Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Man, Vader really loves letting people escape with a tacking device on them. After a while, you'd think word would get out.

"That sounds like a narrow escape, I'm glad you are OK! By the way, was there a big scary guy dressed all in black?"

"Yeah, why do you ask?"

"Because now we have to move, rear end in a top hat. Read the manual, if you have a narrow escape go to ground. Don't come back to base. They put a tracker on you. It's kinda his 'thing'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Shbobdb posted:

Man, Vader really loves letting people escape with a tacking device on them. After a while, you'd think word would get out.

"That sounds like a narrow escape, I'm glad you are OK! By the way, was there a big scary guy dressed all in black?"

"Yeah, why do you ask?"

"Because now we have to move, rear end in a top hat. Read the manual, if you have a narrow escape go to ground. Don't come back to base. They put a tracker on you. It's kinda his 'thing'."

Word most likely did get out. Princess Leia said as much in Ep IV in an almost bored voice like she's seen his poo poo so many times before, except they turned the tables around with their own attack.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

while true, they could've done it in a way that didn't end up taking a lot of their own firepower.

Although that seems to be the Alliance's MO, all or nothing

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
In most cases if you survive a first meeting with Vader as an enemy/opponant you'll be shaken up for awhile and probably thankful you survived, not thinking about tracking devices.

Edit: Season 1 dvd/bluray coming out Sept 1. No new eps until soon after that?

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Aces High posted:

while true, they could've done it in a way that didn't end up taking a lot of their own firepower.

Although that seems to be the Alliance's MO, all or nothing

But they didn't, they only sent a few fighters (which Tarkin even scoffed at). The real fleet didn't show up until RoTJ where they kinda had to commit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DancinBrud posted:

Hey Cross-Section, thanks for sharing my essential Clone Wars episode list in the OP! Hope somebody gets some good use out of it.

The season two premiere was great. I was like "Why isn't Vader killing these guys?" but of course he just wanted to bully them for a while before tracing them back to the others.

Also, Sam Witwer's Emperor was pretty good (better than Curry, not quite as great as Abercrombie), but his Lando droid voice was a DELIGHT.

Thanks for that, by the way. I'm using it now, just got through the Sateen/Deathwatch arc. The subtle little Imperial March bit in the music when Anakin caps the rogue senator was great. The way this show hints at Anakin's darkness without going all whiny bastard like the movies or even the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars shorts really sells Anakin's fall as tragic as opposed to obvious.

Before he became too busy, Witwer used to show up on a Star Wars RPG podcast I listened to. Dude's a serious Star Wars nerd, which I respect, so I'm sure he loved being the Emperor.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Before he became too busy, Witwer used to show up on a Star Wars RPG podcast I listened to. Dude's a serious Star Wars nerd, which I respect, so I'm sure he loved being the Emperor.

This actually isn't the first time he's played the Emperor - besides his onvious role, he played the Emperor in the Force Unleashed games as well. And while Abercrombie was an excellent Prequel-era Palpatine, I think Witwer's much better at playing the OT-era Emperor.

Also, with Vader finding out about Ahsoka, the show has very neatly headed off the "It's getting unbelievable that Rebels keep escaping Vader - he should have killed them by now" argument. Vader now has a vested interest in keeping them alive, at least until they lead him to Ahsoka, who (he believes) can lead him to Kenobi.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just finished Season 6 of the The Clone Wars... that was pretty underwhelming for the most part. I liked how Season 5 ended though, but drat Rebels is so much better than The Clone Wars in comparison.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Season 6 for me is basically "Holy poo poo, Order 66 foreshadowing!" - *white noise* - "Holy poo poo, Force Ghost backstory!" and that's pretty much it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Burning_Monk posted:

But they didn't, they only sent a few fighters (which Tarkin even scoffed at). The real fleet didn't show up until RoTJ where they kinda had to commit.

They led a battlestation that, and Leia knew this because she saw it, had enough firepower to destroy a planet TO the planet where a decent number of Alliance higher ups still on said planet that is going to get blown up.

