Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

like the poll itself, this picture shamelessly stolen

Forums poster Illinois Smith ran a fun little poll over the winter in an attempt to determine SAS' favorite basketball players, a thread you can see here. In my fine tradition of stealing other peoples' ideas (and format, and wording, and basically everything) and applying them to baseball, we're going to do the same!

We're going to do whaaaa?
If you want in, send me a list of your 10 favorite active MLB players. By "favorite," I mean a guy you like. You can like him for whatever reason - on field performance, off field shenanigans, mad twitter game, dreamy eyes, took you out for drinks one night, I don't care why. We're not identifying the "best" players, we're looking for your favorites. By "active MLB player" I mean a player who has been on an MLB 25-man roster sometime in the course of the 2015 season.

Send your list (and your username) to sassheepgame@gmail.com. I know this isn't a sheep game but I'll be damned if I make a new gmail address for every stupid internet sports thing I do. Please number the list to help with the tabulation - you can just copy/paste this and fill it out.

Your #1 player will receive 10 points, your #2 player will receive 9, your #3 will receive 8, and so on. If you send me an incomplete list, it hurts your top picks - so if you send me a list of 5 players, the top one receives 5, the next receives 4, etc.

Wait a minute, why not 50?
Eh, I think 25 is enough for us.

Can I vote for garbage players like Jeff Francouer #1
Yes! Any reason! Your username will not be attached to your votes, either!

Can I vote repeatedly for all Royals?
ALL STAR JOKE LANDED only vote once please

What about guys who would be playing this year but are on the DL?
Yeah, OK, sure

Deadline???
Please mail your ballots by the end of Tuesday, June 30 (10 days from now). I'll start the countdown shortly thereafter, posting a few players a day, leading up to the all-star game.

----------

Please do not post your ballots in this thread, at least until the polling is over. But do post in this thread to argue for certain players, point out players that other people might overlook, post videos and .jpgs and .gifs of players, use stats to prove your case, invent stats that prove your case, complain about how stats are meaningless in a popularity contest, whatever.

Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hope you like lists of A-Rod 10 times. Because that is going to happen at least once.

Edit: also reminding everyone that Munenori Kawasaki was recalled yesterday, so...

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 20, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
reminder that Brandon McCarthy's twitter exists

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Hope you like lists of A-Rod 10 times. Because that is going to happen at least once.

Edit: also reminding everyone that Munenori Kawasaki was recalled yesterday, so...

Can I just put A-Rod down 10 times?
yes but I will count duplicates as though they didn't exist, so he would count as a 1-entry list and only get 1 point

I'm actually really interested to see how people vote - superstars with big numbers? guys from their own team? forums heroes? joke answers?

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
I was expecting a larger proportion of my list to be current or former White Sox players, but so many of my favorites have retired or are otherwise out of the league. That was a little depressing to discover.

On a different note, you all should vote for Chris Sale. Watching this scarecrow man clown opposing batters is one of baseball's most satisfying experiences.

Also this:

Poque posted:

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Xenophon posted:

Can I vote for garbage players like Jeff Francouer #1
Yes! Any reason! Your username will not be attached to your votes, either!

A vote for Frenchy is a vote for freedom :patriot:

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

One Tall Fellow posted:

On a different note, you all should vote for Chris Sale. Watching this scarecrow man clown opposing batters is one of baseball's most satisfying experiences.

Also:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Yeah, basically.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Sweet! I did this here two years back (stealing Illinois Smith's idea before it was cool).

I believe the top two were RA Dickey and Mike Trout.

This will be fun!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I'm upset that Andy LaRoche isn't eligible :qq:

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

This motherfucker.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

To add to this:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure if I should answer this seriously, then again like 90% of my favorite players are gimmicks anyways.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm not sure if I should answer this seriously, then again like 90% of my favorite players are gimmicks anyways.

Really though, how can you not answer it seriously? It's whatever players you most like, pure and simple.

Do you like a player? Put him down. No gimmicks necessary.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, last time I did the NBA list at least half of the 185 players entered were role players / bench guys who got 1-2 votes each. We usually do 20-player ballots though so there's more room for those guys.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I think we did 25 player votes last time we did this for MLB?

Either way, Peter Bourjos :swoon:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
There is only one answer to who is Number 1

:getin:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Poque posted:

There are names like Mike Trout, Paul Goldschmidt, Clayon Kershaw etc, and Brandon McCarthy is the first one that came to mind.

https://twitter.com/bmccarthy32/status/172891696177229824

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Had to stop myself from putting in Joe Maddon everytime I was stumped.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

To save you some effort, I checked and Seth McClung is no longer active in the major leagues

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Submitted my dumb ballot.

Also I urge people to vote for Giancarlo, because who doesn't love dingers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Submitted my ballot with my one true love at #1.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

mentholmoose posted:

Submitted my dumb ballot.

Also I urge people to vote for Giancarlo, because who doesn't love dingers.

Giancarlo also offers a wide array of dingers for your dinger viewing pleasure. Screamers that bbarely clear the fence and never go more than 40 feet off the ground? He's got 'em. Massive moonshots? He's got 'em.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Good Dog posted:

:hfive:

I fully expect Gorgeous Peter Bourjos to win. :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Good Dog posted:

I think we did 25 player votes last time we did this for MLB?

Peter Bourjos has nothing on Brian Dozier :colbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Peter Bourjos has nothing on Brian Dozier :colbert:

Google search has an autocomplete entry for 'Peter Bourjos gorgeous'. The internet has spoken.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I already want to change my list. This is the hardest thing I've done in months.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
If you need to make changes, you can make changes, but try to be sure...I mean, I like manually futzing about in excel as much as the next guy

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like a lot of really popular players. Who knew.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Just so I'm not the only one who votes for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2rStdh9SyQ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JoeRules posted:

Just so I'm not the only one who votes for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2rStdh9SyQ

did you mean "just in case one or two of you forgot to put him on your ballot" instead? Because I'm pretty sure he's going to be top three just by sheer votecount.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Just a reminder that you need to vote for the gooniest of players in baseball, Glen Perkins.

Neckbeard? Check.

Twitter? Check.

Batflips? Check.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hT4iAv208

Not to mention he's a giant sabermetrics nerd!
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-glen-perkins-a-twin-his-fip-and-math/

Face it, if one of us could throw a 95 MPH fastball, we'd be Glen Perkins.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That took longer than I expected. It hurt me deeply to include a Brewer but Carlos Gomez plays with so much heart that I can't help but love the dude.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

I like a lot of really popular players. Who knew.

I ended up going with "Who do switch to on MLB tv when I know they're coming up/pitching?" It seemed like the only way to actually make a list.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Is this going to be followed up with a poll of SAS's least favorite players?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Is this going to be followed up with a poll of SAS's least favorite players?

A couple people have brought this up and I'd be happy to do it!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
The Jays have so many guys that I love: Donaldson, Martin, Bautista, Reyes, Buehrle, Dickey, Mune, and Stroman.

But I gotta say Mccutchen is the coolest dude in baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Propaganda:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/tv-cameras-catch-josh-donaldson-telling-angels-gently caress-yo-1705313991

• Locked thread