Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just a reminder, my holiday starts on the 10th and I probably won't be back at an internet until the 20th.

Please don't get Daimon killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Toodles all, see you in 10-11 days. :)

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Have fun!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I believe Waador said he would be out of town for the holiday weekend too.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Have a good trip! See you in a few.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Redoing Jergo's spell picks/neatening up his progression table. Already picked things have stayed the same of course :v:.

Level 1:
HP increase: Max- 7 (6+1)
Racial gain: Minor Illusion as a cantrip and Speak with small beasts.
Class Features: Arcane Recovery- On a short rest regain half wizard level rounded up in spell slots no higher than 6th.
Ritual Casting-Cast any known rituals at casting time+10min with no need for memorization.
Cantrips: Chilltouch, Prestidigitation, Mold Earth.
Free Spells: Mage Armor, Comprehend Languages, Alarm, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Shield.

Level 2:
HP increase: 5( Average +1 con)
Class Features:Arcane Tradition-Necromancy: Necromancy Savant- Gold and time to copy necromancy spells is halved. Grim Harvest: Once per turn when dropping one or more creatures to 0hp regain hitpoints equal to twice the spell's level/thrice the spells level if necromancy. Effect can only be applied to a creature once in case of their revival during combat.
Free Spells: Tasha's Hideous Laughter & Catapult.

Level 3:
Class Features: None
Free Spells: Snilloc's Snowball Storm: Opens the AoE game a bit earlier.
Phantasmal Force: Make people thinks fake things are real and they'll take justification damage if say I tell them they're on fire or they walk of a cliff thinking there's a bridge there.

Level 4:
ASI: Keen Mind- +1 int, always know where north is, perfect recall of things seen or heard in the last month, and always know how long until sunup/sundown.
New Cantrip: Control Flames.
Free Spells: Continual Flame- a few upcasts and the party will be immune to darkness.
Suggestion-If someone is giving us trouble I can make a comment that isn't completely outside of the realms of sensibility and they will comply to the best of their ability. Telling an enemy to go visit his lonely mother for instance and watching him mount his horse and ride off into the sunset :v:.

Level 5:
Class Features:
Free Spells: Animate Dead-The crux of my character so yeah taking this as soon as possible.
Erupting Earth- A more family friendly version of fireball that scales better.

Level 6:
Class Features: Arcane Tradition-Undead Thralls- Undead created with necromancy have my wizard level in extra hp and add my proficiency bonus to damage rolls.
Free Spells: Leomund's Tiny Hut- Free safe long rests
Vampiric Touch- This'll be my bread and butter in combination with Grim Harvest.

Level 7:
Free Spells: Arcane Eye- Scout the dungeon/locale with no danger to ourselves.
Banishment- Big bad giving us trouble while the chaff is hanging around us? Blammo they're gone for a minute while we mop up.

Level 8:
Class Features:
ASI: Int+2
Free Spells: Fabricate-If we've had downtime I'll want to pick up smithing proficiency so I can make my skeletons armor.
Greater Invisibility-One party member just became amazing for an encounter.

Level 9:
Class Features:
Free Spells: Rary's Telepathic bond-Intraparty communication at all times.
Polymorph: Another blam you're out of the combat spell, combos with something else I'll be picking up later.

Level 10:
Class Features: Inured to undeath- Necrotic resistance and Max HP can't be reduced.
New Cantrip: Frostbite???
Free Spells: Contact other plane- Contacting otherworldly maddening creatures for fun and profit.
Geas- I can make someone do something I want for 30 days 'nuff said.

Level 11:
Free Spells: Contingency- My if x does y cast z spell.
Disintegrate- One of the highest single target damaging spells in the game, combined with polymorph it's an instant kill regardless of the damage dealt, when disintegrate reduces something to 0hp it automatically dies and requires a 9th level spell to revive it typically when you drop to 0 while polymorphed or shapechanged you'd shift back to your normal form and take the excess damage to your hp but the trigger for disintegrate takes effect before that happens and you're instantly dead :v:, druids beware.

