Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I actually wrote the entirety of Infinite Jest when I was a small child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
God, you could probably get cancer from all that nerd concentrated in one place.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I certainly hope this whole post-modern craze wears off soon and we can go back to paintings of women on swings and big mountains.

Certainly beats now when most media seems to be about how good/bad media was X years ago.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Read Fall of Hyperion next, then don't read anything else Dan Simmons published after it.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Scaramouche posted:

It was okay. I thought the 'interactive movie' aspect was interesting, wonder if anything will come of that if oculus rift et al really does take off.

As for the author I got no hate for his nerdiness. Let his geek flag fly, he seems to be having fun with it. I'll take his stuff over Dan Brown anyday.

Apparently this piece of poo poo has a movie deal with Stephen Spielberg attached...so who knows!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

He could read a good science-fiction novel like The Sparrow.

I met Mary Doria Russel at a book event once. Very nice lady who you wouldn't expect at all to write about gang rapes.

We also had a discussion about cultural imperialism, good times.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Horniest Manticore posted:

americans are loving children.

read anything from literally any other country in the world. all american art is at the level of children banging action figures together and making explosion noises.

(but that sounds awesome! -- goons)

Eh, most American art is about slavery or racism at its core, at least most of our novels.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I think the racism is still there, just in different modes since we aren't dealing directly with the pre/post Antebellum or Jim Crow eras.

Take this modern poo poo pile for example. A novel written by a white nerd, wherein a bunch of other white nerds, and some Japanese ones, drown themselves in a bunch of post-modern horseshit while looking for the goddamn Holy Grail provided from on high by king white nerd. It's a cavalcade of lily white dinguses and their sanitized acceptable Others. It's a microcosm of everything that is wrong with geek culture and, by extension, American culture: That we hose ourselves down with the offal of the 1980s while ignoring very real and pervasive parts of our society. That it shrouds itself in the loathsome dystopian young adult genre is just icing on the cake.

I'm glad that we're all special (if you're white)and that we can unite others(sometimes minorities!)behind us(white people) to be able to cast off the confines of our oppressive society! Thank god for Voltron and White People I guess.

TNG fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 20, 2015

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Scaramouche posted:

You and the OP have correctly identified this novel as greatest extant threat to human life on this planet. Only by posting a lot of words about it can we be saved.

Nah, rich people are the greatest threat. This is just another trail marker on the road to oblivion.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I know, I've got it, The Goonies! That will surely be the kick in the pants this plot needs!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

FordPRefectLL posted:

i just finished oryx and crake by margaret atwood yesterday thats good scifi

Uhh excuse me Margaret Atwood writes Speculative Fiction, not that diseased ghetto for juveniles, mental invalids, and degenerates known as Sci Fi.

For example, her work contains neither space ships nor chemicals.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I found Endymion/Rise of Endymion really bad. But then Dan Simmons went crazy and started writing about how the Muslims are coming to take our women and guns, so they're not that bad in retrospect.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Spielberg changes it so it becomes a big gently caress you to the 80s where E.T. gets his head bashed in the first minute and the rest is spent explaining why Ronald Reagan and the culture he ushered in ruined America.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

dogcrash truther posted:

The same people who recommended Ready Player One to me are now recommending The Martian. Is The Martian bad

Here's a question, do you have those friends on Facebook that post those "True Science Facts that science is AWESOMEBALLS" image macros with an air of divine awe and wonder and no self awareness? The Martian is basically those image macros.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The Martian is image macro-y like this

Just going on an on about minutia like the rockets they use, and the effects of 1/6th of Earth's gravity on the spaceships, and how to jury rig all sorts of poo poo. With the power of science. The whole book is a lot of True Science Facts beyond Belief! strung together with a plot that enables the character to explore more amazing science. You said it yourself, it's not very interesting. I'm not claiming it's good or bad, just that a lot of "technically accurate" minutia drives the book.

Which is pretty much why I dislike hard sci-fi, since a lot of just reads like a technical manual. I find the work of Stephen Baxter pretty good though since the science that he's going on and on about is so out there and cosmic that it boggles the mind sometimes. He's also a hilariously extreme fatalist, but that's just interesting to me from a literary standpoint.

Here's another question for those considering to read The Martian: Did the inaccurate science in the film "Gravity" detract from your enjoyment of the film because "that's not how it would have happened"? If the answer is yes, The Martian is the book for you since Andy Weir nails the details of the effects and speed of a Martian dust storm and even has the main character plot it with calculus or whatever so he can avoid it!

TNG fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 26, 2015

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Oh Jesus Christ, I forgot about pirateninjas. I read that book in like an afternoon since my ex left it at my house and I had nothing better to do on a Sunday. I already had contempt for it, but god that was loving terrible.

To answer a question, yes The Martian is like Neil Stephenson, if he wrote prose at the level of a Freshman taking his first Creative Writing course in college and had previously been haunting the annals of Fanfiction.net. Just the most bare bones exposition-y garbage combined with a douchebag narrator who goes on and on about True Science Wonders that are AMAZESAUCE for the win!

It's hard sci fi in the sense that it's more in love with its ideas about current technology getting us to Mars and then allowing someone to survive because he can "Science the poo poo out of it" rather than its characters or how the world has developed in relation to our reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The sex scene in Franz Kafka's "Amerika" goes perfectly with the absurdly(In the Camus sense) depressing tone of the novel.

• Locked thread