Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I wrote it, I'm glad you liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
I briefly glanced at this book and it peaked my interest bc I'm a goon and like video games. A post apocalypse where everyone is playing an MmO...genius

I do wholeheartedly believe that OP's unfunny faggotry and incessant crying suggests that this book is, in fact, worth reading. Don't act like such a triggered baby. Next time a book offends you eat a patch of fentanyl

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Madcosby posted:

the climax of the book involves the main character having to recite every line from The Holy Grail, while the evil villain must do the same. The first person to succeed wins the company.

This is literally the climax of the book.

The funny thing about this is that it's supposed to be a YA book. What YA reader age kids know Holy Grail? (The answer is manchildren. Supposed adults go for children's books as their main reading material.)

Anyways it's not like there hasn't been tons of complete trash in SF & genre fiction before, but now it gets to the top because of the dumb internet nerd fanbase. Ready Player One got tons of promotion on boingboing. John Scalzi is somehow the big name in SF now? Despite being completely mediocre, but he's got a popular blog. The internet ruins everything.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
There are a billion dumb things in this book but the one I have the biggest problem is they're apparently in the future but all of their poo poo in their stupid second life ripoff is taken from media from between 1980 and 2010.

Did all culture stop after 2010? Does no one in the future have any sort of imagination to come up with their own poo poo in this super powerful computer game instead of just flying around in star wars spaceships and dr who boxes?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Cheesegod posted:

There are a billion dumb things in this book but the one I have the biggest problem is they're apparently in the future but all of their poo poo in their stupid second life ripoff is taken from media from between 1980 and 2010.

Did all culture stop after 2010? Does no one in the future have any sort of imagination to come up with their own poo poo in this super powerful computer game instead of just flying around in star wars spaceships and dr who boxes?

But you're missing the references :downs:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My pen name is Glenn Cramham.
Look for my new young adult adventure book: Flying (with) Solo. It's a look into the mind of a beloved hairy co-pilot on his many wacky adventures.
You'll get to hear my his outlook on religion, fiscal responsibility, why all women should sleep with him and the ones that don't are whores, and the power and sexuality of the gold/credit standard.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

Cheesegod posted:

It's 2015 and the biggest movie in the world is a Jurassic Park movie. A few weeks ago it was a Mad Max sequel.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Madcosby posted:

the climax of the book involves the main character having to recite every line from The Holy Grail, while the evil villain must do the same. The first person to succeed wins the company.

This is literally the climax of the book.

The author seems to forget that the main character gets there first, so has a head start, and therefore the climax has no way of going bad for the protagonist because they both have to recite the movie linearly, while having access to the internet. Also the climax is "broadcast live" so one person can just watch the other person do the same thing then repeat it

the writing is terrible

edit: the author also goes off on a tangent to tell us that the person who patented "recite lines from movies" is now rich because reciting lines from movies is the best video game ever

waitwaitwait i thought the climax was when the evil corporation dropped a nuke on castle greyskull and then ultraman had to fight godzilla and *the exact sound of my veins flaying themselves out of my skin and running away from this awful nerd poo poo*

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Pulp Can Move posted:

It's 2015 and the biggest movie in the world is a Jurassic Park movie. A few weeks ago it was a Mad Max sequel.

What about Frozen????????????

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

waitwaitwait i thought the climax was when the evil corporation dropped a nuke on castle greyskull and then ultraman had to fight godzilla and *the exact sound of my veins flaying themselves out of my skin and running away from this awful nerd poo poo*

hahaha i forgot about that part. ya that was one of the worst chapters ever put in print

it was unforgivably bad. honestly some of the worst writing I've ever encountered

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I certainly hope this whole post-modern craze wears off soon and we can go back to paintings of women on swings and big mountains.

Certainly beats now when most media seems to be about how good/bad media was X years ago.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Madcosby posted:

hahaha i forgot about that part. ya that was one of the worst chapters ever put in print

it was unforgivably bad. honestly some of the worst writing I've ever encountered

ok wait at this point I am almost able to believe anything about internet nerd culture,

but is this real?

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
The only redeeming quality of Ready Player One is that it introduced me in a roundabout way to Neal Stephenson. What is your opinion on Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon, OP?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Rodney posted:

ok wait at this point I am almost able to believe anything about internet nerd culture,

but is this real?

100% real

The treasure hunters meet the villains at the drawbridge of Castle Grayskull. They each use a figurine that turns them into some mech-anime thing including but not limited to Ultraman or Godzilla or Voltron or the female Tranzor Z that shoots beams from her breasts.