Level 12:
Class Features: Otto's Irresistible Dance- An action denial spell that doesn't allow the target to make a save unless they actually use their action doing so, great for locking down critters that have non-action things that let them make saves off turn.
Chain lightning- Simple multitarget damage no muss no fuss.
ASI: +2 Dex
Free Spells:

Level 13:
Class Features:
Free Spells: Finger of Death- Kill a humanoid(ugh let me make horse zombies and stuff) target make them into a permanent zombie
Planeshift- Save vs essentially Die, send a target to the plane of positive energy or something and they next to immediately die.

Level 14:
Class Features: Arcane Tradition- Command undead- Turn a stupid undead creature into a permanant servant or a smart one into a temporary slave, combo this with feeblemind later to make ever-loyal vampire thralls or something along those lines.
Free Spells: Delayed blast fireball- Trap fireball that gets more dangerous the longer you leave it around.
Etherealness- Walk through the dungeon's walls and save yourself the hassle of exploring.

Level 15:
Class Features:
Free Spells: antipathy/sympathy- Cast this on a gold coin and toss it into a mob, set off delayed blast fireball and let it charge to full before releasing it while the group gawps at a coin 20d6 damage ahoy.
Feeblemind- Makes people feeble in the mind.

Level 16:
HP increase: 37( Average +1 con +32 from tough)
Class Features:
ASI: Tough
Free Spells: Abi-dalzim's horrid wilting- Pretty meh but I'm at a shortage of necromancy attack spells to take advantage of Grim Harvest with.
Maze- Basically a you're gone and you can't escape on dumb enemies. The target automatically is thrown into a magical labyrinth and has to make a dc20 int check which means no proficiency bonus, if they have lower than 10 int they are gone for the duration of the spell(10 minutes.)

Level 17:
HP increase: 7( Average +1 con +2 tough)
Class Features:
Free Spells: Wish- Haha so broken.
Foresight- 8 hours of advantage on everything and everyone having disadvantage to do things to you.

Level 18:
Class Features: Spell Mastery pick a first and second level spell and cast at will when prepared. Welcome to infinite +5 ac from shield.
Free Spells: Shape change- I can change into a dragon.
Prismatic Wall- A wall that inflicts something like 50d6 damage, blinds, restrains, petrifies, and banishes the target trying to walk through it :smugwizard:.

Level 19:
Class Features:
ASI: +2 dex
Free Spells: True Polymorph- I can turn the rest of the party into dragons permanantly.
Meteor Swarm- What it says on the tin.

Level 20:
Class Features: Signature Spells: Pick two 3rd level spells, cast each of them once per short rest without spending a slot.
Free Spells: Magic Missile and Jump- Clearly the most important spells in the god drat game.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 19, 2016

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are you waiting for more input from us, Waador?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Angrymog posted:

Are you waiting for more input from us, Waador?

Sorry no I am not, things have just been ridiculous at work, was up until 3AM last night dealing with a problem. I am hoping to have time to update tonight, as I believe you have all taken your turns.
Apologies for the slowdown that has been happening in this combat.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

No worries, just checking. Hope work calms down for you, that doesn't sound much fun.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sorry for the long delay, folks. My grandfather passed away, and it really threw me for a loop.

I stepped back from most of my commitments in order to spend time with my family. It helped a lot, and I've started making a conscious effort to start picking up things in my regular schedule again so that I don't fall into another funk.

I'll be keeping things short (and probably won't be on IRC much) until my dissertation is done a few weeks from now, but I should be posting again in the very least!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Forever_Peace posted:

Sorry for the long delay, folks. My grandfather passed away, and it really threw me for a loop.

I stepped back from most of my commitments in order to spend time with my family. It helped a lot, and I've started making a conscious effort to start picking up things in my regular schedule again so that I don't fall into another funk.

I'll be keeping things short (and probably won't be on IRC much) until my dissertation is done a few weeks from now, but I should be posting again in the very least!

