Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm sorry Europeans, but Americans and Russians have been kicking your asses at writing books since Melville & Gogol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Dear President Barack Obama,
That Scene In Jurassic World Where Chris Pratt Rubs Dinosaur Cum All Over His Muscular Butt Cheeks
That Scene In Jurassic World Where Chris Pratt Rubs Dinosaur Cum All Over His Muscular Butt Cheeks And His Pants And Underwear Fall Down And Everybody Can See His Butt And Penis
That Scene In Jurassic World Where Chris Pratt Rubs Raptor Cum All Over His Muscular Butt Cheeks And His Pants And Underwear Fall Down And Everybody Can See His Butt And Penis
That Scene In Jurassic World Where Chris Pratt Rubs Dinosaur Cum All Over His Muscular Butt Cheeks And His Pants And Underwear Fall Down And Everybody Can See His Butt And Penis But He Is Not Embarassed He Keeps Rubbing The Gooey Dinosaur Cum On His Cum Covered Butt And Says This Is My Cummy Butt Covered In Dinosaur Cum Mmm

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I enjoyed the story. But then, I'm old enough that I got all the references. Apparently, I'm the same age as James Halliday. However, I am not autistic, as far as I know.

Also, the author stuck an easter egg in the book,much like the one in the story. If you were the first to solve it, and complete the task, you won a Delorean. To be honest, I wouldn't mind owning one. However, I was not clever enough to solve the puzzle.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Wait I thought Wil Wheaton wrote that book LMAO

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neurosis posted:

the book about the protagonist being raped by big bird for hundreds of pages?

That isn't what happens...

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm sorry Europeans, but Americans and Russians have been kicking your asses at writing books since Melville & Gogol.

Russia is part of Europe

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Doctor J Off posted:

Russia is part of Europe

I disagree.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Doctor J Off posted:

Russia is part of Europe

russia is part of asia hth

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
That sounds like a neat concept.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I'll admit to reading it, which was embarrassing enough. I'm exactly from his demographic, got all the references, and it was still really stupid, because the entire book is:

quote:

Remember this 80's band? That band was cool.
Remember this 80's movie? That movie was cool.
Remember this 80's TV Show? That TV show was cool.
Remember this 80's Video Game? That game was cool.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i just finished oryx and crake by margaret atwood yesterday thats good scifi

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME

FordPRefectLL posted:

I just finished reading the compilation of five guys burgers and fries threads, by dad gay. So what. I was lucky enough to get a signed first addition. Let me say, it was a good read.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree with the op it's really the worst loving book I've ever read. Towards the end when it was just like "how many references can I throw in?" I just wanted to wedgie the author.

And Danny was riding in a gundam with back to the future cars for feet and I was on the Akira bike powered by marios and we were in myst and and and... gently caress you!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FordPRefectLL posted:

Atwood owns.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

what I dont get is why the 80s stuff is still so popular with young people. Look at reddit all the "gamer" fags keep posting pictures of their dumb mario pixel art or TMNT tattoo and they were often not even born in the 80s.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Nanomashoes posted:

americans are children with no history

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

FordPRefectLL posted:

Uhh excuse me Margaret Atwood writes Speculative Fiction, not that diseased ghetto for juveniles, mental invalids, and degenerates known as Sci Fi.

For example, her work contains neither space ships nor chemicals.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Son of Rodney posted:

and they were often not even born in the 80s.

the nerve!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Horniest Manticore posted:

Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing for Europeans that a bunch of children with no historical perspective are better writers with more global influence .

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
RP1 is literally a book about a Fox News caricature of a Millennial who has 0 positive attributes and is a creepy stalker but he wins at videogames so were supposed to think he's totally cool and awesome. Also Rodman Philbrick wrote basically the same book, only his main character is actually interesting and sympathetic and in that the fact that there is a videogame that dominates an entire cultural landscape is treated (rightfully) as a horrifying plague on human consciousness and not the coolest future ever. Oh yeah, and it's for goddamn children.

That being said, it's still better than Little Brother.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The guy who wrote Little Brother is the president in Ready Player One.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

The fat useless redditor I work with keeps recommending it. I already figured it was trash based on that fact alone.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That being said, it's still better than Little Brother.

You're wrong

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
litle brother is a good book for nerdy 14 year olds. ready player one isnt good for anyone

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Horniest Manticore posted:

so angry

where did the americans touch you

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

There's a part in Ready Player One about the protagonist loving sex dolls and being like "The creator of the game talked about masturbation in his blog and said it was natural so it never bothered me" like he only fucks sex dolls because John Carmack says it's okay.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

His new book is The Last Starfighter, except - get this - the protagonist remembers 80's movie The Last Starfighter!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TetsuoTW posted:

His new book is The Last Starfighter, except - get this - the protagonist remembers 80's movie The Last Starfighter!

