Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

I have no doubt this game will have really amazing gameplay... what concerns me most is replayability, which was SF64's biggest weakness. Does anyone know if any of the following are in?:

- some sort of unlockable extreme hard mode
- unlockable ability to jump STRAIGHT to a specific level
- boss rush mode!!
- some sort of infinite survival mode

If any of the above four are in, this will be a game you can pick up and enjoy for years. But if it's like sf64 and your ONLY option is to start with level 1, that will be disappointing.

I saw a screenshot of what looked like a level select menu online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's an unlockable 64-style arcade mode but the main game saves after every level and lets you replay levels whenever, and I'm sure there'll be individual score attack modes for each stage and with each vehicle. There are also additional VR challenge missions you unlock by collecting medals in the stages - some are score-based, some have other conditions. I don't know if there's a hard mode but if not, there's always the Falco amiibo gimmick, I guess...

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

a starfox where you run out of fuel would be hilariously awful

I think there was a DS game like that

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Reviews are starting to drop and they're not looking too hot.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/star-fox-zero-review/1900-741/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/star_fox_zero/b/wii_u/archive/2016/04/20/star-fox-zero-review-fox-sheds-some-appeal-in-this-retread.aspx

I want to see what people here say about the game when its released though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The complaints are confusing. So it's too much like Star Fox 64? I was under the impression that's what we all wanted. I feel like that if it deviated too much, then the review would be panning it for not being enough like Star Fox 64. Kinda like every other Star Fox game? I mean, obviously people want something more but nobody seems to have the imagination to describe what that "more" is... they just know they want it.

Seems most of the complaints are lobbed at the dumb dual screen control scheme. How was that idea not immediately shitcanned? I don't see how you're supposed to focus on two different screens that are so far apart from eachother.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 20, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Basically it's what they thought they wanted but they realised that something that was amazing and groundbreaking in its day can be a bit tired if you just retread it. Happens all the time.

e.g this is why successful reboots usually shake things up more.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, Dan at Giant Bomb calling it the Star Fox everyone wanted in 2002 isn't exactly the scorching criticism he thought it was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The complaints are confusing. So it's too much like Star Fox 64? I was under the impression that's what we all wanted. I feel like that if it deviated too much, then the review would be panning it for not being enough like Star Fox 64. Kinda like every other Star Fox game? I mean, obviously people want something more but nobody seems to have the imagination to describe what that "more" is... they just know they want it.

Seems most of the complaints are lobbed at the dumb dual screen control scheme. How was that idea not immediately shitcanned? I don't see how you're supposed to focus on two different screens that are so far apart from eachother.

Yeah that review seems like glowing praise to me.

"Its just like Starfox 64, which is what everybody wanted.... but is it too late for that to matter?" asks a stupid "game journalist".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NLJP posted:

e.g this is why successful reboots usually shake things up more.

Rachet and Clank's recent reboot is just "the Rachet and Clank remake people wanted with no frills" and is being extremely positively received.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gamespot's review got hung up on the controls but overall found it pretty good.
Destructoid didn't like some forced sections like the gyrowing and didn't like how it tried nothing new for the series.
GiantBomb's review thought it was too much like 64 and kinda got weird talking about where "Fox McCloud fits in this world"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It seems like Nintendo has confused "people want a game that feels and plays like star fox 64" with "people literally just want star fox 64 in 1080p."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

Rachet and Clank's recent reboot is just "the Rachet and Clank remake people wanted with no frills" and is being extremely positively received.

Ironically the GiantBomb review for R&C is nothing but how great it is.

quote:

If you’ve played the original (or the HD Collection version), you’ll notice the initial similarities. Many of the planets from the original make their return, often in the same order and almost always with the same basic visual style. Despite this, many elements within the stages themselves are different. Layouts are sometimes entirely new, and the placement of collectibles (and number of them) is totally different. Rarely did I explore a level and think “oh yeah, I remember this part.” Rather, it conjured up general memories of planet themes as I blasted my way through these stages.

So Starfox, a game which captures the feel of StarFox64, is too old fashioned, but Ratchet & Clank which not only captures the feel of Ratchet & Clank but explicitly visits the same exact planets and plot points (although somewhat remixed) is not old fashioned?

Game journalism ladies and gentlemen.

Basically boils down to "we didn't really feel like playing starfox this month but we were down for ratchet & clank"

At least they didn't give it a review score.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaphod42 posted:

Ironically the GiantBomb review for R&C is nothing but how great it is.

Ahaha, when I read that quote I actually thought it was in reference to Star Fox Zero. I guess I have two questions about the game didn't get clarified from the reviews:

1) Can you just turn off the dual screen thing and play without it? Is the gameplay designed around this?
2) Is any part of this post true:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The secret might already be out, been hearing a lot of groundswell about a plot twist that I can't find the source for but a lot of people believe. It's a multiverse plot and we've only seen the 64 stuff, the portals are tied to it somehow and later stuff will show up.