I'm sorry for your loss.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Forever_Peace posted:

:sympathy:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Really sorry to hear that.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Always an awful thing to go through. My condolences duder.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Thanks folks, I appreciate the kind words.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

pre:
Jozan conceivably could Help Daimon out of the trap, or use Guidance and hope that a Hero Point will make up the slack.

Because we all love math, apparently the Help action has about an 11% better chance of succeeding, assuming a Hero Point in both cases.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

P.d0t posted:

Because we all love math, apparently the Help action has about an 11% better chance of succeeding, assuming a Hero Point in both cases.

I'd have to wait for the next round to make the help option but I will keep it in mind.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Waador posted:

Hero points
whenever a character fails a death saving throw, the player can spend one hero point to turn the failure into a success.

Botting Autumn as follows, for the rest of the encounter:
    if Autumn fails a death save that would cause her to die outright (i.e. a natural 1 on a save when already at 1 failure, or a failed save when already at 2 failures) spend [Hero_Point] to negate the failure

She'll recoverstabilize eventually, and hopefully our opponent will be dead when that happens :v:
If she somehow gets a natural 20, then :toot:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Going to cast Dissonant whispers on the bandit leader and then back away, but can't do a dicerolly post until tonight. If you want to move on, please roll my dice for me.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Did we loot the chest that was out over by that bonfire yet, or just the one at the camp with the poo poo hole?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

We haven't no, I assume it's empty because it was lit up next to where the bandits with oil jars were waiting to presumably ambush us, but it's worth checking out. Worst case we'll just sell the chest for more money :v:.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
So Autumn is gonna be Rogue1/Cleric1/Ranger2

Then at level5...? I'm debating taking either Druid or Wizard, for the immediate free cantrips (as mentioned, it allows me to take an attack cantrip or 2, right at the level that their damage scales up.)

On the one hand, I was sorta angling to have WIS do all of my spellcasting, and Wizard would be using my INT (+2)
On the other hand, Druid is sort of annoying because it basically limits me to Hide armor, which is just as good as Studded Leather, with my DEX (+2) -- barring the DM handwaving/allowing me/us to fabricate some sort of non-metal Medium Armor that is better than Hide.

For Wizard, what would be some good Schools that mesh well with the other stuff my character does?

Alternately, should I just take Rogue for a few more levels and get some cantrips from Arcane Trickster?

--

I probably should try and get Mass Healing Word, which would mean taking Cleric to 5th level, after dipping into whatever else at level 5. Right?

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 20, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

P.d0t posted:

So Autumn is gonna be Rogue1/Cleric1/Ranger2

Then at level5...? I'm debating taking either Druid or Wizard, for the immediate free cantrips (as mentioned, it allows me to take an attack cantrip or 2, right at the level that their damage scales up.)

On the one hand, I was sorta angling to have WIS do all of my spellcasting, and Wizard would be using my INT (+2)
On the other hand, Druid is sort of annoying because it basically limits me to Hide armor, which is just as good as Studded Leather, with my DEX (+2) -- barring the DM handwaving/allowing me/us to fabricate some sort of non-metal Medium Armor that is better than Hide.

For Wizard, what would be some good Schools that mesh well with the other stuff my character does?

Alternately, should I just take Rogue for a few more levels and get some cantrips from Arcane Trickster?

--

I probably should try and get Mass Healing Word, which would mean taking Cleric to 5th level, after dipping into whatever else at level 5. Right?