Then they battle, featuring vivid descriptions of attack animations.

Then the villain drops an item that kills everyone in a PvP zone, so when he respawns outside the zone he can get back first. the main character conveinently returns to life immediately thans to a 1-Up he got from a Pac-Man kill screen

this is in a book written in 2015

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Qvindtar posted:

The only redeeming quality of Ready Player One is that it introduced me in a roundabout way to Neal Stephenson. What is your opinion on Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon, OP?

I didn't like Snowcrash either. I had 3 copies at once, many people have gifted them to me thinking I would like it.

That opening description of riding the uber highway while delivering a pizza like a ninja was the most childish thing I had read (up to Ready Player One) so I never finished it

I would describe Stephenson's work as Faulkner compared to Ready Player One

Xyra
Apr 8, 2004
No im fartacus

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

Holy poo poo.

Ready Player One may be the worst novel ever published. It's written by a goon or probably that kid who shot up everyone because he was a virgin.

It's about a post-apocalyptic future where Facebook, Amazon World of Warcraft and the Oculus Rift have merged into one big internet. Everyone is online, and you can shop, go up levels grinding boars, equip plasma rifles, vote in elections and play MAME cabinet games. The creator adds an easter egg, and whoever finds this easter egg gets control of the company, a la Willy Wonka. Note, that the company is public, which the author mentions to explain how successful they are because of their stock price, yet control of the company can be obtained by playing the game. Ya, that stock must be soaring.

The author is a video game and 80s film sperglord who thinks reciting lines from Monty Python's Holy Grail is the epitome of hilarity. The story is constantly interrupted by the author's terribly tumblr-inspired opinions on religion, social conditioning, and equality. Descriptions of characters read like medical autopsy reports. He informs us that the female protagonist is 168 pounds. A big shocker in the story is that someone who we think is a male character turns out to be a big black african american woman. I'm pretty sure that's the actual quote from the book.

The vitriol towards religion is pointlessly added and interrupts the story unneccesarily. The easter egg hunters know the creator loved the Indiana Jones movies, yet when one clue towards the treasure also includes three words that appear in a verse from the Bible, they instantly dismiss the Bible reference because "[The Creator] was an athiest, anyone looking for help in the Bible is a MORON".

The author constantly goes into non-sequitors that constantly contradict the story. He mentions that the US government in the future is obsolete, but later points out that he voted for Will Wheaton for US Senate. Also the end of the book has the evil CEO villain arrested by the Feds, about ten pages after the author mentions that the FBI is "organizing deck chairs on the Titanic"

This may be the shittiest book ever written. It's like The Room, but for movies.

Now admit you wrote it

I bet it's the author that wrote the OP because nothing will make goons buy a book faster than if they actively want to hate it!

GBS is run by hipsters

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'm the guy that inspired the books main protagonist.

It's mostly a true story.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Madcosby posted:

100% real

The treasure hunters meet the villains at the drawbridge of Castle Grayskull. They each use a figurine that turns them into some mech-anime thing including but not limited to Ultraman or Godzilla or Voltron or the female Tranzor Z that shoots beams from her breasts.

Then they battle, featuring vivid descriptions of attack animations.

Then the villain drops an item that kills everyone in a PvP zone, so when he respawns outside the zone he can get back first. the main character conveinently returns to life immediately thans to a 1-Up he got from a Pac-Man kill screen

this is in a book written in 2015

Actually it was written in like 2011, but agreed that it was rly bad.

I read it on audiobook on my commute to work because the premise sounded interesting (but then p much anyone can have an interesting idea), and it sort of was before he completely bungled the execution by about chapter 2. Like he could have had something if it focused on society crumbling and desperately clinging to fantasies of an idealized past but no, everybody's thrilled they get to spend their days playing old video games and watching 80s sitcoms and poo poo.

The plot outline was a couple chapters of background and then nothing but empty slots he filled with video game references describing how they are played.

Also since it was an audiobook I had to hear Wil wheaton spit it out in nasally mush mouth delivery.

I recommend it if you are a masochist wanting to see terrible people making a killing pandering to manchildren

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Madcosby posted:

I didn't like Snowcrash either. I had 3 copies at once, many people have gifted them to me thinking I would like it.

That opening description of riding the uber highway while delivering a pizza like a ninja was the most childish thing I had read (up to Ready Player One) so I never finished it
The rest of the book is, well, not exactly like the opening chapter (for one thing it rapidly becomes clear that the main character is a fuckup who is really only a badass ninja swordfighter hacker in VR and gets completely shown up in actual fights) -- but it ain't high lit. It's a vivid action post-Gibson cyberpunk book.