Yes they were still a small operation but Leia was still on the loving planet when Tarkin gave the order to fire.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Vader's presence in the Force being felt by other Force sensitives as freezing cold is a really nice touch. I don't think that has ever been used before in any EU material.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teagone posted:

Just finished Season 6 of the The Clone Wars... that was pretty underwhelming for the most part. I liked how Season 5 ended though, but drat Rebels is so much better than The Clone Wars in comparison.

I'm probably way in the minority, but I much preferred Clone Wars to Rebels, at least so far. That's after being colored by several seasons of Clone Wars though, so it's hard to remain objective in judging on only one season of each. I just prefer the atmosphere and overall structure of Clone Wars. I like that Clone Wars was much more an ensemble piece with several different Jedi it could be following, or the clones. That also included Padme, Jar-Jar, and C3-P0, but, they can't all be perfect I suppose. The fact it felt much more like a big war helps too. Rebels has better plot, but it's probably never gonna feel as compelling for me because of the difference in atmosphere.

Also, watch the story reels too if you haven't. There's a really great scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the Utapau ones that foreshadows his fall really well. Very bluntly, but well regardless.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Clone Wars, but in my mind Rebels has, in its short run, dramatically surpassed it in every way except maybe visuals. Just, gently caress all the movie characters, seriously.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Clone Wars, but in my mind Rebels has, in its short run, dramatically surpassed it in every way except maybe visuals. Just, gently caress all the movie characters, seriously.

Yeah Darth Vader can eat a space dick like all the other movie characters!

Clone Wars was better since, as was mentioned, focused on a much bigger picture and could tell a much wider amount of stories due to it's character jumping and scale of conflict. It also shows that these are actual wars with death and consequences unlike the massivley toned down violence in Rebels. That being said, nobody in Clone Wars is as awesome as Chopper.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah Darth Vader can eat a space dick like all the other movie characters!

I didn't think I needed to specify the prequel characters, but honestly Vader doesn't need to be in the show either.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I like Rebels narrow focus, and I thought Takrin and Vader were well used. :colbert:

Lando I can take or leave though.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Watching clone wars for the first time. What the gently caress is ziro the hutt

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A weirdo. If it helps, the other Hutts seem to find Ziro really weird/creepy as well.

Also, that pilot movie is pretty lousy and Season 1 is mediocre. Stick with it though, it gets better after a season or two.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
ziro was jabba's uncle right? the one who tried to take over jabbas black market enterprises?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Ziro was Jabba's uncle right? the one who tried to take over Jabba's black market enterprises?

Yep. He also got killed by this thing:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
So the first season DVD/blu-ray is coming out in September. The press release talks about 15 episodes whereas the season only had 13, so I guess "Spark of Rebellion" might be included. Good thing I've been holding off on buying it on its own.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just recently watched Clone Wars, and I have to say that it and Rebels each have their strong suits.

I like the dramatic weight and tone of a lot of Clone Wars, while in comparison Rebels can be a lot goofier and fluffier in tone. I also prefer a lot of the characters in Clone Wars - I think they did a really good job of getting me to like Anakin, in taking him from a whiney smug brat to a charming-but-arrogant leader, Obi-Wan was pretty great throughout, Ashoka in season 2 on was great, and the clone troopers were all solid. In contrast, I don't really care for anyone on Rebels other than Ezra and Chopper. Each one of the characters on the show kind of boil down to a couple of stock traits that haven't really been fleshed out, or Sabine and Zeb (and Kanan's goatee and ponytail) whom I actively dislike.

However, Rebels does successfully feel much more like the OT in that fun adventurey kind of way.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 29, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Honestly, those problems you mentioned are extremely common in the first season of any show and was the case for Clone Wars too...which was made by the same animation and writing team.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

Honestly, those problems you mentioned are extremely common in the first season of any show and was the case for Clone Wars too...which was made by the same animation and writing team.