If you really want to be able to heal but do other things like offensive spells and skill checks Waador is always singing the praises of Bard 6/Life Cleric 1 where you steal Aura of Vitality from the Paladin spell list. You'll be able to drop tons of healing while still having the dope list of bard spells. And then you'll be proficient or half proficient in a ton of things.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I am going to be out of country from the 25th through to the 2nd. I will endeavor to get a post up tomorrow resolving the various in-process actions, as well as the questions to the awakened person, and then resolving the bandit leader awaking as well. That will give you a few days to sort through your questions for her and plan your next steps once you receive her answers, if any. I am not sure what the internet situation is going to look like while away so can't promise any updates during that time period.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Trast posted:

If you really want to be able to heal but do other things like offensive spells and skill checks Waador is always singing the praises of Bard 6/Life Cleric 1 where you steal Aura of Vitality from the Paladin spell list. You'll be able to drop tons of healing while still having the dope list of bard spells. And then you'll be proficient or half proficient in a ton of things.

Well I'm already a Cleric so I can't gain another domain, and I don't have the CHA to MC into Bard :v:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Waador posted:

I am going to be out of country from the 25th through to the 2nd. I will endeavor to get a post up tomorrow resolving the various in-process actions, as well as the questions to the awakened person, and then resolving the bandit leader awaking as well. That will give you a few days to sort through your questions for her and plan your next steps once you receive her answers, if any. I am not sure what the internet situation is going to look like while away so can't promise any updates during that time period.

Apologies, preparation to leave the country was a bit more hectic than anticipated, and things have been a nightmare at work since getting back. On top of that (although it's kind of like cheating on all of you), most of my spare time has been spent getting ready to launch a D&D live-play podcast with my local gaming group. I will have spare time this weekend to actually do normal person things and will get you all a proper update by then, if not sooner. Happy new year in the meantime!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Aside from wanting to continue the adventures of the disciple of butterflies and getting lost I cant blame you for being busy. I recently started DMing so I cant imagine all the prep going into a live show.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

:aaaaa:

Well that sounds like a really fun find. gently caress yeah, utility cittern!

My interpretation of the rules as written is that Clive can, in the very least, use this as his spellcasting focus even though he is not proficient in the instrument. I also think the RAW allow him to cast the per-day spells without the skill check, but I think there is some ambiguity there.

First, the spellcasting focus. The rulebook simply states that "A bard can use a musical instrument as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter 10." And the focus simply takes the place of the material and/or somatic components of a spell. This allows a bard to cast spells by, for example, playing the instrument, where the instrument counts as the material component and the act of playing counts as the somatic component. Because some of the instruments (like flutes) require air, the consensus seems to be that the sound of the instrument also counts as the verbal component (though this is mostly fluff - it doesn't allow a bard to to evade being silenced, for example). But you could also cast a spell by having the instrument fill the material component, but still have the somatic components performed with a free hand. The intention is that the bard focuses on the instrument, but can actually cast spells by singing and dancing around (and channeling magical currents or whatever through the instrument). The PHB references this by stating that your spells can also take the form of stories: "Your magic comes from the heart and soul you pour into the performance of your music or oration." There is no specific requirement that the bard must be proficient in the particular instrument in order to use it as a focus. But I think the RAW make it clear that this is not an oversight: the RAW allow a method of casting that explicitly does not actually require even playing the instrument (such as dancing, telling stories, or singing). So I think it's pretty unambiguous that Clive could use the cittern as a spellcasting focus.

But I think this also extents to casting the per-day spells. The instrument proficiency follows the rules of all the other tools: "Proficiency with a tool allows you to add your proficiency bonus to any ability check you make using that tool." This is echoed in the entry for musical instruments: "If you have proficiency with a given musical instrument, you can add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to play music with the instrument." Each instrument is a different proficiency. Of course, like the rest of the tools, you actually need to posses the tool in order to perform the activity in the first place: "A tool helps you to do something you couldn't otherwise do, such as craft or repair an item, forge a document, or pick a lock." Possession of cooking utensils would allow somebody to attempt cooking the first place, but if they are not proficient, they don't add their proficiency bonus. Similarly, I think Clive could play the cittern for fun or for some sort of skill or ability check, but would not get the benefit of the proficiency bonus. Essentially, the only thing that proficiency does is add the proficiency bonus to ability checks.