I'm almost positive this was the same guy as in the Atari documentary. He was totally irritating and asked the most stupid questions imaginable.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

TNG posted:

Uhh excuse me Margaret Atwood writes Speculative Fiction, not that diseased ghetto for juveniles, mental invalids, and degenerates known as Sci Fi.

crake loves chemicals so much he might as well be walter white

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Guys, I'm working on my novel, and I've set up this really depressing dystopian future where mankind's only relief comes from horrifically addictive virtual reality devices and the main character is a product of such a world: bitter, jaded, and sarcastic -- just a really unlikeable fellow. So which of the Back to the Future films should I reference first, and should I cut out the scene where the protagonist gains Force powers from a virtual Yoda?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Here's a bunch of :words: about some things about the book that haven't been mentioned, so that 95% of the people posting in this thread have a better idea about what they're deriding. My memory of the book is hazy; bear with me.

There are no public schools. All schooling is done through the game world, which is a game world and not a generic virtual reality because every time you log in it shows a "Ready Player One" screen. The school worlds are free for everyone to join and move between, but you need credits to get to other worlds or buy equipment. You can get credits by killing things.

The main character hates his family and spends all day emulating games and watching movies. That's pretty much it, and luckily, that makes him the most qualified person to ultimately control the most powerful system on the planet.

The first step in the giant easter egg hunt is on a school planet because the creator wanted it to be accessible to anyone, not just people with money. But the school planets are where every student in the nation goes for hours every day, and the protagonist is not the only person too broke to leave for more exciting planets. He is, however, the first person to wander around and find the first dungeon. A second person shows up soon after him, and eventually the corporation trying to win first builds a force-field around the dungeon so only their employees can complete the first step. The first step is to "play" through Ferris Beuller's day off.

At one point the protagonist needs to get inside the corporation, so they rack up some expenses they can't pay off and the corp sends goons to his home. They black bag him and turn him into an indentured servant to do support for the game. He sleeps in a pod like a Japanese salary man, and his escape plan hinges on him remembering a long string of digits given to him by an ex-employee. So of course he does and everything goes hunky-dorey. I think he celebrates by stealing money from them and buying a body suit for immersive gaming. At this point the character basically goes full goon, stating that food is no longer as important as gaming.

His best bud from the game turns out to be a big black woman with identity issues and an RV, and the female protagonist that has been helping him in-game turns out to be a white beauty but with a birthmark on her face. She has, until then, thought that she was too ugly to be loved, but the male protagonist lets her know that she's lovely. Of course, what she looks like doesn't matter because there's no way that these people are going to be spending any time outside of the game world after they win and become literal God-Kings.

When I finished, I really wished that the humans behind his buddy and the female protagonist were reversed. The author makes a point about people not matching up with their avatar but that's okay, because they're still the same person you were engaging with before you knew what they looked like. I think the MC wouldn't be so noble if his buddy turned out to be a cute whitey with a winestain and the female he'd been lusting was an overweight black lady. But hey, at least the author included a person of color right? Right?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You forgot the part where his loving initials are WOW -- Wade Owen Watts.

This Charming Goat
Sep 5, 2012

TNG posted:

She should have stopped at Oryx and Crake because the second one was poo poo and I couldn't even finish the third. I wish authors would stop trying to making a profit and do what I want tbh.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Ready Player One sucked an insane amount of cock

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Ernest Cline is a stupid little bitch and I'm going to beat the poo poo out of him

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

You guys are shitheads. Ready Player One is a great book (though like 90% of the references are to the 80s and over my head), and the movie he wrote Fanboys is also pretty drat good even though it sounds like the shittiest movie ever.

He wrote fanboys? I remember watching that movie with some friends because we like star wars and poo poo and a guy we knew recommended the movie. After like 20 minutes, which felt like a full hour, we realized that not one of us had laughed once and turned it off.

e:I had a similar experience with the book actually, we were listening to the adiobook while on a car trip and we were blown away by the fact that there's like an hour and a half of nothing but the author talking about the uber nerd game creator's life story and poo poo not really related to the plot at large.

e2: I also laughed when I figured out the love interest was fat.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 24, 2015

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I nearly bought this thing. Thank god I didn't.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

His best bud from the game turns out to be a big black woman with identity issues and an RV, and the female protagonist that has been helping him in-game turns out to be a white beauty but with a birthmark on her face. She has, until then, thought that she was too ugly to be loved, but the male protagonist lets her know that she's lovely. Of course, what she looks like doesn't matter because there's no way that these people are going to be spending any time outside of the game world after they win and become literal God-Kings.

Nah shes fat. the descriptions are like "all curves" "stocky" and she makes a killing by doing her own clothing line for "plus sized avatars" named after her character. shes a fatty

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Everything said in this thread as a mock of the book is just making the book sound that much better.

You're doing a poor job selling me on this being the latest "omg worst thing ever." It just sounds like campy, trashy fun to me.

I hope they make a film out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

want link to the interview

• Locked thread