Though if snow crash isn't to your liking I question what you're doing reading SF at all, other than a couple authors like Banks or such. Ask people to give you real books for gifts.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

The rest of the book is, well, not exactly like the opening chapter (for one thing it rapidly becomes clear that the main character is a fuckup who is really only a badass ninja swordfighter hacker in VR and gets completely shown up in actual fights) -- but it ain't high lit. It's a vivid action post-Gibson cyberpunk book.

Though if snow crash isn't to your liking I question what you're doing reading SF at all, other than a couple authors like Banks or such. Ask people to give you real books for gifts.

hahha Im sorry dismissing Snowcrash means I'm forbidden from reading anything science fiction. I do intend to give some Stephenson book a second chance sometime in the future.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

as a real sci fi enthusiast I only read the russian greats like lem or asimov

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

will someone please for the love of god rescue the poor baby

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
I had nearly forgot about this book. I read it on deployment because it was at the top of the sci-fi list on iBooks, and it seriously was the most cringe inducing poo poo.

I read Hyperion immediately afterwards though, and that poo poo was drat good.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Read Fall of Hyperion next, then don't read anything else Dan Simmons published after it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My wife got it for me for Christmas. SO bad

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It was okay. I thought the 'interactive movie' aspect was interesting, wonder if anything will come of that if oculus rift et al really does take off.

As for the author I got no hate for his nerdiness. Let his geek flag fly, he seems to be having fun with it. I'll take his stuff over Dan Brown anyday.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Scaramouche posted:

It was okay. I thought the 'interactive movie' aspect was interesting, wonder if anything will come of that if oculus rift et al really does take off.

As for the author I got no hate for his nerdiness. Let his geek flag fly, he seems to be having fun with it. I'll take his stuff over Dan Brown anyday.

Apparently this piece of poo poo has a movie deal with Stephen Spielberg attached...so who knows!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Can't wait for the movie.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Aren't they making it into a movie?

Of course they are. Spielberg to direct. Christ.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ready-player-one-movie-steven-spielberg-ernest-cline-warner-bros-1201398299/

EDIT
drat we all jumped on that didn't we

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my brothers ex boyfriend bought me this book for christmas because he thought i'd like it

he was wrong

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

lmao sounds like someones got a gay bro

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
The author constantly goes into non-sequitors that constantly contradict the story.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Madcosby posted:

hahha Im sorry dismissing Snowcrash means I'm forbidden from reading anything science fiction. I do intend to give some Stephenson book a second chance sometime in the future.

I had the same reaction but Snow Crash is a pretty great parody of all the DARK NINJA MASTER ANIME nerdlings that live at Crunchy Roll.

The Diamond Age is his best book, I think.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

FordPRefectLL posted:

my brothers ex boyfriend bought me this book for christmas because he thought i'd like it

he was wrong

sorry you didnt like it

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
You guys are shitheads. Ready Player One is a great book (though like 90% of the references are to the 80s and over my head), and the movie he wrote Fanboys is also pretty drat good even though it sounds like the shittiest movie ever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

You guys are shitheads. Ready Player One is a great book (though like 90% of the references are to the 80s and over my head), and the movie he wrote Fanboys is also pretty drat good even though it sounds like the shittiest movie ever.

Thanks for your input, jarjarbinksfan

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

no nothing will come of it because in the stupid book the author makes reciting movie lines take place in the first person

i dont know if youve noticed this but none of the films you enjoyed were filmed in the first person

it would take re-filming the entire movie to make that idea a reality

or worse, filming a movie from the start to make the interactive movie later

like that's always gone well

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Son of Rodney posted:

as a real sci fi enthusiast I only read the russian greats like lem or asimov

lol in foundation there is exactly one female character and her entire role is to be distracted by a shiny bauble, clearly the mark of a forward thinking mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Madcosby posted:

when one clue towards the treasure also includes three words that appear in a verse from the Bible, they instantly dismiss the Bible reference because "[The Creator] was an athiest, anyone looking for help in the Bible is a MORON".

Wow, my parents raised me atheist and still had me learn about Bible stuff. My mom especially is at least as mad at religion as a lot of these r/atheist guys, but even she knows that Biblical stories and concepts are important for cultural literacy. Plus she likes celebrating Christmas and Easter for the presents and colored eggs and stuff. Ernest doesn't need to be so smug.

Also voting Wil Wheaton for public office just because he's the geek poster boy du jour is the dumbest thing I've heard today

• Locked thread