Even for casting spells with magic instruments, they list required proficiencies overtly. For example, the pipes of haunting require proficiency in wind instruments in order to play them. The instrument of the bards doesn't - it only requires "attunement by a bard".

I would argue that the per-day spells are not ability checks, they are spell castings, and Clive could utilize those spells as a bard just like he could use a non-proficient instrument as a spellcasting focus, as he meets the "use" requirements stipulated by the instrument. In this case, I think it's clear though that the saving throws listed for the cittern would be triggered if Clive tried to play it for an ability check.

I'm OK with whatever you decide as the DM, and I trust your judgment. Like, it looks like the DC 15 performance check you listed differs from the simple attunement requirement listed on that website's description, which I assume comes from the DMG and would have pretty unambiguously allowed Clive to use the instrument without problem, but I figure you probably had good reasons for making the change and I'm not interested in double-guessing your narrative decisions (you're way more experienced and are really doing an awesome job as DM). I just want to get on the same page. And I think that even with the rules as you posted them, Clive could use the instrument as I described above with the RAW from the PhB. Thanks for considering this and for helping to reach a consensus.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Actually, you know what? Even after writing that, I'm not sure I really care enough about the RAW to argue all that in good faith. Having fun with a good narrative is preferable 100% of the time to me. Running the risk of taking damage on the once per days is actually an interesting mechanic, and learning how to play some loving guitar is a good character goal. I'm on board with skill checks on the once per days until Clive has proficiency!

I'm also amused by the thought of spamming avant-garde noise rock in a desperate attempt to do something useful. =)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Clive = Cacophonix.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Clive = Cacophonix.

Plot twist: Clive crit fails performance check, but nobody can tell the difference.

Bats take 2d4 shitshow damage.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Your rules as written interpretation is correct, and I definitely added the 'must be proficient in the instrument' piece as an addendum to what is in the DMG, largely because I suspect it would slightly imbalance things in the short-term if it wasn't present (and partially because I think it's funny that the guitar fries you if you don't have a good jam). Had you by some miracle been proficient in the cittern or a guitar already I'd have rolled with it though, so there's that.

Practically speaking, until you are proficient with the instrument, the intent is to make a skill check whenever it is conveying a mechanical benefit. This would apply when you are using it to cast one of its inherent spells (such as fly), and when casting a charm spell (since it intervenes to give the creature disadvantage on the saving throw). While I don't think it has to risk causing damage when using it for other purposes, such as being a spellcasting focus or just a literal instrument capable of producing music-shaped noise, I think it probably still will, as part of a narrative explanation for why that college produces the best bards in the world: constant threat of your instrument burning your hands off if you don't play it properly. It's like a nun teaching piano and she smacks your hands with a ruler every time you make a mistake, except made automatic by the wonders of enchantment.

As for the performance check, I don't really have a preference as to the mechanical effects of failing it. The two options are basically:
> You fail the performance check, and the spell works anyway, but you must risk the Wisdom saving throw or take damage. This is a risky play since most of those spells are concentration, and you might immediately lose the spell, as well as the 1/day ability to cast it.
> You fail the performance check, and the spell doesn't work, but its slot is not expended, either from you or the instrument. You must risk the Wisdom saving throw or take damage, but can attempt to cast the spell again next round.

I'm not inclined to force one or the other on you, since it sort of tinkers with the value of the instrument, but you should probably think about which approach you'd prefer to take and we can roll with it.

As for the last piece of the puzzle (being becoming proficient in the instrument), normally you would need to pay 1 gold piece per day for 250 days, and learn from a qualified trainer. Because the instrument physically harms you every time you make a mistake, however, I am inclined to say that it was designed to basically replace teachers in the learning process (another reason why it is a small bardic college), so the gold cost wouldn't be present. You would, however, have to spend at least eight hours practicing with the instrument each day to get credit in the learning process.

While this is consistent with the requirement in the DMG, I did debate shortening it to one hour each day. However, it is much funnier to have you plucking away at a lute while the group explores, despite their protests, for nearly a year.

