring and lack big floppy ears that let them fly through the air.

Actually now that I think on it, either pikmin are really light for their size or olimar has one hell of a throwing arm. I mean he one hand chucks things half his body size at least 2-3 times his body height in length. And he can sustain doing this rapidly indefinitely.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually now that I think on it, either pikmin are really light for their size or olimar has one hell of a throwing arm. I mean he one hand chucks things half his body size at least 2-3 times his body height in length. And he can sustain doing this rapidly indefinitely.

Well, he's very small, and thanks to the square-cube law*, he's going to seem much stronger than a normal-sized human even if he has identical but proportionally smaller muscles. I'm pretty sure that an actual scaled down human would be throwing much further.

*strength ~ length^2, weight ~ length^3, so as things get smaller, strength decreases slower than weight, and that's why fleas can jump 100 times their body size and ants can carry leaves 10 times their own size, and also in reverse it's why elephants have to have loving massive legs compared to similarly-shaped smaller mammals.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, Olimar is totally the sort of person who'd buy a gimmicky power throwing arm cybernetic power assist for his arm.

His exploration rocket has a weapon that can destroy stars and KEEP GOING.
That, or it's a neutrino beam that doesn't do anything but can pass through stars.

Either is possible with Olimar.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I like that Olimar's end of day report says the 38 Pikmin were "lost in battle".
Way to sugar coat the truth there Olimar.

I realize this is super old, but I only found the thread now.
Anyway, the death count screen is more detailed in Pikmin 2 and 3, which will be nice to see when we get there.

Hopefully the careless leadership of Captain Olimar will improve as we progress. (Either way, you're probably doing better than I did my first time playing Pikmin)

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

gnome7 posted:

Getting all 30 parts is a very strict time limit, but getting only the 25 you need to actually beat the game is not too difficult. The game is absolutely designed around playing through it two or three times to get all 30 parts, though, using your knowledge from previous playthroughs to streamline your run. I believe the current record for getting all 30 parts is only 13 days, so streamlining is absolutely a thing you can do a lot of.

I'm going to be a bit of a hands-on co-commentator here because I'd very much like to see Fae get as many parts as possible and we aren't playing this game twice.

I would call it strict-ish. It's hard to do when you're learning poo poo, but once you've got a handle on it getting all the parts in like 20, 21 days isn't totally unthinkable. I think the speedrun record might be 11...

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It's actually down to 6 days now. :stare:

I thought it was 7, and I just googled it to double check. That's actually pretty insane.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tyty posted:

It's actually down to 6 days now. :stare:

I thought it was 7, and I just googled it to double check. That's actually pretty insane.

Last I remembered it was at like 12 days for the speedrun, cutting it down to 6 is just bonkers. There is absolutely no way to actually improve upon that either, that's literally spending only one day per area.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I would call it strict-ish. It's hard to do when you're learning poo poo, but once you've got a handle on it getting all the parts in like 20, 21 days isn't totally unthinkable. I think the speedrun record might be 11...

Yeah, I think on my second playthrough I got 29 of the parts by day 23 or so, it isn't bad at all after you've had a learning run.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I know I promised two updates this week and I haven't really done that, but fear not, dear watcher! Tomorrow, you will have two videos in one update! From then on, I will update every Tuesday and every Friday, since gnome and I have enough of a backlog to do that, and nobody wants this LP to last 30 weeks!

Seriously though, we just finished recording day 11 a couple of hours ago, we are very far ahead of the posted videos!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Double post and :siren:Double Update:siren:!

Episode 6 - Olimar Is Very Disappointed
Episode 7 - Herding Kittens

Enjoy, friends!

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
So hey, I know you guys have recorded well ahead of this, but here's a hot pro tip for not losing half of your pikmin on bridges and ramps and the like. Before you start crossing the bridge, use your right stick to swarm your pikmin away from it and keep them there (don't let go of the stick). Then, while you start crossing the bridge, swarm them over the bridge in front of you. They should tend to bunch up into a tight cluster and you should only leave a couple behind instead of dozens.

Honestly, as far as the first game is concerned the most reliable way to make sure that your pikmin go where you want to is to not let them do much of anything on their own. In the sequels you can let them be more autonomous, but the first game's AI and pathfinding can be so wonky that I generally found it a lot less frustrating to charge them all around myself rather than let them try to navigate anything. It can be a little tedious, but it's a lot less irritating than trying to do a no casualty run and having to restart a day because goddammit how the hell did you end up in the middle of the water we didn't even go anywhere near the pond what is wrong with you.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Did I miss it, or did neither of you make a reference to farming Pikmin at the impact site :colbert:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

You can actually see the Squad tick down from 24 to 23 on the last frames, presumably because you dropped down that cliff for no reason.

Some of the game audio still sounds really off by the way, though I guess without knowing how it sounds on console you wouldn't notice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Herding cats is very much as difficult as the saying. I was once tasked with feeding a friend's cats when he was on holiday. They wandered out the front door. Getting them back in again was awful. And that's with only two of them!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
And with the blues unlocked, the world is Fae's oyster. There is nothing in Pikmin that she cannot do mechanically, she just needs to unlock all the areas.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
a great way to get around corners with out losing pikmin is to use the CStick to swing them around the corners or make them run into walls so the dont fall of ramps and what not, What im saying is C Stick Good. use it all the time.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Don't worry, that's a thing I figure out at the beginning of the next recording session, the C-stick is a friend to all, especially Pikmin who do not want to be immolated

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Panboy posted:

use it all the time.

Or more like every once in a while. Let's be realistic here.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I believe there was a Mythbusters episode on herding cats. They couldn't do it, I think was the outcome.

Fake Edit: I found it. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/savage-purr-suation/

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
As somebody who has had to herd just FOUR kittens, it is every bit as hard as it is colloquially considered. I learned new parts of my furniture existed because within a day they learned there were horribly hard places for them to be retrieved from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

This is now the "post your kitten herding stories" thread and I am perfectly okay with that :3:

• Locked thread