One piece of evidence I know I've seen is Venom is a little before the halfway point on the overall score chart- and all the 64 planets/areas are before it leaving a massive gap of mystery locations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You can toggle it so it only uses motion control while you hold down ZR. That way a lot of it controls like normal Star Fox.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

Basically boils down to "we didn't really feel like playing starfox this month but we were down for ratchet & clank"

Ratchet and Clank is generally a pretty awesome game that doesn't have players wrestling with an awkward control scheme over the course of the game, while also looking damned pretty to boot.

It's pretty bizarre how far you people will go to discredit a game review that ultimately is just someone else' opinion on a game, and not a final arbiter of your own personal tastes. I mean take offense at the fact that the guy liked another reboot all you want, but maaaaaaaaaaaybe the game isn't actually as amazing as you were hoping it was?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Ratchet and Clank is generally a pretty awesome game that doesn't have players wrestling with an awkward control scheme over the course of the game, while also looking damned pretty to boot.

I like how you're assuming that I haven't played R&C and also that I think SFZ is going to be amazing. I didn't actually know what Giantbomb's review for R&C was, I was just pointing out that a no-frills reboot released this very month did very well and that successful reboots don't necessarily have to shake things up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't really care that he liked R&C and not this but

GiantBomb posted:

Nintendo finally released the Star Fox game that I thought I wanted, but it leaves me wondering what place Fox McCloud has in today’s gaming landscape.

I seriously think this is really drat funny.

The review's fine honestly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly don't think it's that funny or out of place.

Star Fox is a rail shooter arcade franchise which is a completely dead genre in the modern market, at least at full price and budget. It's a legitimate question if it has a place in the modern market. Part of the reason Nintendo kept trying to reinvent the wheel was because it was increasingly clear even in the 2000s that Star Fox didn't have a niche in a market that increasingly was against that style of gameplay and it was either change the franchise or put it to rest. It looks like the answer is going to be 'it really doesn't have a place in the market anymore.'

This doesn't mean SFZ is good or bad but merely that it probably isn't the right kind of game anymore. (And I think, based off my own experiences with the game, that the 'awkward control' complaint is going to be pretty overblown except for maybe the gyrocopter segments.) I think the honest truth is that a middling-difficulty score-focused rail shooter released for $60 isn't going to be high on anyone's play list.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It's pretty bizarre how far you people will go to discredit a game review that ultimately is just someone else' opinion on a game, and not a final arbiter of your own personal tastes. I mean take offense at the fact that the guy liked another reboot all you want, but maaaaaaaaaaaybe the game isn't actually as amazing as you were hoping it was?

Its pretty bizarre how far you people will go to discredit another goon's post that ultimately is just someone else's opinion on a game, and not a final arbiter of your own personal tastes. I mean take offense at the fact that I disagreed with a game journalist all you want, but maaaaaaybe the article isn't actually as well written as you were hoping it was?

:goonsay:

I can play that game too man, lets just not. Yes, Giantbomb is free to offer their opinion, and we goons are free to poo poo on it if we feel like doing so. Opinions!

ImpAtom posted:

Star Fox is a rail shooter arcade franchise which is a completely dead genre in the modern market, at least at full price and budget. It's a legitimate question if it has a place in the modern market. Part of the reason Nintendo kept trying to reinvent the wheel was because it was increasingly clear even in the 2000s that Star Fox didn't have a niche in a market that increasingly was against that style of gameplay and it was either change the franchise or put it to rest. It looks like the answer is going to be 'it really doesn't have a place in the market anymore.'

This doesn't mean SFZ is good or bad but merely that it probably isn't the right kind of game anymore. (And I think, based off my own experiences with the game, that the 'awkward control' complaint is going to be pretty overblown except for maybe the gyrocopter segments.) I think the honest truth is that a middling-difficulty score-focused rail shooter released for $60 isn't going to be high on anyone's play list.

I dunno, Star Wars : The Old Republic (the MMO) did starfox-style levels a couple years ago, and lots of people enjoyed them and remarked on how they'd like a full star fox style game in this day and age.

Its a niche market, yeah, but considering there's entirely zero competition in that market, maybe not such a bad ideal to take it completely for yourself? The market also decided that adventure games were a dead niche, and then along comes Tim Schafer and Telltale to crank out a dozen of them to huge sales and acclaim.

It could be a dead niche nobody wants or it could be an untapped market. Hard to say, we'll see how sales go.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 20, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm finding it funny cause it's a moment at the end where it clicks in his head and he realizes "Why was I excited for this game again?".

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

:goonsay:

I can play that game too man

Maybe you might play Star Fox Zero better than this particular game you said you weren't playing

Golden Goat posted:

I'm finding it funny cause it's a moment at the end where it clicks in his head and he realizes "Why was I excited for this game again?".

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I remembering being EXCITED to play SF64 on the 3DS. It was legitimately the first game on the system I was prompted to begin giving a poo poo about before its release. I loved that damned game as a kid. I sent in high scores to a nintendo power contest and everything... and I think I have never finished a single playthrough of the game on 3DS.

