Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

redcheval posted:

I thought the issue with spoilers wasn't that they lessen the enjoyment you get from the story, but that it fundamentally changes the whole experience. I've definitely been spoiled or spoiled myself on plenty of movies I've gone on to really love and enjoy, but I have pretty fond memories of :tviv: moments from shows and movies too.

Basebf555 posted:

Lets forget about measuring levels of enjoyment for a second. I think anyone would agree that when a film involves plot twists(i.e. almost every movie ever made), you would have a different experience watching it blind versus knowing the story ahead of time. You'd have different thoughts running through your head, different reactions to certain scenes, and probably feel different emotions than you would otherwise feel had the plot not been spoiled. Its also reductive to just say that if a film relies on a twist then it isn't very good. Effectively building to a twist and successfully surprising the audience isn't easy, and when its done right it can create extremely memorable cinematic moments. I wouldn't want to deprive myself of the possibility of one of those moments.

For me personally I want to experience a film in the way that the filmmakers intended me to, and I don't think most directors would recommend reading a plot summary before viewing their films.

Yeah, and deciding for people whether or not they should be allowed to have the experience that they want to have is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This thread was created because some guy ran to the mods because GBS briefly described some events from a 5+ year old, commonly read fantasy novel in a thread about the TV remake,
I agree that people get way too upset about spoilers but you're downplaying what happened here. Major spoilers were in the thread title itself in all caps - not in the thread. People were spoiled just by looking at the GBS index.

If you insist on spending hours online discussing a show or movie and are pissed when you come across spoilers, you really have no one to blame but yourself, but that's not what happened in this specific case.

• Locked thread