Waador fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 8, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Thanks for helping me think through the reasoning. I think I've done a complete 180 from my original reaction after actually stopping to think about it.

Like, it really doesn't make sense to play magical songs on an instrument you have no idea who to use, and from a mechanical perspective, I think the risk of damage is both really fair and probably pretty balanced.

I really, really don't want the per-day spells to prevent the introduction of meaningful challenges to the party. Just saying "oh, I use the utility cittern and it solves the problem" over and over seems aggressively uninteresting for everybody involved. The concentration requirement helps prevent it from being OP during combat, but Clive is sort of built to ad-lib fun stuff to do outside of combat too. I think the risk/reward balance you've introduced is mechanically interesting and really fits with the improvisational nature of the character.

Speaking of which, I think I would have a preference for the first option for how to handle failure. I like the idea that the damage could immediately break concentration (i.e. the spell fizzles) and force Clive to think of something different without being able to retry the spell. When plan A fails, I think it's more fun to move to plan B, rather than take some damage and then just try plan A over again.

As for gaining proficiency, I think I'd probable actually prefer not working on proficiency at all until we have a good sense for how the utility cittern actually impacts the game. If it seems fun, balanced, and interesting as-is, I'm fine just rolling with it pretty much indefinitely without proficiency. If Clive ends up spending a little too much time standing in a corner finger-bleeding himself to a useless death, then maybe we can revisit "learning to play some god-damned guitar". But that's a bridge we can cross when we actually come to it.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Sounds good to me.

As for the current state of things, we probably shouldn't waste too much more time discussing what to do with the prisoner. If you want to put it to a vote, that could work, or the people with the power to just decide what happens (i.e. Jergo moving five thousand pounds of dirt onto her) can also do that. The only horse I have in this race likes apples, so you guys are free to do whatever you want, though I think it is clear that both paths have their risks and potential rewards at this point.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
To help things out, a quick impromptu/not-really-official tally. I've tried to discern the general attitude from recent posts, so keep in mind these are subject to change and/or inaccuracy until we get more direct posts on the subject..

To kill: Daimon, Jergo (2)

To Keep Alive/Escort: Jorvan (1)

Whichever: Lucan, Clive (2)

Yet To Weigh In: Autumn (1)

Lucan is impartial as a character, but as the player I am tempted to throw my lot in with the Kill option. Though I'd rather see pd0t's vote before doing anything.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

If it helps, as a player, I think it makes more narrative sense not to overcomplicate things so early in the campaign. Maybe when we have a budding kingdom and can handwave away any personnel management that starts to get tedious. But for now, I think monitoring the every move of a lethal hostage at the "barely-not-a-shitfarmer" stage could drag things a bit.

The approach I'm taking with Clive here is 1) he wants all the secrets and will do dumb stuff to get and/or keep secrets at pretty much every opportunity, and 2) Cityboy Clive is going to just continue approaching every problem just like he would have done as a court "fixer", completely oblivious that things might work differently in the middle of loving nowhere.

A complicated scheme for a useful informant to blackmail themselves into spilling the beans just sort of felt right for him. But I (FP) have no problem wrapping things up and moving on with the campaign.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Speaking as a spectator, making friends with and recruiting an ex-bandit captain can only result in fun times. Killing them is a very neat and clean solution (and probably legally mandated) but also closes off an avenue of adventure.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Ske's got a point.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

It might cut off an avenue of adventure sure, but also I don't want my throat slit in my sleep 2 weeks from now by the person I've been openly discussing murdering/mutilating within earshot.

Were this 9th+ level where I could basically ensure she wouldn't try to backstab us? Sure I'd be cool with allowing her to live, but it's not and I'd rather not have to micromanage a prisoner who is capable of solo-murdering the poo poo out of the party by herself provided the dice play along and as we've seen with her they are more than happy to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Just so you know if you all vote the execute her I am fine with that. I'm just playing Jorvan how I feel he'd react to the situation.

• Locked thread