I thought the animation team got sacked right before clone wars ended and only two of the writers for Rebels are from Clone Wars.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like them in different ways. Clone Wars does a really good job filling in where the prequels . . . didn't. It went a long way towards rehabilitating my view on Star Wars. Rebels is just good fun. Not in an apologetic, "I'm sorry" way but in just a good swashbuckling way. Clone Wars made me hate the prequels less. Rebels makes me excited about Star Wars is a giddy, childish bit of escapism. A melodrama with techno-wizards and laser swords should be a bit of childish fun and Rebels delivers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really dislike the animation and character models for Rebels. Whereas the Clone Wars' later season animation was very fluid and active, every character on Rebels moves like an action figure with 5 points of articulation. They even have T crotches like some kind of lovely webcomic. The lighting also tends to be very flat and sterile compared to Clone Wars, and the color palette doesn't stray too far beyond Grayscale for Imperial scenes and Green/Orange for Rebel scenes. I love the show, but man, it could really use a visual adjustment.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The problem with Rebels compared to Clone Wars, animationwise, is that it doesn't have George Lucas pouring in oodles of his own money into the show as a pet project.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, the later seasons of Clone Wars were basically operating at a loss, with Lucas personally paying the difference. High-quality animation is super expensive, double so for CG. The character models in Rebels took me a while to warm up to as well, but I think the backgrounds are really great sometimes. I especially like the "hand painted" look of Lothal's clouds.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Burning_Monk posted:

I thought the animation team got sacked right before clone wars ended and only two of the writers for Rebels are from Clone Wars.

Really? drat I'm talking out my rear end.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a fair amount of carryover between the shows. At the very least, superstar VFX coordinator Joel Aron moved from Clone Wars to Rebels.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The problem with Rebels compared to Clone Wars, animationwise, is that it doesn't have George Lucas pouring in oodles of his own money into the show as a pet project.

No, instead it has Disney's money.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And Disney runs their company like a corporation that wants to maximize profits for investors. Lucas ran Lucasfilm like a personal project.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

Really? drat I'm talking out my rear end.

I remember one of the animators for Clone Wars was a goon and would occasionally post about it in the thread. He did a "whelp we all got our pink slips" post just before they announced it was cancelled and before they managed to scrap enough money together to get the lost episodes finished (the last 4).

DancinBrud posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a fair amount of carryover between the shows. At the very least, superstar VFX coordinator Joel Aron moved from Clone Wars to Rebels.

Probably, it's still under the Lucasarts umbrella as diluted as that is these days. Here is the wiki on Lucas Animation.... "Lucasfilm Animation is an animation studio founded in 2003. Its first major production was the television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars and its spin-off feature film. Following the acquisition of Lucasfilm by Disney, the animation personnel at Big Rock Ranch were released with only a minimum group retained to oversee outsource development on the animated series Star Wars: Rebels."

Basically some guys had the train their Chinese replacements. 'Merica!

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 30, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

feedmyleg posted:

And Disney runs their company like a corporation that wants to maximize profits for investors. Lucas ran Lucasfilm like a personal project.

Pretty much. IIRC, the average budget on an episode of Clone Wars was a million dollars, but some episodes could end up costing closer towards two million. Not a stretch to realise that part of why we didn't get a complete Season Six (though the show did leave off at an otherwise appropriate point) was probably down to the sheer cost that would be involved in like, maybe eight episodes or so that weren't too far past pre-viz.

Rebels almost certainly started on a smaller budget, which probably contributed to the smaller focus in terms of setting, cast, etc. Easy to re-use various locations, textures, etc. Even the Imperial goons have their facial features hidden probably as a cost cutting measure, compared to the Clones in Clones Wars having a variety of small tweaks even as mass produced soldiers. Fortunately, the generally positive response (and hopefully, good merchandise sales) make it look like Season 2 got something of a beef up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If Lucas was so invested in Clone Wars I really do wonder how they managed to avoid a "Darth Icky" situation.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Because he actually cared about Clone Wars.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

If Lucas was so invested in Clone Wars I really do wonder how they managed to avoid a "Darth Icky" situation.

That story always seemed like obvious trolling to me. Like he read "Darth Andeddu" in the EU novels and thought oh FFS you want stupid? I'll give you stupid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Darth Icky?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

tsob posted:

Darth Icky?

It came from a story about the development of Force Unleashed (which at the time was meant to be a big cross-media event) where Lucas visited the developers to talk about the plot. The devs said they wanted to make the main guy a Darth and he suggested the names Darth Icky and Darth Insaneous, and everyone was waiting for a laugh, but he remained totally stonefaced and the devs just went "uhhh... maybe we'll save the Darth title for the sequel instead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
George Lucas is not smart. He's like that stan lee key and peele sketch

• Locked thread