Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Hey guys rather than reading bad scifi like whatever Boing Boing's or i09's pick of the week is, maybe read good scifi? Stuff like Theodore Sturgeon, Robert Sheckley, E.C. Tubb or Allan Cole and Chris Bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't think ANY authors can write a sex scene because Don DeLillo is considered a writer of true literature and his dirty talk and sex scenes are loving hilariously bad on that level (I think there's one that's even worse I can't remember if it's in White Noise or not).

lmao I never knew what Stross looked like before why did I assume he was normal looking.

FTFY.

I have yet to read a well-written sex scene in ANY fiction genre -- every single one of them has always stopped the plot cold with the author's awkward idea of sex-talk and clunky, embarrassing descriptions of sexual acts, and I don't know why authors persist in including them (with possible exception of trashy romance novels, which, let's face it, are built on that kind of stuff). Sex scenes are totally useless -- we all know what sex is, we all do it, and stuff that might seem hot when you're doing it just looks ridiculous typed out on a page. There are far better ways to show that your characters are into each other without going "AND THEN THEY hosed!"

... Actually, now that I think about it, just writing "AND THEN THEY hosed!" instead of including a lousy, pointless sex scene would probably be better.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The sex scene in Franz Kafka's "Amerika" goes perfectly with the absurdly(In the Camus sense) depressing tone of the novel.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I got some bad news for everyone, but Cline's wrote a sequel to Ready Player One.

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
Key line:

"This is a book that ends with someone unironically quoting Yoda."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

quote:

After nearly 100 pages of overly specific descriptions of Zack's online battles with his friends

Yeah I ain't loving reading that.

Like yeah I have a long history of sucking my own dick over a lovely, indulgent, narcissistic identification with nerd and "gamer" culture, but I always had the decency to be deeply ashamed of that and not whore myself out as a paid sideshow under the pretension of "commentary" on my peers. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Young Freud posted:

I got some bad news for everyone, but Cline's wrote a sequel to Ready Player One.

Pro read.

quote:

“My Terra Firma ranking is too abysmal to say out loud,” I said, laying on the false modesty with a trowel. “But in the Armada rankings I'm currently sixth.”

Her eyes widened, and she swiveled her head around to stare at me.

“Sixth place?” she repeated. “In the world? No bullshit?”

I crossed my heart, but did not hope to die.
“That's some serious bill-paying skillage,” she said. “Color me impressed, Zack-Zack Lightman.”

“Color me flattered, Miss Larkin,” I replied.

And of course the comments are full of people attacking the author for besmirching the honor of gaming culture.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Hey guys rather than reading bad scifi like whatever Boing Boing's or i09's pick of the week is, maybe read good scifi? Stuff like Theodore Sturgeon, Robert Sheckley, E.C. Tubb or Allan Cole and Chris Bunch.

Stanislaw Lem or GTFO

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

Pro read.

And of course the comments are full of people attacking the author for besmirching the honor of gaming culture.

holy poo poo that's some bad writing

stating the obvious, but

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I bet those same nerds bash Twilight or Fifty Shades.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
why did u read the book if it was so bad

the person that is bad is u

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh, man, I didn't realize that "Armada" isn't a direct sequel to "Ready Player One". I almost assumed it by how similar the main characters are to each other. Although, I'm certain that "Armada"'s lead has his '80s affections turned up to 11.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Young Freud posted:

That's a really good review:

quote:

Armada often feels like it's being narrated by that one guy in your group of friends who never stops quoting the Simpsons, a tic that feels increasingly tiresome and off-putting in the face of the novel’s supposedly apocalyptic stakes. On more than one occasion, soldiers salute each other en route to world-ending battles by solemnly swearing that “the Force” will be with them, and one character flies to his supposedly tragic and moving death while screaming quotes from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This is a book that ends with someone unironically quoting Yoda.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What I'm really looking forward to is next decade's geek nostalgia opus "Ready Poster One", main characters GoatMan and his love interest TubGirl have to use the power of 'tism to perfectly reenact famous internet memes.

• Locked thread