There's nothing actually wrong with the game other than some of the changes in the voicework (more of a preference thing) and the boss explosions (I miss those big dumb polygon spheres from the original). Every time I've fired it up though, I get about three levels into my usual route, and think "Yep, that was a game I liked a lot as a kid." and set it down and go do something else/play something else.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 20, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's my opinion that the game looks bad and that dude's review is loving stupid as well

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
It's my opinion that Star Fox Zero will be amazing and runner-up for GOTY behind #FE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, Star Wars : The Old Republic (the MMO) did starfox-style levels a couple years ago, and lots of people enjoyed them and remarked on how they'd like a full star fox style game in this day and age..

People liked those as part of a larger overall game rather than their own self-contained game. Which I think is a place where rail shooters do still have a place. (Even the aforementioned R&C has All Range Mode starfighter levels for example.) But that is what a lot of people will view them as. Minigames rather than part of the whole game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Welcome to people having meltdowns

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

You can toggle it so it only uses motion control while you hold down ZR. That way a lot of it controls like normal Star Fox.

So LOL at reviewers ranting endlessly about the motion controls that they can just turn off.

Game journalism!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chieves posted:

So LOL at reviewers ranting endlessly about the motion controls that they can just turn off.

Game journalism!

I learnt that info from the giant bomb review.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

It's my opinion that Star Fox Zero will be amazing and runner-up for GOTY behind #FE

Sorry but persona 5 is the goty this year

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Persona 5 is never coming out though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Persona 5 is never coming out though

dont do this to me man

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

I think the rail shooter could totally be a great genre. With the advent of VR technology I'll bet we will be seeing stuff like that. The thing is, the only reason the genre is dead is because all the ones released Star Fox 64 have sucked. As far as I can tell the only notable exception is Panzer Dragoon Orta and Sin and Punishment, but I've never played those. I don't blame the genre though, I blame the developers for not having the imagination to make a good game. I mean, Call of Duty is like two steps away from being a rail shooter, it's not like it would be totally inconceivable that people would like a high quality rail shooter. Instead we get poo poo like Rambo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the rail shooter could totally be a great genre. With the advent of VR technology I'll bet we will be seeing stuff like that. The thing is, the only reason the genre is dead is because all the ones released Star Fox 64 have sucked. As far as I can tell the only notable exception is Panzer Dragoon Orta and Sin and Punishment, but I've never played those. I don't blame the genre though, I blame the developers for not having the imagination to make a good game. I mean, Call of Duty is like two steps away from being a rail shooter, it's not like it would be totally inconceivable that people would like a high quality rail shooter. Instead we get poo poo like Rambo

The rail shooter genre isn't dead but the full-priced large-budget rail shooter genre? That's something else entirely. There is plenty of room for Indie Star Fox clones (and I imagine VR stuff will pump that up further if it takes off) but the rail shooter genre is designed for short replayable games for obvious reasons. They don't extend to long games very well. And short replayable games are something you expect from a $15 indie game, not a $60 full budget game.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I have no need for reviews since I was always going to buy it. That said, I wouldn't put much stock in the grown rear end man that doesn't know how to cook eggs.

Also, those of you talking about price, remember that you're actually getting two games (Guard) (in America at least).

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 20, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Szmitten posted:

I have no need for reviews since I was always going to buy it. That said, I wouldn't put much stock in the grown rear end man that doesn't know how to cook eggs.

Also, those of you talking about price, remember that you're actually getting two games (Guard).

Yeah but what if you never wanted that game. Like its cool they added some tower defense game there but if thats the reason why the game is $60 dollars than thats pretty hosed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah but what if you never wanted that game. Like its cool they added some tower defense game there but if thats the reason why the game is $60 dollars than thats pretty hosed

You can buy it digitally without it but it's like $50 instead of $60 then IIRC.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's $60 probably because it's a Nintendo Exclusive and honestly Nintendo prices on new games is sorta wonky sometimes.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

nintendo games are priceless gems and getting them for $60 is a steal

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbW99DyAAm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMAyQJ1a6s

It is a shame that there's no online multiplayer since there's no multiplayer game today that really fills that niche. It could have been cool with the new controls.

Guard looks really fun and I'm almost more excited to play that even though I hate TD games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ahaha, when I read that quote I actually thought it was in reference to Star Fox Zero. I guess I have two questions about the game didn't get clarified from the reviews:

1) Can you just turn off the dual screen thing and play without it? Is the gameplay designed around this?
2) Is any part of this post true:

Nah it wasn't true after all which sucks. Venom's just randomly in the middle of the score attack menu.

Chieves posted:

Game journalism!

That's not quite true as a aside. You can turn them off but firing your blasters instantly turns it back on until you stop firing.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbW99DyAAm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMAyQJ1a6s

It is a shame that there's no online multiplayer since there's no multiplayer game today that really fills that niche. It could have been cool with the new controls.

Guard looks really fun and I'm almost more excited to play that even though I hate TD games.

drat this review hits the nail on the head for me on purchasing the game. I'm probably just going to wait for it to go on sale or I don't know probably check it out much later.

• Locked thread